Old May 10, 2002, 21:44   #1
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 19:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Our World in 1400 AD
The Tale of the Years 1260 AD to 1400 AD

1260 - Renamed 2 cities to Brandenburg and Dortmund. Leaving Rivertown unchanged in name. Moved Diplomat out of New Castellon to search for Pisae.

1280 - Diplomat arrives at Elephantine to check on construction of Adam Smith's. Discovers Indian Elephant plus unknown unit(s) fortified 1 square NW of city. Diplomat investigates city and finds that Adam Smith's is about 80 shields away from completion. Shield production is only 2 per turn. There is only 1 Phalanx in Elephantine! May take some time for the Egyptians to complete their Wonder!

Rivertown is about to get new Citizens and they don't look very happy. I rushbuild the Temple for 40 gold. Have a Trireme headed for kIndalia to pick up Crusader and Musketeer to deliver to Light. Diplomat finds Pisae! It is 4 squares NW of New Castellon.

1300 - Egypt discovers Mysticism; Carthaginians "about to build Copernicus's". Oh well, can't do much about that but will put that on the list of things to take someday! Moving some units to convenient pick-up locations when their absence won't bring the cities to revolt.

1320 - Egyptians "about to complete Adam's" WHAT??? I just checked that and they were not even close. Wish I could build like the AI's do! I was expecting to have another Crusader and Musketeer!!! But that's OK, better now than way later. I think I can take Elephantine. I have 2 Triremes, 3 Crusaders, and 1 Musketeer ready to go from Light. That Indian Elephant and unknown unit really bothers me, though!

Pick up Crusader and Musketeer near kIndalia and pick up Caravan at Nova Hispania. Paha Sapa is about to add a Citizen and looks unhappy, so I convert a Worker to an Entertainer.

1340 - Elephantine builds Adam Smith's! Americans were too, but cancel project. I launch our attack fleet (2 Triremes, 3 Crusaders, and a Musketeer)! Reaching Elephantine, I disembark a Crusader and attack the city. The Phalanx dies and our brave Crusader is unwounded! I disembark other units, and the 2nd Crusader attacks! He catches an Egyptian Trireme in port and destroys it! The Elephantine flag goes down. The 3rd Crusader takes the city and Adam Smith is ours! We get Chemistry and 41 gold. In celebration, I rename the City Shade…

The Indians send an Emissary who wishes to talk. Knowing of the experience of Shade in these matters, I say "No" hoping to avoid War. It seems to work - the Indian Emissary departs without threats.

But I realize I have made an error. Having seen the Egyptian Trireme prowling around, I made sure to keep our 2 Triremes on separate squares. But the Musketeer is on the ship not adjacent to the city. I can't get him into Elephantine in one move! That leaves us with only a single Crusader (which I fortify) in the city and those Indian units are poised to attack.

Balsindia is about to get a new Citizen, and they look unhappy too, so I convert another Worker to an Entertainer. I'd rather lose a small production of one Worker than chance the waste for whole group of them if they revolt.

I press the "enter" key with considerable trepidation!

1360 - The Indians steal Banking from Apolytonia (never did see the ship or the Diplomat), and (keeping in mind that Elephant near Shade), I decline to use that excuse to go to War with them. Their treachery will be paid back later. But they do not attack Shade. I am delirious with joy.!!! I think I have made a hard but wise political decision, so I swallow my pride!

We discover Astronomy, and we are now researching Democracy! Things are falling in our favor. I receive a notice that we are now 3 million Citizens strong. Sounds good. I check the Tax Rate box - Income 39, cost 2. Wow!

1380 - The Indian government has been overthrown. Hmmm… Wonder what that means. Apolytonia is about to get a new Citizen and they seem unhappy (we are starting to have serious problems again), so I make a Worker an Entertainer. New Castellon is doing the same, but I rushbuild a Temple there and keep production up for 40 gold. A Barb Trireme (with at least a unit) is near Walvis!

The Egyptians send an Emissary and I decide to talk to it (we're already at War, right?). It demands Invention as if we hadn't just taken one of their cities. I tell it to drop dead, hoping maybe it will offer gold for peace. It doesn't. India is a Republic now. In fact all our opponents are Republics now.

1400 - I check the Foreign Minister screen and cycle through the civs we have embassies with (have to remember to do something about getting Diplomats to the Americans and Carthaginians). I realize the Egyptians have Pi-Ramesses and we don't where that is. Probably west of Heliopolis, since I see a catapault out there. The Barb ship near Walvis moves toward Nalduria. I move a Trireme (that can't reach the Barb ship) into Nalduria for protection.

We are in good shape, but we have unhappiness problems developing again. I am building some collosseums, to avert problems until we get SoL and go Communist. That should occur next session, I think. I've also been moving some units around and re-homing them to relieve some shield costs.

Screenshots to follow shortly...

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old May 10, 2002, 21:45   #2
cavebear
Emperor

Our cities:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cities1400ad.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	15120  
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old May 10, 2002, 21:46   #3
cavebear
Emperor

Our Defence:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	defence1400ad.jpg
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	15121  
Old May 10, 2002, 21:48   #4
cavebear
Emperor

Our Demographics:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	demographics1400ad.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	15122  
Old May 10, 2002, 21:50   #5
cavebear
Emperor

Our Foreign Affairs:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	foreign1400ad.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	15123  
Old May 10, 2002, 21:53   #6
cavebear
Emperor

The 1400 AD Powergraph:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	powergraph1400ad.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	15124  
Old May 10, 2002, 21:57   #7
cavebear
Emperor

TaxRate:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	taxrate1400ad.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	15125  
Old May 10, 2002, 21:58   #8
cavebear
Emperor

Techs:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	techs1400ad.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	15126  
Old May 10, 2002, 22:00   #9
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
Techs:
Plus, we have Republic, Seafaring, Trade, Warrior, Wheel, and Writing.
Old May 10, 2002, 22:01   #10
cavebear
Emperor

Trade, part 1:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	trade1400ad1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	15127  
Old May 10, 2002, 22:02   #11
cavebear
Emperor

Trade, part 2:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	trade1400ad2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	15128  
Old May 10, 2002, 22:05   #12
cavebear
Emperor

The other 3 civs we can contact are all researching Bridge-Building. I will take that from one of them when they discover it. And they are all Republics at the moment.

Old May 11, 2002, 04:07   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sounds like a hard fought session, cavebear - the VP approves highly!

It looks like our happiness probs are the major factor at the mo' - I haven't had very much Deity MGE experience, so can anyone suggest a solution? Maybe JSB's is a help...?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 11, 2002, 07:00   #14
shade
King

Local Time: 01:30
Nice play...we got Adam Smith's ....Jiihoeeiii

I'll take a look at the save now.

Shade
Old May 12, 2002, 23:04   #15
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 18:30
How kind of the egyptians to build us a wonder! Perhaps they will be willing to talk peace after we sack Heliopolis...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old May 12, 2002, 23:21   #16
cavebear
Emperor

If we have to bludgeon the Egyptians into "friendliness" so be it!

Old May 13, 2002, 06:46   #17
James Adams
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 00:30
Re: Our World in 1400 AD
Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
The Tale of the Years 1260 AD to 1400 AD

1260 - Renamed 2 cities to Brandenburg and Dortmund. Leaving Rivertown unchanged in name. Moved Diplomat out of New Castellon to search for Pisae.

1280 - Diplomat arrives at Elephantine to check on construction of Adam Smith's. Discovers Indian Elephant plus unknown unit(s) fortified 1 square NW of city. Diplomat investigates city and finds that Adam Smith's is about 80 shields away from completion. Shield production is only 2 per turn. There is only 1 Phalanx in Elephantine! May take some time for the Egyptians to complete their Wonder!

Rivertown is about to get new Citizens and they don't look very happy. I rushbuild the Temple for 40 gold. Have a Trireme headed for kIndalia to pick up Crusader and Musketeer to deliver to Light. Diplomat finds Pisae! It is 4 squares NW of New Castellon.

1300 - Egypt discovers Mysticism; Carthaginians "about to build Copernicus's". Oh well, can't do much about that but will put that on the list of things to take someday! Moving some units to convenient pick-up locations when their absence won't bring the cities to revolt.

1320 - Egyptians "about to complete Adam's" WHAT??? I just checked that and they were not even close. Wish I could build like the AI's do! I was expecting to have another Crusader and Musketeer!!! But that's OK, better now than way later. I think I can take Elephantine. I have 2 Triremes, 3 Crusaders, and 1 Musketeer ready to go from Light. That Indian Elephant and unknown unit really bothers me, though!

Pick up Crusader and Musketeer near kIndalia and pick up Caravan at Nova Hispania. Paha Sapa is about to add a Citizen and looks unhappy, so I convert a Worker to an Entertainer.

1340 - Elephantine builds Adam Smith's! Americans were too, but cancel project. I launch our attack fleet (2 Triremes, 3 Crusaders, and a Musketeer)! Reaching Elephantine, I disembark a Crusader and attack the city. The Phalanx dies and our brave Crusader is unwounded! I disembark other units, and the 2nd Crusader attacks! He catches an Egyptian Trireme in port and destroys it! The Elephantine flag goes down. The 3rd Crusader takes the city and Adam Smith is ours! We get Chemistry and 41 gold. In celebration, I rename the City Shade…

The Indians send an Emissary who wishes to talk. Knowing of the experience of Shade in these matters, I say "No" hoping to avoid War. It seems to work - the Indian Emissary departs without threats.

But I realize I have made an error. Having seen the Egyptian Trireme prowling around, I made sure to keep our 2 Triremes on separate squares. But the Musketeer is on the ship not adjacent to the city. I can't get him into Elephantine in one move! That leaves us with only a single Crusader (which I fortify) in the city and those Indian units are poised to attack.

Balsindia is about to get a new Citizen, and they look unhappy too, so I convert another Worker to an Entertainer. I'd rather lose a small production of one Worker than chance the waste for whole group of them if they revolt.

I press the "enter" key with considerable trepidation!

1360 - The Indians steal Banking from Apolytonia (never did see the ship or the Diplomat), and (keeping in mind that Elephant near Shade), I decline to use that excuse to go to War with them. Their treachery will be paid back later. But they do not attack Shade. I am delirious with joy.!!! I think I have made a hard but wise political decision, so I swallow my pride!

We discover Astronomy, and we are now researching Democracy! Things are falling in our favor. I receive a notice that we are now 3 million Citizens strong. Sounds good. I check the Tax Rate box - Income 39, cost 2. Wow!

1380 - The Indian government has been overthrown. Hmmm… Wonder what that means. Apolytonia is about to get a new Citizen and they seem unhappy (we are starting to have serious problems again), so I make a Worker an Entertainer. New Castellon is doing the same, but I rushbuild a Temple there and keep production up for 40 gold. A Barb Trireme (with at least a unit) is near Walvis!

The Egyptians send an Emissary and I decide to talk to it (we're already at War, right?). It demands Invention as if we hadn't just taken one of their cities. I tell it to drop dead, hoping maybe it will offer gold for peace. It doesn't. India is a Republic now. In fact all our opponents are Republics now.

1400 - I check the Foreign Minister screen and cycle through the civs we have embassies with (have to remember to do something about getting Diplomats to the Americans and Carthaginians). I realize the Egyptians have Pi-Ramesses and we don't where that is. Probably west of Heliopolis, since I see a catapault out there. The Barb ship near Walvis moves toward Nalduria. I move a Trireme (that can't reach the Barb ship) into Nalduria for protection.

We are in good shape, but we have unhappiness problems developing again. I am building some collosseums, to avert problems until we get SoL and go Communist. That should occur next session, I think. I've also been moving some units around and re-homing them to relieve some shield costs.

Screenshots to follow shortly...

Well done to all, well done. I need the embassies of tech and list of cities as screenshots!.
Old May 14, 2002, 18:52   #18
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

Local Time: 01:30
screenshots of our new territories!!!!!
Old May 15, 2002, 11:23   #19
cavebear
Emperor

New Territory:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	shade.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	15442  
Old May 15, 2002, 11:49   #20
cavebear
Emperor

Pisae:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	pisae.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	15444  
Old May 16, 2002, 06:45   #21
James Adams
Prince

Still need more foreign information!
Old May 16, 2002, 15:22   #22
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 02:30
All of this seems good.
But we are always late in GNP and income per citizen !
Old May 16, 2002, 15:43   #23
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 18:30
Quote:
Originally posted by JCP
All of this seems good.
We will be first once we capture the last AI city!

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old May 16, 2002, 16:09   #24
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JCP
All of this seems good.
We will soon have Sol and turn Communist. The Demographics will change radically then...

Old May 17, 2002, 06:33   #25
James Adams
Prince

We need more embassies!
Old May 17, 2002, 07:19   #26
cavebear
Emperor

I'm tempted to get an Embassy with all the rest of the civs just so that you will have to think of something else to post!
Old May 17, 2002, 09:14   #27
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 02:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq

We will be first once we capture the last AI city!