Old May 11, 2002, 18:13   #1
nato
Prince

Local Time: 19:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Viking Suggestion
I have a small suggestion ...

if Vikings are a new civ, and
if their UU is a berserker-swordsman, not a longboat-ship...

I think it would be very cool to give the berserker the marine ability to attack from ship.

I got this idea from a book I read comparing Vikings to marines. Here is a quote from the start of the chapter on this:

"The common perception of marines is of soldiers who live on ships yet who fight on sea and land. ... if one had to categorise these Norsemen by modern terminology it would be difficult to find a more appropriate, if crude, definition than that of a marine; probably the first true marine in military history and certainly the most effective."

This would simulate their coastal raiding, and help to make the berserker more unique from the several other swordsmen. And best of all, since the marine function is already there, it would be very easy to do!

Just a small detail, but I think it would be a cool touch. Thanks for reading.
Old May 11, 2002, 19:06   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Re: Viking Suggestion
Quote:
Originally posted by nato

I think it would be very cool to give the berserker the marine ability to attack from ship.

I got this idea from a book I read comparing Vikings to marines. Here is a quote from the start of the chapter on this:

"The common perception of marines is of soldiers who live on ships yet who fight on sea and land. ... if one had to categorise these Norsemen by modern terminology it would be difficult to find a more appropriate, if crude, definition than that of a marine; probably the first true marine in military history and certainly the most effective."

This would simulate their coastal raiding, and help to make the berserker more unique from the several other swordsmen. And best of all, since the marine function is already there, it would be very easy to do!

theres a whole discussion on that in a thread called "Why the XP needs the Vikings" or something.
Old May 11, 2002, 20:45   #3
nato
Prince

Gee sorry Uber. I figured that would be a thread about why they should be one of the new civs ... mine was just a tiny detail thing IF they were in, not an argument for them to be in. Just a little note I thought was cool, no big deal.

I should have put it there instead.
Old May 11, 2002, 23:05   #4
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I wonder if they could make two UUs for each Civ in the XP? that way Vikings could have Berserkers & Longships, & we could add some other units, like American Sherman tanks, German U-Boats, & Japanese Sub-Carriers...
Old May 12, 2002, 00:28   #5
nationalist
Warlord

FIRAXIS, PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS SUGGESTION!
Quote:
Originally posted by nato

I agree 100%. Not only do I think that this will make the Vikings UU true to life, but it will also be a nice change from the standard add one point to a stat. It would give the Vikings a distinct advantage to choosing them, and would reflect their sea-raider nature. Plus, sea based UU suck. (look at the Man-o-War)
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old May 12, 2002, 08:19   #6
nato
Prince

Two UUs would be very cool ... as long as they were both really deserving choices, and not made up ones to get two UUs per civ.

To be honest I think the Longboat would be a better historical choice than a Berserker ... but in game terms, like nationalist saids, it would probably not be very useful.

Unless it was like a Galley that could travel as safely as a Caravel maybe, but that might be too powerful.

Of course the marine ability is not too useful either! But its a cool touch.

Anyway, I'm sorry the idea was old news ... I should have read the viking thread before posting. But at least I had a cool on-topic book quote!
Old May 12, 2002, 09:30   #7
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:32
as many have said on the big vikings thread, that is a very very very weak advantage to give them

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 12, 2002, 10:34   #8
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
Vikings could start with map making tho, giving them boats way before everyone, this could be an acceptable compromise.
Old May 12, 2002, 12:44   #9
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Two UUs would be very cool ... as long as they were both really deserving choices, and not made up ones to get two UUs per civ.
Two would be good- but only if both of them were too weak, and only added up equaled the UU's of the other civ's UU's

For example: The longboat has only a +1 attack or +1 unit transported... Wheras the Bezerker is technically only a legion rated unit with amphibious assaults.

Then, if combined, they become powerful, but alone, the two are no more than regular units that are slightly advanced.
Old May 12, 2002, 14:32   #10
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

If they make two UUs, they should separate them (timewise) as much as possible. (You can't really make a Modern Age Babalonian UU)
Old May 12, 2002, 15:00   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkworld Ark
If they make two UUs, they should separate them (timewise) as much as possible. (You can't really make a Modern Age Babalonian UU)
you could overgeneralize and say that teir modern equilivient is Iraq (despite obvious differences).
Old May 12, 2002, 15:18   #12
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX

you could overgeneralize and say that teir modern equilivient is Iraq (despite obvious differences).
Does that mean that Babylon gets Chemical Weapons?
Old May 12, 2002, 18:55   #13
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
And that would make it necessary for it to be in the same era for may civilizations.

The way to balance it may be to make the UU's stronger if they are separated by a longer period of time.
Old May 18, 2002, 02:31   #14
Mikhail
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Metaliturtle
Vikings could start with map making tho, giving them boats way before everyone, this could be an acceptable compromise.
Acceptable compromise? Map making is 3 or 4 techs down the line. Even if you research only the techs needed to get it, it will still take many many turns for a normal civ to get it.
You'd either have to really screw with the tech tree (having the vikings research the techs that ARE REQUIRED FOR map making, after they already have it), or have them start out with all 6 or so technologies.

You might as well just sign the game over to the Vikings. They'll immediately make contact with other civs on Continental or Island maps, ruining the exploration part of the game, and usurp land on other people's continents before they have a chance to expand.

Besides...I don't recall anything about the vikings inventing boats in the stone age. It's really really unrealistic.
Old May 19, 2002, 14:05   #15
wrylachlan
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikhail

Acceptable compromise? Map making is 3 or 4 techs down the line. Even if you research only the techs needed to get it, it will still take many many turns for a normal civ to get it.
You'd either have to really screw with the tech tree (having the vikings research the techs that ARE REQUIRED FOR map making, after they already have it), or have them start out with all 6 or so technologies.

You might as well just sign the game over to the Vikings. They'll immediately make contact with other civs on Continental or Island maps, ruining the exploration part of the game, and usurp land on other people's continents before they have a chance to expand.

Besides...I don't recall anything about the vikings inventing boats in the stone age. It's really really unrealistic.
I don't know a thing about how the game is coded, might it be possible to give civ-specific bonuses to specific techs? Like the vikings might get Map Making at half cost, or even Map Making and it's prereqs at half cost but all other tech at normal? Or oeven at a penalty to balance it (like Literature costs more or some other important tech costs more)? So Vikings wouldn't get Map Making right away, but they would get it before other civs? Is this even possible?
Old May 19, 2002, 14:23   #16
DarkCloud
staff

wyrlachlan- that's a great idea- the Vikings could have the beserker or the longship (one or the other) AND have Map Making at half cost- it would add a new dimension to the game...

Civ-specific techs!
Old May 19, 2002, 17:12   #17
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
wyrlachlan- that's a great idea- the Vikings could have the beserker or the longship (one or the other) AND have Map Making at half cost- it would add a new dimension to the game...

Civ-specific techs!
i always thought that, but i never saw it through.

i was thinking (if you could bear it) to make another Knight based UU for the vikings.

i'd make the berzerker a knight (like the samuari) just because i'd use an amphibious attack with a 4 or 5 attack more than i would with a 3.
Old May 19, 2002, 17:41   #18
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 02:32
I think that Longships could be cool, if that's a unit with ability to cross sea like Caravel.
Old May 20, 2002, 08:03   #19
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 01:32
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud

Civ-specific techs!
The idea of civ-specific techs is really great! Techs should be cheaper for civs according to their specific abilities (Writing for scientific civs, Map Making for expansionist, etc.). You could then even take away the two free techs at the beginning. The civs would maintain their specific touch throughout the whole game.

However, it might be difficult to make these benefits balanced. There would be a lot of scientific advances, but only few commercial ones in the early game. And industrial civs would be overpowered in the industrial era. For that reason civ-specific abilities could be limited to one per era or 3-4 per game.
Old May 20, 2002, 09:48   #20
wrylachlan
Prince

It would make sense to me to have the tech bonus applied to whatever tech allows the UU. Though then you'd run into the problem of many civs have the same req for a UU (knight) so it wouldn't really make them unique. But I like the 1 tech per age getting the bonus, and maybe 2 per age for scientific civs.

I think that the minimum turns for the bonus techs should also be removed since many people max out tech and are producing all techs in 4 turns by the end game, so a tech bonus would equal money, not faster science.

Does anyone familiar with the code know how feasible this would be?
Old May 21, 2002, 22:38   #21
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Well the Berserk(er)'s in, now we just need to see if he's got Anphibious Attack...
Old May 21, 2002, 22:43   #22
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:32
If not, just add it...
Old May 22, 2002, 04:05   #23
catullus
Warlord

Local Time: 01:32
Quote:
I wonder if they could make two UUs for each Civ in the XP? that way Vikings could have Berserkers & Longships, & we could add some other units, like American Sherman tanks, German U-Boats, & Japanese Sub-Carriers...
American Sherman tanks? Why would you want a UU with lower stats than the vanilla tank?

C.