Old May 9, 2002, 08:56   #1
beierlw
Settler

Local Time: 19:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
diplomacy
I've been playing since the release and have the latest patch. Here are 2 questions I can't seem to find answers for:

1. I repeatedly (4 times) warn an AI to get out of my space and they don't. I have only a peace treaty with them. I finally attack them to get rid of them and eventually make peace. I now have a bad reputation for the remainder of the game. I was simply defending my borders...the intruding AI should get the bad rep. Am i not allowed to do this without consequence?

2. An AI offers to trade world maps. I attempt to get a bit more out of the deal and suggest my world map for his plus a couple of gold. Offer rejected. I revert back to the original deal the AI proposed and now that is refused and the AI becomes cautious (or the next level of relation below what we were at). Is this type of bartering detrimental to relations?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old May 9, 2002, 09:25   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 20:25
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
1. After your DOW, let the enemy attack you first... proffer up a damaged or outmoded unit, or a slave worker. Make sure to put the sacrificial lamb in a good kill zone. This approach a) saves your rep, and b) actually gives your population a happiness boost.

2. When reaching for a little bit more in trading, don't click on "Will you accept this offer?" If you overreach, you can piss off the AI civ. Instead, watch your advisor... he will tell you when the deal is acceptable.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 9, 2002, 10:11   #3
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Re: diplomacy
Quote:
Originally posted by beierlw

1. I repeatedly (4 times) warn an AI to get out of my space and they don't. I have only a peace treaty with them. I finally attack them to get rid of them and eventually make peace. I now have a bad reputation for the remainder of the game. I was simply defending my borders...the intruding AI should get the bad rep. Am i not allowed to do this without consequence?
I agree w/ you, but the real world does see things this way. For example, look how the world is reacting to Israel's response to the Palestinian suicide bombers.

Personally, I feel the instigator is to blame, unless true injustice is evident.

The recent pipe bomber in the midwest will probably have some group come out and plead for him because he was mistreated by society. Bah!
Old May 9, 2002, 10:27   #4
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 01:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I hate when the AI think it can walk on your national ground like if it's a kinder garden.
I would like that entering in the territory of another nation is saw as an act of war.
Or, less drastic, that after a unit has spent two or three turns on your territory, you have the right to attack and destroy it without triggering a war and without hit in reputation.
I would also like to have the option of showing a "growing impatience", and the AI becoming more cautious about border violations as I'm asking them to get out from my soil repeatadly.
Old May 9, 2002, 10:36   #5
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Akka le Vil
Or, less drastic, that after a unit has spent two or three turns on your territory, you have the right to attack and destroy it without triggering a war and without hit in reputation.
It should run the risk of starting a war. But not always.
Old May 9, 2002, 10:42   #6
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 00:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: diplomacy
Quote:
Originally posted by beierlw
Thing is, if you have any units inside an enemy border and they declare war, you get the bad rep. If they have units in your border and you declare war, you get the bad rep as well, It's not fair.

btw - in Call To Power II you could use your units to manually
expel foriegn units from your territiory without declaring war. But not in Civ3 - ah well...