Old May 8, 2002, 19:31   #1
MosesPresley
Prince

Local Time: 19:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Games like this are why I like Civ III
My latest game I am the Iroquois, regent level, continents-middle setting, temperate, and 4 billion YO.

I started on a large upside-down U shaped continent. I have the eastern leg. The Romans have the western leg and the Aztecs have the north. I sent my first scout and warrior north and ran into the Aztecs when they still had only two cities. I traded technologies and declared war. I destroyed one of their cities and sued for peace, since I did not have the necessary manpower in the area. This made them furious, of course. Around 500 BC, the Aztecs and the Romans formed an alliance against me. I successfully fended them off and they sued for peace.:

My only wonder is the Hanging Gardens. My neighbors have communications with the rest of the world, which I am slowly discovering. Since I am trying to fend off two civs, clear a massive jungle, (rubber later!) and maintain a decent infrastructure, I am half an age behind in technology. My only strategic resource is iron only just recently connected. I have access to horses on an island, but a sea is between us, so I won't be seeing my unique units or knights until Astronomy. I keep telling my scientists I want telescopes, but they keep bringing me hollowed out sticks with leaves over the ends.

It is currently around 900 AD and I am running a monarchy. I have just discovered Feudalism and we are sluggishly researching Chivalry. No one will trade with me for anything less than a ransom of my entire treasury and most of my GP per turn.

Now this is why I like the game: Even though the enemy has superior troops: knights vs. my catapults and spearmen, slowly upgrading to pikemen and swordsmen, I have successfully held the barbarian civs at bay. I lost one of my cities, but I was able to recapture it. Now my superior culture, due to my many temples, is starting to culture-flip their stray cities. I thought when the two civs ganged up on me that the game was over, but if things keep going the way they are, it will be a long uphill battle, but eventually I will drive the Aztecs into the ocean. They never fully recovered from that original war. I am resource poor, but if I can survive until Industrialism, the continent will be my mine and then the world!

Cue the national anthem.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old May 8, 2002, 21:02   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:22
That's why Civ games are cool.

I started a nifty game recently where I was in between 2 mountain ranges (and the other civs couldn't get through the mountains to settle my fertile valley... suckers ). I don't know where I'm at thought, haven't checked lately, I've been too busy studying for tests and whatnot.
Old May 8, 2002, 21:14   #3
Tuberski

My last game on Warloed level was memorable, I had no saltpeter, iron, aluminum. the best unit I could build for a LONG time was knights.

And yet I won.

It ended my playing on Warlord level, if I can win easily with those difficulties, then that level is to easy.

When I get a game like that on Regent and win, I'll move up again.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 8, 2002, 22:28   #4
MosesPresley
Prince

I'm not ready to move up to Monarch yet. The last time I did, I got my butt trounced. After I can figure out a consistent winning strategy for Regent, then I'll be movin' on up, to the east side, just like the Jeffersons.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old May 8, 2002, 22:34   #5
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:22
I always play on Monarch now, but I never finish my games anymore. They're just not satisfying later on, and I feel the need to start a new one. So I do. So I have maybe 50 games I've started but never finished at various time periods.
Old May 9, 2002, 00:27   #6
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:22
These are the kind of challenges that make the game fun.
Old May 9, 2002, 01:26   #7
Redstar
Warlord

Local Time: 00:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
the sad thing is..you will be toast and have wasted all this time when you could be playing a new game
Old May 9, 2002, 04:11   #8
I-iZ-1337
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
My last game on Warloed level was memorable, I had no saltpeter, iron, aluminum. the best unit I could build for a LONG time was knights.

And yet I won.

It ended my playing on Warlord level, if I can win easily with those difficulties, then that level is to easy.

When I get a game like that on Regent and win, I'll move up again.
J00 shud go straightz to deit33 and j00ze sum 1337 stratz like the onez I pozted on the stratz forumz.