Old May 18, 2002, 10:41   #31
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 01:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
One could get certain great leaders by building certain improvements (like Wall Street small wonders, but getting a leader instead/on top), reaching certain ages (milestone in history should be rewarderd), reaching certain military achievements, in addition to great wonders, due to certain % happiness...

You name it, much is still possible.

Unbalancing? Says who?

The suggestions for new great leaders already were being made, but don't ask me to find them again in the Labyrinth of Apolyton.

If you're still not convinced that 8 new types of leaders is doable, start a new thread on the topic and watch the suggestions roll in.

It's definitely possible and it would add much to the game experience (that from times to times gets boring and unsurprising anyhow).

AJ
Old May 18, 2002, 11:41   #32
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:33
AJ Corp :
Maybe it's doable, but it won't be done :

Quote:
Unbalancing? Says who?
I do. A great leader is something very powerful, which doesn't happen frequently (I think the absolute record for an ultra militaristic player is 14 a game, most people have 2-3 per game). It's intended to help warmongers not to fall short in the wonder race and to have a dramatic military advantage.
What you suggest would mean any player will have dozens of leaders, and no wonder will be normally built. Plus, these leaders are predictable, which is different from the original concept (almost completely random).

Quote:
If you're still not convinced that 8 new types of leaders is doable, start a new thread on the topic and watch the suggestions roll in.
I'm a big fan of Ideas threads (not the specialized ones, the ones which compile every ideas). True, some people suggest new ideas for great leaders, but they are very rare compared to those who want a better diplomacy for example. If you want a list of ideas, go see :
- The list of Darkcloud for Civ4, begun just after Cv3 was out
- The Essential Civ3 Expansion List, handled by Korn.
If Firaxis wants to pleases the fans, they can see that more leaders is far from being the priority, compared to extended diplomacy
Old May 18, 2002, 13:42   #33
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
Where are you folks getting your information?

I'm looking at the Civ 3 official site right now and it still says 8 new Great leaders. Why do you think it means leaderheads instead of 8 new great leaders?
either way it's redundant. we know that if there are 8 new civs, there have to be 8 new leaderheads, and at least 8 new great leaders to go with those (probably 32, since have to have at least 4 GL for each new civ).
why would they post that msg if it didn't means something else? could we get a firaxian confirmation? or is it no comment?
hi ,

well , one can add leaders in the editor , so , 8 new leaders could only mean 8 new civ's , or are they gone "fruitcake" over at firaxis , ....

if its only the leader heads from the civ's you can play , well , they could have spend that time on something else , ........

talking about their site , it aint up-to-date , ........

have a nice day
Old May 21, 2002, 01:27   #34
Nostromo
Emperor

Local Time: 20:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
There is the following statement on the PTW fact sheet:

Quote:
Eight new Leaders including: Genghis Khan Temujin, King Hannibal, Queen Isabella and King Brennus will challenge your diplomatic and combat skills
Strangely, Markos doesn't say who he's quoting. But if he's quoting Firaxis, then the issue is settled IMO.
Old May 21, 2002, 01:31   #35
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Well, what do we have so far? The Spanish, Carthage, Celts, Vikings, Mongols, Korea. Anyone I'm missing that's been revealed so far?
Old May 21, 2002, 01:34   #36
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 19:33
Quote:
Originally posted by nostromo
There is the following statement on the PTW fact sheet:

Strangely, Markos doesn't say who he's quoting. But if he's quoting Firaxis, then the issue is settled IMO.
jesus, he's quoting the infogrames page here check it out. Markos isn't pulling this out of his ass.
Old May 21, 2002, 01:55   #37
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

jesus, he's quoting the infogrames page here check it out. Markos isn't pulling this out of his ass.
Its official then! The eight great leaders puzzle is solved. BTW I didn't intend to suggest that he pulled it out of his ass.
Old May 21, 2002, 03:27   #38
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by nostromo

Its official then! The eight great leaders puzzle is solved. BTW I didn't intend to suggest that he pulled it out of his ass.
haha, I didn't think so
Old May 21, 2002, 09:28   #39
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

so , now that we know who they are , ......what is the first look ....

have a nice day
Old May 21, 2002, 13:06   #40
Captain
King

So there is our answer. Apparently it was a bungle on the first press release, as many of you suggested. I had suspected it was so, (since 8 new types of leaders ia bit of a stretch) but had been holding out hope.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old May 21, 2002, 13:39   #41
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Come on guys...

8 new civs, 8 new leaders. The whole "Great Leader" bit is just a publishing hook, to get responses like this thread. The simplicity of Civ III lends itself to prove that this is always the case... it would be like saying "A completely revamped and more realistic battle engine", when in fact all they're doing is changing the values of units.