Old April 30, 2001, 17:31   #1
Roman
King

Local Time: 00:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Corporations
Firaxis anounced it is considering including them as independent actors in the end game. I think this is an excellent idea (though I would of course prefer more civs per game ).

What are your thoughts on the issue?

Firaxis, how is this going to be implemented?
Old May 1, 2001, 03:45   #2
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 10:57
I think it adds more realism and complexity to the game. It's a welcomed inclusion!
Old May 1, 2001, 05:54   #3
aCa
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:57
Maybe this will be almost like adding new civ at the end game........ looking forward to see how they implant it.

------------------
aCa (a Civilization addict)
Old May 2, 2001, 13:25   #4
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 16:57
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Yeah, using corporations would add excitement for late-game perfectionists and other non-warmongers. It would provide a way to "expand" your empire not by conquering cities, but by moving corporate branches into foreign cities and draining their resources. And not in the cheesy Call to Power way, where guys in desks have to slog their way across swamps to get to the enemy. And it would provide a more realistic form of conflict between modern democratic nations.

And it sounds like the designers are still in the process of refining the game, so there's still time to add this feature. What happened to that old Youngsun thread, anyway?
Old May 2, 2001, 13:49   #5
jglidewell
Warlord

Local Time: 19:57
I'm guessing that these would represent multi nationals?

How would you win? By owning the most stock?
Old May 2, 2001, 14:34   #6
EnochF
Prince

Maybe by acquiring at least 51% of the resources of every city on the planet?

Actually, I'd rather not have corporations play directly into one of the victory strategies. There may be an economic victory path, having something to do with the Resource system, or maybe it will just be like in SMAC, where you effectively save up enough money to "bribe" every city on the planet. But corporations would just be a way to expand without necessarily going to war. And other civs could use the same strategy against you.
Old May 2, 2001, 14:37   #7
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

No, the corporations are independent, I think the economic victory is sort of allying with the MNCs to take control of the resources, or to take over all markets, or something. But I think you'd have little if any control over them
Old May 2, 2001, 15:38   #8
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 20:57
quote:

Originally posted by EnochF on 05-02-2001 01:25 PM
Yeah, using corporations would add excitement for late-game perfectionists and other non-warmongers. It would provide a way to "expand" your empire not by conquering cities, but by moving corporate branches into foreign cities and draining their resources.

corporate branches "drain resources"? not to start a political argument, but the questions of the impact of MNC's on host countries is a contoversial and complex one - one deserving of a game of its own. This sounds like an easy one to screw up. I'd much rather have additional civs, or minor civs, not corporations behaving in ways that are unrealistic.

LOTM
Old May 3, 2001, 00:45   #9
Roman
King

I wonder whether they will use Youngson's ideas on this issue?
Old May 3, 2001, 05:15   #10
Roman
King

quote:

Originally posted by lord of the mark on 05-02-2001 03:38 PM

corporate branches "drain resources"? not to start a political argument, but the questions of the impact of MNC's on host countries is a contoversial and complex one - one deserving of a game of its own. This sounds like an easy one to screw up. I'd much rather have additional civs, or minor civs, not corporations behaving in ways that are unrealistic.

LOTM

They didn't say what corporations will do. If they are using Youngson's ideas they will provide luxuries and hence be beneficial, but might become too powerful in the process...
Old May 3, 2001, 06:53   #11
Youngsun
Prince

Corporations in?

Finally, Firaxis has recognised the importance of the role of corporations throughout the history. I wouldn't dream of Firaxis using my ideas word by word but hope at least some of the concepts are used.

[This message has been edited by Youngsun (edited May 03, 2001).]
Old May 3, 2001, 19:09   #12
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:57
quote:

Originally posted by JamesJKirk on 05-02-2001 02:37 PM
No, the corporations are independent, I think the economic victory is sort of allying with the MNCs to take control of the resources, or to take over all markets, or something. But I think you'd have little if any control over them

Hmm, it seems to me that Firaxis is trying to add some deep into economic victory (it was a bit like an afterthought in SMAC, because there you only need a pile of cash to win, and as far as they are part of the equation I suppose you need something else... :confused .

So, IMHO corporations are the way Firaxis is testing the adding of an economic victory. That would be the only reason I see Firaxis haven't already decided about the presence of economic victory: adding it as in SMAC should be a breeze, no need to ponder about it!

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old May 4, 2001, 17:09   #13
tniem
King

Local Time: 19:57
Corporations in? Boy am I excited!!!!

quote:

I wonder whether they will use Youngson's ideas on this issue?

They definitely should!

quote:

They didn't say what corporations will do. If they are using Youngson's ideas they will provide luxuries and hence be beneficial, but might become too powerful in the process

If you mean countries that possess corporations will become to powerful, I disagree. Currently, the U.S. and Western thought dominates the world. The reason in my opinion is economic might created by major corporations in the U.S. and Europe. Civ III should replicate these corporations and it appears Firaxis is going to try.

If you mean corporations will become too powerful, I would not worry. First corporations will not be able to build armies, conduct foreign policy, etc so you will not have to compete with them. Second, corporations should have some impact on your countries policies. In the U.S. where politicians do anything for a campaign contribution our policies are altered by the richest and the most powerful. In Civ III I would love for me to have to go head to head to corporate powers of the breed of Bill Gates or Ted Turner.
Old May 4, 2001, 18:21   #14
Mokael
Chieftain

hmm, Interesting how would it work. It's hard to imagine Corporation to keep a strong military force. What would stop one country from taking over assets of a company?