Old May 9, 2002, 12:32   #1
bigvic
Prince

Local Time: 19:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do fast units retreat anymore?
Since 1.21 I can't think of a single incident where I've seen a fast unit retreat. Has anyone? Is this no longer the way it works? I think I've seen more great leaders than retreats from combat.

i like ibble blibble
Old May 9, 2002, 12:33   #2
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Now it's a percentage probablility, and not automatic. Do enough combats and you will witness it.
Old May 9, 2002, 12:52   #3
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 01:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Units still retreat, with the chances being better for vets and elites.

Rah what you doing here?
Old May 9, 2002, 12:57   #4
bigvic
Prince

Still can't remember seeing any. Playing Iroqois, whose monted warriors actually have a 3 move w/my mod, can't remember a single retreat. Is there any way to affect this in editor? Anyone privy to the actual math of the thing?

i like ibble blibble
Old May 9, 2002, 13:13   #5
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 20:25
They won't ever retreat if the defending unit is "fast". Have you jacked up the movement of the defenders in your mod, too?
Old May 9, 2002, 13:32   #6
bigvic
Prince

No, just made roads easier to build, increased movement of roads, but learned long ago that upping slow units' moves ruins retreat. Maybe I've just been inattentive, but still can't remember. Kind of bugs me, in that thats a big deal w/ fast units. This kind of takes away from that advantage. Thought it was just fine before.

i like ibble blibble
Old May 9, 2002, 13:32   #7
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 03:25
Ever since 1.17 unit retreat is chance-based. Editor has that customizeable for the Unit Experience tab.

Yes, I haven't seen units retreat as they would seem like to with their 50%, it seems less, but it works.
Old May 9, 2002, 13:42   #8
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

Local Time: 18:25
As i understood it, regs cant retreat from veterans or elites either, nor veterans from elites.
Old May 9, 2002, 13:57   #9
bigvic
Prince

Oh, is that it? Hmmm...... Wow, that kind of sucks. As far as I was concerned it wasn't really broken before they fixed it.

i like ibble blibble
Old May 9, 2002, 14:04   #10
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 20:25
Re: Do fast units retreat anymore?
Quote:
Originally posted by bigvic
Since 1.21 I can't think of a single incident where I've seen a fast unit retreat. Has anyone? Is this no longer the way it works? I think I've seen more great leaders than retreats from combat.
Quite often actually. My pathetic country was right in the middle of Rome, Babylon, and a Japanese city; the millenia of wars between them and the fact that they fought most of them in my territory allowed me to see their battles. It happened with Cavalry and the some of the appropriate modern era units.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Old May 9, 2002, 14:21   #11
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 00:25
What constitutes a 'fast' unit: anything with a movement of 2 or more?

I reckon they should go back to the way it was before - it gives these fast units more of an edge (as you would expect them to have)
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 9, 2002, 14:25   #12
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 01:25
2 move attackers are still very powerful, just not stupidly so like before. The only early defender I can think of that stops withdrawal is the impi. Perhaps Bigvic your editor changes have caused the anomaly?
Old May 9, 2002, 14:32   #13
Brizey
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

It was too easy before...
Just play the Aztecs, crank out JW's, beeline to mapmaking, build the light house, conquer the world. At least up to Regent or so. Egyptians were over-powered too. The makers should have remembered the multiplayer chariot swarms and put the fix in from the beginning. 50 Retreatable warrior-cost units is just overwhelming under the old rules, especially with the easier population rushing.
Old May 9, 2002, 14:35   #14
bigvic
Prince

Yeah, good question. My whole impetus when I first started modding was to allow more movement. Thats where I figured out that, yes, any unit w/ more than 1 movement is a fast unit. But, before the 1.21 mod, retreats worked just fine. Maybe I'm just not seeing it. Have played 1 full game under 1.21, have a couple of halfway finished going now. First was w/ the Babs, no real early war, don't remember any retreats late, though most war was slogging and pounding w/ infantry & artillery. Next game was Iroqois, still playing, but all my attacking units are fast, MW's and knights (in my mod, MW's don't upgrade til cavalry). Can't remember a retreat and have been at war almost since the beginning. Now Got Indians going, have so far avoided war, so no way to tell.

Maybe I've just been inattentive, playing too late at night and all.

i like ibble blibble
Old May 9, 2002, 14:37   #15
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

if yo're not happy with the withdraw percentages, you can change them in the editor. I can't remember what they are originally off the top of my head, but I have mine tweaked a little bit. moved elites up to 75% and vets to 66% withdraw
Old May 9, 2002, 14:42   #16
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

It's theoretically possible to put 100 percent for all and undo the change, but that is unbalancing.
Old May 9, 2002, 14:44   #17
bigvic
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
if yo're not happy with the withdraw percentages, you can change them in the editor. I can't remember what they are originally off the top of my head, but I have mine tweaked a little bit. moved elites up to 75% and vets to 66% withdraw
Oh that IS in the editor? Cool. I'll have to check that out. Thanks. Under units?

i like ibble blibble
Old May 9, 2002, 14:47   #18
Solver
lifer
Deity

Under Experience levels, for this is experience dependant.
Old May 9, 2002, 19:39   #19
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by bigvic
Still can't remember seeing any. Playing Iroqois, whose monted warriors actually have a 3 move w/my mod, can't remember a single retreat. Is there any way to affect this in editor? Anyone privy to the actual math of the thing?
Are you attacking or defending with the MW.

If you are attacking, they don't retreat back a square, they just break off combat and stay in the same square. If defending they will retreat one square.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 9, 2002, 22:45   #20
simwiz2
Warlord

Something simliar happened to me:

At first when I modded, I was hesitant to overwrite the civ3mod, so I made it a scenario. but the scenario bic's dont change with the patches like the civ3mod does. I first realised this when my mod still had +1 food for game, which got increased to 2 in a patch but it did not apply to the scenario. Same thing with retreat bonus. In a scenario, they all default to 0. So no retreats. And then I decided, right after 1.21, that overwriting the civ3mod would save me time, and I didnt want the original rules anyway. So the 0-retreat got saved over the civ3mod. But since then I have decided it is better this way, as fast attackers still have the advantage of greater movement.

So could something like this have happened to your civ3mod? Because the only reason this should be happening is if retreat is set to 0.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old May 9, 2002, 23:33   #21
Redstar
Warlord

Local Time: 00:25
if the unit has a movement point left to escape with..it will.

I can only think of 2 times when one of my tanks failed to escape when i expected it to.

And i have done zillions of new patch attacks now.

so that may be coupled with the elite thing..i'm not sure as all my units are always superior to the defenders (usually because the defenders have already been weakened by artillery or bombers.)

/...just my cent and a halfs worth )
Old May 9, 2002, 23:52   #22
Coracle
Prince

Yes, they still retreat with 1.21. Just saw some impis do it.

How often compared to 1.17 I'm not sure.
Old May 10, 2002, 00:22   #23
bigvic
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by simwiz2
Something simliar happened to me:

At first when I modded, I was hesitant to overwrite the civ3mod, so I made it a scenario. but the scenario bic's dont change with the patches like the civ3mod does. I first realised this when my mod still had +1 food for game, which got increased to 2 in a patch but it did not apply to the scenario. Same thing with retreat bonus. In a scenario, they all default to 0. So no retreats. And then I decided, right after 1.21, that overwriting the civ3mod would save me time, and I didnt want the original rules anyway. So the 0-retreat got saved over the civ3mod. But since then I have decided it is better this way, as fast attackers still have the advantage of greater movement.

So could something like this have happened to your civ3mod? Because the only reason this should be happening is if retreat is set to 0.
Thanks, to you and everyone else. About to go monkey around in scenario editor after i check around the forum.

i like ibble blibble
Old May 10, 2002, 09:54   #24
Spatzimaus
Chieftain

Yeah, I had the same thing happen. Playing a custom mod, when I patched to 1.21f it defaulted all of those percentages to 0 instead of 34/50/58/66, so no mounted units retreated. Of course, I didn't realize this until my Riders got ripped apart. So, I had to go back through every .bic file I had and change the things altered in the patch. Kinda painful.

And in my mod, I added 1 commerce to Game (making them 1 food 1 commerce), so I didn't want to upgrade to 2 food when they patched.