Old May 14, 2002, 02:39   #31
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 19:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius

So you wouldn't have drunk alkohol during the "prohibition" ?
I know I would.

PS I didn't intend to justify piracy. Piracy is theft.
I didn't know that there was prohibition in Europe, Tiberius
Old May 14, 2002, 02:57   #32
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
I didn't know that there was prohibition in Europe, Tiberius
There wasn't. This is why the US has a more powerful economy while we, europians, are mentally healthier
Old May 14, 2002, 03:07   #33
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius

There wasn't. This is why the US has a more powerful economy while we, europians, are mentally healthier

nice, very nice
Old May 14, 2002, 10:22   #34
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:34
I think software dug this hole for itself by seeking to make itself an exception to certain basic consumer laws. These vary a little from country to country (or even state to state) but for most goods you have the right to return it within a certain time frame if it is defective of not fit for purpose. Before copy protection became widespread they got exempted on the basis that copying was damaging their market. Surprise surprise this turned out not to achieve much - the ones determined to copy just clubbed together and 100 people would buy 1 or 2 copies. Then they developed copy protection to prevent the amateur copying but did not revoke their exemption.

In the UK I can still try the whole game out for free for 10 days thanks to certain companies, but it is due to their good will. Where that policy is not in place, consumers have to take a risk and shell out their cash for an untested product, which may be incompatible with thier hardware, drivers or other software, on the strength of some reviews which rarely discover much beyond the superficial about the product they examine. Civ III is a prime example. No demo. Promised a powerful editor. No reviews done in the month surrounding the release noted any significant faults, yet a significant proportion of the purchasers are now less than happy with it even after all the announced patch changes.

Some can afford to take the risk and buy all games theat look good. Sme are content to wait months before making up their mind. Some are prepared to risk the tiny chance of prosecution to download an unlawfully obtained copy. While the industry remains arrogant enough to ignore their customers pleas for opportunities to try before they buy or return if less than satisfied, I don't blame them. Too many companies have cynically tried to palm off utter junk as premium priced titles. They have no right to scream about piracy and claim the moral high ground when they pull tactics like that. Some developers may have principles but they often sign up to publishers that they know darn well do not.
Old May 14, 2002, 11:28   #35
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

While some might consider the ethics of stealing software an approporiate subject for this thread... It isn't.

Apolyton does not condone or wish to encourage criminal behavior.

So keep this thread on the topic.

If you wish to discuss the topic of stealing software and acting like a low life criminal, feel free to do so in the Off Topic Forum where that discussion belongs
Old May 14, 2002, 17:49   #36
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Ok, but MarkG started it...
Old May 15, 2002, 17:33   #37
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:34
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

I think you're missing the point of warez. Warez is not about getting everything for free, it's just, what I would call, a demo of the game. If the pirated version can grab my interest for more than 2 weeks, then it's worth buying = I'll buy it! I have too many times bought a game were the demo looks promising, but the game just ended up in the trash withing hours

Sure, there's people around who'll do anything to get it for free and then just "forget" to buy it, even after enjoying the game for years, those people I don't have anything to do with, they're just common thiefes!
You're a theif if you "borrow" something without permission.
Old May 15, 2002, 18:25   #38
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:34
ooops...hadn't read down to Ming's directive.
Old May 16, 2002, 03:57   #39
Samourai Steven
Settler

Local Time: 09:34
While Civ 2's expansion packs were new ideas added to an already great game, Civ 3's expansion pack will be old ideas forgotten in the 1st version. Sorry, but Infogrames are crooks. Damn Frenchmen!
Old May 16, 2002, 05:13   #40
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
While Civ 2's expansion packs were new ideas added to an already great game
so i guess civnet did not have MP
Old May 16, 2002, 09:03   #41
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
Quote:
While Civ 2's expansion packs were new ideas added to an already great game
Yes, CivNet had MP (or what have I been consuming so mush time with in my life? ), and I remember being mad on Microprose for taking MP away from the first version of Civ2...
Old May 16, 2002, 09:32   #42
bigvic
Prince

Gramphos, what's the status on your copy tool vis a vis 1.21? I'm out of it, I fear.

i like ibble blibble
Old May 20, 2002, 21:05   #43
Samourai Steven
Settler

Local Time: 09:34
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
Doesn't change a thing for the scenarios; and even so, they failed to deliver all that they promised. Now we're paying twice because of this failure; and they'll certainly get more money this way.
I'd prefer to pay 50$ for a full game than 30$ for the first version and 20$ for the patch, this would be honest.
Old May 20, 2002, 21:20   #44
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
they failed to deliver all that they promised
bad things happen you know. in the end, they presented you with a box. it didnt say mp, it didnt say scenarios. you could get tons of info for civ3 48 hours afters it's release and you will be able to do it for ptw too. if you think it's worth the $ they ask buy it. if not, dont but it. hopes when you start something are great when they fullfilled, but it doesnt always happen. that's what they could do, that's what they did. if you are hurt psychologically due to your faith to the company then you'd better find some other interests as well in your life. take this advice from someone who has been devoted large parts of his free time on the creations of the particular company
Old May 20, 2002, 22:22   #45
da_jaymz
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:34
I think I'll buy the damn thing, just to have it, not to play it. I don't even play original anymore until someone discovers a new combat system.
There's alot of good games coming out so I won't be bored, AoM,RoN, EE x-pack, WC 3, GICombat, AoW2, all of them with a decent combat system.