Old May 8, 2001, 15:38   #1
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ-3 release Christmas-2001 according to..
I dont know if below is already old news - anyway I found some Civ-3 release-info on this webpage http://www.gamescomputer.opasia.dk/a...aid=2877&oid=1 (its in danish. Below follow a quick and sparse english translation)

"INFOGRAMES SET TURBO ON CIVILIZATION III

Its look like french Infogrames isnt so patient, as Hasbro. Until now, nobody believed that Civ-3 was likely to come out 2001. But earlier this year Infogrames overtook Hasbro, as owners to Civ-3 rights, and in a official release-list its now says "4 quarter". It also have to do with the head-man, Sid Meier, a couple of weeks ago, laid Dinosaur on ice in order to concentrate fully on Civ-3. [...] We can only hope that the gameplay doesnt suffers, because the game is supposed to be release-ready in conjunction with christmas-shopping 2001"

Well, this explains perhaps why they have limited time available then it comes to answering questions and updating their website. I wonder if they working 2-shift over there.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited May 08, 2001).]
Old May 8, 2001, 15:44   #2
tniem
King

Local Time: 19:58
Local Date: October 30, 2010
About the only thing I understood on the site is that the news is from Feb 20.

I hope then it is old news. I want Civ III like the rest of you, but I want a great game first and foremost. The reason Blizzard has been so successful is that they have taken mass marketable games and made sure they were as close to perfect as possible before releasing. Game companies need to understand that a movie studio would not release a film if half the scenes had black over them and they wouldn't make money off of them. So game companies should take their time get the game right and take care of as many bugs as possible.

I'm willing to wait.
Old May 8, 2001, 16:00   #3
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:58
quote:

Originally posted by tniem on 05-08-2001 03:44 PM
I'm willing to wait.

Well, perhaps. But I dont think that a beyond "1 quarter 2002" was likely anyway. So a speeded up late november/early december 2001 release perhaps isnt that unreachable. Anyway, I share your concerns. And yes - that info is 11 weeks old.
Old May 8, 2001, 17:13   #4
MarkG

how many times must we say:

dont believe release dates if it's doesnt come from firaxis

????

Old May 8, 2001, 19:44   #5
Roman
King

Local Time: 00:58
quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 05-08-2001 04:00 PM
Well, perhaps. But I dont think that a beyond "1 quarter 2002" was likely anyway. So a speeded up late november/early december 2001 release perhaps isnt that unreachable. Anyway, I share your concerns. And yes - that info is 11 weeks old.

A As MarkG says the release that isn't from Firaxis and hence cannot be 100% trusted.

B The dinosaurs project was shelved, which gives Firaxis more resources to work on Civ 3 and coplete it faster. They have been working on it for quite a while now and hence I see no reason why they couldn't release a high quality game in 4th quater of 2001.