Old May 14, 2002, 18:45   #61
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 01:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Cory

It has been my experience that women are _just_ as agressive as men are, though they ususaly channel it into other directions. So I wonder what the Civ3 men/women ratio is. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that it is at least 70/30...
I don't know what you're referring to, but in real life men definitely are more agressive than women (90 versus 10 ratio?):
just check out the crime figures. Must be a DNA/testosteron- thing.

Kind regards,

AJ
Old May 14, 2002, 18:52   #62
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR
I don't know what you're referring to, but in real life men definitely are more agressive than women
Bwammm!!!!
Old May 14, 2002, 19:07   #63
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Local Time: 16:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:

I don't know what you're referring to, but in real life men definitely are more agressive than women (90 versus 10 ratio?):

Kind regards,

AJ
"Crimminal agression" is not the same as "Agression". Watch women play bridge, or play politics, or go after grades. Trust me, women are _just_ as agressive, if not more so. It is just that men tend to be more violent...

Remember the World Trade Center
Old May 14, 2002, 19:17   #64
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 00:16
Andrew Cory's right - women can be vicious.

You know what they say -"the female of the species is more deadly than the male"
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 14, 2002, 19:19   #65
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 19:16
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
And don't anyone think that the fact that I also like my land looking cultivated rather than raped means I am less of a guy gamer.
Don't worry, I do the same thing. I think it makes us smarter gamers, rather than less manly. ie, mines where mines belong, farms where farms belong. Unless there's a hill, mountain, outcrop, or a lack of a river, I farm it. If that means my cities are more population oriented over science or production, then so be it. They usually average out, anyway. I also do the same in AOE2. I space out houses into groups of 3, and just make it generally appealing to the eye as well as being efficient.
Old May 14, 2002, 19:19   #66
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Cory

"Crimminal agression" is not the same as "Agression". Watch women play bridge, or play politics, or go after grades. Trust me, women are _just_ as agressive, if not more so. It is just that men tend to be more violent...
That's true, but aren't there also more men playing bridge and playing politics? Women are 'agressive' (and superior in comparison to men) for grades, but more men will make it to the (economical) top.

Face it: men are the weak, not women. (in terms of discipline and decent behaviour)
Mind you though women: I'd much rather prefer a male dictatorship than a female dictatorship. If a female has gone down the ethical way already that far, I would consider her to be more 'devilish' and dangerous than a man.

I'd know how to deal with a 'devilish' man, but I wouldn't know how to deal with a 'devilish' woman. I think that a woman like that can even outwit the most terrifying male tyrant.

AJ
Old May 14, 2002, 19:27   #67
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Quote:

That's true, but aren't there also more men playing bridge and playing politics? Women are 'agressive' (and superior in comparison to men) for grades, but more men will make it to the (economical) top.

Face it: men are the weak, not women. (in terms of discipline and decent behaviour)
Mind you though women: I'd much rather prefer a male dictatorship than a female dictatorship. If a female has gone down the ethical way already that far, I would consider her to be more 'devilish' and dangerous than a man.

I'd know how to deal with a 'devilish' man, but I wouldn't know how to deal with a 'devilish' woman. I think that a woman like that can even outwit the most terrifying male tyrant.

AJ
I've never seen the evidence that women are smarter or more decent then men. I have seen the evidence that they tend to socialize more often. That is, they tend to get along better. But be smarter? Bah! More decent? Ever been betrayed by a woman?

Old May 14, 2002, 19:29   #68
zulu9812
King

Women are better at multi-tasking. Fact.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 14, 2002, 19:48   #69
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812
Women are better at multi-tasking. Fact.
Yes, that is a fact: it's caused by a slightly different brain functioning.

And fact number two is that women more and more outsmart men at universities (more disciplined than the average male).

Fact number three: women live+/- 8 years longer than men.

AJ
Old May 14, 2002, 20:13   #70
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Quote:

Yes, that is a fact: it's caused by a slightly different brain functioning.

And fact number two is that women more and more outsmart men at universities (more disciplined than the average male).

Fact number three: women live+/- 8 years longer than men.

AJ
Fact 4: Hummingbirds beat their wings _really_ fast!
As far as 1-3 go:
1: years ago, studies came out that proved men were better at spatial reasoning, that's why boys liked to play video games more than girls did. It turns out that boys play video games more than girls did, and thus got better at spatial reasoning. When subjected to the same growth-challanges, girls brains responded in the same ways...

2: Immigrants tend to do better at uni. as well. They work harder...

3: Women in "traditionaly female fields" (ie: homemaking) tend to live about 7 years longer (BTW: +/- 8 years means that they live anywhere from 8 years longer to 8 years less. You wanted to say "8 years longer, give or take"). Women who work not at home tend to live shorter lives. Keep this in mind as well: Men who have more friends and more non-work related activities also tend to live longer...

Women and men have the same average intelegence, the same average abilities, and men tend to be a bit stronger (though this doesn't mean as much as we think it does)...

the difference is that Women have curves, men have shoulders, we tend to think a bit differently. It is this difference in thinking that makes for a whole world of non-civ-related fun...

Old May 14, 2002, 21:37   #71
Switch
Prince

Men are stronger (fact). Women mature sooner (mentally and physically)(fact).

Thus, all men and women were created equal under God. It is how we use our strengths/weaknesses that effects who is the better. It varies from person to person, not gender to gender.
Old May 15, 2002, 09:27   #72
Moonsinger
Warlord

Local Time: 18:16
Quote:

May be that's why women don't get many vote when we try to run for office. The male don't like to vote for women because that may make them feel inferior and the women don't like vote for women because they feel threaten.
Old May 15, 2002, 10:00   #73
Bella Hella
Prince

man oh man. i don't want to get into some crap about who's smarter and in what ways. intellectually, we're equals. men are not inferior to women, women are not inferior to men. we're also very different in a lot of ways.

traditionally, the world has been male dominated because physically, men are stronger and could force women to do whatever they wanted (dude, you know that's true, so don't even argue). women were also hampered/blessed with the ability to have children, which made/makes us a lot less mobile. i don't know who invented the notion that men are superior because of their physicaly strength and mobility, but there you have it. since there's not so much a need for men to go out and hunt buffalo for food and protect the womenfolk, we're free to live our lives that way we want to. this means that women became interested in doing many of the same things that, before, were limited to men. since things have been male dominated for so long, of course it's taking a while for things to even out. i think we're at a good place now, and it's (hopefully) only going to get better. technology is the thing that's made this possible. we don't need to work as hard at, say, churning the butter and growing food, so we're free to engage in other pursuits. if and when our technology fails, through war or whatever, we'll be back to square one, and men will be "dominant" once more. (something for the sexist pigs to look forward to. )

how the hell did this conversation arise out of "do girls ever play civ??"

anyway, interesting stuff here, and i apologize for my long posts. i have a lot to say!
Old May 15, 2002, 10:01   #74
Cvetin
Chieftain

Can we expect to have a female civilization like Amazonians or Feminists in Civ4? Civ specific reatures cute and ruthless (bonuses in diplomacy and fashion design).
Special unit - Barbie (non combat unit which decreases unhappines in each city it's deployed)
Old May 15, 2002, 11:33   #75
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 17:16
Quote:

Kind regards,

AJ
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Yes men in general are more prone to be agressive than women, but if you have an aggresive male and an aggresive female, there's not really any difference. And I suspect a lot of that tendency of men to become aggresive is because of social conditioning. It's more acceptable for men to be that way than women. In a culture where a distinction on this type of behaviour isn't made according to sex, I think you might find your ratio being more like 60/40.
Old May 15, 2002, 11:50   #76
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

Playing bridge, I doubt that very much. I suspect the majority by far would be women playing the game. As for politics or economics, that has a lot to do with our cultural standards and conditioning. Up until the 60-70's, it was almost unthinkable for a woman to pursue a career in politics or economics, not because of lack of ability, it just wasn't what "nice" girls did with their lives. And those preconceptions aren't going to disappear over night.

As for women not making it to the economical top, part of that is because the men are still placing barriers in women's way, and favouring their own. Corporations still function to a large degree under the "old boy's network", and women to a large extant haven't been able to break into it. Business types are conservative by nature, and one of the tenets of conservatism is that the women should stay home and look after the kids.
Old May 15, 2002, 17:03   #77
Raion
Prince

But, I doubt if females will take 'No' for an answer anymore.

If men agressive, women will be agressive - will the men taught them that, so...............

Find neutral ground!
Old May 15, 2002, 17:12   #78
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Raion
But, I doubt if females will take 'No' for an answer anymore.

If men agressive, women will be agressive - will the men taught them that, so...............

Find neutral ground!
Neutral ground? Hell no! Common ground, yes. But half the fun with women is arguing. The other half the fun invloves the bedroom-- where my comptuer is located. Like I said, I am trying to get my GF intrested in Civ. Soon, I tell you, soon...
*grin*

Old May 16, 2002, 12:22   #79
bigvic
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

What does that have to do with being female? I'm a guy yet I do the same thing, I just like having my game world look good. I even removed mines from all grassland etc. because I thought it was ugly having these square blocks all over the map. Plus I've been grabbing Sn00py's graphics etc. and fiddling with the colours, too much of a yellow tint for my liking. Now if only could do something about those railroads! Aesthetics is a cross-gender thing.

Effete WUSS PUSS!!!!

BTW, ladies, I'm in love with you all and formally extend a proposal to marriage. In fact you can all marry me, especially if at least 75% are willing to work and when at home play civIII w/ me when mp comes out.

i like ibble blibble
Old May 16, 2002, 12:59   #80
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
Let me first start off by saying this regarding this topic. I think women who play TBS games are the sexiest!
My sister is an avid civ addict. Alas, she's also married. But I'll be sure to tell her you think she's hot.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old May 17, 2002, 01:29   #81
bigvic
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by bigvic

Effete WUSS PUSS!!!!

BTW, ladies, I'm in love with you all and formally extend a proposal to marriage. In fact you can all marry me, especially if at least 75% are willing to work and when at home play civIII w/ me when mp comes out.
Sorry gamer-girl hunting civ freaks, but it looks like I scared off the women Bad me

But really, I would suppose the typical civ III playing female is probably not the typical female since far more males play as a % of the gender that females. For this reason, I would not expect as much of a difference in style of play as I would in 20 randomly picked test subjects of each gender. My presuppositions of female play are in the area of conservative build type strategy, less offensive. But then, the female who plays civIII, a rare gem indeed, might just as likely, logically speaking, completely buck that trend and be a viscious, sadistic, cruel, calculating or rampaging, conquering and razing warmongering demoness. Should be cool when mp comes on line.

i like ibble blibble
Old May 17, 2002, 07:20   #82
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Hella

wow, that seems like a really high percentage to me. was it strictly computer games, or were they including all kinds of games (monopoly, card games, etc.)? i wonder if they've done a recent study? it would be interesting to see the percentage of computer/video game players who are female.

i noticed a few female diablo 2 players, but they were still WAY in the minority, like 6% or so according to an unofficial poll.

anyway, thanks for the info. that's definitely food for thought...
hi ,

Bella , unfortunatly one of the raesons girls and woman dont play so much comp games is that a lot of men believe that a woman is to stupid to sit behind a comp , ........in Europe woman are still put a bit down , a lot of men still think that a woman should do the household and stay with the fire plate , ............

maybe if the woman would start a group and spread the word things would be different , ......

anyway , a woman is still a strong person , .......ever seen a man at childbirth , ........;a man would not last five sec's , .....

allas , there are girls who read this thread , why dont you say something , come-on , whe are on apolyton , and civ is more then playing , .........

allas , woman , girls , men , boys , black , white , yellow , red , green , ........have a nice day
Old May 17, 2002, 12:40   #83
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Quote:
But then, the female who plays civIII, a rare gem indeed, might just as likely, logically speaking, completely buck that trend and be a viscious, sadistic, cruel, calculating or rampaging, conquering and razing warmongering demoness. Should be cool when mp comes on line.
I know that's always been mys strategy. Doesn't always work, but when it does, I feel very fufilled.
Old May 17, 2002, 12:51   #84
bigvic
Prince

Cool, I didn't scare off all the chics!!!

i like ibble blibble
Old May 17, 2002, 12:57   #85
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Quote:
Cool, I didn't scare off all the chics!!!
No way. I don't know about anyone else, but I deal with people who seem to be 10x worse than you on other forums.
Old May 17, 2002, 13:28   #86
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

Effete WUSS PUSS!!!!
No, I'm an artist, it's part of the job.
Old May 17, 2002, 13:30   #87
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
But then, the female who plays civIII, a rare gem indeed, might just as likely, logically speaking, completely buck that trend and be a viscious, sadistic, cruel, calculating or rampaging, conquering and razing warmongering demoness. Should be cool when mp comes on line.
But then, how will you tell the difference?
Old May 17, 2002, 14:32   #88
bigvic
Prince

Quote:
a viscious, sadistic, cruel, calculating or rampaging, conquering and razing warmongering demoness.
Sniff...blubber...rereading my post, I was reminded of my ex. Too bad she didn't play civ.

Playa del Carmen - I bet you do run into worse than me on the internet. Like some of my friends You seem like you can take care of yourself chica.

King of Canada - good question.

i like ibble blibble
Old May 17, 2002, 14:43   #89
ACooper
Prince

Acutally my wife plays CivIII much more than I do and she really gets into it. She yells, hollers and flips off the screen. And that's when she's winning.

I tried to introduce her to this board but she said 'Why would I talk to those idiots.' I wisely let it go
Old May 17, 2002, 16:23   #90
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper

I tried to introduce her to this board but she said 'Why would I talk to those idiots.' I wisely let it go
Sometimes I can see her point.