Old May 8, 2002, 17:59   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Will Civ3:PtW effect CTP2?
Does anyone think there will be any impact on CTP2 when the expansion pack for Civ3 is released? Do you think we will gain players, lose players, or be uneffected?
Old May 9, 2002, 02:09   #2
Big Dave
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 18:22
Depends on how much the expansion costs, and how PO'd people are over paying for something that should have been shipped with the original game.

Big Dave
Old May 9, 2002, 05:28   #3
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 01:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
In the long run if this is the only expansion then i think ctp2 can only gain players. The game has been shown to be substandard, yes some people like it, but the fomulaic and rigid structure of the game wont make it last half as long as civ2.
Well i read the announcment of the inclusion of pbem and hotseat (?) games, i think thats sure to take off more than some crappy turnless mode, its just not civ. I wont be ''buying'' it.
Old May 9, 2002, 16:24   #4
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 00:22
well in terms of how busy CTP2 will be here, i don't think it will make a huge difference. Most of the main guys here like CTP2 for it's differences over Civ2 and Civ3, plus they love(i think!)to tinker with it as its a very open and moddable game. So don't worry, i doubt very much if you'll see this forum turn into a complete ghost town, even when they release a Civ4.5!
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old May 11, 2002, 20:54   #5
Oerdin
Deity

I'm thinking this just might be the death neal of CTP2 multiplayer.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 11, 2002, 21:10   #6
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I'm thinking this just might be the death neal of CTP2 multiplayer.
I think it still offers a different enough style from civ3 to keep different people happy. As the single player game shows.

I enjoyed civ3 for a small while then got bored quickly, i think MP can be its only saving grace.
Old May 12, 2002, 16:45   #7
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

It'd be nice to have the safety net of CtP2 PBEM though.
Old May 19, 2002, 16:39   #8
Oerdin
Deity

Did anyone ever try to move the PBEM files from CTP1 over to CTP2? If someone could get it to work then I bet people would use it.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 19, 2002, 17:28   #9
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 02:22
What PBEM files do you meam exactly, Oerdin? I hope you don't mean PBEM save games. Even ApolytonPack savegames aren't compartible with the original game, so why should it work between CTP1 and CTP2. And so far as I know the game know if a savegame is saved in the right format otherwise you would see savegames saved with the patch in the unpatched game.

-Martin
Old May 20, 2002, 16:36   #10
Oerdin
Deity

I'm not really a programer so I'm not sure if the idea would even work or not. However, it seems like CTP2 wasn't all that different from CTP1. I believe they are essentially the same game so would it be possible to convert things that were in CTP1 but not in CTP2?
Old May 20, 2002, 16:52   #11
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:22
The look the same on the surface but 'under the hood' there are major differences. It's not without reason that CtP2 PBEM doesn't work to begin with...