View Poll Results: Do you think that the storywriters on these forums deserve more recognition?
Definitely 20 90.91%
Not at all 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16, 2002, 23:19   #61
Rotten999
Warlord

Local Time: 18:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Massilia well be the arbiter nation, unless someone really wanted to be them.

To fit them to that role, this city state is considered the world's spiritual compass and is universally respected, not unlike Vatican City. Even barbarians will not attack them, out of respect for their spiritual authority (Pope Leo/Attila the Hun). I don't want to step on anyone's toes or offend anyone, so we'll describe their faith as being the worship of the cosmic principle of "good" and each individual can decide what that entails exactly.

Massilia is ruled by a council of 12 High Priests. Senior Priests occassionally act as temporary advisors to other nations. This is considered an honor. Massillia never aligns itself with other nations, however. Their kingdom is "not of this world." Crimes against the priests of Massilia are considered unforgivable sins, and we live in an age where that sort of thing still controls even the most ruthless people.

Game stats

No Army or Navy, nor is there any need for one.

Right of Passage agreements with all nations. Sanctuary is occasionally granted to people fleeing punishment, assuming the punishment is viewed as unjust.

Middle Ancient. Does not research, although the priests are well educated. Techs are given out of respect for the priests from other nations.

Government: Theocratic Oligarchy. Zero corruption, no science, limited trade.

Neutral in all dealings, occasionally gives advice or censure.
Old May 16, 2002, 23:35   #62
Rotten999
Warlord

On the moderator role (I'm taking suggestions, these are rough thoughts). Battles will be determined by random number draw. Size of army and "modernness" makes a huge difference. Defensive advantage makes a moderate difference. Tactics make a small difference, as opinion could play too large a role in this. The way I see it, nothing "crazy" should happen too often (small/backward army loses to large modern army near to 100%). On the other hand, it is Civ 3, so I suppose wild results aren't contrary to that spirit. Xerxes vs. Greeks, right? Let me know when you're attacking, with what and who, I'll tell you the results, you embelish them in your write-ups.

Building up/modernizing an army takes a significant chunk of time (no modern draft in ancient Rome/Gaul/Greece!). A week to go up one size gradation seems about right, and only if you're at peace throughout. Building an army weakens one's economy and may lead to issue like famine, etc. It's assumed the current army sizes are near the limit of what you can support with your current national size/infrastructure.

Reality police are on the beat, as always. Everyone can help with that.

Thoughts on this are encouraged, I want this to be agreeable to everyone. Main rule: having fun!

Last edited by Rotten999; May 16, 2002 at 23:42.
Old May 17, 2002, 01:01   #63
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Ooooo... Can I be Rome
Old May 17, 2002, 01:16   #64
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

BTW, Gauls are NOT the Persians on the map.

The Gauls are located in Northern France.

Don't quote me on that though. Because I got my info from that Asterisk Comic book I think
Old May 17, 2002, 01:19   #65
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Wait, cancel my last remark.
Old May 17, 2002, 02:50   #66
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Here is a quick map I editted for you guys.

I changed some colours around, and colour coded everything. Hopefully, the map is correct enough to use.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	euro3.gif
Views:	58
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	15556  
Old May 17, 2002, 08:09   #67
cbraund
Prince

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'll post the new combat system I'm going to be using for the UKNES since people cried about the losses, to help give you ideas about how to go about combat, Rotten.

Basically, use Civ3 attacking and defending attributes, edited as you see fit(mine will be very edited, to make the game more balanced), and take the defending number away from the attacking one. The number left is the modifier to the dice roll, be it positive or negative.

Then, use two dice for the attacker and two for the defender, and roll them both. Add the modifier to the attacker's score, or take it away if it is negative. The highest number wins. This is per division, so if the attacker dies, and there are more attackers left, then a new division takes the place of the fallen one and combat begins again until one side has no divisions left, or a stalemate has ensued due to heavy losses on both sides.

Most bonuses should be covered by this, as in my game the biggest bonus is a modern armour v an archer, which is a +7 modifier if I remember correctly.

See what you think of the idea, it's just a suggestion to help you think of a system.

Nemesis
Old May 17, 2002, 08:11   #68
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 20:08
Hmmmm.
Don't you guys think you should start another thread for this game ?
Old May 17, 2002, 11:23   #69
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

um, Sovy, I think I'll stick with mine, sorry. More details will come this afternoon. Combat should be based on quality of units mostly: early ancient has only archers, spearmen, warrirors, and chariots. Middle has all except catapults. Late has catapults "mixed in" with all troops so all are a little bit stronger. Rome has legions, macedon hoplites, and I'm planning including an elephant unit. As I said, full game will be set up this afternoon. Sovy yes you can be ROme. Rotten, massilia historically (i think) was attacked by gauls so you should have at least a small defensive army. Science rate is based on size, govt, and in cases like for example syracuse, historical stuff (they have archimedes!). German Confeds and most citystates have slow research, major monarchies are medium, and rome is fast because it's a republic. however, in exchange, I want the reality police to make sure that it's harrder for them to wage war (eventually they might be forced to go monarchy).

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 17, 2002, 11:54   #70
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

oh yes, and resources. No resources other than elephants will be important. Elephants will be untradable and there will be sources in east Seleucia, south egypt, and right near carthage. The elephant unit wll be 2/2/2 but with the diadvantage that each unit has a 40% cahnce of dying for every turn spent in mountains. If they had to be a civ3 unit, they would probably be countee as "wheeled", but for the NES we can be more specific

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old May 17, 2002, 12:21   #71
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Once again.

This is the thread for the Storywriter's union. You should create another thread for your game.
Old May 17, 2002, 12:34   #72
civman2000
Emperor

i will i will when i actually start it

Old May 18, 2002, 13:56   #73
Absolut_Zero
Settler

I'm fairly new to writing things that other people would actually read, but I'd certainly like in on your union
Old May 18, 2002, 13:58   #74
Absolut_Zero
Settler

sorry, wrong button
Old May 18, 2002, 17:39   #75
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 19:08
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
Ok, I'm adding you to the member roll
Old May 18, 2002, 17:48   #76
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

FIRST POST UPDATED
Old May 19, 2002, 13:08   #77
The Bloody Baro
Prince

Can I join? My story, world of fire isn't finished so if you don't want me in I'll understand [ but my Tommy gun won't ]
Old May 19, 2002, 13:11   #78
Metaliturtle
staff
King

Yeah, I'll update the list later
Old May 19, 2002, 13:23   #79
The Bloody Baro
Prince

THANK YOU!!! Now my Tommy gun can finally get some rest. NOT!!
Old May 20, 2002, 07:22   #80
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

a minor thing my name is all caps (i don't know why) but I like it that way, when you fix the roll list can you make it all capital letters?
Old January 10, 2004, 23:39   #81
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 09:08
Hi Metaliturtle,

Just curious if this union was still operational?

your original posts (prior to the game) were an interesting idea.
Old January 11, 2004, 12:01   #82
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

I think we should make a new thread for it, the Storytellers Union was a great establishment thaat did much to... unionize... storytellers.
Old January 11, 2004, 17:20   #83
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Sounds like a great idea to me
Old January 11, 2004, 17:49   #84
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 01:08
One thing we need is one of those civ group icons, Vovan tried to get one sorted a while back but ran into a wall for some reason. Not sure what the problem was, but maybe if he sees this he can tell us

Vovan are you there
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 11, 2004, 17:57   #85
Paddy
Prince

Yeah, i saw that in one of the topped threads: Top: Story Contest Rules {NEW}

I asked: Wondering how this went for having a CivGroup for those that write the stories...?

No reply yet, Ok that was only 6 days ago...
Old January 11, 2004, 18:01   #86
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Well if Vova doesnt see this by tomrrow night Ill PM him and ask him for a heads up.

He spends a lot of time in other games and OT so hes usually busy
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 11, 2004, 18:31   #87
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Now, now Chris. I may be active in the other games, but I haven't yet fallen so low as to be sucked in by the OT. If you look at my posts, I haven't visited the OT in months.

Yeah, the civgroup... Well, I got the icon down and all that, but when I PMed MarkG about the story-writers' civgroup, I never got any response. Nor did I get any after a couple more PMs... I recall DC saying something about him getting this high on DanQ's list of priorities, but that didn't seem to go through either... So I don't know about this.

I seem to recall some talks after the incident with good ol' Melly that the reason we don't get our own civgroup, while the NESers have one is that a civgroup is supposed to have a "home forum". Now, NESes are restricted to one forum only, so that's not a problem there. Stories are a whole different beast: there's AC stories, MoO stories, and, of course, our beloved Civ Stories. So, even though we are by far the most active Stories forum on 'Poly, I recall someone saying that if this forum was made the "Storywriters' Union" home, then it would be unfair towards the other writers. (Which was, no doubt, inspired in great part by the Melly debacle. I remind you that she now resides in the AC stories.)

Now, back when this was brought up, the condition for making the civgroup was that all the stories are condensed to one forum, which will be put into the "Stories and Diplomacy" forums. So far this has been a surefire kiss of death to all the other forums, so I then chose not to press the matter further.

Now, I was actually considering for the past couple of days that while we have plenty of people here now, maybe someone could post a thread in the AC/Community forum asking for a storywriters' civgroup. Then, all of us here could go and make a post in support of this idea. If we get a fair following, then we may be granted our own civgroup.
Spore page
Old January 11, 2004, 18:47   #88
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Thanks Vova

Thats a good idea, but I would hate to be shoved down in the same place as the nesers, or with Melly for that matter

What do others think ?

EDIT one question, couldnt it just be the civ3 stories civ group ?

mind you did say that the other writing groups may feel hard done to.
Old January 11, 2004, 19:00   #89
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Well, I wouldn't mind, because even if we look at say, the front page of the AC-fiction forum, we see that there is only one thread on the front page, and it has nothing at all to do with fiction. That, and I noticed that the MoO Stories forum has been removed altogether...

So, I'd say it would be only fair that when a Storywriters' group is created, this forum is made it's home... But since I don't make the decisions...
Spore page
Old January 11, 2004, 19:31   #90
Paddy
Prince

Ahhh Vovan, I appreciate what you say about not making decisions, but I also appreciate that you have been active for sometime, and know your way around etc.

There is a lot of interest in stories, and I know a few people that come to Apolyton to read the stories, as I did, while unabl to play at work.

I would encourage you in your endeavors. I believe that some form of identification, some form of membership can only help people who like to write.

We are an active part of the community, and although there are other story sections we are the Civ III Story Writers...

Would it help if we were to hold a poll over 2 weeks (plenty of time for all time for all to see and deal with it,) allowing the people that write , and read the stories to vote on a Civ III Story Group? Then we could present the results to DC, Mark and Dan.