Old October 13, 2000, 15:33   #1
Daddy-O
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesC3CDG Team BabylonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 17:45
Local Date: October 30, 2010
This might sound odd. I have never tried it. It was suggested by Stereophile Magazine years ago when I used to read it. It was also suggested in reference to audio CDs and CD-ROMs have a lot more data on them.

With that said. I had read that applying Turtle Wax or a Silicon lightly to the CD will fill in the scratch enough that the laser should be able to read the data without skipping.

I don't know how this effects the inside of a CD drive and I take no responsibility for it. The other option is that I have seen these disks at Target for $10 on the discount rack. That might be the safer solution.
Old October 14, 2000, 00:20   #2
Krusty

Horribly Scratched CD
I decide to reinstall Civ2 *yay!*
The CDs are missing *boo!*
I find all 3 CDs (Civ 2, conflicts, FW and install them *yay!*
The FW one is horribly scratched *boo!*

Anyway, the point is... anyone know how to fix a really scratched CD?

Old October 16, 2000, 04:52   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 22:45
There are CD repair kits on the market for about a fiver - in essence a commercial form of the above - good luck

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
Old October 17, 2000, 14:11   #4
Krusty

Actually... What files are placed and/or changed around(apart from the new scenarios).
It may be possible for someone to e-mail them to someone if it's small enough, or possibly put on the web...

Old October 28, 2000, 23:36   #5
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 16:45
I ran into exactly the same problem a couple weeks ago! My eldest needed me to reinstall Age of Empires, but the CD was HORRIBLELY scratched! MacSoft Tech Support offered to sell me a new CD, but also suggested trying a polishing compound to repair the scratches.

So, off to a music store I went (CompUSA and other local computer don't carry the stuff, go figure), and bought "CD SCRATCH REMOVER" distributed by EZ bros, Inc. It works just like a fine rubbing compound and removed or at least diminished the scratches. The CD played fine immediately after polishing. The cost was about $8.00 US, but was an instant solution and didn't require postage and handling!

I'm sure that there are similar products by other companies, just look for them in music stores. Good luck!

------------------
"And now for something completely different..."
- John Cleese
Old October 30, 2000, 10:35   #6
Dr_Strangelove

There's a downloadable patch to upgrade the game somwhere. Not a chance for scenarios, though.

Old October 30, 2000, 12:44   #7
Krusty

I don't care about the scenarios, I just want the patch.