Old May 8, 2002, 21:14   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ashura's question about AI
Ashura posted the following question in the FAQ; since we try to only keep fequently asked questions in the FAQ and not carry on discussions there I have taken the liberty of reposting his question here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Is it normal that the AI does not declare war to the player?? Because we are playing a multiplayer game with AI and the AI even when we attack them are unable to retaliate or even defend properly (medium level).
Is it the same with every one??
Beside, when I do control-n it say that all AI are desactivated but in the userprofil the AIon=Yes and I never touched it??
I have the french version.

Thank you
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The AI out of the box is not very aggressive. This is because Activision rushed CTP2 out the door, in order to make money, before the balancing of the AI could be completed. So yes it is normal in an unmodded game for the AI to sit around and do nothing. Fortunately, legions of dedicated SLIC programers have come up with a verity of solutions to this and other problems which greatly improves the flow and balance of the game.
I recommend downloading one of the free mods that are availible here at Apolyton and seeing how that works. You can find more information about the various mods by reading Lucutus's mod rap-up that is topped in this forum. Hope this helps.
Old May 9, 2002, 02:08   #2
Big Dave
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 18:22
Re: Ashura's question about AI
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

Fortunately, legions of dedicated SLIC programers have come up with a verity of solutions to this and other problems which greatly improves the flow and balance of the game.
I wouldn't normally quibble over spelling, but since your response might make it into the FAQ I thought that variety should be spelt kerrectly.
Respectfully,

Big Dave
Old May 9, 2002, 05:39   #3
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 01:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
and Locutus

---

Ive seen the AI act in strange ways on multiplayer a few times, especially when (almost) at war with 2 or more humans. I think thats understandable though, spreading its forces soooo badly you could walk into most of the land locked cities.:
Old May 9, 2002, 16:12   #4
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 00:22
In multiplayer the AI's are really just fodder for the human players, but as Oerdin mentions, download a mod(Craddle or MedMod are good to start) and the AI is more aggresive - still with the human opposition it will seem a fairly tame opponent. Usually my MP games become a mad dash to kill the AI's to build the power base to take each other out.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old May 9, 2002, 16:45   #5
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Maybe playing multiplayer with cradle, i think thats the only situation where id want to team up with another human
Old May 10, 2002, 08:08   #6
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

and "wrap-up"
--------------------------------------

WaW is the most aggressive mod I've played so far. It uses a Cradle-based AI, but with faster units, and the AI can be a killer.
Old May 10, 2002, 08:34   #7
Maquiladora
Emperor

Definately, i think actually WaW would make a good MP option. With fast moving units it would release some of the tedium of just waiting for players to start sloooooowly marching in, to a degree. Am i still on topic?
Old May 11, 2002, 06:57   #8
Ashura
Settler

Local Time: 00:22
Thanks you every one,

At least now it seems normal to me even if boring. I installed Apolyton packed, I hoped it will help a bit.

Another question though... In the multiplayer there is a button that say "handicap activiated" or "handicap desactivated". Does anyone now the exact effect

I begin to like this site very much.
Once again thanks
Old May 11, 2002, 08:54   #9
Maquiladora
Emperor

In my understanding (although i havent used it much) is if you use handicap, it helps the players behind in a game, to catch up in terms of growth and research if theyre behind the more skilled players. It helps the players by lowering the skill level in mid-game. I think it also helps by giving the lower ranked players in that game, boosts to their units health, over the players in front.

Just generally, better players will play on ''impossible'' through the game and the lower skilled player/s will play on say ''normal'' level.
Old May 11, 2002, 20:50   #10
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Ashura
Another question though... In the multiplayer there is a button that say "handicap activiated" or "handicap desactivated". Does anyone now the exact effect:confused
The handy cap makes the game more difficult for one of the players.
Old May 11, 2002, 21:03   #11
Maquiladora
Emperor

Yeah, what i said