Old May 11, 2002, 12:07   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 19:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
FIRAXIS: Whats up with the 1/3 move?
i just noticed this now (for some reason), but when your units are moving on your roads, it doesnt show when a unit has 2/3 or 1/3 of a move left, and even with 1/3 of a move, you can ALWAYS move on to an un-roaded square. in civ2 it was a game of chance if you got to do that last move, where 1/3 moves had 1/3 a chance to do it, 2/3 etc...

i'm just curious as to why this is in civ3, was it a consious choice or just another thing overlooked?
Old May 11, 2002, 12:26   #2
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 03:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I believe a choice, and I actually prefer it that way.
Old May 11, 2002, 12:57   #3
simwiz2
Warlord

it was a choice, and a good one because now you actually know how far your units can move and can plan accordngly. Not knowing whether a unit has 1, 2/3, or 1/3 moves left can be annoying though.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old May 11, 2002, 13:48   #4
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 01:31
But making a move requiring 1 and 2/3 movement point with a unit with 1 movement point seems strange. I like the civ2 way; it averages out, and so is consistent with the movement points, as well as adding another dimension to strategy.
Old May 11, 2002, 13:57   #5
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:31
Moving into a mountain square doesn't require 1 movement. By that philosophy, units with a movement of 1 could never move through mountains or hills...
Old May 11, 2002, 14:02   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

no, it worked in civ2, it required that ALL of a units moves be used (unless it had mroe than 3 moves). for example, a chariot moving on a mountain often DIDNT if it only had 1 move left (but now chariots cant move on mountains anyway)
Old May 11, 2002, 14:07   #7
DrSpike
Deity

Yes. Now of course any square can be entered with the last 3rd of a movement point, even mountains. This is dumb, and what's more if you're going to make the change why have 2 move units losing the 2nd movement point when entering say forest with the 1st point. It just isn't consistent. The civ2 way was. I don't mind having a new system, but consistency would be nice.
Old May 11, 2002, 14:45   #8
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Yes. Now of course any square can be entered with the last 3rd of a movement point, even mountains. This is dumb, and what's more if you're going to make the change why have 2 move units losing the 2nd movement point when entering say forest with the 1st point. It just isn't consistent. The civ2 way was. I don't mind having a new system, but consistency would be nice.
agreed.
on the plus side (tho even less consistent) is that fortifying a unit requires 1 full mvt point remaining so that last third of a mvt point can't be used for that (i could be wrong)
the negative is that the graphic shows the person fortifying, even though they aren't getting fortifying bonuses! since it doesn't show the thirds, how does one know?
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old May 12, 2002, 00:25   #9
MosesPresley
Prince

It was purposeful. I read it in the manual. It was in the part about changes from Civ2.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old May 12, 2002, 00:32   #10
Switch
Prince

I looked at the 'What's Gone' section, but I didn't see any mention of movement, besides that dealing with ZOC.
Where in the manual is it mentioned?
Old May 12, 2002, 14:54   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain

agreed.
on the plus side (tho even less consistent) is that fortifying a unit requires 1 full mvt point remaining so that last third of a mvt point can't be used for that (i could be wrong)
Soren also stated that a full turn must pass before a unit gets the fortified defensive bonus.
Old May 12, 2002, 17:27   #12
DrSpike
Deity

Thing is it is really hard to tell whether the results of a combat suggest you get the bonus or not. If you fortify at the start of the turn with full movement points left does that qualify for the bonus next turn? And do we know whether this is different to fortifying with the last 3rd of a MP then waiting till the start of the next. These things are important to know. What did Soren say exactly Uberkrux?
Old May 12, 2002, 17:31   #13
cassembler
Prince

Local Time: 18:31
I personally think it makes the game more fun. I *hated* not being able to move that extra square in Civ2.
Old May 12, 2002, 19:45   #14
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:31
I like the fact I can plan where to move my units too.
Old May 12, 2002, 20:28   #15
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:31
Agreed. I like things the way they are.
Old May 12, 2002, 20:40   #16
Captain
King

but what about the fortifying thing? is it 1 mvt point used up? or 1 turn needed? or is 1 turn needed only if <1 mvt pt remains?
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old May 12, 2002, 21:36   #17
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It would be helpful if the right-click pop up showed units as being fortified (completely) or sentry or asleep or nothing. It does, kind of, but the true status is unclear.

If it takes a full turn before fortified benefits are conferred, that sux. I can't say how many times I've accidentally woken up the top guy in the stack. It would really blow to lose an important city in a close fight due to an interface accident.
Old May 12, 2002, 21:45   #18
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Indeed, fortifying takes a full turn unless you have made no other moves with the unit that turn.
Old May 12, 2002, 21:52   #19
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

So if you fortify in your starting square, you are fortified before the bad guys get to go? Good.

What about if you move on rails? You haven't expended any movement.
Old May 12, 2002, 22:21   #20
simwiz2
Warlord

i would assume it works the same way as unit healing, so if you move along rails only and still have full movement you should get fortified immediately.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old May 12, 2002, 23:28   #21
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
Indeed, fortifying takes a full turn unless you have made no other moves with the unit that turn.
NO other movement? So if cavalry moves 2 spaces, then fortifies, it won't get the fortify bonus til next turn? (not that you'd really want to fortify cav anyways, just an example)
Old May 13, 2002, 13:47   #22
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
NO other movement? So if cavalry moves 2 spaces, then fortifies, it won't get the fortify bonus til next turn? (not that you'd really want to fortify cav anyways, just an example)
As I said fortifying takes a full trun unless you have expended any movement points. So, cav that move 2 spaces do not fortify that turn.

I don't know how that works with railroads.
Old May 13, 2002, 20:06   #23
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:31
I don't think moving via railroads has any effect on their movement status. So if you fortify immediately or move 5 tiles via rail, it would be the same to the game.
Old May 14, 2002, 01:52   #24
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:31
Per Soren (April 19), Civ3 General - Small Exploit thread:
Quote:
If a unit is fortified but doesn't have any movement points left, it has no effect on combat results. (so you wouldn't get a bonus until next turn...)
JB
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 14, 2002, 02:11   #25
MosesPresley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SwitchMoO
I looked at the 'What's Gone' section, but I didn't see any mention of movement, besides that dealing with ZOC.
Where in the manual is it mentioned?
My memory was a little off, it is in Chapter 7: Terrain and Movement page 69 third paragraph.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime