Old May 10, 2002, 17:00   #1
SKYDIGI.20M.COM
Settler

Local Time: 00:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Tribes
Which is the best tribe to star off with and which is the worst tribe can anybody help. as many veiw as u like please
Old May 10, 2002, 17:11   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I like to play the Germans, just cause Germany is cool, and also the Russians every now and then (when I play on a real map). Basically it's just your preference though... though industrial and commercial civs can be very useful later on once you have large cities.
Old May 10, 2002, 17:50   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 00:29
I can definitely reccomend anyone that is industrious. SOOOO much time save, and in civ3, time is money.... With the UU's (unique units) think about WHEN you want to get an edge over the AI. If you like to build for 4000 years before going to war, then any civ with an ancient age UU is pretty much "out of the tree" so to say. The game is mostly fairly balenced so there isn't one best civ that always wins, but picking the wrong civ for the job can make your life harder (or just not make it easier, which is the same thing)

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 10, 2002, 18:15   #4
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 19:29
Well, I hate to say it, but I like the French... they may be pink, and their UU may suck, but religious/industrious IMO is the best combo there is. Besides, the UU of any civ isn't a whole lot better than the unit itself... I can't tell the difference between fighting off elephants, samurai, or riders... they're basically just hyped-up knights to me.
Old May 10, 2002, 18:31   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I like the Iriquois.

Why? The religious trait is IMHO the best ability. Anarchy lasts one turn during a revolution and each turn is so important in this game, especially if you're in democracy at war, don't want it to collapse in the midst of a war and wait 4 or 6 turns to install a republic.

The second trait, expansionist is of limited value, it depends on the map type you play. I play huge pangaes so there is a lot of room for my scouts to scour the land, to find other civs early and find luxuries to plant cities on. Also since they only get good things from goody huts, I usually just hit the "E" key and they explore automatically finding many techs and gold and occassionally the new settler. the techs are hugely important, sometimes I can find almost all of the ancient techs, getting quite a boost.

Finally, I love the Irq's UU, the mounted warrior. Great early attack unit, comes instead of horsemen, 3/1/2-works well until the middle age pikemen, where they can upgrade to knights when needed. I try to use the MWs to take out a civ or two nearby to secure more land early in the game. Plus The early Golden age, pumping out Mw's from maybe 10-15 cities is helpful as that early edge can catapult you to the lead where you will remain the rest of the game.
Old May 10, 2002, 18:36   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:29
Roman. Legions rule, and besides... All the others are either Barbarians or are daughters of Rome.

Last edited by notyoueither; May 10, 2002 at 23:45.
Old May 10, 2002, 18:41   #7
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:29
For a more peaceful game, the Babylonians are, well, 'diety'. Religious & Scientific, they get those improvements at HALF PRICE. Their UU, OTH is not so hot.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 10, 2002, 18:42   #8
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Another Civ I like to play as is the Japanese

Their traits I find suit my playing style quite well.

Religious-to add to what I previously said, half price temples=early culture and border growth. cheap cathedrals also, helps happiness quite a lot

militaristic-quick promotions to elite which means a greater likelihood to gain great leaders. Also cheaper barracks.

The Jap UU, I don't find to be very useful, the samurai, replacing knights, but I think that the traits outweigh the lackluster UU

I'm not sure there is a "bad" civ to play as. I'm sure that every civ has its advocates (maybe except for the english and their UU) because each civ has different stregths. And people can choose their civ based on the game type they like to play.
Old May 10, 2002, 18:43   #9
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
Well, I hate to say it, but I like the French... they may be pink, and their UU may suck, but religious/industrious IMO is the best combo there is. Besides, the UU of any civ isn't a whole lot better than the unit itself... I can't tell the difference between fighting off elephants, samurai, or riders... they're basically just hyped-up knights to me.
The French are Commercial and Industrial.

The French UU is more effective in the blitz mod, how I like it to be. The UU is a 4.4.1 while regular Musketmen are 3.4.1 instead of the usual 2.4.1. I find it rather odd that Knights are better attackers than Musketmen, but who am I to complain.
Old May 10, 2002, 19:17   #10
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 18:29
As a rule I like to go with a civ that has its UU early: the Zulu Impi, Roman Legionary, Japanese Samuri (don't like the Jag Warrior though...too weak). REX is less important with v1.21, but early prowess is still key to winning the game.

However, I just finished my first game with the Germans and going into battle with the Panzer and getting my golden age later has big benifits. It helps you advance in tech and wonder production in the (sometimes) key mid/late game.

It just depends on what you want.
Old May 10, 2002, 19:47   #11
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 01:29
I like the Aztec because of their Jag Warrior. You can explore the map quickly with a unit that is not defenseless (like a scout) and you don't need the expansionist ability. Actually, expansionist is the least attractive ability to me.
The most important is industrious or religious, IMO. And then either militaristic or commercial as second property.
But you also have to take into account the UUs. I like UU which are faster than the normal ones. Speed is more important to attack/defense bonus (again IMO).
I think the German and American UUs come way to late and the English UU is useless, so I never play one of these.
Old May 10, 2002, 19:52   #12
Jon Shafer

As long as you can survive, the American and German UUs can be very important. Assuming you're on equal terms with the rest of the world, a sudden (modded) upgrade from cavalry to Panzers for the Germans can mean an unstoppable offensive for quite a few turns until Modern Armor comes around. Being that Civ III becomes a slug-fest later on, having a good unit to rely on at that time can be helpful. If you like to pound on civs early (I don't, personally), then an early UU should be able to give you the advantage early on. It all depends on your strategy.
Old May 10, 2002, 20:02   #13
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucilla
I like the Aztec because of their Jag Warrior. You can explore the map quickly with a unit that is not defenseless (like a scout) and you don't need the expansionist ability. Actually, expansionist is the least attractive ability to me.
That is one of the few things I change in the editor. I have changed the scout from 0/0/2 to 0/1/2. He can't destroy barb. encampments, but at least he can survive if he stumbles on one on his second move.

I figure anybody can find something to defend themselves with.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 10, 2002, 20:03   #14
Jon Shafer

Does the Scout actually have a defensive animation? If not what does he do when he's attacked.
Old May 10, 2002, 20:23   #15
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Does the Scout actually have a defensive animation? If not what does he do when he's attacked.
To tell the truth I never paid much attention. I'll have to see.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 10, 2002, 20:31   #16
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Umm, IIRC, when the scout gets attacked, he is then owned by the AI. Is that true? can't remember exactly, maybe that was only when he was attacked by another expansionist civ.
Old May 10, 2002, 20:39   #17
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
Umm, IIRC, when the scout gets attacked, he is then owned by the AI. Is that true? can't remember exactly, maybe that was only when he was attacked by another expansionist civ.
That's correct, but Tuberski mentioned how he modded his Scouts in order for them to have a defense of 1... so I was wondering that when he's attacked if he has some kind of animation to go along with it. As long as a unit has a defense of greater than 0, they will always fight. (Another complaint of mine is that there should be some way for units to surrender... but whatever)
Old May 10, 2002, 21:04   #18
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:29
hi ,

the US of A , they have the F-15 , later on this unit can make a huge amout of havoc , ...

have a nice day
Old May 10, 2002, 21:11   #19
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:

That's correct, but Tuberski mentioned how he modded his Scouts in order for them to have a defense of 1... so I was wondering that when he's attacked if he has some kind of animation to go along with it. As long as a unit has a defense of greater than 0, they will always fight. (Another complaint of mine is that there should be some way for units to surrender... but whatever)
Interesting. sorry, guess I wasn't reading closely enough (wouldn't be the first time ) Anyway, I hpoe that wouldn;t cause the game to crash, the lack of the death sequence.
Old May 10, 2002, 21:15   #20
Jon Shafer

There is a death sequence though.
What do you think happens when a barbarian unit catches a lone Scout or Worker?
Old May 10, 2002, 21:22   #21
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
There is a death sequence though.
What do you think happens when a barbarian unit catches a lone Scout or Worker?

Umm. Ok, so I'm an idiot lay off already And I haven't seen those sequences in a while. I'll admit it, I'm a wuss, only usually playing on sedentary. I am weak.