Old May 3, 2002, 13:43   #1
chiefpaco
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Upgrading 1.17 games
Hi. I did quite a bit of searching, but haven't found the answer to my double-question yet. Here goes:

-What rules are saved in the 1.21 file?
-If I take a 1.17 game, and save it under 1.21, where does the ruleset come from?

I understand that rules for each 1.21 new game go into the .sav file. Does that include each and every rule from the civ3mod.bic? Tech rates, victory conditions, pop rushing rules, tech tree, unit abilities, etc... i.e. general settings too?

The .bic data is not in 1.17 saves. What happens when a 1.17 game is saved under 1.21? If rules are transferred, are the rules taken from the new civ3mod.bic? Or are the "1.17" rules somehow kept intact?

Here was the change mentioned in 1.21:
Quote:
Game settings are now stored in any save file that uses them. This prevents players from altering their BIC file and using it in an existing game.
Old May 3, 2002, 13:50   #2
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 20:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Chiefpaco, I would hope that 1.21f saves all rules in the .bic file, as advertised. If not, I would consider it a bug.

This is what makes sense to me (and I haven't seen evidence to the contrary):
1.21f can read both 1.17f and 1.21f formats. If it's 1.17f format, then it should behave like 1.17f and use the current civ3mod.bic which is then forever attached to that game for all subsequent saves (in 1.21f format).
Old May 3, 2002, 19:12   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 02:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
When converting a 1.17f SAV to 1.21f the new settings for rules will default to off (which has the effect that the seed no longer will be saved). Also the current civ3mod.bic will be saved in the file IIRC, but I'm not 100% sure on that.