Old May 9, 2002, 19:43   #1
cbraund
Prince

Local Time: 00:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Patriots and Tyrants(Dangerous Games III)
The Dangerous Games Pentology

Dangerous Games

To Die For (Dangerous Games II)

Patriots and Tyrants (Dangerous Games III)

Organised Chaos (Dangerous Games IV)

Illusions of Victory (Dangerous Games V)

Hope you enjoy(ed) reading these stories!

Chris AKA Nemesis

This is just a short paragraph to begin DG3. I will write more tomorrow night.

Spartacus crumpled up the note, and comforted the sobbing Jennifer. He passed it to Justin.

"Resign as King or your son dies." Justin read. Then he saw the look on Spartacus's face. "Holy cr*p, you can't be thinking of actually resigning!"

"If I have to, I will." Spartacus ignored his protest. "Don't worry love, we'll get him back."

Jennifer kept on crying.

"Sir, they won't give him back even if you resign!" Justin protested. Then he noticed the signature on the back of the note.

"Recognise this?" he asked Spartacus.

"Yes, it's Alexander's signature... Oh my God! It couldn't be him! I killed him with my own sword!" Spartacus's mind raced.

"I'm more worried how this note got here. I think it may be time to haul Peter in for questioning, I've been a bit suspicious of him ever since he shot Duke Francis."

Spartacus nodded his approval. He would do anything to get his son back.

"How is Alexander still alive? Come on, we now have a phone call from you to him on your mobile. Yes, mobiles can now be tapped too! Another Hoplite advance I didn't let you in on!" Justin growled at Peter.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Peter stared into space, determined not to break. But he had heard of the interrogation techniques that the Hoplites used, and had seen some of them. And when the heir to the throne was in danger, any human rights laws went out the window.

Justin nodded to the guard. He jabbed Peter in the stomach three times.

Justin tried many different torture methods, but none worked. So he resorted to chemicals that would reduce Peter's mental defences.

"Now, how is Alexander still alive?" he asked again.

"He isn't."

"Then why do you keep on referring to the person on the phone as My Prince?"

"Because he is a Prince. Just not of this nation."

"Then of which nation?"

"Germany."

Just a little teaser

Comments appreciated, more to come tomorrow.

Chris AKA Nemesis

Last edited by cbraund; January 15, 2003 at 15:47.
Old May 9, 2002, 22:52   #2
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 19:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
DA*NIT NOW I'M PUMPED
Old May 10, 2002, 11:55   #3
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:27
great! How many DG's will there be?

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 10, 2002, 12:23   #4
cbraund
Prince

This will be the last, then I'll move onto something else.

Nemesis
Old May 12, 2002, 18:15   #5
cbraund
Prince

"Spartacus is getting on for 50 now. He's getting too old for all of this. His son is 17, and Greece's only hope for a good leader when Spartacus dies. Simply put, Greece will be destroyed by this." Prince Wilhelm stated. He was nearly 40 himself.

"He's only 48. Don't underestimate him." His elderly father, King Bismarck, warned his heir.

"It matters not what he can do. He loses his son anyway. And now I must be going to this UN Meeting."

"Good luck son. Remember to tell Spartacus of Germany's sympathy for him in his troubled times."

Wilhelm was waiting along with the other leaders for Spartacus's arrival.

The leaders of the world were exchanging gossip about Spartacus and his son's disappearance, but he declined to join in.

Then the door burst open, and Spartacus charged in.

"My dear friend, please warn us if you are going to be this late!" Tony Blair welcomed him.

Then he went silent. Spartacus didn't have a happy look on his face. Rather a cold, murderous stare at Wilhelm, who was looking decidedly uncomfortable.

"Something wrong, mate?" George Bush asked. Spartacus ignored him, continuing to stare at Wilhelm, who was looking very nervous and motioning for his guards to come closer.

He stood, and walked to shake hands with Spartacus, hoping to look innocent. How had he discovered the truth? he was asking himself. Must be that damned Governor of Sofia. He was too weak to last long under Hoplite interrogation.

"My dear Spartacus." Wilhelm extended his hand to the King of Greece.

Spartacus grabbed Wilhelm's collar, and propelled him against a wall.

"Don't 'my dear Spartacus' me, you German son of a b*tch!" Spartacus shouted. Wilhelm may have been younger, but he was no match for the athletic King.

"What has gotten into you, Spartacus?!" Wilhelm tried to play innocent once more.

"Spartacus! Let him..." George Bush attempted to take control of the situation, until he saw the murderous look on Spartacus's face. Even the President of America didn't want to anger that man.

Wilhelm's guards moved to help him. One was sent flying, punched by Justin. Another went for Spartacus, and received a kick in the groin for his troubles. He sank to the floor, gasping. Spartacus preferred boots with steel toecaps, and the guard was afraid he wouldn't be fathering any more children.

Tony Blair read the look in Spartacus's eyes easily. He knew the look, it was the anger of a father.

"This is to do with Prince Nicholas, isn't it?" he asked quietly.

"Yes, this German motherf*cker has taken him hostage!"

"Is this true?!" George Bush spoke again, this time angry.

"I don't know what he's talking about. Now get him off me before he kills me!"

"I'd kill you too if it were my son." Tony Blair snapped.

"Get your hands off me you oaf! This is an act of war against Germany! Our mighty army will crush you!"

"Bring it on." Spartacus scowled, then threw Wilhelm onto the table. He hurriedly got off, and marched out of the room, determined not to be humiliated anymore.

"You have our full support in this matter." George Bush and Tony Blair spoke in unison. The other world leaders were still too stunned. The Russian leader looked on happily. He didn't owe Greece anything but misery.

"I have no need for support. This is between Germany and Greece. It is a matter of honour."

Just another small addition, as I feel like cr*p tonight, but knew I had to begin updating this one.

Hope you liked this little encounter, comments are appreciated, including "GO SPARTACUS! KICK GERMAN BUTT!"

Oh, and if you don't like the bad language, f*ck you!

Nemesis
Old May 12, 2002, 18:33   #6
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

I see spartacus graduated from Reverse Nazi scaretactics tech.
Old May 13, 2002, 19:48   #7
cbraund
Prince

The Governor of Sofia brushed the shoulders of his uniform again, determined to look at his best to greet the King.

The huge doors opened, and in marched Spartacus.

"My King! What an honour it is to welcome you to my humble abode!" the Governor stepped towards Spartacus.

It was a wrong move, he saw as soon as he did it that Spartacus's anger could no longer be hidden.

"This is a matter of honour, Governor. You helped the Germans take my child. Thus you are a traitor, and the punishment for that is death. However, I am willing to be kind. You may die in a duel with your King." Spartacus growled.

The Governor looked pale and shocked. How could he have known?! And what kind of fool was Spartacus? He was a mere warrior, whereas the Governor had been fencing for years.

"If you like." the Governor couldn't contain his excitement at the idea, but had to lest Justin end his life with one shot. He was determined to kill Spartacus, and with Nicholas gone, claim the throne.

He drew his sword, and Spartacus drew his.

The two clashed a second later, the Governor eager to begin.

Spartacus dodged a thrust, and then made a thrust of his own, which the traitor parried. He then had to parry a return thrust, and then they grappled.

They split apart, and continued the duel, with the Governor dodging Spartacus's latest parry. He thrust forward, gashing the King's cheek.

"You've shown me how posh little w*nkers play at war, now let me show you how soldiers do." Spartacus said angrily, then launched himself at the Governor.

The traitor parried the thrust, but failed to see Spartacus's foot connecting with his knee.

He fell to one knee, and tried to thrust at Spartacus.

The King parried, then kicked the Governor of Sofia in the face.

He collapsed backwards in a shower of blood, feeling his nose break. His sword clattered from his hand, and he reached for it once more.

But found Spartacus's foot on his arm.

"Traitor." Spartacus hissed as he thrust the sword into the Governor's heart.

"Sir, as expected the two Sofia regiments are heading to Athens to try and kill you in revenge for their Governor."

"Did you tell them that he was a traitor?"

"Yes, but you know that they're more loyal to him than they are to the nation." the Defence Minister sighed.

"Then they are better off dead. Prepare the Royal Guard regiments, I'm determined I will destroy this threat myself."

"Sir." the Minister nodded his approval.

"And what of the Hoplite mission to rescue the Prince?"

"It should be happening about now."

Nicholas sat in the cell, hungry and cold.

His captors had tried to gain information from him about his father, anything that could help them, or they would kill him, they said.

He had spat in their faces, and told them to do their worst.

And they had. He felt the rib tenderly which he was sure was broken, and planned his revenge.

Then he heard gunshots, and saw flashbangs.

The Hoplites!

He hid under his bed. He knew his cell was on the ground floor, where the Hoplites would be entering, and so the guards would probably try and move him upstairs.

There it was. The sound of a key in the lock.

Two guards walked in, obviously in a hurry to get him moving.

He heard their the safety catches being taken off their guns as they realised he wasn't there.

Then he dove out, grabbing one man around the neck. He pulled upwards, the years training with his father to gain strength paying off as he heard the satisfying sound of the guard's neck snapping.

The second guard was turning, and hit him with the rifle butt.

Seeing the Hoplites getting nearer, the guard decided to cause Greece the last grief he could, by killing the heir. He turned his gun towards Nicholas.

Nicholas closed his eyes and waited for the gunshot. He heard it, but didn't feel pain.

He slowly opened his eyes to see the guard dead on the floor with his comrade, and Justin Daniels standing over him.

"Alright kid." Justin grinned.

"Never been better." Nicholas winced as he stood up, the bruises hurting more than ever.

"We're here to take you home." Justin helped him towards the door.

"Really? I thought we would be staying for a party." Nicholas smiled weakly.

"Sarcasm never suited you kid. Now shut it and get moving." Justin was Nicholas's godfather, and rarely spoke formally to him.

For once, Nicholas was glad to see the back of the action.

"The Prince is safe." the Defence Minister smiled. "They're on their way home by helicopter. Oh crap!"

"What?!"

"German fighters have been scrambled to intercept!"

More to come tomorrow. Comments appreciated.

Yawn! I'm tired, night night!

Nemesis
Old May 13, 2002, 22:40   #8
Metaliturtle
staff
King

DUDE THAT WAS AWESOME, the swordfight, and the sneaky prison break neck-snappin arse kicking, MAN, this has WINNER stamped on it IMVVVHO
Old May 14, 2002, 03:19   #9
cbraund
Prince

You're drunk

Nemesis
Old May 14, 2002, 06:47   #10
Metaliturtle
staff
King

so what I'm n()t as drink as thinkle peep I am......(hic)
Old May 14, 2002, 11:40   #11
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

prison escapes are also good...this would make a good movie

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old May 15, 2002, 12:19   #12
cbraund
Prince

The Greek F-15s, produced now at Sparta under contract from America, were almost invisible as they tore through the air at top speed.

They were on their way to the German border, for a mission they knew nothing about.

All of the world knew that Spartacus and Wilhelm had a fight at the UN Council, and knew it had led to war. Most of the media were saying it was to do with Nicholas being taken hostage, but no one had any evidence to support it.

Finally a radio call came through.

"This is your King speaking. The rumours are true, we are at war with Germany because they had Nicholas. Now the Hoplites have released him, and he is heading home by Apache helicopter. But the Germans will not give up so easily, they have sent half their air force after him, a force which outnumbers our air power.

"So I must beg you to bring my son home safely, despite the inferior numbers, I know you have the bravery and the skill to beat the Germans. I am sorry to have to ask you to risk your lives for my son, but when you signed up you swore an oath to God, King and Country.

"Well now your King needs you. Spartacus out."

The pilots looked at each other through their canopies. Without speaking, they all repeated their vows in their heads and swore to do anything to keep the Prince alive.

"It was different with the Russians. They were technologically inferior to us. Germany is almost on our level, and exceeds us in numbers." Spartacus mumbled to himself. As he got older, he found he was more and more deliberating things out loud, a dangerous attribute for a ruler, but he was careful not to do it infront of those who might wish him ill.

"Sir, I think we should make peace with the Germans after Nicholas is rescued, for the good of our nation."

"What?! They kidnap the heir and we ask for peace?! That is more than a stain on our honour, that is asking for it to happen again! We have to teach them a lesson they'll never forget!" Spartacus roared.

"Sir." the Defence Minister answered meekly.

More to come later tonight. Comments appreciated!

Nemesis
Old May 15, 2002, 12:30   #13
civman2000
Emperor

spartacus will ruin greece at this rate...

Old May 15, 2002, 18:31   #14
Metaliturtle
staff
King

Or he could be setting Greece up for a really *****in war
Old May 15, 2002, 18:32   #15
cbraund
Prince

He might... Wait and see!

The air battle raged behind Nicholas's helicopter, the Greeks firing all their missiles, then suicidally ramming German planes to prevent them reaching the Prince.

Finally, the helicopter landed on the helipad on the roof of the Palace.

The Greek Air Force had bought Nicholas the time he needed, but at an appalling price. Only a quarter of their F-15s returned home, but they had destroyed the German air power that had come after the Prince.

But Germany still had more aircraft and pilots, but Greece was now short on both.

Then came the invasion.

"25 German regiments on left flank, 25 on the right, and 50 down the middle. It's a text-book assault." Justin, now safely back, had taken up his usual role of advisor once more.

"Well they come at us in the same old way, and we'll beat them the same old way." Spartacus smiled, but not with his usual confidence. He felt a pain in his chest, but ignored it.

"Duke of Wellington." Justin nodded, remembering the quote.

"What kind of b*stard is Wilhelm?" Spartacus asked, changing the subject. He rubbed his chest, not realising it.

"I think the term is tyrant, if you think of him like Alexander. But if you're a German, he's a patriot to you. That's what leaders are, enemies see them as tyrants, their own people see them as patriots."

"Patriots and tyrants." Spartacus muttered. "Hardly any difference really."

Justin looked at his watch. "It's time to go, the rebels are only a few hours away."

"Okay, let's go kill the rebellious scum." Spartacus growled.

Captain Pete Hawkins was devoutly loyal to the Governor of Sofia, but was unsure of the steps the regiments of Sofia had taken, rebelling against their true king because he had killed a traitor.

He shook the feeling of dread away, and concentrated on the fighting. Infantry and tanks were roaming the battlefield, a National Park outside Athens. He spotted Hoplites, and the Major in charge of his battalion began to lead the unit after them.

He saw the man feared and admired by millions, Spartacus the Great. Pete glanced over and saw that the Hoplites were moving away from the King, moving to intercept a bigger threat, a tank company coming to try and kill the King.

The Major charged forward, and his troops followed. They overwhelmed the few Hoplites still defending the King, and the Major pointed a pistol at the King's head.

Pete realised that the feeling of dread was because he knew what he was doing was wrong.

"Don't!" he yelled at the Major, who turned in amazement.

Spartacus lunged, drawing a knife from his boots. The knife sank into the neck of the Major, and killing him instantly.

The tanks were being dealt with by Royal Guard tanks now, so the Hoplites were returning, and beginning to throw back the infantry battalion.

Pete saw people staring at him accusingly, then one point a gun at him.

"Traitor." the soldiers hissed in unison as the bullet put an end to Pete's life.

Spartacus knelt beside the man who had shouted, spoke: "Thank you."

Justin nodded in silent respect at the body, and they carried on to complete the destruction of the rebels, who were now fleeing back to Sofia.

Now Spartacus led his troops north to intercept the German attack, which had already made significant gains.

They reached a Tirana, a city Spartacus remembered as being the last one to hold out against Charles, and as the one which had immediately sworn fealty to him when he had made his comeback.

Now this historical city was to be the scene of the battle which would decide the fate of Greece.

That's all for tonight! Comments appreciated!

Nemesis
Old May 16, 2002, 11:44   #16
civman2000
Emperor

great! Good to see people are still writing even the the NES seems to be dominating!

Old May 18, 2002, 09:05   #17
cbraund
Prince

Spartacus trudged along at the head of his troops. They were retreating from Tirana, with it now in German hands. Soon they would be entering the historic boundaries of Greece, and Greece would be in German hands.

The Greek Air Force no longer existed, having taken the final blow at this battle, but taking even more German craft with them. Now Germany had air superiority over Greece.

At sea the battle had gone better, but ships couldn't prevent an army capturing Athens.

Spartaucs kicked a stone away in despair and anguish. Not even the thought of seeing his family again could cheer him up.

Wilhelm marched boldly into the chamber.

"Father, we have won a crushing victory over the Greeks! It is now nothing more than a victory parade from here to Athens! We have air superiority to bomb Greece senseless!" Wilhelm crowed.

"Never underestimate the enemy!" Bismarck growled, his arthritis playing up again.

"He underestimated us." Wilhelm stated. "And now he is to pay the price."

The German bombers targeted the Spartan Military Works, knowing that the amount of ammunition there would turn Sparta into a fireball.

But Wilhelm had ordered it destroyed, saying he didn't care how many died, but Greece's premier weapons manufacturer must be destroyed to stop those "damned Spartans" holding out to the last.

The bombs were dropped, and they hit the ammunition storage areas as well as the factory. The explosion engulfed Sparta.

Spartacus looked around the city of his birth, anguish on his face.

"The b*stards will pay for this!" he vowed. Most of the million people who lived in Sparta were dead, and the city had almost been wiped from the map.

"Sir, I know I shouldn't encourage you, but we have finished a weapon which could end the war and pay Germany back for this." Justin told Spartacus the news he had just heard from the Hoplite scientists, but was worried about the cost of German lives it would cause. But he saw the devastated city before him, and knew that the Germans could never be allowed to rule Greece.

"Oh? The Manhattan Project is complete then?" Spartacus spoke with interest. The Manhattan Project had been so named for the American city where a British scientist had first split the atom.[I know that it wasn't really split in Manhattan, but needed a link to the name!].

"Yes sir. You now have a weapon you may call the atomic bomb."

"Then let us bring Germany to her knees." Spartacus ordered, glancing once more at his home city before turning away and heading back towards the limo.

For over three million Germans living in Berlin, the morning never came, as the bomb was dropped while they were asleep.

The world immediately condemned Greece for using atomic weapons, but no one tried to stop them, knowing that Greece was fighting for its life.

Blair and Bush especially knew that Germany had it coming to them, although they despised the fact innocents had to die because of power games between rulers.

Wilhelm surveyed the scene, not knowing how closely it resembled the destruction at Sparta.

"Sir, we must make peace with Greece. We cannot fight a country that has this kind of weapon!" the Defence Minister whined, taking Wilhelm's mind off of his father's death.

"I know." he said wearily, all pretense of being superior to Greece gone. "Send a message to Spartacus offering an immediate cease-fire, and asking for peace talks to be held in Athens."

"Very good sir." a relieved Defence Minister acknowledged the orders.

"And finally, send the entire KaiserSturm regiment to assassinate Spartacus. He will pay for killing my father." the KaiserSturm was a regiment based on the British SAS, or the Greek Hoplites, raised by Wilhelm himself.

"Yes sir." the Defence Minister knew better than to argue.

Spartacus was out for a walk in the forest, a habit he liked to do often to clear his mind and think things through carefully. It was a day before the peace talks, which should be favourable due to Greece's atomic bomb.

Spartacus hated himself for having to drop the bomb, and for having to have war inflicted so much on the Spartans. Why hadn't he just ended it when Nicholas was rescued?

He realised the answer was because he was too proud, and a warrior at heart. He didn't know how to be diplomatic.

He sighed, knowing that the war had cost Greece dearly.

Then there was a rustle up ahead, and one man from the Hoplite company guarding Spartacus fell.

Justin grabbed Spartacus, and whispered orders to two of his men. They began to quickly lead Spartacus away, back towards the Palace.

Justin unslung the machine gun, and began to hose the bushes infront of him. The rest of the company began to do the same, slowly advancing.

"KaiserSturm!" one whispered loudly to Justin as he saw the insignia on a man infront of them. Justin killed him quickly with a short burst of fire.

They were so intent on the battalion infront of them, they never saw the two that were encircling them.

More to come tomorrow! Possibly tonight if I'm feeling good !

Comments appreciated!

Nemesis
Old May 18, 2002, 09:10   #18
civman2000
Emperor

hmmm...not a complete historical analogy, but spartacus reminds me of napoleon...

Old May 18, 2002, 12:44   #19
Metaliturtle
staff
King

This is extremely good, probably your best in my opinion cbraund
Old May 18, 2002, 23:21   #20
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:27

This has gotten much better than the already good previous DG stories. The first had too many assassinations.
Old May 19, 2002, 02:04   #21
Metaliturtle
staff
King

Jag, post your story so that I can put u on the storywriter's role
Old May 19, 2002, 09:54   #22
cbraund
Prince

Justin ducked again, after letting of yet another burst of machine gun fire. His company was almost destroyed, but they had taken one battalion of the KaiserSturm with them.

He flinched as a bullet hit the tree that he was behind. He didn't see the Colonel behind him until the last second.

The Colonel of the KaiserSturm was an old-fashioned man who preferred a sword and pistol combination to a M16. He swung the sword down, and Justin only just reacted in time to stop his head being separated from his body by the blow. It hit his weapon, and sent it flying across the dirt.

The Colonel raised his sword once more after kicking Justin in the head. Justin felt a bullet rip into his chest from another KaiserSturm trooper.

He closed his eyes and waited for his death to come, knowing that the King at least was safe.

Then the Colonel sliced his sword towards Justin.

Justin heard the clang of metal on metal, and opened his eyes.

"You! You're supposed to be safe you dumb b*stard!" Justin yelled in frustration and in some amusement.

It was Spartacus, his sword drawn and holding a pistol. He preferred to fight that way too.

The Colonel thrust at Spartacus, sensing that he might finally be able to complete his mission and get revenge for the killing of his King.

He dodged Spartacus's return thrust, and knocked the pistol from Spartacus's hand. He then used his sword to push Spartacus's sword away from him, and pointed the pistol at the head of the King of Greece.

Then he was sent sprawling by a kick from Justin, who was now back on his feet. Justin grabbed Spartacus's fallen PPK and aimed it at the head of the Colonel.

The Colonel just had time to reflect on the fact that he was now going to see his King before the bullet entered his brain.

Nicholas had rounded up all the Hoplites he could find in the Palace, which amounted to a company and a half's worth. He used his authority as heir to steal a transport aircraft from the nearby airport, knowing a plane was faster than a helicopter.

The plane started, and they began to take off, each Hoplite and Nicholas making sure that they had the special low-level insertion parachute on. It was one of the latest Hoplite designs.

Nicholas checked the strap, and realised he had only ever performed one low-level parachute jump, whereas all of these had done it at least three times.

Oh well, so long as no one tells me to break a leg, he thought.

"Break a leg, sir." one Hoplite smiled, as Nicholas didn't realise he'd said it out loud.

"Thanks." Nicholas sighed.

Spartacus and Justin were fighting for their lives, surrounded by enemies. Every other Hoplite, including the two who had escorted the King were now dead.

Justin saw a machine gun pointed at Spartacus, and ever mindful of his duty to protect the King, jumped in it's way.

The bullets ripped into Justin, tearing flesh and damaging bones.

He fell to the floor infront of Spartacus, and delivered one last burst of fire from his gun, killing the would-be assassin.

Spartacus realised he was now alone, and that the enemy would give no mercy.

He charged, determined to take as many as he could with him.

Nicholas jumped from the plane along with the others. He was terrified, not being used to these like the others, and knowing it was a combat drop against an elite unit.

The technique for using these chutes was to go as near to the ground as possible, then pull the chord so the chute would slow you down considerably, and then unfasten the backpack and drop to the ground, leaving the backpack and parachute in the air to land softly.

The danger was if you dropped from too high you could break your legs, and if you pulled the chord too late you would plummet into the ground at great speed. Only the Greek Hoplites had ever tried it, having the new chute which helped that type of landing.

Nicholas pulled on his chute when he thought the time was write, and then unfastened it.

He fell to the ground, and landed like a cat. He sighed with relief, unslung his gun from his shoulder and went hunting KaiserSturm with the rest of the Hoplites.

Spartacus looked up to see the muzzles of the KaiserSturm's guns pointing at him.

He had been out cold for a few seconds, having tripped and fell during his charge.

Some heroics, he reflected, finding his abysmal charge amusing.

He saw the KaiserSturm troops tighten their grips on the triggers, each determined to get revenge for their King and their Colonel.

Just as they were about to fire, bullets ripped through some of them. The others opened fire, determined to kill Spartacus, but he kicked at the ankles some of them, making them fall, and rolled out of the way of the hail of bullets.

But he felt searing heat near his ear, and fell back into his sleep.

Nicholas charged over to where his father had been. The KaiserSturm were on the run, with over three quarters of them dead and the others now fleeing for their lives. The Hoplites were chasing them, determined to kill the last of the people who had shot the King.

Nicholas saw his father, led on the floor, his eyes closed and blood in his hair.

"Dad!" Nicholas cried, slipping back into the name he had used for his father as a child.

"Huh?" Spartacus groaned, feeling where he the bullet had creased his head and had knocked him out again.

"Dad!" Nicholas smiled.

"Where's Justin?" Spartacus asked, getting up slowly.

They both looked over to Justin's body, hoping he would get up as Spartacus had.

He stayed still.

Spartacus and Nicholas walked behind the coffin, each deep in their own thoughts. They were on their way to the Royal Palace, the procession having started from Sparta, the place of Justin's birth. The procession had been driven, but when they entered Athens, the two Royals began to walk behind the coffin, which was then mounted onto a gun carriage.

Spartacus wore the dark green uniform of the Prince's Guard, and wore the simple but effective crown of Greece upon his head. Nicholas wore the black uniform of the Hoplites, and the rank of Director on his sleeve, having been voted Director by the Hoplites, which was a kind of democracy when it came to electing a leader. He also wore the crown of the heir on his head.

They came to a stop outside the Palace, where Justin was to be buried alongside the rulers of Greece since ancient times, including Phillip and Alexander. It was a mark of respect for a man who had given his life to defend the King.

Spartacus was in tears as the coffin was lowered into the ground, realising he had lost yet another friend. He ignored the pain in his chest, thinking it was just aching for the loss of another person close to him.

Spartacus glared with hate at the back of Wilhelm as he boarded his private jet back to Germany.

The peace talks had given Greece back all of their land, and the Germans had admitted being in the wrong. But the peace treaty couldn't bring Justin back, Spartacus thought angrily. And it couldn't bring back Sparta or Berlin.

He saw the smile on Nicholas's face, and clicked instantly.

"You ordered him assassinated, didn't you?" Spartacus asked, grinning.

"Me? I wouldn't dream of killing the b*stard!" Nicholas laughed. "But I wouldn't be surprised if his jet is taken over by a crazy Austrian angry at Germany's occupation, and crashes the plane into the floor."

"There isn't a man on earth who deserves it more." Spartacus smiled, knowing his son was a chip off the old block.

"He's dead!" Nicholas yelled happily, charging into his father's study.

There was no reply from the chair.

He rushed over, and found Spartacus finding it hard to breathe, and holding his chest.

"Dad?" he screamed, unable to comprehend that he couldn't save his father this time.

"Nicholas?" Spartacus asked, panting. "My son! You will make a fine ruler."

"Dad? No, don't die, I love you! Don't leave me, I'm too young to rule! Mother!" Nicholas yelled for the Queen.

Jennifer burst in, and saw the scene that she had been terrified of seeing for her entire married life.

"You're going to a better place, dear," she said calmly, "and I want you to know you made me the happiest woman on earth."

"And you will always be remembered." Nicholas spoke quietly.

"Goodbye." Spartacus gasped, and upon hearing the replied farewells, went limp in his son's arms.

The King of Greece was dead.

That's all folks! Comments appreciated!

Chris AKA Nemesis
Old May 19, 2002, 18:14   #23
cbraund
Prince

This is the last Dangerous Games story, so anyone who hated Spartacus can breathe a sigh of relief, he's really dead this time!

Chris
Old May 19, 2002, 18:21   #24
civman2000
Emperor

thrilling ending! And he gets to die a peaceful death! Hmmm, how inappropriate, he should finally be punished for all of his (imho) stupidity

Old May 19, 2002, 18:26   #25
cbraund
Prince

He was an honourable warrior in a modern world where there are very few

He died peacefully because he was too powerful to be killed by combat(at least in my opinion!), and someone killing Spartacus would have put Nicholas in a killer mood.

Anyway, if this wins the story contest after the one which DGII is in, I will post a small ending paragraph, where Nicholas is King, just saying what eventually happened in the world, post-Spartacus.

By the way, that isn't a bribe like some people offer *cough*metaliturtle*cough*

Nemesis
Old May 19, 2002, 20:34   #26
Metaliturtle
staff
King

BTW it wasn't a bribe, it was an "added incentive"
Old May 21, 2002, 12:50   #27
civman2000
Emperor

bump

Old May 24, 2002, 10:15   #28
cbraund
Prince

BUMP!!

Nemesis
Old June 1, 2002, 11:20   #29
cbraund
Prince

BUMP! Remember if this wins, I'll write the epilogue

Nemesis
Old June 3, 2002, 00:35   #30
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 16:27
that was wickedawesome! It had a little too much assasinating stuff in it though. Though I don't think anybody else would agree with me, but I don't like anything in stories that can't be explained in a Civ 3 game. It's cool to go away from the game a lot but when you have something in a story that's unexplainable in the game, it's harder to like. With that said, that was so cool!!!It was the best story I've read since maybe UN Poker.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau