Old May 20, 2002, 11:57   #31
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 17:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
One weird thing: I started the game with two settlers (playing as Romans, Medium difficulty and standard map); the first one moved ok, but the second one would not accept my movement orders. When I moved it north, for instance, on the next turn he automatically moved south! That was the only bug I could find.
I've only put a couple of hours on this Mod, but so far its impressive. Thanks again. The only bug I've found, as noted above, is with the second Settler. After you move it initially, left alone, the Settler will ignore your orders and move back to its starting point. I've gotten around this by simply "sleeping" the 2nd Settler after each movement, then left clicking it and clearing its orders (when I check the "old" orders before clearing them, I note no matter how far, or in what direction I move, the orders lead back to the point of origin. This guy really does not want to leave Mom ). But considering I don't march a Settler around too long before establishing a city, this is a very minor bug far outweighed by the advantages of the mod I've seen so far.
Old May 20, 2002, 12:09   #32
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 02:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Tamerlin
Martin :
Thank you for your answer, as far as I can remember Dale has included some of the concepts you have designed for your CityMod (the new ages for example) in the Super Apolyton Pack.
Actual Dale included all of them. In if he included more than it doesn't matter as you can put a lot of stuff into the Great Library it wouldn't appear in the game if there is no refference in the according textfile. So if you have in the Great Library an additional concept than, but this is not be find in the concept.txt than it won't appear in the game. Basically the Great Library and other language related text files are taken from CityMod2. I guess Dave fixed my spellings. So he did some modification afterwards. At least all the CityMod2 are in Apolyton Pack and it is no problem to use these files for CityMod2. (Than I can remove the French version of Citymod from my homepage.) I did not included the 50 cityname list in CityMod2 and the new Civs actual to make the APOL_str_loc.txt was the most boring part of the translation, just a lot of copy, paste and modify.

Quote:
Does it mean you have updated the Great Library entries related to your mod in the Super Apolyton Pack?
Actual the Great Library files are from the last year, so they are from ApolytonPack 1.02. As I mentioned above Dale did some small modifications to them but that should be all, so no update.

Quote:
If you are talking about your own CityMod, I'am afraid I won't have the time to translate it until I have finished the Super Apolyton Pack's one, it will be a pleasure to work on your Mod.

Best regards.
As I explained above once the ApolytonPack is done it is just a small issure of renaming files. Actual the translation of GoodMod was the real pain, all these history entries...

Actual I just wanted to point out what has to be translated in the Great Library.

-Martin
Old May 20, 2002, 13:17   #33
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 00:24
Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
The only bug I've found, as noted above, is with the second Settler. After you move it initially, left alone, the Settler will ignore your orders and move back to its starting point. I've gotten around this by simply "sleeping" the 2nd Settler after each movement, then left clicking it and clearing its orders (when I check the "old" orders before clearing them, I note no matter how far, or in what direction I move, the orders lead back to the point of origin. This guy really does not want to leave Mom ).
I saw this in the last 'Balam-warriors of the wind' game i played. I've never seen it happen before. I had 2 settlers out and about and one of them just kept trying to get back to the city it had come from??????? So i don't think this is specific to Apolyton but more likely to do with one of the new Slic files?
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old May 20, 2002, 13:26   #34
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

That's odd, I never heard of that before. Do you still have a savegame of that round, CoT?
Old May 20, 2002, 13:44   #35
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Actual Wes reported also something about this problem in one of the MedPack release treads as a bug.

-Martin
Old May 20, 2002, 14:03   #36
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
That's odd, I never heard of that before. Do you still have a savegame of that round, CoT?
give me an hour or so and i'll load up and see if i've got one with it happening(if i got it at all!). This is something new - post Craddle 1.3 i'd never seen it happen.

EDIT: OK it's not Craddle 1.3(as far as i know). It was in 'GoodMod for MedMod 2.1:Crusade' , i was trying out GoodMod for the first time as i'd promised Martin(he'd been very helpfull as i had a few problems with it.) and decided to go for this version as i liked MedMod. So if WeS knows about this then i guess it must be an addition that both Apolyton and MedMod have had recently.
I don't have a save game near to the event but i might be able to manufacture one later on.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Last edited by child of Thor; May 20, 2002 at 14:38.
Old May 20, 2002, 22:00   #37
mnbryan37
Warlord

Local Time: 18:24
Downloading
Dale,

I'm a real novice regarding downloading. I have downloaded V2.0 of your patch tgo CTP2 to my desktop. When I unzip the files Explorer then opens a folder showing the unzipped files. What do I do next?

Bill at mnbryan37@yahoo.com
Old May 20, 2002, 22:11   #38
DeanToth
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:24
If you are using the built-in Windows unzipper, then these files will show up in a "normal" window... if this is the case then:

- Highlight them all (drag-lasso them or use the menu "Edit/select all")

- "Cut" them (use the scissors icon or the menu "Edit/cut" or right-click on them)

- Open your "My Computer" and navigate to the folder:
C:\Program Files\Activision\Call To Power 2
and then "Paste" the files (use the clipboard icon or the menu "Edit/paste" or right-click-paste)

If you don't know how to get to the Call To Power 2 folder, do this:
-Open "My Computer"
-Open "C:"
-Open "Program Files"
-Open "Activision"
-Open "Call to Power 2"
-Now click the paste icon or use "Edit/paste" menu

This should do it.
==================

Remember to make sure you have installed Modswapper (which has a auto-installer)

I have downloaded and am using Apolyton 2.0 - it is GREAT!! I hope you are an advanced CTP2 player, cuz Super Apolyton is thankfully quite HARD! Hope this helps. If you need further help, just say so. You can email me directly too if you want

Deantoth@hotmail.com

Last edited by DeanToth; May 20, 2002 at 22:22.
Old May 20, 2002, 22:58   #39
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 10:24
Just on the auto second settler, I've seen it in WAW as well.

So that's now:
- Super AP2
- WAW
- MedMod
- GoodMod for MedMod

I have no idea where it stems from.
Old May 20, 2002, 23:38   #40
mnbryan37
Warlord

Downloading
Dean,

Thanks for the help. Actually I have Windows XP, which has no built-in Zip program. I downloaded the latest version of Win Zip. Your suggestions gave me the clue I needed to input to WinZip to get the program inro my CTP2 file.

I have been playing CTP2 for some time now, and am much better at that than I am am dealing with the Internet.

Thanks again, Bill
Old May 21, 2002, 09:19   #41
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 19:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Dale

So that's now:
- Super AP2
- WAW
- MedMod
- GoodMod for MedMod

I haven't noticed this happening in Cradle, but I normally play on the levels that do not give the human player a second settler.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old May 21, 2002, 10:59   #42
mnbryan37
Warlord

Loading Error
Dale,

I have V2.0 working and it's great. The second AI I ran into was a stack of 11 units! Just after I met that AI the program crashed. It was 890BC. A "targo load error" appeared stating "unable to find the file UPDG78.tga".

Any suggestions?

Bill
Old May 21, 2002, 11:37   #43
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Now *this* is a challenging Mod.

For the first time since I figured out how this game works, I got my b*tt kicked. Just plain kicked. On MEDIUM no less. Now granted, I've never played the more aggressive Mods like Cradle or WAW, and even on the prior version of Apolyton stuck to the Very Hard level (w/ marauding Barbarians). But playing Apolyton on Very Hard I was always extremely comfortable and there was nothing the AI could throw at me that I couldn't handle. The Medium level game I abandoned last night before being reduced to complete rubble, had quite a few surprising challenges:

- Despite "Respect" and "Trust" regard, the Americans killed my Diplomat trying to enter their soil, then launched an attack on me. To say this attack was massive, is an understatement.

- Despite the fact that I should have been "protected" by the non-war aspect of the Forbidden City Wonder, the Americans marched several stacks of 8-12, and began punching holes into my Empire city by city*. Having never seen an invasion force of this level, and thinking I was safe, I was far from prepared.

- Instead of just attacking my cities on its borders, the Americans did an "end run" to my cities much further away, and naturally less defended.

- After I defeated an Army of twelve which tried to take my Capital, a fresh stack of 8 Americans showed up a few turns later. Counting the Armies I had parked outside of the city before the last invasion, I was down to 5.

- I probably would have been able to hold onto a few cities and launch a counter attack, hoping the Americans used all their troops for the offensive (and if they didn't, it would have been a suicide mission), but I was so stunned by an AI far more attack minded than I had ever seen, I figured starting a new game with this knowledge would be fairer to me.

*Dale: Was that supposed to happen - is the ignoring of Forbidden City Wonder a consistent aspect of this Mod? If so, I'm going to need to radically rethink my approach to this game. I use the protection of the Forbidden City to launch numerous Settlers (protected only enough to defeat Barbarians), build up my Empire, and to place large invasion/defending Armies on other civ's borders.

All in all, despite the b*tt kicking, a very challenging, enjoyable experience. Man I'm glad I found you guys.

Last edited by TheArsenal; May 21, 2002 at 18:32.
Old May 21, 2002, 18:14   #44
mnbryan37
Warlord

V2.0
I agree. It's a very different game. I have played at the hardest levels of the original game, so I thought I would start out at the hard level of V.2.0. I'm at about 100 BC and just barely holding on to my six cities. I think I'll back up a notch or two on my next game.

In my experience, the Forbidden City (at least at the harder levels of the original game) never stopped an AI from attacking me, it just doesn't allow them to "declare war" prior to their attack, which has always made it a fairly useless Wonder to me.

Bill
Old May 21, 2002, 18:31   #45
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

To the best of my knowledge the Forbidden City only closes embassies and increases regard, it doesn't actually prevent war. The not-being-able-to-declare-war-thingie is from CtP1, it no longer applies in CtP2.
Old May 21, 2002, 18:43   #46
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
To the best of my knowledge the Forbidden City only closes embassies and increases regard, it doesn't actually prevent war. The not-being-able-to-declare-war-thingie is from CtP1, it no longer applies in CtP2.
Interesting. The information in the Wonder Movie definitely says something about "can not declare war", but as Bill was saying above, it sounds they can attack and are just skipping the formality of declaration. That means all those games I believed I couldn't be attacked and used that as a strategy, I was just plain lucky due to the increased regard. Well, clearly, my luck has run out.

Last edited by TheArsenal; May 21, 2002 at 18:49.
Old May 21, 2002, 19:15   #47
Locutus
Deity

Nope, it said that in the last 5 seconds of the CtP1 movie, they removed those last 5 seconds from the CtP2 movie...
Old May 21, 2002, 20:02   #48
Dale
Emperor

Regardless if the Forbidden City protects or not, if you didn't receive a message about America declaring war, their trust/regard levels must have been so low for you that they just attacked by surprise.

Question: was America an Evil Genius?

The style of America's play is consistent to how I've seen Evil Genius' play. Surprise, fast, attack/attack/attack, conquor.

EDIT: By "their trust/regard levels" I mean their levels for you, not your levels for them that you see on the first diplo screen. Their levels are found in the intelligence screen.
Old May 21, 2002, 21:07   #49
mnbryan37
Warlord

Forbidden City
I hate to argue with an expert, but in my version of CTP2 it clearly states in the narative below the movie (you need to scroll down to find it) that other countries can not declare war against you. Must have been a mistake they forgot to remove when they deleted that feature from the CTP1 version, as it seems to be a worthless amenity.

Bill
Old May 21, 2002, 22:45   #50
Dale
Emperor

Must be a Great Library stuffup. Straight from wonders.txt:

Quote:
WONDER_THE_FORBIDDEN_CITY {
DefaultIcon ICON_WONDER_THE_FORBIDDEN_CITY
Description DESCRIPTION_WONDER_THE_FORBIDDEN_CITY
Movie MOVIE_WONDER_THE_FORBIDDEN_CITY
EnableAdvance ADVANCE_CONCRETE

ObsoleteAdvance ADVANCE_RAILROAD

ProductionCost 2160
CloseEmbassies
IncreaseRegard 50
}
No war stopping stuff here. From Martin's post in "entries in wonder.txt" CTP2 looks like it doesn't have anything like it in the flags. Oh well. There's a bugfix for the GL.
Old May 22, 2002, 02:17   #51
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Actual the war stopping stuff can be found in the orders.txt or goals.txt. Not quite shure in which one rhight now here at university, but there is a flag TargetProtectionWonder. Of course flag must be used in all orders, the enemy can still enlsave you actual a hot war attack.

-Martin
Old May 23, 2002, 20:18   #52
Finch
Settler

I have a problem with this...
ok, i changed the number of players that are allowed to 32 (thought it would be fun.....). i cant move my 2nd settler! i move it then it moves all by itself. anyone have this problem, and any way to fix it?
Old May 23, 2002, 21:55   #53
Dale
Emperor

Finch:

See the discussion at the top of page 2 of this thread....
Quote:

So that's now:
- Super AP2
- WAW
- MedMod
- GoodMod for MedMod

It's on the "to look into" list.
Old May 23, 2002, 22:27   #54
Finch
Settler

thx
thanks man, your site is cool and so is this one. i playCTP on the computer upstaris and i cant download nothing but winzip files. so im glad you zip em so i can use em! its cool that u can do this stuff . good job! ill keep looking here for updates
Old May 24, 2002, 09:54   #55
Adriano
Chieftain

Open zip file
Can't do it!!!!!...no way. mad: ......anyone has new advices??
Old May 24, 2002, 09:56   #56
mnbryan37
Warlord

V2.0 Crash
Dale,

I'm still having problems with V2.0 crashing. The first two times I got an error message that the program could't find a file, first file was "UPDG78.tga", the second was "UPDG79.tga". I re-downloaded the files and started a second game. I'm at about 600 AD, and it crashed again, this time with no error message. All the crashes have occurred as an army stack, either mine or an AI's attempts to move.

Bill
Old May 24, 2002, 13:00   #57
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Regardless if the Forbidden City protects or not, if you didn't receive a message about America declaring war, their trust/regard levels must have been so low for you that they just attacked by surprise.

Question: was America an Evil Genius?
If I remember correctly, America was something like a "Shrewd International Trader" which America seems to be in the majority of my games. As far as regard goes, I was certain that the Americans regard/trust toward me was at fairly even levels, but there is the distinct possibility it dropped rapidly in the few turns I was not monitoring.

In any case, going into a new game a few days ago knowing AI will build lots of units and use them, has made me pay a great deal more attention to the diplomacy aspect of the game and my own defense. Although still challenging, it is a much more even game. Now if I can just cure that crazy wandering 2nd Settler of its mad cow disease ...
Old May 24, 2002, 15:25   #58
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
Now if I can just cure that crazy wandering 2nd Settler of its mad cow disease ...
You'll have to learn SLIC to do that. The 2nd settler bug is definitely being caused by the FrenzyAI code and I suspect the problem with the Forbidden City is too. (In the Frenzy code there's no check to see if the AI civ is at war with the Human before it does whatever it does.) I spent some time looking at that code and all I found was a load of bugs. Never could figure out what was going on. I think it should be scrapped unless one of the guys can properly debug it.
Old May 25, 2002, 20:51   #59
Dale
Emperor

mnbryon:

Have a look in CTP2\ctp2_data\default\graphics\pictures for those two files. The two files you mention are two of the new diplomacy parchments.
Old May 25, 2002, 20:52   #60
Dale
Emperor

Adriano:

What's happening? Which file?

Peter:

Hence why I'm writing that new unit useage script.