Old May 2, 2002, 21:45   #1
BillChin
Warlord

Local Time: 16:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Unofficial May Tourney game
May is here. This is an unofficial tourney game for May. Same rules, no reloading, no restarting, 1.21f base rules. I turned off Culturally Linked and Restarting.

The April game turned into a ball buster for many folks so the May game is a Regent level game, standard size map, random map type, random barbs. I started four games before I got one with some decent land. Random Civ came up the Chinese on the 4th roll.

Enjoy.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav may, 4000 bc.sav (58.9 KB, 54 views)
Old May 2, 2002, 21:46   #2
BillChin
Warlord

Picture:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	may2.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	14525  
Old May 2, 2002, 22:11   #3
Tuberski

Local Time: 19:00
I'm going to give it a try when I get home!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 4, 2002, 16:22   #4
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:00
I'll give it a try, could someone post an unmoded civ3mod.bic file please?
Old May 4, 2002, 16:48   #5
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:00
In 1.21, the civ3mod.bic settings are saved in the savegame, IIRC.
Old May 5, 2002, 02:20   #6
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:00
Doh!, am I that stupid. Too bad. Time to start playing.
Old May 5, 2002, 12:41   #7
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 01:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
chinese riders: riding
I started playing much sooner this month, and have come to the point where chinese riders are riding: IMO they make a tremendous job .
Main problems encountered previously:
1) The guidebook that told me that the chinese civ is scientific and made me research literature .
2) The low number of luxuries available on the island.
3) The jungle (the biggest area of jungle I have met up to now)

Otherwise it went smoothly. Did it go swiftly? This is the big question mark when playing a comparison game. Wait and see...
Old May 6, 2002, 05:21   #8
Erik Mesoy
Settler

Local Time: 02:00
Hey! :rant:
That link's broken! SOmebody betterfix it!
Old May 6, 2002, 12:06   #9
BillChin
Warlord

Re: Hey! :rant:
Quote:
Originally posted by Erik Mesoy
That link's broken! SOmebody betterfix it!
It is broken

I'll try a repost here
Attached Files:
File Type: sav may, 4000 bc.sav (58.9 KB, 9 views)
Old May 6, 2002, 12:22   #10
BillChin
Warlord

The repost is just as bad. Sorry folks, it looks like that section is offline as of this writing. I'll check it every now and again and report if the link is back up. I appreciate it if anyone else gets a successful download. The counter is at 18 on the original and 0 on the repost, so if the counter moves off that, it probably means the link is back up.

If anyone has to have the game ASAP, email me at WChin8@hotmail.com and I'll email the 60k attachment to you. Though the link may be back up by the time I get around to emailing
Old May 6, 2002, 15:32   #11
gus_smedstad
Warlord

I just downloaded it and the link seems to work just fine.

- Gus
Old May 7, 2002, 05:40   #12
La Fayette
King

no more riding
Those chinese riders were riding so nicely that I was almost compelled to choose domination...achieved in 1265.

(La Fayette, relaxing after a long ride)
Attached Files:
File Type: zip lafayette unoffmay 1260ad .zip (151.5 KB, 8 views)
Old May 7, 2002, 09:22   #13
watorrey
Warlord

do we have a spoiler thread yet?
Old May 7, 2002, 17:49   #14
BillChin
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by watorrey
do we have a spoiler thread yet?
I thought we could use this thread for spoilers, like MarkG did with the original tourney games. With six participants in the April game, a separate thread for spoilers seems excessive.

Maybe keep any real key information out until after the 15th of the month, but even that is only a suggestion. There is already one finished game posted (La Fayette) so someone could download that, watch the replay, and learn most everything they need to know

P. S. One more footnote, version 1.21f zips the saved games all the time now, so there is no longer a need to zip before uploading finished games.
Old May 8, 2002, 00:55   #15
La Fayette
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BillChin

There is already one finished game posted (La Fayette) so someone could download that, watch the replay, and learn most everything they need to know
...provided La Fayette's strategy was OK, which remains to be seen .
Anyway we play for fun and don't care for cheaters, do we?
Old May 10, 2002, 02:18   #16
Carcajou
Settler

Diplomatic win in 1766 AD with 2302 points.

In 1764 AD, change the production in Tsingtao from Palace to U.N.

Normally I do not bother with Chivalry and wait for Military Tradition. In this game, I needed the Riders for Golden Age.

I really underestimated the power of those Riders and let Gandhi
build his empire. In fact he had Cavalry first.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav carcajou nonoffmay 1764 ad.sav (253.5 KB, 1 views)
Old May 10, 2002, 07:48   #17
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

"Archers Explore" Opening
China's starting technologies open up a possibility for an interesting opening gambit. In the "Archers Explore" opening, the idea is to build a barracks first thing and then start churning out veteran archers (however many fit) in between settlers. As additional cities are founded, have them do the same. The down sides are (1) early exploration lags behind, (2) if the archers are out exploring, there's little or nothing at home if barbarians show up, and (3) there aren't as many spare units lying around to assist with happiness. On the other hand, bring two or three exploring veteran archer units together against a rival capital defended only by warriors and it's easy pickings, and larger groups of archers can hit cities defended by spearmen.

By the way, the mark to beat for an early domination victory is now 1160 AD (with a score of 4270 if I remember right). With Riders available for early blitzing, I couldn't resist trying a heavily militaristic strategy even though it's not my usual style. I'll post my save file later.

My date of victory is definitely beatable (at least if one has a good strategy and is willing to do the necessary micromanagement). I like to think I had a solid basic strategy, but my execution and luck ran into a few hiccups. I'll be interested to see how my results hold up as others finish the game.

Nathan
Old May 11, 2002, 00:14   #18
watorrey
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Carcajou
Diplomatic win in 1766 AD with 2302 points.
Isn't the goal for diplomatic victory the highest score instead of fastest?

Just want to make sure.
Old May 11, 2002, 01:01   #19
BillChin
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by watorrey
Isn't the goal for diplomatic victory the highest score instead of fastest?
Just want to make sure.
That's what Civfanatics decided, so it sounds good to me. However, the Apolyton tournament is so small right now that I'm not going to worry about these fine distinctions until I get more than 20 submissions for one game. A player can usually get a space victory if they are ready for a diplomatic victory. Anyway, the whole enterprise is just for fun. Enjoy.
Old May 11, 2002, 01:27   #20
watorrey
Warlord

Quote:

That's what Civfanatics decided, so it sounds good to me. However, the Apolyton tournament is so small right now that I'm not going to worry about these fine distinctions until I get more than 20 submissions for one game. A player can usually get a space victory if they are ready for a diplomatic victory. Anyway, the whole enterprise is just for fun. Enjoy.

Well... i see there are 28 downloads of this game. I suspect there will be more submissions this month because it is a regent level game. Damn interesting map also

I am in 1620AD and almost have the UN finished. So that leaves me with a possible fastest space race (latter half of 1700's i suspect) or i could milk the game till 2050 for a really high score. the latter seems too time consuming however.

Domination was tempting, but i couldn't beat the first post. That is why i asked about a spoiler thread. Having that posted here changed the way i played the game.

Anyway... gotta get this done so i can play the 2nd tourney game.
Old May 11, 2002, 02:45   #21
La Fayette
King

sorry Watorrey
I shouldn't have written the date. Won't do it again.
Old May 11, 2002, 11:07   #22
watorrey
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by La Fayette
sorry Watorrey
I shouldn't have written the date. Won't do it again.
No problem really. I understand the idea of not starting a separate spoiler thread for this. This is 'unofficial' and we aren't winning any prizes. I had a load of fun on this map though.

Soooo.... i just finished my game. Year to beat for space race is 1764ad. 4763 score.

I didn't like having the Zulus next to me so i did a warrior rush on them while they still only had 2 cities. No more Zulus. That set me up for taking over the upper part of the continent. When i got too spread out, i let the others found new cities for me

The lighthouse set me up for trade routes with the other civs so i had lots of luxuries early on. Once i got chivalry, i upgraded my horsemen and started taking over. I cleaned off the continent before the other civs ever had contact with them. My reputation was impeccable with them and all but the Japanese were gracious most of the time. They also made good customers for my techs. I got so big that it was costing me a fortune for luxuries however.

I built a new palace toward the southern part of the continent with my second or third leader. FP was in the upper middle. That made almost the whole thing productive, especially after police stations.

From the late middle ages on, i was researching at 4 turns per tech. I probably could have gotten an earlier launch if i didn't go for a couple of optional techs along the way.

It is almost the middle of the month so i am posting the game. One has already been posted anyway.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav watorrey_may02, 1762 ad.sav (241.6 KB, 1 views)
Old May 11, 2002, 22:37   #23
hallumj
Settler

Local Time: 00:00
Here's my finish.
Here's my finish. I wasn't too aggressive in this game, so I didn't rack up that high of a score. Looking now at other peoples results, I see I could have been very aggressive and ended the game much faster. I attacked the Americans first on a swordsmen rush, leaving them pretty much 4 cities around the hump of the continent. Next, I needed the horses that the Zulus were hoarding, so I attacked them and took that hill with the iron and the horses, too, which left the Zulu's Iron free for some time. I took their continent to their capital in the first war, and let the Indians start the second war. I took the north half from sea to sea then. Unfortunately, I leadered the Forbidden City right next to the Indian border, expecting a war with them, and it never came. Wasted about half of it. Oh well. I'll learn next time. Fun game. Final score, 2460 pts, 1868 AD.
Old May 11, 2002, 22:38   #24
hallumj
Settler

Local Time: 00:00
Crap, forgot the file:
Here' tis.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav hallum_finish-1868 ad.sav (281.8 KB, 4 views)
Old May 17, 2002, 12:49   #25
BillChin
Warlord

* bump *

There is still time to start and finish the May game. My game is almost done. It is a fun map that gives the player a lot of ways to win the game.
Old May 19, 2002, 11:36   #26
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 20:00
Just a post to upload my game because I've been playing at my mom's this weekend, but I'm not done yet and I want to be able to download it at home. This will be deleted later today after I do so, though you can feel free to look at it, if you want.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav may, 4000 bc.sav (152.2 KB, 1 views)
Old May 24, 2002, 11:07   #27
BillChin
Warlord

My game is one of warmongering. I build warriors, upgrade to swordsmen and go after America. After I get three additional cities in the peace treaty I swing the sword against the Zulu. I leave Shaka with one city and then finish off the Americans and press the war against Ghandi. By the time war with India breaks out, Riders start to come online. They make short work of India.

The rest is mostly mop up action. Domination victory in 1295, score of 4472. I seem to always be a step slower, and a few points behind NBarclay.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav bcmayap.sav (186.5 KB, 0 views)
Old May 25, 2002, 00:32   #28
gus_smedstad
Warlord

Domination, 3794 points, 1670 AD
This was pretty easy, but obviously I didn't push as hard as some folks here. I did the typical expand / expand / horsemen attack. Americans were my first victims, followed by the Indians. I left the Zulu alone early on because Impi can force losses against horsemen. When I got Chivlary I wiped 'em out.

I don't really see how you get a domination victory before 1200 AD. Sure, it's easy enough to get your own continent under control well before then. The issue is getting Navigation or Magnetism for the cross-ocean attack early enough.

- Gus
Attached Files:
File Type: sav gus_smedstad_1665 ad.sav (214.2 KB, 1 views)
Old May 25, 2002, 00:33   #29
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
The rest is mostly mop up action. Domination victory in 1295, score of 4472. I seem to always be a step slower, and a few points behind NBarclay.
Actually, you beat me by a 202 points. My save file for the official game is enclosed.

By the way, I replayed the game to hone my skills at using Riders (although I'm not sure how well what I learned will carry over into games at higher skill levels). In my first, third, and fourth replay attempts, I cut my margins too thin for the luck I had in my initial attacks and missed my goal of taking both enemy capitals. Those games, I aborted early. My second replay brought victory in 1000 AD and my fifth in 920 AD. (And that's trying to avoid taking unfair advantage of knowing the map.)

My top game came with a combination of three strategies:

(1) An "archers advance" opening using two archers each to take the enemy capitals. I used the archers to garrison the capitals after having had Washington flip in my first replay attempt when I just left a one-unit garrison.

(2) I then went into a combination of builder and settler flood tactics, building practically no more military for centuries. During that time, I went maximum research to get Riders. (Marketplaces were big on my build queue.)

(3) Once riders were ready, it was blitz-blitz-blitz.

My attacks started with America, capturing everything worth capturing and then making peace. (I left America with a couple size one cities that I could go back and take at will later.) After that war, I immediately hit India. The American war resulted in a golden age, during which I kept research high and beelined for Military Tradition.

Thanks to a lack of handy saltpeter, I wasn't in a good position to upgrade to cavalry during the Indian war, but I did upgrade my non-elite riders to cavalry in time for the (brief) Zulu campaign. During these wars, I kept pushing research, going after Magnetism.

I just barely managed to find the other continent with a combination of the Great Lighthouse and galleys before I discovered Magnitism (just as the Zulu war ended - I delayed that war to recall my elite riders in hope of getting a great leader). From there, it was upgrade my galleys and caravels to galleons, ferry my large cavalry and elite rider force across the waves, and blitz-blitz-blitz. Interestingly, the domination victory in that game came just as I was preparing to take the last two French cities for a conquest victory. (Mostly, I started with Japan and worked down, but some of my forces diverted south to hit the Iroquois while my main body was rampaging through England. Cavalry against pikemen is FUN!)

Nathan
Attached Files:
File Type: sav apolyton may 1150 ad.sav (158.0 KB, 2 views)
Old May 25, 2002, 00:50   #30
BillChin
Warlord

The downloads have been fritzy all day. If for some reason, a player wants to download the 4000 B. C. file, I attached a copy to post number fifteen on this Civfanatics thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=22947

A good player could probably start and finish the game in about 12 hours of playing time.

P. S. Wow I beat Nathan.