Old May 8, 2002, 10:32   #1
dbconfessional
Settler

Local Time: 19:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Important Questions. Please answer!
Multiple Questions

1. I am playing a game right now that has about 12 civs. On the foreign advisor screen, there are only 7 civs plus my civ. How do I make communication with the other civs if they aren't on the screen? There isn't a "more" button or anything, and the civ I want to talk to is too far away to right click one of their units to make contact.

2. When citizens are unhappy, you can click them to see what they are unhappy about. The most obvious is "give peace a chance." This means they are war-weary. But how about when they say "it is too crowded." and some of the others. Please list all the possible reasons why a citizen would be unhappy as well as the fix to make them happy based on their comment.

3. When pollution strikes, how do you know waht the cause is. The two possible causes are overpopulation and improvements (I would assume facotires and the like). Sometimes I have a city that has a high pop AND has factories, so I don't know which to build (recycling or mass transit).

4. The first impovement in the "plant" series is the coal plant and the last is the solar plant. If I have a factory and a coal plant, but then I get the Hoover Dam wonder (or even just a hydro plant in that city), should I sell the coal plant? I would asusme the only difference bewteen the two is that hydro causes less pollution????

5. If I have hydro plants, and I up it to solar plants, I have eliminated all pollution from city improvements correct? if this is the case, can I sell all recycling centers?

Thanks guys.
Old May 8, 2002, 10:59   #2
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 20:19
Re: Important Questions. Please answer!
Quote:
Originally posted by dbconfessional
Multiple Questions

1. I am playing a game right now that has about 12 civs. On the foreign advisor screen, there are only 7 civs plus my civ. How do I make communication with the other civs if they aren't on the screen? There isn't a "more" button or anything, and the civ I want to talk to is too far away to right click one of their units to make contact.
In the diplomacy screen, shift-right-click on a picture or empty circle.

In the normal screen, shift-D.
Old May 8, 2002, 11:01   #3
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Pressing Shift-D will bring up a little menu screen thing where you have the option of talking to any of the countries. There's also an option (right click something on the portrait of the leader, I believe) that allows you to bring up a new leader in that screen.

The "too-crowded" problem can only be solved by building temples, entertainers, luxuries, etc. Basically everything else has to do with war.

As far as the different plants, only manufacturing works in addition to another plant. So yes, sell your coal plant.

I'd answer the rest of your questions, but I only have another minute before I have to leave, and those were the only answers I could get off the top of my head.
Old May 8, 2002, 11:03   #4
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 16:19
1) I have never played with that many civs so I don't know how to contact the other civs. I do remember reading how to do it in the manual. Check under foreign advisor in the index and read a few pages.

2) Citizens just get unhappy in large cities. I would recommend getting access to more luxury resources. You also can also increase luxury percentage for tax and hire entertainers in cities. Also certain cities improvements temple, cathedral, colesuim, even marketplace and banks if you civ as luxuries. Also some wonders help too. There are a lot of ways to make them happy, but luxury resources are the best (they're free).

3) Pollution gets worse the more you produce. I build mass transit and recycling in most cities. Don't build coal plants, use solar or hydro (Or better yet build Hoover Damn). Even with all of this you will still have pollution. Automated workers will clean this for you but if you insist on micromanagment atleast set some workers to auto-clean (manually cleaning pollution will make the modern era unplayable IMO)

4) Multi-plants don't add extra benefits. If you have Hoover sell sell all of your additional plants on the continent. Coal is bad.

5) If you build a plant when you already have one it discards your first plant. If you had hyro and built solar, you now have solar. (there is a bug with Hoover that leaves the hyro since it is free, but you don't get both plants).

Here is what I would do. Sell every power plant (except hydro) on the continent that has Hoover. Build solar or hydro on other continents. Avoid coal! Build mass trans and recycling in every city (unless they are small). And for the love of God automate your workers.
Old May 8, 2002, 11:09   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 03:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Important Questions. Please answer!
Quote:
Originally posted by dbconfessional
Multiple Questions

To initiate diplomacy, Shift+D. To see their relations, Foreign Advisor and Shift+Right Click any leader. That will let you choose another.

Quote:
2. When citizens are unhappy, you can click them to see what they are unhappy about. The most obvious is "give peace a chance." This means they are war-weary. But how about when they say "it is too crowded." and some of the others. Please list all the possible reasons why a citizen would be unhappy as well as the fix to make them happy based on their comment.
It's just too crowded - general unhappiness, depends on difficulty level. No particular solution, just the general ones - build Temples, Cathedrals, etc., or get Luxuries.

Give peace a chance! - war unhappiness, either build things like Police Station, change government type or stop the war.

No more draft! Hell, no, we won't go! - Citizens were drafted, and this will continue for 20 turns for each drafted citizen.

We can't forget the cruel oppresion you bored upon us! - sacrificing citizens to rush production, Despotism or Communism. Will stand for 20 turns.

Stop the aggression against our mother country - Only foreign citizens, this happens when you attack the country of their origin. They will be unhappy unless you stop the war. Make Entertainers or otherwise balance them with happy citizens if you don't want peace.

If there are any other, I'm yet to see them.

Quote:
3. When pollution strikes, how do you know waht the cause is. The two possible causes are overpopulation and improvements (I would assume facotires and the like). Sometimes I have a city that has a high pop AND has factories, so I don't know which to build (recycling or mass transit).
You can't now this. Generally, though, you have to build both recycling and mass transit.

Quote:
4. The first impovement in the "plant" series is the coal plant and the last is the solar plant. If I have a factory and a coal plant, but then I get the Hoover Dam wonder (or even just a hydro plant in that city), should I sell the coal plant? I would asusme the only difference bewteen the two is that hydro causes less pollution????
Yes, sell your Coal Plants. Only the Manufacturing Plant provides a cumulative bonus. Nuclear Plants are very good, due to high production.

Quote:
5. If I have hydro plants, and I up it to solar plants, I have eliminated all pollution from city improvements correct? if this is the case, can I sell all recycling centers?
Not quite. There's still the Factory that does produce pollution. You can sell your Recycling Centers, but I woldn't advise it.
Old May 8, 2002, 20:16   #6
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

*Snickers*
All responses within 10 minutes.