Old April 29, 2001, 00:57   #31
SK138
Warlord

Local Time: 19:56
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I would love a big manaul, but even more than that, I want the unit chart that came with civ2. I always used that chart and when I first got the game I would sit and stare at the chart and look through the different units.
Old April 29, 2001, 04:27   #32
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Ceci n'est pas Snapcase on 04-26-2001 05:00 PM
Both Black and White and Europa Universalis are packed like this here. And most customers don't buy Manual-heavy games, Publishers actually like it and there has been lots of preassure from stores...

None that I can see in this region.

Anybody from the US have seen this "standard" sized game boxes?
Old April 29, 2001, 06:30   #33
Russian King
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:56
I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

We need a double size encyclopedia(civilopedia=encyclopedia*2) as a book!
The manual should include everything. EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING!
I dont wanna waste my time on the pc ,looking at civilopedia! i wanna finish my goddamn turn and get on with the book, read it in bed anytime but not when i use the pc!
Thank thee for posting this WONDEROUS topic!
Old April 30, 2001, 10:57   #34
axemann
Settler

Local Time: 00:56
quote:

Originally posted by Urban Ranger on 04-29-2001 04:27 AM
None that I can see in this region.

Anybody from the US have seen this "standard" sized game boxes?

I just purchased EU in the USA this past week, and it came in the standard-sized box that both Civ2Gold and CTP came in.

As far as manuals go, I would definitely recommend EU as a way *not* to do it. The game does have a paper manual, but with no index or Table of Contents. Further, the manual tells you about the various things you can do in the game, but doesn't actually tell you how to do them! Instead, you have to reply on pop-up windows that happen when you drag the mouse over certain areas. It took me somewhere in the area of an hour or more to figure out what commands to use to progress up the royal marriage-->vassalization-->annexation pathway. Basically, a game as complex as EU REQUIRES an extensive and well-designed manual. And I think that Civ3 should have a good one. For those of us who have been playing the civ games for years, it may not be that difficult to just install and play right away, but I'll bet that Firaxis is counting on a lot of new players for the civ franchise with this game, and I can only think back to how difficult it would have been to start playing Civ1 without its great manual and chart.

Old May 1, 2001, 08:38   #35
Cyberbugs
Settler

Local Time: 00:56
A big paper-manual is good.
But the game also requires an extensive in-game encyclopedia -
en equivalent to the CTP2 "Great Library".
Old May 1, 2001, 14:47   #36
LzPrst
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 Monty PythonCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 02:56
i want a big chunky manual too.

it should have a few funny anecdotes, tutorials, history facts and other neat stuff. (uh-oh rambling ahead) wouldnt it add to the game if the manual was in bible format? i mean with cigarette-paper-thin pages, and a really semi-mystical old-looking cover with the words:

Civilization III
by Sid Meier\Firaxis

written in a odd archaic textformat in kinda faded colors. it would kick ASSS! give it a "i'm discovering something very ancient and forgotten!"-feeling. playing Civ (and learning to) would almost be a spiritual experience! (going nuts i am)

a manual IS necessary, i played a pirated copy (i'm shameful yes) and my first 2 years of civ was played 100% in DESPOTISM! before i figured out the whole "advantage-in-better-trade,-food-and-production-as-well-as-less-corruption". (then again i was only 10 years old when i first learned to play, but still...)

also (this has prolly been discussed and i've not seen it yet) when you discover a new advance there should be lots of info about it. like in Civ1, where its the first you see, then come the specs. civ2 had too little and you had to click a button to find it, SMAC had it almost hidden away and in that tiny window that made it just painful to read. lots of facts so you'd learn a little history as well. after all history IS important!! maybe people wouldnt think history so dead boring and irrelevant if they'd played more Civ1.

anyway thats just my 5 cents.

LzPrst
Old May 1, 2001, 16:50   #37
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:56
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Both Black and White and Europa Universalis are packed like this here. And most customers don't buy Manual-heavy games, Publishers actually like it and there has been lots of preassure from stores...

Have not seen really ANY games (except Sid Meier's Antietam, but that wasn't even supposed to be on store shelves anyway) in the DVD-packaging. Just bought EU, B&W, and just now Tropico. ALL of them came in the cardbord box, where you could put a decent sized manual into.