Peter, your cat is called Gottlob? I thought it was Goblin
Old June 12, 2002, 12:32   #92
ETB
Warlord

Local Time: 19:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
I was a fan of the Ultra-Gigantic Map, and regularly played with 11 civs. But on my system, I was finding in the later game, especially with the large armies needed for multi-front campaigns, that it was taking quite some time between turns. Up to 7, 8 minutes sometimes. I'm sure that's a hardware issue. So while I miss that size map in some ways, I am finding I enjoy the quicker turn time more. If it turns out its not a hardware issue, I would be glad to see the Ultra-Gigantic make a return.
Yes, I had forgotten about those long waits between turns. Sometimes I would cook a meal and eat it while the AIs completed their turns! I think that I spent about 3 months playing one of those games (and I don’t think that I’ve played since then. Hmmmm….). It was interesting though because there would always be some strong AIs on the other side of the world that would give me lots of trouble when we would finally meet up. Plus, it seemed more like our world with so many different AIs running around. I’ll probably need to try some “regular-sized” games before I even think about going to the oversized map!
Old June 12, 2002, 12:33   #93
ETB
Warlord

Re: Bugs
Quote:
Originally posted by mnbryan37
Martin,

You are correct. The V2.0 does not include your fix of the crash's that occurr when pillaging neutral tile improvements. I think it does include all the other fixes though.

Bill
Ha - father knows best!!!
Old June 12, 2002, 14:38   #94
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 17:24
Quote:
[SIZE=1] Originally posted by Peter Triggs
The AI likes water about as much as my cat, Gottlob, liked going for a swim. It's disappointing: the game has lots of great naval units but I find that as soon as I put any significant percentage of water on the map, I'm in for an easy game.
I am finding the AI will send out a few naval units to pillage, but will only, occasionally, land units on your soil in stacks of one or two.

I very often use a stacked fleet of three battleships, three troop ships, one sub (purely to see other subs) in "hit and run missions". I bombard a city a few turns, unload, destroy it, then sail off to another city or sue for peace. In the prior mod I could win this way practically. What I am finding though, in this mod, is once I begin bombarding, the AI's land units dispatch more quickly and in larger stacks to deal with the threat - making the amphibious assault more costly to me (although AI units will occasionally flee the city entirely). This is a big improvement.

It sounds as though getting the AI to launch amphibious assaults is very difficult (I know ZERO about modding) but is it possible to get it to produce more naval units and patrol its shores more vigilantly? The naval aspect of the game is one of my favorites.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:49   #95
Ashura
Settler

Local Time: 00:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thanks Peter,

I think that might do because it compelll the AI to have bombard capable unit before attacking. There's might be something too in the strategies file but I do not really understand it right now.

I agree too with Arsenal that we might first try to improve the naval ability of the AI with the build and stratgies may be. But I do not understand the ins and outs of those file...

Arsenal, I like very much the naval aspect of the game (and the underwater cities too).
Old June 12, 2002, 16:49   #96
DeanToth
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:24
Hi everyone! Long time no chat.

I have been playing an Apolyton 2.0 game for a while now. So, it is a huge improvement over standard CTP2. I love it, love it, love it!!! I am having fun... but..... (the inevitable "but")

- when I try to disband a city, I get an error

In object MM2_CapitalCaptured, variables 'MM2_CapitalCaptured#tmpCity1' and 'noname' are of different types

and when I click "OK" another message pops up:

In object MM2_CapitalCaptured, function _CityHasBuilding: Wrong kind of builtin variable

Then I alt+tab back to the game and it SEEMS to work fine. (but is it really working fine? what am I missing in the background?)

- Now that my game has progressed to the modern age, I get this message every single turn for the past 4 or 5 turns:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\activision\call to power 2\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\APOL_airunit.slc:112: array index 0 out of bounds

When I click "OK" the game continues, but i am worried the errors are affecting the AI or something... HELP!
Old June 12, 2002, 16:55   #97
DeanToth
Chieftain

I agree with the posts regarding large amounts of ocean. I love to play with plenty of ocean and fairly large "continental islands" (australia-like landmasses).

but the AI never does anything but send one or three units at a time across the pond.

Even in the original CTP and Civ games, I felt this was a limit of the AI ability to have a "two step" planning strategy. It is easy for the AI to think "OK, I will send 12 soldiers to city X and destroy it"

But to do the same across water, the AI has to think "OK, i must have 4 carracks first, load each one with 3 soldiers, then unload them, then reform my 12-stack"

This brings up the attendant problem of having the AI build the carracks in the first place... the AI has to think of the future, of less immediately tangible goals in order to do so.. Otherwise, the AI tends to just buff up it's army with whatever is most powerful (artillery, etc).

This extra intermediate step is understandably difficult to program, but yet is one of the KEY weaknesses to any wargame i've ever played.

I don't suppose any SLIC code could address this?

Even so, I guess I could live with playing on no-ocean maps and have fun anyway... thanks so much for this great mod.
Old June 12, 2002, 17:28   #98
DeanToth
Chieftain

OK, i've tried reloadslic and loading the plain game in modswapper and then exiting and loading the Apolyton game.. it didn't work.

I still get the "air unit" message listed above.

Now, instead of one error, I get 4 per turn. When I hit "OK" another identical error pops up until I click "OK" on all four.

I presume this means the enemy empire now has 4 air units and they each cause this error, per turn.

HELP!! should I re-download the AP2.0 files and reinstall them? I downloaded my files a couple weeks ago.
Old June 12, 2002, 17:31   #99
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 02:24
Quote:
Originally posted by DeanToth
I agree with the posts regarding large amounts of ocean. I love to play with plenty of ocean and fairly large "continental islands" (australia-like landmasses).

but the AI never does anything but send one or three units at a time across the pond.

Even in the original CTP and Civ games, I felt this was a limit of the AI ability to have a "two step" planning strategy. It is easy for the AI to think "OK, I will send 12 soldiers to city X and destroy it"

But to do the same across water, the AI has to think "OK, i must have 4 carracks first, load each one with 3 soldiers, then unload them, then reform my 12-stack"

This brings up the attendant problem of having the AI build the carracks in the first place... the AI has to think of the future, of less immediately tangible goals in order to do so.. Otherwise, the AI tends to just buff up it's army with whatever is most powerful (artillery, etc).

This extra intermediate step is understandably difficult to program, but yet is one of the KEY weaknesses to any wargame i've ever played.

Even so, I guess I could live with playing on no-ocean maps and have fun anyway... thanks so much for this great mod.
Maybe you like to test this code. It will move AI units in from costial tile into an transporter presuming a neigbour sea has a transporter. This code will also regroup AI stacks in order to remove the settlers from them and other speacial units that shouldn't be part of an attack stack. Additional it will move armies from roads that wants to fortify there. And finally it will build roads around AI cities in order to bypass the AI city location.

But note IIRC there is one small problem in it: It will also move AI units into transports if there is only one unit and the transporter has a capacity of five units.

The intention of this code is: Once a transporter is filled the AI will choose a apropiate goal for the transporter.

For instalation just unzip the attached *.zip file into your ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\ directory and find there the file APOL_script.slc.

Open this file and add the line at the end:

#include "MG_BetterAI.slc"

Note if you have installed GoodMod v.0.99 than this file in the attachment will overwrite a previous version of this file. The version of the current GoodMod version does not contain the AI regroup stack code and the ship loader, therefore make a backup before overwriting. Then happy testing.

-Martin
Attached Files:
File Type: zip mg_betterai.zip (5.4 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Martin Gühmann; June 12, 2002 at 17:36.
Old June 12, 2002, 17:32   #100
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 17:24
Quote:
Originally posted by ETB

Yes, I had forgotten about those long waits between turns. Sometimes I would cook a meal and eat it while the AIs completed their turns! I think that I spent about 3 months playing one of those games (and I don’t think that I’ve played since then. Hmmmm….). It was interesting though because there would always be some strong AIs on the other side of the world that would give me lots of trouble when we would finally meet up. Plus, it seemed more like our world with so many different AIs running around. I’ll probably need to try some “regular-sized” games before I even think about going to the oversized map!
What I also like about the Ultra-Gigantic Map were the logistics involved in dealing with those powerful civs on the other side of the globe - since I'm a war monger - when planning/engaging in battle. Since these civs were inevitably huge and could muster large armies, invasions required detailed planning of troop supply lines and airstrip positioning (I do most of my warring in the Modern Era). Especially since in the last ApolytonPack you couldn't just destroy a city, if you took it, you're defending it (a clarification from my prior email which made it sound like I was destroying cities in the previous mod as opposed to occupying) Creating a supply line of cities to a civ across the map meant fighting your way through other civs to do it.

I also like that sense of anticipation in the early game looking at the rankings and seeing this powerful civ out there somewhere, getting the occasional message that the civ has conquered yet another civ somewhere, yet I can't seem to find it yet even with my newly built longships. And that "holy crap" feeling when I do finally get map and this civ is massively spread out everywhere.
Old June 12, 2002, 17:35   #101
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
OK, i've tried reloadslic and loading the plain game in modswapper and then exiting and loading the Apolyton game.. it didn't work.

I still get the "air unit" message listed above.

Now, instead of one error, I get 4 per turn. When I hit "OK" another identical error pops up until I click "OK" on all four.

I presume this means the enemy empire now has 4 air units and they each cause this error, per turn.

HELP!! should I re-download the AP2.0 files and reinstall them? I downloaded my files a couple weeks ago.
Maybe you should check your userprofile.txt in your ..\ctp2_program\ctp\ folder. Open this file and search for a line DebugSlic=. If it set on Yes than change it to No.

Another note on the installation on the previous attachment: Of course once you reloaded the game you have to reloadslic. Therefore (actual this is meant for all) just open the chat window by typing the apostrophe key and enter /reloadslic

-Martin
Old June 12, 2002, 19:56   #102
DeanToth
Chieftain

Martin -

Thank you very much. The "DebugSlic=No" trick is working... I no longer get 4 errors per turn.

Now I wonder - have I turned off the error reporting while the error is still occurring in the background? Is there a fundamental problem that is still occurring which is now 'hidden' because of turning off the debug feature? sorry to be so picky.... I still *love* AP2.0!

===========================

OK, I will try your new AI-code as it sounds very interesting. I have some questions:

You wrote:
-----------------------------
Maybe you like to test this code. It will move AI units in from costial tile into an transporter presuming a neigbour sea has a transporter.
-----------------------------
I'm sorry to pester you with questions..... but does this mean the AI will only move units into a Transport when a neighboring AI-controlled city of the same empire has a transport too? (this makes no sense)... i am confused... sorry! please help

Thanks again for your "debug" tip! I am now back into my game.
Old June 12, 2002, 20:43   #103
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
- Now that my game has progressed to the modern age, I get this message every single turn for the past 4 or 5 turns:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\activision\call to power 2\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\APOL_airunit.slc:112: array index 0 out of bounds
I think playing with DebugSlic=Yes is a good idea. It is the only way we'll ever find all the bugs in the SLIC we've added to the game. My Updater code has been out since last July and I thought it was bug-free until a couple of days ago when Lou pointed out a couple of minor bugs in it.

Actually, I thought Dale had recently brought out a new version of that code. I only play Cradle and never get to the point where there's Air Units, but glancing at the file, it needs:
Code:
           player[0]=tmpArmy.owner;   //added 
	for (i = 0; i < tmpArmy.size; i = i + 1) {
because there's no player[0] being passed through the MoveOrder event.
Quote:
- when I try to disband a city, I get an error

In object MM2_CapitalCaptured, variables 'MM2_CapitalCaptured#tmpCity1' and 'noname' are of different types

and when I click "OK" another message pops up:

In object MM2_CapitalCaptured, function _CityHasBuilding: Wrong kind of builtin variable
I've had that one, too, but I thought it was something I did (because in some other code I'm running, I generate a DisbandCity event) although I never could figure out what. So, evidently not; but we'll have to wait for Locutus to come back and have a look at it.

Quote:
Now I wonder - have I turned off the error reporting while the error is still occurring in the background? Is there a fundamental problem that is still occurring which is now 'hidden' because of turning off the debug feature?
As I understand it, yes. These bugs aren't really all that serious - like we're not talking about the "Blue Screen of Death" here - and they may only pop up in very rare circumstances, but they ought to be fixed.

Quote:

When I was playing the other day, I had to mount an amphibious invasion and, while organizing and executing it, found myself thinking "Good grief, this would be difficult to program!" I wouldn't really know how to start doing something like this with SLIC because, for one thing, I can't see how you could use it to specify the general conditions under which you would want to launch an amphibious invasion rather than a land one. Clearly, if you're on an island you've got to use ships but there's bound to be tons of cases where you'd be better off going by sea rather than by land and it's this general situation that I can't really think of how to deal with.
Old June 12, 2002, 21:07   #104
mnbryan37
Warlord

Local Time: 18:24
AI Attacks
I am playing my first V2.0 game at the "hard" level and have found that the AI will eventually atack my cities, unless I have a defending army near (or bigger than) the size of the attackers. They will "dance around" for some few turns first, but eventually will attack.

Bill
Old June 13, 2002, 06:54   #105
freestyler
Chieftain

Quote:
I am playing my first V2.0 game at the "hard" level and have found that the AI will eventually atack my cities, unless I have a defending army near (or bigger than) the size of the attackers. They will "dance around" for some few turns first, but eventually will attack.
I have noticed that

Can be quite annoying sometimes !
Old June 13, 2002, 10:15   #106
Peter Triggs
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
is it possible to get it to produce more naval units and patrol its shores more vigilantly? The naval aspect of the game is one of my favorites.
AFAIK, the percentage of naval units that an AIciv will produce is determined by the following data in the various STRATEGY_'s:

Quote:
// Unit Percents must total to 1 (100%)
OffensiveUnitsPercent 0.30
DefensiveUnitsPercent 0.20
RangedUnitsPercent 0.30
SeaUnitsPercent 0.10
AirUnitsPercent 0.10
So you could increase the SeaUnitsPercent if you wanted to. But, on top of that, I've always had the feeling that the AI makes some sort of over-riding adjustment depending on the ratio of land to water on the map.

As for getting it to patrol its shores more vigilantly, I've had some success with tweaking the base priorities in the GOALS sections, and the force matching settings in their sections, of the various strategies so that it will attack your ships (actually, all your units) more often. These attacks are often suicidal but they keep you on your toes.

If I ever get it working to my satisfaction, I'll release it straight away. In the meantime, you could always try tweaking some of this data yourself. Personally, I find it as much fun as playing the game. And you never know what you might discover and be able to pass on to us.
Old June 15, 2002, 09:23   #107
ETB
Warlord

Downloading
I did a fresh CtP2 installation yesterday followed by the Patch and ModSwapper. I then unzipped texts.zip, sprites.zip, and pics1.zip that I had downloaded from Dale’s website. They extracted flawlessly into my CtP2 directory using WinZip 8.0. The files named Pics2, 3, and 4 (dot zip) would not unzip and I noticed that they seemed to be too small (about 200 KB in size). Sure enough, the sizes were not consistent for these three files, so I re-downloaded them. It didn’t work again and again and again! It was such agony to be so close to the Super Apolyton Pack! Finally I used the right-click method and “Save Target As” option in my browser (IE6). The files then downloaded with success. I suspect my browser just didn’t understand how to properly download the files using the normal click method. Others who have any problems with downloading may want to try the “Save Target As” method.

I also noted that texts.zip actually downloaded at 690KB, but I assume that is due to the additional bug fixes that were added after the initial release of the Super Apolyton Pack. Dale mentioned that they were added to the texts.zip file – I think that I read that in an early post of this Super-Long Apolyton Pack thread.
Old June 15, 2002, 09:27   #108
ETB
Warlord

Where are the Bugs?
I completed 196 turns so far and I noticed only one “bug” if it was a bug. Around turn 150 I received a herald that the Mexicans were starting to build the Apolyton wonder! It made me laugh because I think this website is great, but to consider it a wonder of the world?! Anyway, the very next herald said that the Mexicans were building Appian Way, so I assume that they changed their mind about building Apolyton (don’t you need Internet before you can build Apolyton?) I should have captured that screen!

I have seen no other signs of bugs, crashes or other unusual activity.
Old June 15, 2002, 10:34   #109
freestyler
Chieftain

Quote:
Around turn 150 I received a herald that the Mexicans were starting to build the Apolyton wonder!
Had the same experiance...Only it was the Barbarians who was building the Apolyton Pack !
Old June 15, 2002, 17:17   #110
ETB
Warlord

My First Super CtP2 Game
I started my game on the “Very Hard” level with the Barbarian threat set to “Raiders.” Before Super (BS) Apolyton Pack was released, I played at Impossible with the Barbarian threat maxed so I thought I’d take both options down a notch for my first "Super" game. I used the largest map, 8 players and tried to get one large land mass with some water so it would be similar to Europe in terms of everyone having land access to everyone else. I am hoping that this will reduce or eliminate the large naval advantage I enjoyed over the AIs in games I played BS.

In summary, I can’t believe how well the AI is doing! This is a great mod! I offer the screenshot below as evidence of my claim that this is an awesome mod:

BS I would play against 18 AIs (on the oversize map) and about 3 or 4 of them would be near the bottom of the graph with me, 10-12 AIs would be in the middle, and 3 or 4 would be way ahead. As you can see in the graph, I am WAY behind all 7 of my opponents! It looks like the Germans and Mongols are trying to break away from the pack of AIs. The Barbarians are far more aggressive than they were BS and the AIs are attacking me with full stacks of units! The Portuguese have repeatedly attacked Boston, which I have so far been barely able to hang on to. The Ethiopians have only danced around Philadelphia rather than attacking it, which has allowed me enough time to fortify it. Fortunately, I am not at war with the Mexicans, but I have worked hard on my diplomacy to keep them happy. BS, I would be strategizing an invasion of Portugal, but now I am only strategizing a way to survive! I am looking forward to continuing this game because I have no idea of what I should do next. I will need to develop a completely different strategy than what I did BS.

It’s been a long time since I’ve stayed up past 1:00 AM playing a computer game. Thanks Dale!
Old June 16, 2002, 21:14   #111
mnbryan37
Warlord

Local Time: 18:24
I too, have not experienced any more crash's since installing Martin's fix of the problem caused by pillaging of neutral tile improvements. Since the AI's are so much more active in V2.0, they pillage everything in sight.

Thanks Martin,

Bill
Old June 17, 2002, 02:42   #112
WarLoard
Settler

Local Time: 10:24
where is Martin's tile improvement fix?
Guys, where is Martin's tile improvement fix? I downloaded once from this thread, maybe on page 1 or 2, a file named "apol_slics.zip". at the end of file, there is a small block of code like this:

HandleEvent(CutImprovements)'MG_PillageImprovement ' pre {
if (CellOwner(location[0])==-1) {
return STOP;
}
}

Is this what we are talking about?

while, do we really need the whole slic script? because the upper part of the script looks like not to do with Apolyton pack 2.0, but WAW, will that cause any problem?

Thanks,
James
Old June 17, 2002, 03:22   #113
DeanToth
Chieftain

Peter, thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Triggs

I think playing with DebugSlic=Yes is a good idea.

My Updater code has been out since last July

...glancing at the file, it needs:
Code:
           player[0]=tmpArmy.owner;   //added 
because there's no player[0] being passed through the MoveOrder event.
So... is this the proper "fix" for this error? Should I add these lines of code somewhere? If so, where? (i am clueless about SLIC).

And just out of curiosity, what is your "updater code" you mention? Some sort of mod?

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Triggs
When I was playing... found myself thinking "Good grief, this would be difficult to program!" I wouldn't really know how to start doing something like this with SLIC because ... I can't see how you could use it to specify the general conditions under which you would want to launch an amphibious invasion rather than a land one. Clearly, if you're on an island you've got to use ships but there's bound to be tons of cases where you'd be better off going by sea rather than by land and it's this general situation that I can't really think of how to deal with.
As a non-SLIC coder but as an amateur student of AI and heuristics in general, I would think something like a multi-step conditional would be appropriate. For example:

1) the AI at some point decides to attack/take-over a city in the normal land-based game. What makes it decide this? Nearness? The size of the city?

After the "carrack" advance and the "catapult" advance has been achieved, this decision should be modified to included nearby overseas cities.

The conditional would be "I have decided to attack this overseas city. Do I have carracks with units onboard? If not, then:

Do I have 4 or more carracks?" If so, load units onto carrack; send carracks. If not, build carrack.

2) A difficulty in sustaining the AI's "interest" in the attack would be reached once some units are on the overseas landmass... How does the AI prevent itself from attacking the nearest city after just one or two units have made landfall? A nested conditional would ask: "OK, there is a city which meets my criteria for attack. Do I have at least two 12-stacks nearby?" If not, send carrack to "home land mass" and re-run the previous queries...

ARrrrggh.... this is getting to be too much for my late-night brain to think about... Not that I think it is impossible per se to come up with this code, but it would indeed be very difficult at the least. (plus I know next-to-nothing about SLIC coding).

I am currently kicking ass in a max-difficulty, max-barbarian game of australia-sized islands.. I have a monarchy with 20 cities each with population 20+ all of which are on a single island. The most I ever have to contend with is an infantryman or two every century... my two stacks of 12 catapults (my self-defense force) have been more than adequate to deal with this.

It looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and play with huge, non-oceanic continents to get the tough AI results that others here have mentioned... On the bright side, with Super Apolyton, I was dealing with very tough barbarians for a very long time... they kept swarming and keeping me down for a long time!!

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by DeanToth; June 17, 2002 at 03:42.
Old June 17, 2002, 13:27   #114
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Re: where is Martin's tile improvement fix?
Quote:
Originally posted by WarLoard
Guys, where is Martin's tile improvement fix? I downloaded once from this thread, maybe on page 1 or 2, a file named "apol_slics.zip". at the end of file, there is a small block of code like this:

HandleEvent(CutImprovements)'MG_PillageImprovement ' pre {
if (CellOwner(location[0])==-1) {
return STOP;
}
}

Is this what we are talking about?
Yes, CutImprovement is the event when a tile improvement is pillaged. Pre means the event handler fires before the event actual occurs. And if the owner of the location where the event occurs is player -1 (-1 means noone is the owner), then the code will just return STOP and the event is not executed to the end.

Quote:
Originally posted by WarLoard
while, do we really need the whole slic script? because the upper part of the script looks like not to do with Apolyton pack 2.0, but WAW, will that cause any problem?

Thanks,
James
The code above was originally written for WAW but Dale used it for APOL'Pack, maybe he needed to do some modificatios, but you see the result he just didn't replaced the WAW prefixes. In order to simply the instalation process I selected this file another reason was that the name of this slic file inicates that it contains some small slic for APOL'Pack, and indeed this code is small. So you need the whole file to overwrite the original file.

-Martin
Old June 18, 2002, 05:11   #115
Adriano
Chieftain

Man hours
Martin, Dale or anyone else modder:
I'm not an expert, only a player but:

It's clear that focal point is improve AI.

Could you estimate how many man hours do you need to deliver a better AI if you have quality target (i.e. sea attitude, or amphibious attack....)?

I would have an idea of the cost of project..............
Old June 18, 2002, 09:55   #116
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Adriano
Could you estimate how many man hours do you need to deliver a better AI if you have quality target (i.e. sea attitude, or amphibious attack....)?
What I can say definatly about this is that this requires more time then I have available currently. For example the last file I attached in this thread is not finished and I don't know when I will have the time to finish it, basically it should group the AI armies properly (this is finished) and it has to load transport ships with units (this is not finished). I estimate that I could finish it on a week end or two maybe in a week if I can work the whole day on it, but unfortunatly I have to do a lot of uni work right now.

-Martin
Old June 18, 2002, 18:10   #117
Peter Triggs
King

DeanToth,

Quote:
Should I add these lines of code somewhere? If so, where? (i am clueless about SLIC).
If you want you could open up APOL_airunits.slc, go to line 109, and insert the line "player[0]=tmpArmy.owner; " so that the handler looks like this:

Code:
	armycounter = 0;
	tmpArmy = army[0];
	armyloc = tmpArmy.location;
	tmploc3 = armyloc;
      player[0]=tmpArmy.owner; // <= the added line
		GetUnitFromCell(armyloc, i, tmpUnit);
		if(MM2_IsAir(tmpUnit.type)) {
			numcities = player[0].cities;
			GetCityByIndex(player[0], 0, tmpcity);
			tmploc = tmpcity.location;
But I have a very strong recollection that Dale mentioned something about bugs in this file (although I can't find it). Also, I notice that he didn't include it in his World at War mod and I know that he was working on an improved version of FrenzyAI which might supercede airunits.slc. He seems to be away at the moment, so until we hear from him perhaps the best thing to do is leave DebugSlic on 'No' for the time being.

Quote:
what is your "updater code" you mention? Some sort of mod?
It's a program that lets you update your old units when you discover advances that enable you to make more modern ones. You can see it in the Cradle and World at War mods.

Quote:
As a non-SLIC coder but as an amateur student of AI and heuristics in general, I would think something like a multi-step conditional would be appropriate. For example:

1) the AI at some point decides to attack/take-over a city in the normal land-based game. What makes it decide this? Nearness? The size of the city?
I, too, am an amateur AI student. I think that the name of the general technique that the AI is using for this is "Priority Based List Processing". Mr Owl (Steve Mariotti, the original lead programer) mentioned that the AI uses this technique and the data in the GOALS sections of the various strategies, e.g. from STRATEGY_SEIGE:

Code:
    GoalElement { Goal GOAL_DEFEND              Priority   607000  MaxEval   2  MaxExec   1 PerCity }
    GoalElement { Goal GOAL_SEIGE               Priority   605000  MaxEval  25  MaxExec   2 }
    GoalElement { Goal GOAL_HARASS_CITY         Priority   600000  MaxEval   3  MaxExec   1 }
    GoalElement { Goal GOAL_ATTACK              Priority   600000  MaxEval  25  MaxExec  10 }
    GoalElement { Goal GOAL_HARASS              Priority   595000  MaxEval  25  MaxExec  10 }
    GoalElement { Goal GOAL_BOMBARD             Priority   597000  MaxEval  25  MaxExec   4 }
certainly looks like a prioritized list. (It's these goals that determine what the AI does with it's units.) But I haven't been able to find out anything about how this general technique is applied to 4X games: run 'List Processing' through Google and you get lots of links to the programming language LISP.
Old June 20, 2002, 14:28   #118
Adriano
Chieftain

Bug detected
Hey Guys,
Although an alligator is present in a tile around my second city it isn't listed in the window of the trade goods route!

The strange thing is if i reload the game in the first turn it is present...but in the next turn it disappear again.........
Could you check in your game?
Old June 20, 2002, 15:21   #119
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Re: Bug detected
Quote:
Originally posted by Adriano
Hey Guys,
Although an alligator is present in a tile around my second city it isn't listed in the window of the trade goods route!

The strange thing is if i reload the game in the first turn it is present...but in the next turn it disappear again.........
Could you check in your game?
Possibly you use mayors and these mayors turn the only citizien into a speacialist. (If the city is founded in the last tun.) Another question is if the good is in the inner ring. If not than it shouldn't be available for trade. At least you have to assign one pop to the inner ring to collect this good.

-Martin
Old June 20, 2002, 23:33   #120
The Starfox
Settler

Ive run into a problem that I am not sure if it is a bug or not.

In an effort to boost production I lowered my military readiness from war to peace. The units health droped to 50% and savings in production rose accordinly. The problem came when I raised the readiness back up to war about 75 turns later. It has been 16 turns now and the units health remains unchanged. I am still being billed for the extra support cost from production however. Is something wrong here? I have a democracy right now, and was originally a democracy when I lowered it, so there was now chage in government.

I have the lastest version of apolyton from dales website. I never reduced readiness before so I dont know if it is acting the way it is suppose to. However I did do a clean install when I went to put in Super apolyton, so their shouldnt be any issues with the upgrading. Thanx