Old March 9, 2000, 04:29   #1
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:58
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Civ3: "Civer Edition"--How much would YOU pay?
When Ultima9 came out, I jumped at the chance to buy the Dragon Edition. It included a cool (old-school) cloth map, game music on a separate audio CD, "simulated leather" spellbook and manual, 8 tarrot cards, an ankh, Ultimas 1-8 on a separate disk, a letter of thanks from RG, and a HUGE box! I gladly paid $70+ for it.

[Note: The game itself was buggy, the box so damn big that stuff rolled around inside and got messy and bent, the ankh was REALLY cheap, the tarrot cards cartoony, the best of previous Ultimas unplayable under Windows, and they released an "enhanced making of U9 cd" a few weeks later instead of in the box--which pretty much ruined the experience.]

BUT...

I think a "Civer Edition" Civ3 would simply be awesome.

How much would I pay?: approximately $70-80

What would I want to see inside it?:
  • A game CD with a cool map of the world on it.
  • Civ1 and 2 on a special "Civ Collector's" CD, with the original manuals in .pdf format (only if some deal could be struck with Microprose, of course).
  • A cloth map of the world (or a great fold-out with cool historical facts and a timeline on the back).
  • A "Making of Civ3" CD which includes the music tracks and sound effects.
  • A paperback History of the World by some well-known historian.
  • I wonder how much it would cost to put in a Britannica "History of the World" or "History of War" CD in the box?
  • A pewter figurine (each box is different!). You would get one of the follwing: A globe; a phalanx; a bomber; a nuclear missile; or a settler. 1000 lucky fans would get ALL of them! Of course, each one would have "CivIII" stamped on it somewhere.
  • A letter from Sid, Jeff and Firaxis. You know, one of those simulated signature ones telling us how cool it's been working on the game and how great the Civ fans are. =)

How about you? What would you pay? What would you want in that box?
[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited March 10, 2000).]
Old March 9, 2000, 14:49   #2
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 01:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
They should include a plastic unit! And yes I think $50 is enough!

Ata
Old March 9, 2000, 18:58   #3
LordGrey
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:58
I would definitely pay $50-70 for a CD including the music (how about one with all of the Civilization music from 2 and 3?), and some nifty extra maps and literature. A random pewter figurine based on classic units would be pretty cool, too. I would want the stuff to look like they put some effort into it, though, unlike Yin26's description of parts of the Ultima special edition.
Old March 9, 2000, 19:07   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Yes, I forgot that U9 also included the previous Ultimas 1-8! (But in true form, the best of them wouldn't work under Windows and they made no effort to convert them!) But Civ1 and Civ2 on the disk would be a MUST! =)
[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited March 09, 2000).]
Old March 9, 2000, 22:05   #5
Gord McLeod
Chieftain

I wouldn't hold your breath there - remember that Microprose owns Civilization and Civilization II. There's probably not much chance they'd allow Firaxis to distribute those two games along with Civilization III.
Old March 9, 2000, 23:43   #6
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Good point. No big deal, actually.
Old March 10, 2000, 01:17   #7
pauli
Prince

i'll pay $35, and get the game cd, manual, and tech tree poster, inside a normal sized box.

however, a good figurine might get me to pay $50. i think i would prefer a settler or engineer... although an old school civ1 militia type would be fun .
Old March 10, 2000, 12:58   #8
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Gord McLeod on 03-09-2000 09:05 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath there - remember that Microprose owns Civilization and Civilization II. There's probably not much chance they'd allow Firaxis to distribute those two games along with Civilization III.
actually... Microrprose is owned by Hasbro. Hasbro will publish civ3. see where I'm going??
[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited March 10, 2000).]

Old March 10, 2000, 15:57   #9
Gord McLeod
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 03-10-2000 11:58 AM
actually... Microrprose is owned by Hasbro. Hasbro will publish civ3. see where I'm going??

It's not always that simple... but it does raise the possibility. It could happen, though I personally won't be holding my breath...
Old March 10, 2000, 19:23   #10
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Markos,

I think it's entirely possible to work something out. I know Sid's history with Microprose has a few rough spots in it, but still...
Old March 10, 2000, 20:07   #11
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

quote:

Originally posted by pauli on 03-10-2000 12:36 PM
...which versions?...do you think they would sell the civ1 spaceship as one model, or a ton of separate pieces?

The latest version running under Windows sounds good. As for the spaceship: LOL!
Old March 11, 2000, 01:36   #12
pauli
Prince

as a special edition, i can see them releasing all the games together... the question is, which versions? dos civ, win civ, civnet... civ2, civ2 gold, civ2:tot... see the problem? if they reduced all the music to mp3, then all of those might fit on one extra cd, but otherwise, it would result in a set of four.

either way, i think they should stick civ1 on the civ3 cd, just as a nice gift. duke3d shipped with the full versions of duke 1 and 2.

you know, if they were to actually go to the trouble of making good figurines, they should sell them individually too. do you think they would sell the civ1 spaceship as one model, or a ton of separate pieces?
Old April 21, 2000, 19:31   #13
MarkG

Another thread that became a poll...

POLL CLOSED, RESULTS BELOW

[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited June 27, 2000).]

Old April 21, 2000, 19:48   #14
sammyboy7

i voted without looking at the thread ( :0 ) to see if the actual game is good, and i stick with it... if the game sucks, then why should i pay an extra $20-30 bucks for it (what i would be willing to pay if it were good)
btw, the civ1 idea is good - i think the majority of civ3 buyers probably have some version of civ2, but not necessarily civ1 (at least i do )

ps. i know i'm foolish, but what does btw actually stand for? i've seen it used a lot, so i know how to use it, but i don't know what it really means...

------------------
WWAAZZAAAAAAAAAAPP!!!!
sam87@quincymail.com

I think sammyboy has the worst signiature
-the 1212 problem

(PUMPS HANDS IN AIR "RAISE THE ROOF")

DUKE RULES!!!!!

Old April 21, 2000, 19:59   #15
Bill3000
King

quote:

Originally posted by sammyboy7 on 04-21-2000 07:48 PM
ps. i know i'm foolish, but what does btw actually stand for? i've seen it used a lot, so i know how to use it, but i don't know what it really means...

btw= By the way
Old April 22, 2000, 10:48   #16
Gearyman
Settler

If I see a demo or the actual game and can tell that the game meets the Civ III expectations, then I would probably be willing to pay close to $70 for it plus the 'extras'.

Maybe we could see a separate forum on what items people would like to see in these 'extras', and then vote on them, similar to the new ideas and fixes for Civ III a few months back.

WWAAZZAAAAAAAAAAPP!!!! (back at ya sammyboy7)
Old April 22, 2000, 13:35   #17
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:58
I would expect a map of the world to be in the normal Civ3 packet. About the historic proposals, buy yourself a good history book/atlas and you've got something much better. About that Sid/Jeff letter: they're just humans, you know, not gods. Not worth the money.
Old April 22, 2000, 16:18   #18
Derek

I want to see it include a bad ass *POSTER*! Did anyone here ever buy Romance of the 3 Kingdoms 3? Inside was a big fold out poster that was the best game art EVER.

I mean it just ruled this poster was that good. I haven't played the game in 7 years, but still have the poster on my wall. One one side is a map of China, and on the other is a kind of "box art" montage of some of the more memorable characters, in striking poses, in the game.

How about it Firaxis? I can't imagine a "gamers pack" without a collectible poster!?!?

Old April 23, 2000, 00:34   #19
Kumiorava
Prince

Local Time: 19:58
How about this:

Thay could put all the games, the music, and what ever extras they could come up with on a single DVD disk, and then put a real tacky interface on it to start up your favorite version of the game, view the editors notes, watch the How-They-Did-It movie or what ever...
Old April 24, 2000, 04:59   #20
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

The point of a thank-you letter isn't that they are Gods but that it 1) Gives them a chance to thank fans and 2) Becomes part of a collectible package. However, if all these things are donely cheaply (as with UIX), then it backfires.
Old April 24, 2000, 14:09   #21
sammyboy7

thanx, bill3000
btw ( ) *picks up phone* havin a bud, watchin the game. wait... wat game are you watchin, gearyman?

Old April 24, 2000, 14:25   #22
general_charles
Chieftain

I think a map of the world would be definitely necessary in the originial package, but this kind of expansion should include maybe a map of all five continents, a few scenarios for all of them and why not some mod packs (BTW, I think civ3 should allow more easy use of MOD packs). I think for an expansion, I'll probably won't go over 35-40$.
[This message has been edited by general_charles (edited April 24, 2000).]
Old April 25, 2000, 04:04   #23
Thunderfall
Chieftain

quote:

What would I want to see inside it?:[list][*]A game CD with a cool map of the world on it.[*]Civ1 and 2 on a special "Civ Collector's" CD, with the original manuals in .pdf format (only if some deal could be struck with Microprose, of course).[*]A cloth map of the world (or a great fold-out with cool historical facts and a timeline on the back).

Instead of a cloth world map, I think a cloth Tech tree and units roster is better (and more useful). I always play on random maps anyway. :-)

------------------
Thunderfall
Webmaster of Civilization Fanatics' Center @ Strategy Gaming Online
[This message has been edited by Thunderfall (edited April 25, 2000).]
Old April 25, 2000, 10:47   #24
Roze
Settler

Yeah, love the idea and I would pay $70 for it. Specially like the idea of the pewter figures. I would also like more info, in the form of a booklet, on the Wonders. Ok, some are well known, but the war academy was new to me.
Also a decent theme pack that actually worked and didn't crash the computer would be a pleasant bonus...
Old April 25, 2000, 11:12   #25
DirkZelwis
Chieftain

Hello!
I want to buy things that are useful to me. I can't think of any good use for a pewter figurine for a computer game. I won't give a dime, on the contrary, I'd be annoyed about the stupidity.
Bye, Dirk
"Dirks and Daggers."
Old April 25, 2000, 18:24   #26
don Don

Just the thing I need... how nice.

Old April 26, 2000, 02:26   #27
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 10:58
The number one consideration is that it would have to be available at the same time the standard version is released. It ****s me up the wall when companies do stuff like this 6 months later, after all the die-hard fans have bought it in the first few weeks. This happens all the time with CDs as a marketing ploy, rather than giving extras to the real fans.

I'd be willing to pay extra for some goodies, but I want to be able to do it when I originally buy Civ3. Otherwise frustration is bound to insue!

- MKL
Old April 26, 2000, 03:21   #28
vlad
King

Local Time: 17:58
If they were smart they would issue a deluxe version 1 week before the standard one,get the retailers some cash and get the hardcore people the best product.Since Hasbro is the parent company it would more likely include a rare collectible card,like their Pokemon product. I would certainly pay high dollar for a kewl version of the game, up to $100
Old April 26, 2000, 15:43   #29
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:58
Thank the fans they can (have to) also do in the Credits.
Old April 26, 2000, 18:20   #30
Eagle Scream
Settler

A note to Civ 3 game makers,

Make a great game but don't charge too much for it. I am not a thief but I know many who are. If you charge to much for it people will just burn it. If you charge a reasonable price then people will pay for it. Possibly have a CD key to play online (such as half life does for counterstrike-Sierra game). I have my university marketing degree so if you are looking to hire marketers for this game (or any others) feel free to email me at eaglewashere@hotmail.com.

Looking forward to the game, Eagle Scream.

PS: In my humble opinion I suggest having the combat options as you have in Master of Orion 2 in the game please.