Old April 5, 2001, 00:59   #31
Drakenred
Warlord

Local Time: 00:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Just guessing, but i suspect they have had a full up prototype code-Frame from 4k B.C. to 2+k A.D. for at about a year now, (and acording to the Artical they have been testing out Civ using the AC Frame basicaly since they signed the deal)

From what ive seen of Variouse Screenshots, the game looks like its in an advances state of development(or, more acuratly, what would be an Advanced state of development for a non-Sid Game! LOL), i saw few items that you would call placeholder art, and while i suspect that some of the art will change,( and pray that others WILL change, nothing personal Jeff Briggs!! (JUST KIDDING)) they have only shown art for about 29 units so far(not counting the Mig and F-15)

Ps Incidently, does anyone know how many units the game will have? i find it odd that they show both a Mig and a F-15on theirwebpage, and mention elsewhere(the CGW Artical) an F-16 unit!)

Pps (is it just me, or is their a Picture of the City view that acording to the same artical has been removed from the game? or did they mean something else was removed from the game???)
Old April 5, 2001, 01:15   #32
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:57
Local Date: October 30, 2010
O.K., guys. Look for a big post close to release time. We will set the Bug Hunt Team. I'm thinking we'll have two groups (and cross-overs at will).

GROUP 1: Find bugs
GROUP 2: Reproduce those bugs with saves

Of course, Group 1 should try to have a save anyway. And Group 2 will most likely uncover bugs, too. Buy my thinking here is that the people really good at finding bugs should not worry so much about testing it over and over and over. Not only that, even if the bug is found on ONE machine, we'd need confirmation anyway.

This way, people who don't want to use their gaming time looking for bugs can simply check in, see what has been reported, and try to reproduce it in a fairly quick process. What do you guys think?
Old April 5, 2001, 08:02   #33
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:57
It seems clever! I'm afraid I can't join, beause I'm stick with an old and full notebook, until 2half 2002.

Neverthless, why someone of you, with "mailing history" with Firaxis more estabilished than mine, don't try to ask them how they'll like more to have bug hunted and reported?

I suppose it will be better to report bugs in a format (info and classification) they can process faster, and I suppose will be better to use a different method than they already use during internal beta test.

If some bugs (not system configuration things ) evade a test method, it can be catch by a different "net".

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old April 5, 2001, 10:10   #34
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

We have a secret agent just waiting to do that when the time comes.
Old April 8, 2001, 03:04   #35
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

I can't click on the poll link
Old April 26, 2001, 14:56   #36
TheBirdMan
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power Democracy Game
Emperor

Location: A real Master of CTP-PBEM - together with all the others.....
Though it is two years since I have played CIV II, I would answer to this:

Civ3: Are you worried about bugs in civ3?

No, I am not. But I am worried, that the bugs may not be solved, that no or only one patch may be released. And that some vital features (MP/PBEM) may be offered at the alter of making money.

You do not need to ask me why - most of you are able to make a decent guess.
Old April 26, 2001, 15:04   #37
Mr Chafe
Chieftain

I am worried, there is nothing worse than downloading 20MB patches; especially on a 56k modem.

I recently had to download 200MB of Half Life patches to play Counterstrike. It really is a hassle, and one a game consumer shouldn't have to go through.
Old April 29, 2001, 02:29   #38
ajli@home
Chieftain

Mr Chafe: You are pretty much downloading a new game (sequel). They sell counterstrike seperately on CD as well.
Old April 29, 2001, 15:19   #39
markusf
King

I am mostly worried about "bugs" in the multiplayer game... The level of civ3 single players is far below that of multiplayers. In multiplayer you can take things to the extreme, 1x 1x diety you can have cities with over size 50 trade routes in every city, you can get 5k gold from a caravans etc etc. For example i think civ3's new introduction of gaining interest on gold is one of those things that will be taken to the extreme in multiplayer.
Old April 29, 2001, 17:15   #40
Ralf
King

The ONLY Civ-3 bugs im an worried about is those who prevent me to play the game at all; you know, the game-screen freezes directly after the intro-screens, and I have to wait a couple of weeks before the first patch come out, that might solve my particular hardware-related problem.

The SMAC game was playable. It just had to be finetuned and tweaked with a couple of patches.
Old May 1, 2001, 14:16   #41
drake
King

+++++++++++FIRAXIS LISTEN TO THIS+++++++++++

I agree with markus. I'm worried about bugs in multiplayer games.

Reasoning is that I'm playing a game in which 3 late game bugs have put a damper on a great game.

1) Apollo program building crashed the game repeatedly. We had to complete the turn in single player and than reload in multiplayer.

2) Money from taking enemy civs cities went to the enemy themselves, rather than the person who just took the city. Not cool.

3) The biggest slap in the face- when a civs cap who had launched a ship was captured, rather than having the ability to move their cap and save the ship as they should have, the ship returned. This caused a huge issue. Civ might have lost a very fine player over this.

This kind of crap is un-acceptable. Either put a cap on certain variables so the game doesnt get retarded at the end, or actually play test it a few times and work out the bugs......

I'd be happy to help playtest
Old May 1, 2001, 14:54   #42
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Bugs are inevitable. As long as there is a patch that fixes them, I'm happy.

------------------
Ex Fide Vive
Old May 6, 2001, 06:15   #43
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

One issue which i see as a kind of bug, is how trade related values are rounded up or down, I think it would be better to use Fractions (decimal fractions/float variables)
when caluclating percentage of gold you get from trade, sometimes you'd get more money in one city if you reduced the tax amount, and it would jump to the science rate.. it didn't seem to make much sense.
( though it looks like buildings can have support in half values, if that half coin isn't a mistake in the sup. city list)

Admiral Pete
Old May 6, 2001, 15:09   #44
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 19:57
Bugs. Bugs are bugs. they're always there in just about any modern product. They're not due to the size of a program they're due to market pressures. But I'm confident that Firaxis would fix any bugs in their product. I'm not worried.
Old May 7, 2001, 11:09   #45
MarkG

Civ3: Are you worried about bugs in civ3?
OptionVotes / Percentage
No, I have trust in Firaxis and Sid 39 / 14%
Civ3 will have some bugs but Firaxis will be committed to fixing them 104 / 38%
Civ3 will have some bugs, some will be corrected other not 69 / 25%
The SMAC disaster will happen again 19 / 7%
I dont care, I love discussing bugs anyway 3 / 1%
I dont know, I can only hope for the best 35 / 13%
Total Votes: 269
View Comments | Forums Discussion

[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited May 07, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited May 07, 2001).]