Old March 1, 2001, 16:28   #1
MarkG

POLL 17: End-Game Replay like Stars' Chronicle?
"nothing has been finalized" says the official site about the end-game replay

seeing again the chronicle feature of Stars! why not have a poll about it? http://crisium.com/sn/screens/screens_chronicle.htm

poll closed, results below

[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited May 02, 2001).]

Old March 1, 2001, 21:55   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:56
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Hmmm, that looks more like a players journal, which should definitely be part of the replay system. Are the buttons on the left active as well in HTML? Charts, maps, etc.? I had really meant to buy Stars! but never got around to it...damn.
Old March 2, 2001, 02:22   #3
MarkG

yes, it is also a journal, but as you can see it is also an automated log. if civ1 replay showed you the important discoveries, wars and the legendary animated map, this logs a LOT more....

Old March 4, 2001, 16:46   #4
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 03:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I dont care even if they wont change anything from CivII but I want THIS!

This is completely fits to my gamestyle, I play slowly, imagine all the stuff that goes in my empire and this is the best option I've ever seen.

If anyone from Firaxis reads this, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, add this option or something similar.
Old March 4, 2001, 17:17   #5
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Nikolai on 03-04-2001 12:10 PM
But Mark, could you possibly post some more screen shots in this topic? That would be good!!
i dont think there are more screenshots of it at the moment

Old March 4, 2001, 21:47   #6
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 18:56
I think the end game should entail a civilization bountry/land aquisitions like civ I had. It was fun to watch your color take over a continent, or be pushed back on another, and then watch as it retook the world. As my color would paint the map, I felt a sense of pride, and accomplishment, like the game was truely ended
Old March 4, 2001, 22:22   #7
phoenixcager

I miss the old civ1 replay. But if this version includes it, that's fine.

------------------
phoenixcager of the Civgaming Network.
Visit the CGN forums.

Old March 5, 2001, 01:10   #8
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:56
It looks interesting! But it is not crucial. But Mark, could you possibly post some more screen shots in this topic? That would be good!!

edit: Gee, I'm a Warlord!!!!
------------------
Who am I? What am I? Do we need Civ? Well....
[This message has been edited by Nikolai (edited March 04, 2001).]
Old March 5, 2001, 18:31   #9
airdrik
Prince

At a minimum, you NEED an animated map which shows the boundries of the various civs over time. You can add whatever else you feel might be nice, but at a sheer minimum, the animated map.
Old March 5, 2001, 19:33   #10
Farmer
Settler

Local Time: 00:56
According to this preview at IGN.COM: "We've also heard that the replay feature, which shows a time lapse progression of all empires across the map, will be included." Thank god.
Old March 8, 2001, 14:22   #11
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 20:56
quote:

Originally posted by Nemo on 03-04-2001 08:47 PM
I think the end game should entail a civilization bountry/land aquisitions like civ I had. It was fun to watch your color take over a continent, or be pushed back on another, and then watch as it retook the world. As my color would paint the map, I felt a sense of pride, and accomplishment, like the game was truely ended

Exactly how I felt, too. Every great game is made greater by an excellent ending. It's a matter of closure!

------------------
My reach exceeds my grasp!
Old March 20, 2001, 07:27   #12
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:56
I think that this great feature will play a great part in making Civ III more epic (see also the thread How to make Civ III more epic.

I was one of the early supporter of the History book in Html, so I'm very happy to see this concept is gaining momentum in Apolyton community. Hope Firaxis is reading. Ehi Firaxis, if you are in a hurry put at least some "hook" into the game code, then develop the whole thing as a later add-on.

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old April 7, 2001, 22:53   #13
Comrade Tribune
Prince

For me, personally, the "extro" [replay/journal/narrative/whatever] is three times as important as the intro. It should really reflect three things:

1) Major events and turning points
2) Your achievements (or failures)
3) Your playing style -I think this is a new idea. Couldnīt the replay reflect HOW You played the game [treacherous/honourable, peaceful/militant, expansionist/introverted, trader/builder/diplomat/warrior/explorer/scientist,...] ?

I think the AI could be able to somewhat profile You from the way You play the game -as if the game was a psychological test, so to speak, and the replay would show the way the AI is viewing You.
Old April 11, 2001, 08:46   #14
Adm.Naismith
King

quote:

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune on 04-07-2001 10:53 PM
3) Your playing style -I think this is a new idea. Couldnīt the replay reflect HOW You played the game [treacherous/honourable, peaceful/militant, expansionist/introverted, trader/builder/diplomat/warrior/explorer/scientist,...] ?

I think the AI could be able to somewhat profile You from the way You play the game -as if the game was a psychological test, so to speak, and the replay would show the way the AI is viewing You.

That sound interesting, would you write some example, please?
You suggested a dozen of playing style, but I haven't got how do you think to show these:
graphic background, replay music, specialized statistics... ?

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old April 13, 2001, 09:43   #15
Comrade Tribune
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith on 04-11-2001 08:46 AM
That sound interesting, would you write some example, please?
You suggested a dozen of playing style, but I haven't got how do you think to show these:
graphic background, replay music, specialized statistics... ?

Good question, Admiral.
I would leave it up to Firaxis, how they do it, but there are a number of possibilities I could think of: For example, I liked the original Civ advisors, who reflected Your form of government. Something similar could be done with replay style. Or there was a roleplaying game, in the Might&Magic series, where You started with a 'Neutral' interface, but, midway through the game, depended on a certain decision, Your interface look changed to 'Good' or 'Evil'. Something similar could conceivably be done with Civilization, making Your interface more 'peaceful' or 'warlike', 'spartan' or 'wealthy', depending on how You are playing the game. Or a picture at gameīs end could show the player as a warrior/wealthy merchant/scientist or whatever would be most appropriate. Or simply a verbal sum-up, such as: "Your Rank: Expert Assassin" (or "Journeyman Trader" or "Army Sergeant"). Or the description could be longer, including some psychological mumbo-jumbo, like: 'You are a responsible and trusted commander, who makes sure not to risk a catastrophic defeat, however, You take a long time to decide on a course of action, and it is sometimes difficult for You to realize what Your strategic goals are.' (For a General McClellan type)
And so on.
Old May 1, 2001, 08:21   #16
Il principe
Settler

Comrade Tribune I love the idea of the game looking critical at your actions and summarising your style with a couple of lines. It reminds me of some old Amiga games I used to play. Wasn't there something like that in Pirates?
Old May 1, 2001, 14:59   #17
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Replay is cool!!!!!!!! There should be an option to see it if you want, but not if it takes away from the rest of the game making process for Firaxis.
Old May 1, 2001, 20:29   #18
ancient
Prince

Local Time: 19:56
i alsothink the end of the game is very important... i like history and like imagining all the little things that my citizens could be thinking and going through. like if i nuke a city id like to think my people would be ashamed of me it gives the game more character,
what i think it should include is

1) a map of the world showing boundries
2) a list of your wars with stats (like: 1220-1510 war with england, 35 (your civ) units destroyed, 42 english units destroyed. citys conquered: Manchester, Plymouth. Citys Lost: none. Victorious.) something to that effect would be nice...
3) how honorable or treacherous you were.
4) Civs Destroyed and when (also should be listed in wars)
5) tons of graphs every graph from technology advances to percent of military controll. also include like citizen aproval ratings through time and major events that changed theyre oppinions of you.
6) Technology advances listed one by one and how whel you took advantage of them.
7) a list of your expansion and a time line. should enclude when citys where started, graphs of population and other things per city..

i could go on and on but i wont.. ill just let firaxis take care of this,,

------------------
(((|)))
My Empire usually is the best, yet ive only one once..
Old May 2, 2001, 04:43   #19
MarkG

Civ3: End-Game Replay like Stars' Chronicle?
OptionVotes / Percentage
Yeeeeees! 67 / 47%
Good but not critical 54 / 38%
Dont care 9 / 6%
Nah, dont like it 5 / 3%
Dont know 7 / 4%
Total Votes: 142
View Comments | Forums Discussion

Old May 2, 2001, 07:11   #20
ChrisShaffer
Prince

I see on the Apolyton home page this is listed as "Enhanced Replay is a Must!" Again, I think it's an example of a skewed poll. I voted for "Good but not critical" and I'm sure a lot of other people did so for the same reasons I did. What I meant by that was "enhanced replay would be a good thing, but if the replay wasn't enhanced, or was even deleted, it wouldn't bother me at all."

More people voted for "good but not critical" + "don't care" + "nah, don't like it" than voted "Yeeeeees!" I don't think 47% in favor == "a must."
[This message has been edited by ChrisShaffer (edited May 02, 2001).]
Old May 2, 2001, 07:17   #21
MarkG

i think anyone can see the numbers and the comments and make up his mind on his own no matter what title i put on the news item.....
[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited May 02, 2001).]