Old May 12, 2002, 02:44   #1
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Firaxis: Did you intend to auto raze Wonders?
I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but I discounted it as a bug. Besides, the fellow did not post a save.

The situation is thus: It's 1520ce and the righteous forces of enlightenment (AKA the Romans) are about to liberate Memphis from eeevil Alex and his Greek minions of doom.

Gentle Memphis is but a shadow of its former self. Most of the gentle folk have been drafted into the Greek Army of Darkness, leaving only some 13,000 citizens (1 pop) in a city once capable of completing a Wonder of the World (that cow Cleo beat me to the Great Lighthouse).

As the players enter the stage our Legions of Liberation are about to free the gentle folk of Memphis from the grasp of the evil ones. And I'll have another Wonder show up Red on F7.

But wait. As our crusading forces dispatch the last of the ghouls, we are greeted not with the no-brainer question of whether to install a governor or raze. No, we are greeted with the news that our Paladins have destroyed Memphis. Noooooooooo. This cannot be.

Never will there be that one extra Red entry in F7. We cannot believe that the Gods meant it to be so. Thus we turn our faces to the heavens and beseech great Jupiter and mighty Mars (Soren and Mike).

Oh exhulted ones. Hear the pleas of your grateful followers. Please deliver unto us our justly deserved gains of conquest errr, liberation. Please deliver unto us all of our Great Wonders so that we may polish them, and admire them, and give thanks to the Gods for their very existence, and count all the Red spots on F7.

::Maddly Munching M&Ms and washing them down with Beeerr!::

And here is the programme for our play:
Attached Files:

Last edited by notyoueither; May 12, 2002 at 02:58.
Old May 12, 2002, 03:53   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 01:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, the autoraze function depends not on wonders, but on population and culture. Since the Lighthouse was built by Cleo and Alex captured it, it didn't generate culture for Alex's Memphis anymore. Hence, autoraze. But I think, the decision not to let a wonder generate culture for conquerors is right anyway.
Old May 12, 2002, 04:17   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I thought it should have continued, because it had cultural value greater than 0 at some time in the game.

The theory behind the auto raze is to prevent the following of settlers and taking cities as soon as they are founded, right? Well I don't believe that applies to cities founded in 3000bc that have built Wonders and are occupied 4500 years later.

Dunno. Maybe you are right and this is the intention of the designers. I'll chew away at M&Ms anyway.
Old May 12, 2002, 04:25   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:33
Wouldn't the city have generated some culture for someone since its inception? That should be enough to prevent auto-razing.
Old May 12, 2002, 13:50   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Wouldn't the city have generated some culture for someone since its inception? That should be enough to prevent auto-razing.
Started out as Egyptian, taken by the Greeks which probably destroyed all improvements (or is it just cultural improvements that count re auto-raze?). It seems the Greeks never added any improvements before NYE 'liberated' it. The Greeks are usually better than that, but perhaps they were too busy with a Roman war to build anything there.

BTW, Great post, NYE!
[To make up for the small print of mine you commented on previously. If you really want to make it too small too read, try increasing the resolution on your monitor!]
Old May 12, 2002, 14:02   #6
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:33
Re: Firaxis: Did you intend to auto raze Wonders?
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but I discounted it as a bug. Besides, the fellow did not post a save.

The situation is thus: It's 1520ce and the righteous forces of enlightenment (AKA the Romans) are about to liberate Memphis from eeevil Alex and his Greek minions of doom.

Gentle Memphis is but a shadow of its former self. Most of the gentle folk have been drafted into the Greek Army of Darkness, leaving only some 13,000 citizens (1 pop) in a city once capable of completing a Wonder of the World (that cow Cleo beat me to the Great Lighthouse).

As the players enter the stage our Legions of Liberation are about to free the gentle folk of Memphis from the grasp of the evil ones. And I'll have another Wonder show up Red on F7.

But wait. As our crusading forces dispatch the last of the ghouls, we are greeted not with the no-brainer question of whether to install a governor or raze. No, we are greeted with the news that our Paladins have destroyed Memphis. Noooooooooo. This cannot be.

Never will there be that one extra Red entry in F7. We cannot believe that the Gods meant it to be so. Thus we turn our faces to the heavens and beseech great Jupiter and mighty Mars (Soren and Mike).

Oh exhulted ones. Hear the pleas of your grateful followers. Please deliver unto us our justly deserved gains of conquest errr, liberation. Please deliver unto us all of our Great Wonders so that we may polish them, and admire them, and give thanks to the Gods for their very existence, and count all the Red spots on F7.

::Maddly Munching M&Ms and washing them down with Beeerr!::

And here is the programme for our play:
hi ,

poor romans , snif , snif , ........
okay , all the city's size one are burned to the ground , because they dont want anything to fall in the hands of jupiter and his false religion , .... , .......

have a nice day
Old May 12, 2002, 14:52   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 19:33
this is why i say captured wonders should produce culture
Old May 12, 2002, 15:33   #8
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

I agree that Wonders should produce culture for the conguering, er, liberating civ AFTER a few turns . If the canadians were to invade and take Hoover dam, it would eventually become Canadian, eh.
Old May 12, 2002, 18:03   #9
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
this is why i say captured wonders should produce culture
hi ,

even if they would , the poor romans still lost a wonder , .....
the gods must be crazy , .....

have a wonder day !
Old May 13, 2002, 12:46   #10
Fitz
King

Local Time: 16:33
I thought size one cities were always razed, regardless of presence of wonders? Or am I just confusing CivIII with SMAC again?
Old May 13, 2002, 13:02   #11
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fitz
I thought size one cities were always razed, regardless of presence of wonders? Or am I just confusing CivIII with SMAC again?
hi ,

i believe that that is right , ......

of course in this case , the romans should not have starved all the people to death , ......

so much for a fast strike , .....

have a nice day
Old May 13, 2002, 13:18   #12
notyoueither
Deity

Wonders produce culture. Culture > 0 = no auto raze.

I think it is a bug in the auto raze code. Imagine the following:

Your capital gets captured. You aren't totally out of it yet, because you have allies who are at war with your enemy. So you gather your forces to retake Kingville.

Meanwhile, your nasty oppo has drafted the city down to 1 pop. Then *gasp* one of your allies takes it just before you. Boom. Gone. No joy.

I don't think that's how it's supposed to work.
Old May 13, 2002, 13:26   #13
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

I think it is a bug in the auto raze code. Imagine the following:

Your capital gets captured. You aren't totally out of it yet, because you have allies who are at war with your enemy. So you gather your forces to retake Kingville.

Meanwhile, your nasty oppo has drafted the city down to 1 pop. Then *gasp* one of your allies takes it just before you. Boom. Gone. No joy.

I don't think that's how it's supposed to work.
hi ,

roman leader , please give more details on your zip-file ,

map , version , mods , .....etc ,...;

have a nice day
Old May 13, 2002, 13:34   #14
notyoueither
Deity

Standard, Large Continents, Normal Climate, Warm Temperature, 4 Billion.

1.21. Modded to add Coracle (seems to be the learner) and Naval Air (lethal bmb at sea).
Old May 13, 2002, 14:12   #15
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Was Egypt still about? It might count the city as having no culture produced if the civ it produced culture for was destroyed.
Old May 13, 2002, 15:00   #16
notyoueither
Deity

Yes. Egypt was still going. In fact the city was on their cultural border.
Old May 13, 2002, 15:41   #17
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Not quite, as the city needs to have expanded. Thus, with the unedited setting: Culture >= 10 || Size >= 2 --> no auto raze.
Old May 14, 2002, 02:13   #18
notyoueither
Deity

I'm not positive that's the case Sir Ralph. Can you point me to where this is spelled out.

At any rate, the city once had a very large culture, as any 4500 year old core city would.

By the logic of the situation, when the enemy captures my size 1 city (I drafted) it remains intact. When I take it back the next turn, is goes poof. Intentional?
Old May 14, 2002, 02:32   #19
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 00:33
Just a quick $.02c,

From a historical point of view, I think this situation is quite realistic!! After all, aside from the Pyramids, where are all the Ancient Wonders of the World today?
In Civ2 I always thought it counter-intuative that, in-spite of all the vaguaries of warfare, and all the losses I'd suffered, all of my ancient wonders remained INTACT!!!
Can't help you with your actual question, though, NYE!!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old May 14, 2002, 03:00   #20
notyoueither
Deity

D*mn you for having a point Aussie.
Old May 14, 2002, 03:21   #21
Harovan
staff

It's nowhere spelled out, just my experience. For instance, if I make an early conquest with the intention to capture (not raze), I go for the enemy capital, since it is often the only city with any culture. Because I take the cities, it jumps several times in this process. Since the AI poprushes like mad if in trouble, I rarely get a chance to see the city size 2, so I need to wait till it generates culture. And I noticed, it doesn't suffice to go for the capital, you have to wait the 10 turns till the borders expand. If I capture the city earlier and it's still size 1, it's autorazed even though it already has a few culture points.
Old May 14, 2002, 03:31   #22
notyoueither
Deity

Ahhh, a good tid bit of information. Therefore it must be 10 before the city is protected from razing. Hence the possible bug. If it only looks at current cultural range, and not some stored 'memory' then the 'glorious' city of Paris is not protected on reconquest from the dastardly evil ones, even though it is the most significant 'city of light' in the world.

BTW. For anyone who wants to contribute to a good cause, go here and let your voices be heard.
Old May 14, 2002, 06:46   #23
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 19:33
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
Just a quick $.02c,

From a historical point of view, I think this situation is quite realistic!! After all, aside from the Pyramids, where are all the Ancient Wonders of the World today?
In Civ2 I always thought it counter-intuative that, in-spite of all the vaguaries of warfare, and all the losses I'd suffered, all of my ancient wonders remained INTACT!!!
Can't help you with your actual question, though, NYE!!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Pyramids, Great Wall, ummm... statue fo liberty, hoover damn, apollo program, seti, adam smiths, (all modern ones).

are the hanging gardens gone? i'd assume so but i would have really liked to see them.
Old May 14, 2002, 10:12   #24
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 20:33
I will often, in the process of mopping up from my ancient conquests, sit outside a city that has just become a capitol (since I "liberated" the former one) for 10 turns. Then the borders expand and I can take it instead of raze it to the ground.

Many of the ancient wonders of the world, incidentally, were destroyed via earthquakes, not conquest.

Colossus - earthquake
Great Lighthouse (Pharos) - earthquake
Tomb of Masolous - earthquake
Hanging Gardens - no one's really sure this even existed

You could say that the statue of Zeus @ Olympus was a result of conquest, as it was removed to Byzantium by the emperor, where it perished in a fire.

I forget the final fate of the temple of Artemis... and the seventh wonder escapes me entirely right now.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 14, 2002, 11:02   #25
Kilroy_Alpha
Warlord

Local Time: 16:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
... and the seventh wonder escapes me entirely right now.

-Arrian
Duh, Pyramids.
Old May 14, 2002, 11:07   #26
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
I will often, in the process of mopping up from my ancient conquests, sit outside a city that has just become a capitol (since I "liberated" the former one) for 10 turns. Then the borders expand and I can take it instead of raze it to the ground.

Many of the ancient wonders of the world, incidentally, were destroyed via earthquakes, not conquest.

Colossus - earthquake
Great Lighthouse (Pharos) - earthquake
Tomb of Masolous - earthquake
Hanging Gardens - no one's really sure this even existed

You could say that the statue of Zeus @ Olympus was a result of conquest, as it was removed to Byzantium by the emperor, where it perished in a fire.

I forget the final fate of the temple of Artemis... and the seventh wonder escapes me entirely right now.

-Arrian
hi ,

the hanging gardes did existed , ......

have a nice day
Old May 14, 2002, 11:18   #27
Harovan
staff

Quote:
By the logic of the situation, when the enemy captures my size 1 city (I drafted) it remains intact. When I take it back the next turn, is goes poof. Intentional?
Sorry, this one I overlooked: The culture is preserved for each civ. In your example, the enemy has 0 culture in the city, but YOU have. So, if you retake the city, YOU have enough culture in it to keep it from being razed.

So, in your initial post, if Cleo would have taken Memphis back, the city would still exist. But neither you nor Alex had any culture in the city. This sealed the fate of the Great Lighthouse.
Old May 14, 2002, 11:35   #28
dawidge
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
the hanging gardes did existed , ......
...but probably in Nineveh (Assyria), rather than Babylon and
about 300 years earlier.

To flesh out the list:
Colossus at Rhodes, Tomb of Mausolus at Halicarnassus, Temple of Artemis at Ephesus(the second one), and the Pharos lighthouse at Alexendria were all destroyed by earthquake.

The first temple of Artemis at Ephesus was destroyed by fire on the date of Alexander's birth.

The hanging gardens, whether at Babylon or Nineveh, fell into ruin along with their host city, whether that is by fire, flood, earthquake, or conquest is unknown (Babylon would have been by Persian conquest, I don't know about Nineveh, but that also would have fallen into Persian hands, right?). The water cost of maintaining the gardens would have been scoffed at by the conquerors and they woiuld have fallen into neglect rapidly.

The statue of Zeus at Olympus, almost destroyed by conquerors when Caligula wanted it removed to Rome so he could replace the head with his own, was relocated to a museum in Constantinople when the Christians banned non-Christian temples and icons, and later destroyed by fire when Constantinople was overrun.

The pyramids are the only ancient wonder to remain standing, although stripped of their protective layer of polished limestone (that must have been a real sight).

...can you guess what was on Discovery last night

There is also a proposal to rebuild the Colossus using the same principles employed in building the SoL, so it could survive earthquakes, high winds, etc.

Perhaps there should be some means of rebuilding "lost" wonders in CivIII?
Old May 14, 2002, 11:41   #29
LaRusso
King

the wonder was rightfully razed. too much conquering and depopulation finally results in the piece being torn down. how many WoW are still intact?
as for culture production of capture wonders, the balance of the current rule is correct. you get the benefits, but not the culture per turn. by the way, why is the number red? you get a one-off transfer of the culture produced until capture?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old May 14, 2002, 11:59   #30
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dawidge

...but probably in Nineveh (Assyria), rather than Babylon and
about 300 years earlier.

To flesh out the list:
Colossus at Rhodes, Tomb of Mausolus at Halicarnassus, Temple of Artemis at Ephesus(the second one), and the Pharos lighthouse at Alexendria were all destroyed by earthquake.

The first temple of Artemis at Ephesus was destroyed by fire on the date of Alexander's birth.

The hanging gardens, whether at Babylon or Nineveh, fell into ruin along with their host city, whether that is by fire, flood, earthquake, or conquest is unknown (Babylon would have been by Persian conquest, I don't know about Nineveh, but that also would have fallen into Persian hands, right?). The water cost of maintaining the gardens would have been scoffed at by the conquerors and they woiuld have fallen into neglect rapidly.

The statue of Zeus at Olympus, almost destroyed by conquerors when Caligula wanted it removed to Rome so he could replace the head with his own, was relocated to a museum in Constantinople when the Christians banned non-Christian temples and icons, and later destroyed by fire when Constantinople was overrun.

The pyramids are the only ancient wonder to remain standing, although stripped of their protective layer of polished limestone (that must have been a real sight).

...can you guess what was on Discovery last night

There is also a proposal to rebuild the Colossus using the same principles employed in building the SoL, so it could survive earthquakes, high winds, etc.

Perhaps there should be some means of rebuilding "lost" wonders in CivIII?
hi ,

well there was Babylon , and even Athens had its hanging gardens , there where so many city's that had them , ........

have a nice day