Old May 17, 2002, 19:40   #91
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper
Acutally my wife plays CivIII much more than I do and she really gets into it. She yells, hollers and flips off the screen. And that's when she's winning.

I tried to introduce her to this board but she said 'Why would I talk to those idiots.' I wisely let it go
hi ,

maybe that is what we as men should learn , we waist our time here , ......and forget what it's all about , playing the game , .....

so , we can still learn from the female side of the human race , ......

have a nice day
Old May 17, 2002, 20:23   #92
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 18:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Everyone:

**shrug** In Civ II, I've modded the Greeks into the Amazon Nation and have relocated their capital — now Themiscyra — to the shores of the Black Sea. I added in some Amazon-specific city names while leaving the Greek ones in as well.

So I have my very own Amazon Nation, so to speak. When I get Civ III, I will do the same thing to one of the civs in that game.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old May 18, 2002, 03:53   #93
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 20:16
Girls play civ; just not girls you'd want to date.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old May 18, 2002, 11:02   #94
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 01:16
Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

Bella , unfortunatly one of the raesons girls and woman dont play so much comp games is that a lot of men believe that a woman is to stupid to sit behind a comp , ........in Europe woman are still put a bit down , a lot of men still think that a woman should do the household and stay with the fire plate , ............
In Europe? Yes, anywhere by certain individuals I suppose. What part of Europe are you actually referring to? Not mine ...

You could have used 101 other countries that would have fit into your explanation more correctly.

Shame on you .

AJ

(just another European patriot )
Old May 18, 2002, 13:38   #95
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR

In Europe? Yes, anywhere by certain individuals I suppose. What part of Europe are you actually referring to? Not mine ...

You could have used 101 other countries that would have fit into your explanation more correctly.

Shame on you .

AJ

(just another European patriot )
hi ,

okay , well , the whole world then , .........

so , howmany girls do you know that play civ3 , ............

have a nice day
Old May 19, 2002, 00:49   #96
Evil_Eric_4
Warlord

Local Time: 19:16
So--Do you girls feel the need to nuke the whole world about once a month?

Just kidding
Old May 20, 2002, 09:32   #97
bigvic
Prince

Well, looks like we DID scare off the chics. Ladies?! Oh LADIES!!!???

i like ibble blibble
Old May 20, 2002, 11:00   #98
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by bigvic
hi ,

ones again the female race is smarter , we from the male race waist our time talking , they fill their time on a smart way , .....

playing civ ,.........

have a nice day
Old May 20, 2002, 11:30   #99
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Quote:
Hey, something you just KNOW when you're female is that when you don't have anything to say, you don't say anything at all.

...usually.
Old May 20, 2002, 11:37   #100
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Playa del Carmen

Hey, something you just KNOW when you're female is that when you don't have anything to say, you don't say anything at all.

...usually.
hi ,

ones again a proof of their "superior" brain , .........

have a nice day
Old May 20, 2002, 11:42   #101
Bella Hella
Prince

Quote:
yes?

re: screaming and hollering at the screen - isn't that the best part of the game? i love getting all pissed at the AI when they do something to majorly screw me over. or when winning. "there, how do like THAT, B*TCHES!!!!???!?" LMAO! i plan on saying a lot of stuff along those lines tonight when the zulus, who randomly declared war and have refused to acknowledge my envoy for the past 20 turns, are wiped off the face of the planet.

BTW, not that i STAY mad at a silly computer game. i mean, i'm not sulking about it for days or anything. but i like to get into it!
Old May 20, 2002, 11:47   #102
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Hella
i plan on saying a lot of stuff along those lines tonight when the zulus, who randomly declared war and have refused to acknowledge my envoy for the past 20 turns, are wiped off the face of the planet.
I love when that happens. They randomly declare war on you and then you utterly destroy them. That happened to me with the Russians on a world map. I almost quit the game because I knew there was no way I was going to win without any iron around, but then I said, "What the heck? I haven't got anything to lose." So I found some iron, made roads, archers, horsemen, swordsmen up the wazoo, and I almost decimated them, except for this one city on an island.

But when things go wrong, and a unit of mine that should've won loses, I get mad. But I have a bad temper anyhow.
Old May 20, 2002, 11:47   #103
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

yes?

re: screaming and hollering at the screen - isn't that the best part of the game? i love getting all pissed at the AI when they do something to majorly screw me over. or when winning. "there, how do like THAT, B*TCHES!!!!???!?" LMAO! i plan on saying a lot of stuff along those lines tonight when the zulus, who randomly declared war and have refused to acknowledge my envoy for the past 20 turns, are wiped off the face of the planet.

BTW, not that i STAY mad at a silly computer game. i mean, i'm not sulking about it for days or anything. but i like to get into it!
hi ,

Bella , is the game getting under your nails , .........?

so behold , woman scream , hmmmm , the ones who are on this site are beautiful , intelligent and have more power then a man , ........in other words , ones a gain a proof of their fine skill's , ..........

as for the Zulu , they are always like that , ........got any nuke's Bella , ........?

have a nice day
Old May 20, 2002, 16:02   #104
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 17:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Playa del Carmen

...usually.
The Taoists express it well. "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
Old May 20, 2002, 16:05   #105
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 17:16
Quote:

hi ,

ones again a proof of their "superior" brain , .........

have a nice day
Suck up!

Trolling for a date are you Panang?
Old May 20, 2002, 17:48   #106
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Suck up!

Trolling for a date are you Panang?
hi ,

well , ......; , ......lets just say that when looking at the yearbook , .....some type or rush occured , ........

now , ...Willem , how would you now , ....except , yeah that has to be , ....you did that yourself once , .........

allas , some people shall stay forever alone , .......but no need to worry , ....their is always civ3, ..........

allas , there are woman who play , around Europe , ....but most just like to watch the forums , .....

allas , have a nice day / night !!
Old May 20, 2002, 21:27   #107
bigvic
Prince

Quote:

hi ,

well , ......; , ......lets just say that when looking at the yearbook , .....some type or rush occured , ........

now , ...Willem , how would you now , ....except , yeah that has to be , ....you did that yourself once , .........

allas , some people shall stay forever alone , .......but no need to worry , ....their is always civ3, ..........

allas , there are woman who play , around Europe , ....but most just like to watch the forums , .....

allas , have a nice day / night !!
Hey Panag, you ok there, guy?
Anyway, take it sleazy!

i like ibble blibble
Old May 21, 2002, 09:22   #108
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Hey Panag, you ok there, guy?
Anyway, take it sleazy!
hi ,

does not compute , does not compute , .......

topic , found a woman , who plays civ3 , ......under a "male" alias here at the site , .........maybe there are more , ......

have a nice day
Old May 21, 2002, 09:42   #109
Bella Hella
Prince

Quote:
topic , found a woman , who plays civ3 , ......under a "male" alias here at the site , .........maybe there are more , ......
yup, i've ran into a couple girls who have male aliases. since females get harrassed online and when playing games, some find it easier that way. this is especially true of "shooter" games according to some stuff i've read. but everyone here has been nice and respectful so far (even the ones trolling for dates! )

Old May 21, 2002, 09:52   #110
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

yup, i've ran into a couple girls who have male aliases. since females get harrassed online and when playing games, some find it easier that way. this is especially true of "shooter" games according to some stuff i've read. but everyone here has been nice and respectful so far (even the ones trolling for dates! )

hi ,

intresting , someone else saw it , ........

date's , .............

allas , a player from New Zealand with a player from Norway , ..... , ..............

maybe there should be a thread on that , .........
who knows , ..........

there are some couples , .......formed after they met here , ......

yeah why not , .......

say , who is trolling , ........ , ......can only be their king , the king of trolls , ............

have a nice day
Old May 31, 2002, 01:19   #111
yamaraion
Settler

Local Time: 16:16
quote:

Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich

"Now anyone out there have any advice for getting ones significant other interested in playing civ? "

RESPONSE
"that's an interesting question, and one that's been debated a lot on various message boards that i've seen. how does a guy get his GF or DW into gaming? i don't think there's an easy answer. some chicks are just not interested at all, and never will be. don't ask me why. i don't understand some peoples' obsession with, like, soap operas as a form of entertainment, so it's only natural that some people will never understand what i consider fun"

There is a basic anatomical difference between men and women. The brain structure. It does not keep men and women from sharing interests, but it does tend to make one less likely to share some interests that the other has.

Women, for example develop the area of the brain that uses language at an earlier age and fill it more completely. Later, that area is also used for mathematics. Women, as a group, are better at solving problems using language/communication and men are generally better at math. This is on a spectrum of skill levels. All of one group are not better than all of the other at either skill area. Because there are a number of evolved differences between men and women that have made the species successful, depending on tasks we performed in primitive times, we think differently and have different interests. A woman may well like games but not simulations. One that likes games a man generally likes is a gem for a gamer to find. The sad truth is that you may have to learn to play different games with your lady than you do with your buds. You can play a relatively blood free CIV game. Try setting a rule of no combat between human players and win a diplomatic or cultural victory. You may set your hook and get her interested...but don't be too disappointed if she would rather play PROPAGANDA or a game involving verbal skills. Would you want to play a game based on caring for a baby or running a household (called DOLLS and HOUSE for you non-distaff game oriented macho men). Give your lady a break and try to understand her. Enjoy those women who share our interests all the more.

I got real excited when my visiting long-time female friend asked how much room ROGUE SPEAR would take on her HD. I thought I had a new online RSp gaming buddy. Then she said: "That way we can put it on my computer so you can play when you visit me." Disappointed? A little. But also felt very good. That, gentlemen, is why we don't want women to be just like men.

Viva la differance!

yamaraion
Old May 31, 2002, 07:23   #112
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Originally posted by yamaraion
There is a basic anatomical difference between men and women.
Of course, that sort of reasoning was used for centuries to deny women the right to make important decisions for themselves, and to keep them out of political power. When talking about a very diverse group of 3 billion people, it is hard to make broad and accurate generalizations. Perhaps most of the differences you cited are due to the traditional social structure we live in.

In any case, my girlfriend played Civ2, and held a grudge against Elizabeth for a very long time.
Old May 31, 2002, 08:09   #113
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

My ex-girlfriend and I played SMAC together. Hopefully she start talking to me again so we can play Civ3 together once it has multiplayer.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old May 31, 2002, 13:33   #114
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Zachriel

Of course, that sort of reasoning was used for centuries to deny women the right to make important decisions for themselves, and to keep them out of political power. When talking about a very diverse group of 3 billion people, it is hard to make broad and accurate generalizations. Perhaps most of the differences you cited are due to the traditional social structure we live in.

In any case, my girlfriend played Civ2, and held a grudge against Elizabeth for a very long time.
Being that I have to study falicies for english, I'll just toss in that "misuse of a theory does not invalidate that theory". I mean, men and women _are_ different. And very, very, few of us would have it any other way...

Remember the World Trade Center
Old May 31, 2002, 14:20   #115
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Guys

You will never get this much good inside advice ever again. She is probably breaking club rules to tell you all this. Trust me. I've got 40+ years of experience on this issue.
Old May 31, 2002, 15:26   #116
yamaraion
Settler

I am going on the assumption that ZACHRIEL was making an observation in general and not an attack on my statements per se. That sort of “reasoning” was used as he/she? said. Remember a logical argument with one false premise must have a false conclusion by the immutable laws of symbolic logic. I was careful to use terms such as “in general” and “spectrum” to make my statements broad AND accurate. My statements are based on empirical evidence, not the natterings of village gossips. I have been studying brain sex for some years now for a Master's thesis in clinical psychology, and before that as a hobby. None of this is material to prove MY thesis, because I don't have one yet. It is general backgrouind study of the subject to develop a thesis, and because the topic facinates me as a biologist, so I have no axe to grind here.

Brain scans that measure activity in various areas of the brain show that you can readily identify male and female brains by their general activity pattern and their response to input. It is like the heat given off by your computer "brain" parts during operation. You can SEE the difference. Early work showed that transgendered individuals had the brain scan of the sex they identified as, not their anatomical sex. Some people may not have liked this result and the promising research was mysteriously discontinued. By the way, the scans show that women maintain a much higher "resting" brain activity than men. You go girls! During increased brain activity both the levels and areas of brain activity are different between sexes. You can see a distinct pattern in schizophrenia. Different thinking tasks light up different brain areas in an individual to varying degrees based on activity in that area. This is not witchcraft or societal nonsense. It is hard science. Do a search on Google.

If you carefully read what I said, there is nothing there to deny women their equal rights to try to do what they want to with their lives. I, in fact, am a heterosexual, male R.N. (psychiatric) and I would have to be an idiot to deny people the right to follow paths outside the normal sex-related roles of society. ( I went into nursing because of my interest in sciences and for the salary, currently $60,000 a year without overtime. ) I also CLEARLY stated that there was a spectrum of talents in each group, one that is genetic and congenital and environmental in nature. Just because women are *better* than men, in general, at boring, repetative tasks does not mean they should work on assembly lines. The archetypical “dumb blonde” can’t speak without tripping over her tounge and some guys can’t count on their fingers. Women should be free to follow their interests, and that may not include CIV III for a number of them…and a number of males.

If you think I'm wrong, take toy guns from a large group of boys. They will use sticks, brooms, carrots to "make" guns and swords and play with them. A group of girls will "make" dolls and play with them. Not everyone, but a statistically significant number. There is a danger in being “politically correct”. The same danger in those who live only by the Koran or The Bible. I respect those peoples' rights until they interfere with the rights of others. The same danger that lies in the hands of those who would keep women “barefoot and pregnant”. It requires that you stop thinking and searching for the truth. Someone said: “The truth is out there.”

ANDREW's point that “misuse of a theory does not invalidate it.” is well taken, however. BTW it is “fallacies” when you write that paper Andrew. (My roommate is an English teacher, lol)

Finally, HOW DO I FIND A GIRLFRIEND WHO WILL PLAY ROGUE SPEAR WITH ME.....and enjoy it????? lol.
Old May 31, 2002, 15:50   #117
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by yamaraion
ANDREW's point that “misuse of a theory does not invalidate it.” is well taken, however. BTW it is “fallacies” when you write that paper Andrew. (My roommate is an English teacher, lol)

Finally, HOW DO I FIND A GIRLFRIEND WHO WILL PLAY ROGUE SPEAR WITH ME.....and enjoy it????? lol.
The research that you bring up is one that I have studied before, and find facinating. As one who is studying political science, I try to keep up with theories on human development. If you want people to behave better, you have to find the right carrot and stick-- and find out what the limits are...
I guess what I am saying is that I can give a bit of independant vouchsafeing on what you cite, of course this means that people will have to take _my_ reputation into account...

What your research doesn't answer is a rather basic point: Is it social conditioning or genetic programing? If it is social conditioning, that opens up one line of inquiry, if genetic, a different line of inquiry is opened...

As for my spelling *blush*. I can't. Fortunatly, I will have secrataries for this...

Remember the World Trade Center
Old May 31, 2002, 15:59   #118
Miznia
Warlord

Quote:
yamaraion said:
Remember a logical argument with one false premise must have a false conclusion by the immutable laws of symbolic logic.
Hmm... Is this really true? It seems undeniable that false premises can lead to true conclusions.
Old May 31, 2002, 16:14   #119
CrabLincolnite
Settler

My girlfriend plays Civ3, and as soon as MP is available I'm going to enjoy destroying her too.
Old May 31, 2002, 16:46   #120
Miznia
Warlord

Good idea... I have always had a conscious desire to destroy my varied love interests, so that they don't turn on me, or abandon me.

Quote:
My girlfriend plays Civ3, and as soon as MP is available I'm going to enjoy destroying her too.