Old May 5, 2002, 11:53   #1
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 20:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
More AI tricks
Here's the latest:

On capture of an AI capitol that has built the Intelligence Agency, not only the Palace is moved for free, but so is the IA!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 5, 2002, 12:03   #2
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Seriously? I can understand it from one perspective; the IA is a symbol of the civ's new espionage capabilities and is thus not essential to these missions.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 5, 2002, 12:04   #3
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:10
This happens for the player, too. When your capital is captured, you will automatically be relocated. I believe the same is true for the IA, though haven't had the experience.
Old May 5, 2002, 12:11   #4
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

The AI moves the IA? sounds
Old May 5, 2002, 12:19   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Yeah, it definitely does. I'm beating the crap out of India, and I've taken their capital 3-4 times... each time, the IA moves with the capitol.

BTW, I am finally starting to really use the IA myself. I had forgotten how much in Civ2 I valued being able to compare my military to that of the AI civs. The espionage missions are too expensive and uncertain, though.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old May 5, 2002, 14:23   #6
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 19:10
I wouldn't even consider anything related to Espionage unless I had lowered by a third the cost of the advance, IA, and missions. Even then it's not so hot. Civ 2 spying was better and more fun. Remember sneaking several spies by sea to the back of an enemy civ and stealing his techs?

Also in Civ 2 there was a good REASON to attack their capital. In Civ 3 the capital just automatically moves (with palace) over and over. Now the IA also moves.
Old May 5, 2002, 14:33   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 19:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Yeah, it definitely does. I'm beating the crap out of India, and I've taken their capital 3-4 times... each time, the IA moves with the capitol.

BTW, I am finally starting to really use the IA myself. I had forgotten how much in Civ2 I valued being able to compare my military to that of the AI civs. The espionage missions are too expensive and uncertain, though.

Yeah they are. The best (and IMO only) reason for the spies is to gauge the size of the army, and occasionally see where the units are located (esp. when they are down to that last city, and you want to know if they have that damn settler-galley floating around someplace.

It seems like spies just went from one extreme to the other: Civ2-all powerful, buying cities left and right, stealing any and all techs. Civ3-not useful for much of anything. I want something in the middle.
Old May 5, 2002, 15:09   #8
Theseus
Emperor

Not to hijack my own thread, but I really miss both spies and caravans. I agree with Coracle's example, and caravans were also a reason t take to the seas.

Now the only reason for a navy is for war.

Old May 5, 2002, 15:22   #9
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:10
That is really useful thing, I find. The IA is a useful wonder, because you build it in your capitol and keep it for life.
Old May 6, 2002, 10:10   #10
Flanker
Warlord

Local Time: 01:10
I thought spies were a little hard to keep track of - sometimes you built a few and then you couldnīt remember what you were to do with them. They were excellent scouts though. And I really remember that creepy feeling when the AI spies came into your territory and just marched into one of your cities, and you couldnīt do a **** about it.
Caravans were nice, but very hard to manage. It took a lot of work to keep track of all cities that needed that and that, and when you at last sent out your transport full with caravans, that city it was heading to might sometimes have lost their trade need.
Old May 6, 2002, 11:01   #11
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 02:10
I'm more than happy that the caravans are gone, the spies...well, I didn't use them much before, and don't use them much now...

But something I really miss, was the thing that an attack on the enemies capital really could change the game, now the capital is...ehmmm...just another city...
Old May 6, 2002, 11:45   #12
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 01:10
I'm OVERLY HAPPY about the disparition of caravans and spies. Though, I admit that spying missions are a joke now, and I miss the ability to redirect production from one city to another.

Moving automatically the palace and the IA is dumb and destroy the "got his capital !" thing. Player should have the obligation to REBUILD both, not have them given.