Old May 11, 2002, 19:04   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 19:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Firaxis: Possible Patch Entity
it would be real nice if all the little things over a city (eg: "Rome Builds Warrior", "Civil Disorder in Antium", "Starvation in Cumae") were logged to a window you could look at. that way if you miss one (as i sometimes tend to do) you could check the list of events. if you could make it so you could click it ot jump to the city, that would be even better.

(also, the casuality list )
Old May 11, 2002, 19:15   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:33
Would "WE-NEED-MORE-UNITS-YOU-IDIOT" be an appropriate message?

Good idea BTW.
Old May 11, 2002, 20:43   #3
Nostromo
Emperor

Local Time: 20:33
I agree. Good idea. But IMO it's more a XP suggestion than a patch suggestion. You should post it on the Play the World forum.
Old May 11, 2002, 21:19   #4
nato
Prince

I think its a good idea too Uber ... sometimes, if a few cities go into disorder, I end up just counting them, to be sure I don't miss fixing one, because I can't remember all the names flying by.

Like I've said, I have never missed important messages, but I have forgotten to go fix it after all the little reports are done. Then something that could have easily been prevented goes wrong because I forgot it in the list of fly bys, and I'm kicking myself.

Of course, I have hardly ever seen a feature suggestion I didn't like (including mine) ... if only half of them could all be done!
Old May 12, 2002, 06:33   #5
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 01:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A message window was part of SMAC's interface ... so it surely could be included in Civ3's expansion pack.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old May 12, 2002, 11:15   #6
Flanker
Warlord

Local Time: 01:33
Very good idea, something I really miss. I usually forget where all the pollution is, and then I have to scroll around the map to find it, which takes a while. I miss that nice "go-to-function" in Civ2 where you could see which cities that had pollution in their radius. It is also very annoying to get a city improvement destroyed just because you forgot to fix the civilian unrest.
Old May 12, 2002, 12:06   #7
wrylachlan
Prince

Local Time: 00:33
Re: Firaxis: Possible Patch Entity
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
it would be real nice if all the little things over a city (eg: "Rome Builds Warrior", "Civil Disorder in Antium", "Starvation in Cumae") were logged to a window you could look at. that way if you miss one (as i sometimes tend to do) you could check the list of events. if you could make it so you could click it ot jump to the city, that would be even better.

And going for even one more step of ease, when you click to go to that city and then come back, a check-mark appears next to the city in the list so you can remember which problems you've taken care of already. This would be especially useful on a huge map where you can have hundreds of cities.
Old May 12, 2002, 14:21   #8
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:33
The mini-map has a new button on it: "L" for Log. Log replaces mini-map and each log entry is dated for the turn. Better yet, it gives both the year and the turn number!!

To the left (or right) of each log entry that is referring to a city (yours, or anyone's??) there is a small button that takes you to the city site.

Oh, and don't forget the SCROLL BAR for what has now become the log window. And also the "M" button to return to the mini-map!

JB
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 12, 2002, 14:25   #9
zulu9812
King

u can set preferences so u get a pop-up with each civil disorder
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 12, 2002, 14:42   #10
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Re: Firaxis: Possible Patch Entity
Quote:

What a coincidence! Freeciv has had that feature for years.
Old May 12, 2002, 14:47   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Re: Re: Firaxis: Possible Patch Entity
Quote:
Originally posted by CapTVK

What a coincidence! Freeciv has had that feature for years.
i also noted that coincidence

if they made "freeciv3" i'd definately convert
Old May 12, 2002, 15:04   #12
CapTVK
King

Re: Re: Re: Firaxis: Possible Patch Entity
Quote:

i also noted that coincidence

if they made "freeciv3" i'd definately convert

I'm not too sure. If we called it by that name the Freeciv project would probably get their pants sued off by Firaxis/Infogrames.

Still....it would go faster if more people where willing to help or contribute(hint hint hint )
Old May 12, 2002, 15:10   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Firaxis: Possible Patch Entity
Quote:

I'm not too sure. If we called it by that name the Freeciv project would probably get their pants sued off by Firaxis/Infogrames.

Still....it would go faster if more people where willing to help or contribute(hint hint hint )
i tried freeciv and wasn't that impressed. i'm all for open source but civ3 overshadowed it by far. the new resource system is so damn cool that i cant go back.
Old May 12, 2002, 17:31   #14
CapTVK
King

Uberkrux

Glad to see you're enjoying Civ3. Indeed it has made some great improvements like the trade/resource model (although only half way from my proposed model - it's a bit silly that one coal resource can supply an entire nation- ). Having finally gotten a chance to playtest Civ3 it never seemed to rekindle my interest in the way Civ2MP did. Sleek graphics, good execution but for some specific reason it just didn't have the spark for me. Maybe Civ3 is to newcomers to the genre what Civ1 and Civ2 was for me.

Freeciv for some reason does carry that spark. For all its rough edges there's a damn good game beneath which offers a lot of freedom to the user. One reason for me to prefer Freeciv were the logs: with one command everything can be stored in gamelog files which can easily be exported to other programs so you can analyze them in a serious way instead of relying on that bogus powergraph in Civ2. Hey, I like stats okay? )

The second reason is the community effort that goes into Freeciv. It's cool to make a contribution (not programming perse, bughunting is also worthwhile), even cooler than playing the game! Yin26 said something similar in one of his (final? ) farewell speeches: "actively contributing to a game can be far more fun than being a passive player" (or words to that effect, hunting through Yin26's older posts can take awhile)

And with every step Freeciv becomes a little better... one of those steps, a small one, was done by me
Old May 12, 2002, 18:19   #15
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Uberkrux

Glad to see you're enjoying Civ3. Indeed it has made some great improvements like the trade/resource model (although only half way from my proposed model - it's a bit silly that one coal resource can supply an entire nation- ). Having finally gotten a chance to playtest Civ3 it never seemed to rekindle my interest in the way Civ2MP did. Sleek graphics, good execution but for some specific reason it just didn't have the spark for me. Maybe Civ3 is to newcomers to the genre what Civ1 and Civ2 was for me.

Freeciv for some reason does carry that spark. For all its rough edges there's a damn good game beneath which offers a lot of freedom to the user. One reason for me to prefer Freeciv were the logs: with one command everything can be stored in gamelog files which can easily be exported to other programs so you can analyze them in a serious way instead of relying on that bogus powergraph in Civ2. Hey, I like stats okay? )

The second reason is the community effort that goes into Freeciv. It's cool to make a contribution (not programming perse, bughunting is also worthwhile), even cooler than playing the game! Yin26 said something similar in one of his (final? ) farewell speeches: "actively contributing to a game can be far more fun than being a passive player" (or words to that effect, hunting through Yin26's older posts can take awhile)

And with every step Freeciv becomes a little better... one of those steps, a small one, was done by me
kudos to you and the freeciv team.

i often ponder the validness of open source MP games... how do you know someone you're playing against hasnt modified their game?