Old May 7, 2002, 10:07   #1
Cvetin
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Do girls ever play Civ3?
Have you met a person of the female civilization on this site? Do you know of a girl that plays Civ3? And if they do, do they build like the most peaceful civs and live in harmony with their neighbors, not even attacking the barbarians, or are they deceitful and egoistic and always running after more gems and silks?
Old May 7, 2002, 10:41   #2
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 01:36
I do not know how they play, but I am quite sure there are women playing civ3 on this forum.
Just wait them to answer you themselves.
Old May 7, 2002, 15:50   #3
Bella Hella
Prince

Local Time: 19:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
yes. i modded "shoes" to be a luxury resource, and i take over the countries that have gems so i can make sure my female citizens have nice diamond rings and pretty jewelry. *sigh*

of course there are females who play civ. i play all different civilizations, and go for different types of victories.

"And if they do, do they build like the most peaceful civs and live in harmony with their neighbors, not even attacking the barbarians, or are they deceitful and egoistic and always running after more gems and silks?"

no and no. i speak only for myself, but i would think other chicks play civ3 a lot like the guys do. don't be stupid.

i guess the only typically "female" thing i do in my games is pay a little more attention to how things look instead of mining the crap out of everything or placing farms on random tiles. i like things to look organized and make sense when i place cities and do terrain improvements. other than that, i just play the friggin' game.

dang, didn't we just have this same discussion on the diablo2 forums...?
Old May 8, 2002, 05:08   #4
Cvetin
Chieftain

...if you're sad and you're feelin' blue, just go out and buy a brand new pair of shoes...

no insult intended Bella, it's just that I see only boys in the internet cafes playing RTS so I was curious do girls get tha same kick out of strategy games
Old May 8, 2002, 09:58   #5
Bella Hella
Prince

it's ok, sorry if i sounded a little defensive! unfortunately, chicks get a lot of heat in the computer/video game world. it's true that there are more guy gamers than girl gamers, but we're out there. i would think strategy games would appeal more to females than a lot of other kinds of games (shoot-em-ups and so forth). i also think that "the sims" could be the advent of a new era in gaming, where games are marketed to both sexes. i wish more girls were into gaming. it will probably catch on eventually. i mean, building an empire is a hell of a lot more interesting to me than other time wasters like t.v., and i think other girls would feel the same way if they felt "included" in the gaming world.

again, sorry if i sounded like i was lashing out at you. i know you were joking!
Old May 8, 2002, 10:10   #6
Cvetin
Chieftain

now about that vegetable curry, when do I pick you up?
Old May 9, 2002, 04:16   #7
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:36
I knew it! A dating thread!

And don't anyone think that the fact that I also like my land looking cultivated rather than raped means I am less of a guy gamer.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 9, 2002, 04:26   #8
Cvetin
Chieftain

shhhhhh Mr. W

Can't you see I'm trying to score here
Old May 9, 2002, 04:31   #9
Cvetin
Chieftain

OK now I really look like a sexist pig. Sorry everybody, I'm generaly a nice guy. Anyways, can you tell me how you put that text under the line like "President of vice...." or the infamous curry invitation?
Old May 9, 2002, 09:10   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

It's in your control panel, edit profile, signature.

Old May 9, 2002, 09:22   #11
Cvetin
Chieftain

Thnx W.
Old May 9, 2002, 09:25   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

'Sawright Cv.

Old May 9, 2002, 15:25   #13
Raion
Prince

I think there is one over at the Infogames forum - secret site for Civ - I think she is going for the top game title - and in her own words - always ends up battling everyone in the game constantly throughout the entire game.

I think her name is MoonSlinger.
Old May 9, 2002, 18:13   #14
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 01:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Raion
I think there is one over at the Infogames forum - secret site for Civ - I think she is going for the top game title - and in her own words - always ends up battling everyone in the game constantly throughout the entire game.

I think her name is MoonSlinger.
Interesting.

Do you have the exact URL of this site?
Old May 10, 2002, 04:27   #15
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:36
well, there seem to be more of them in
the help section
strange, this hasn't got anything to do with parking has it??

sorry, just couldn't help myself
Old May 10, 2002, 10:10   #16
Cvetin
Chieftain

using a nation building simulation game would be a great way to check the feminist mantra that if this planet was run by women there would be no wars, hunger, sickness and SUV's. but, unfortunately there is no way to win in civ3 without using battleships and missiles. I can't get the picture of Homer Simpson out of my head, remember when he decided he was a hippy in heart and tried to stop the police from beating him by putting a flower in the barrel of a policeman's gun?
Old May 10, 2002, 13:09   #17
Bella Hella
Prince

LMAO!! actually, i've won very peacefully; elected leader of the world. i expanded quite ruthlessly in the beginning and got a hell of a lot of land. didn't START any wars but did get attacked by the romans. i got a peace treaty soon enough. i'm not sure why he decided to attack me. probably he was jealous. the romans kept building cities on the outskirts of my empire, which i would almost immediately take over because of my strong culture. my empire was the totally peaceful happy land. pollution at a minimum, lots of beautiful forests, great culture, no hunger, a minimum of military conflicts.

of course i don't always play like that. my last game i started out all friendly until the zulus built their capital almost on top of my cities! so i immediately yoinked it. *yoink* my first act of war. after that the top half of the continent was mine. the bottom was settled by the zulus and the english. all was well and very peaceful and happy with me going for a space victory until i realized that the english and germans were both stronger than me. plus the zulus had kept building cities too close to me (which i'd then acquire through culture) and elizabeth randomly declared war. being a rich b@stard, i built a ton of tanks and artillery and took over the bottom half of the continent, decimating the poor zulus and taking out half the english in the process. i admit, i did feel bad. anyway, war is fun too. but if i was actually trying to create an ideal world, of course i wouldn't want to be fighting with everybody all the time. culture, science, money and diplomacy would make everybody happier.
Old May 10, 2002, 15:09   #18
Raion
Prince

I dont know, since she, I think, is also a moderator. They list it from time to time on the main page, I guess, I found it by accident, and Infogames don't want a forum for CIV III on their forum site -- ??????.

Heck, I think she here also - Moonsinger.

Somewhere it was listed, but I could not find it now.
Old May 10, 2002, 15:12   #19
Raion
Prince

Main page only once, of forum, would not want to get in trouble.
http://ina-community.com/forums/

forumdisplay.php?forumid=208
Old May 12, 2002, 07:48   #20
Cvetin
Chieftain

of course i don't always play like that. my last game i started out all friendly until the zulus built their capital almost on top of my cities! so i immediately yoinked it. *yoink* my first act of war. after that the top half of the continent was mine. the bottom was settled by the zulus and the english. all was well and very peaceful and happy with me going for a space victory until i realized that the english and germans were both stronger than me. plus the zulus had kept building cities too close to me (which i'd then acquire through culture) and elizabeth randomly declared war. being a rich b@stard, i built a ton of tanks and artillery and took over the bottom half of the continent, decimating the poor zulus and taking out half the english in the process. i admit, i did feel bad.

Yoink bella, remind never to try to mug you in an empty alley.
My personal favourite way of dealing with enemies is to declare war on the most distant one and then pay the one closer to me to join me on a crusade against the evil... whoever. This efectively destroys their civs, since they are not building marketplaces, banks and uni's. I usually get out of an alliance after 5-10 turns. In the game I'm playing now I'm on a med sized continent which is totaly mine (the Greeks and the Chinese cities "decided" to join me). There is a huuge continent with 11 civs on it. All I did was make two of them go to war with two others and voila: 1.000 years of non stop fighting of everybody against everybody else. I'm friends with everybody and sell iron and saltpeter to most of them
Old May 12, 2002, 23:36   #21
Explorer579
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:36
I think that is an interesting question: how do females and male players of civ 3 differ? I am going to apply for a government grant to find out!
Old May 13, 2002, 04:29   #22
Cvetin
Chieftain

Whoa, which Government is that (some communist one no doubt)? Can I play too?
Old May 13, 2002, 07:39   #23
Cookie Monster
King

Let me first start off by saying this regarding this topic. I think women who play TBS games are the sexiest!

Now anyone out there have any advice for getting ones significant other interested in playing civ?
Old May 13, 2002, 08:40   #24
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:36
I think there are a couple girls over at Infogrames, but shhhh. 'Tis my home.

Moonie was the one that brought me here, you can thank her.
I think she's trying to win the high score on every game setup too. Bahhhh, I don't even have the patience to finish a game, screw getting the high score of the world.
Old May 13, 2002, 12:36   #25
Bella Hella
Prince

"how do i get my GF into civ?"
Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich

Now anyone out there have any advice for getting ones significant other interested in playing civ?
that's an interesting question, and one that's been debated a lot on various message boards that i've seen. how does a guy get his GF or DW into gaming? i don't think there's an easy answer. some chicks are just not interested at all, and never will be. don't ask me why. i don't understand some peoples' obsession with, like, soap operas as a form of entertainment, so it's only natural that some people will never understand what i consider fun.

ok. down to business. how do you get your s.o. interested in playing civ? there's no easy answer, but here are some points to consider.

- first of all, she's with you, and that's a good sign. if she at least accepts that you like civ and isn't trying to change that, you should be very "content." (yeah, i know that her actually playing would make you "happy," but you're not rioting, are you? )

- look at her personality and interests. if she's a history buff, well, she'd probably be a lot more likely to get into civ!!! one guy got his GF into playing heroes 3 through her love of fairies and dragons and fantasy stuff. if she likes sci-fi, there are tons of games out there she might be interested in. if she's competitive, try a MP game (just remember to give her a chance to learn it on her own first!!!). another favorite among girls/women, is, of course, the sims. that could be a great "starter" game.

- civ isn't the easiest game to learn, especially for someone who's never played strategy games, or computer games at all! try something a little easier to grasp for her very first game. you can't expect someone to just sit down and know how to play civ. it's really a pretty complicated game. it took my BF several days and a few startovers to finally understand what the f- was going on. he was ready to quit! so bottom line with this point is BE PATIENT. isn't there a tutorial in civ3? get her to run through it, maybe a couple times, before trying a "real" map. help ONLY WHEN ASKED. if there's one thing girls hate, it's being treated as an inferior. so don't even say anything. sit in a different chair and read a book while she's learning the game. if she has a question, answer it in as much detail as you can to make sure she grasps the concept. and speaking of grasping stuff (huh huh), UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES grab the mouse out of her hand, or i personally will come over and kick your @$$. now, it doesn't have to be that militant. if you're naturally patient, feel free to pull up a chair and watch. she might be more prone to asking questions if you do that. just don't sigh loudly with frustration when she puts a city in the middle of the tundra or roll your eyes when she asks what the little faces mean. never imply that she's stupid, and don't be patronizing! thanks.

- when/if you decide to bring this up, be tactful and polite. like instead of "why can't you be into something FUN like playing civ instead of watching stupid reruns of 'friends' on tv?", maybe you could say "it would be really cool if we could both play a game together." wanting your GF to share your interests is totally cool and fine, and it's really nice when you both like the same stuff.

- on the other hand, YOU should try to be interested in HER interests, too. this... may mean... shopping. i'm sorry. or whatever. but it really shouldn't only be HER adapting to YOU. remember that this could be held over your head at some point. "i spent all that time learning civ so we could play together, and you won't even go to ONE ricky martin show with me???" ok, i know that's worst-case-scenario, but you get the idea.

- you may have to accept that she will never, ever be interested in playing any computer games at all, period, case closed. if this is the case, there is nothing you can do about it and you should stop trying. you'll have to agree to disagree on this. sometimes you can persuade somebody who's totally resistant by bringing up a point like "i really enjoy playing this game, and it would mean a lot to me if we could do it together." you never know! but if she constantly refers to it as "that stupid computer game," you may have a problem. you should definitely get her to stop making fun of you and calling it stupid, or your relationship will probably suffer.

- a lot of girls have many reservations about games. they may consider them stupid, immature, childish, geeky, weird, a waste of time, etc. computer games have traditionally been the domain of adolecent boys and young men, and girls just don't feel included. if you feel left out, you're going to find a different way to spend your free time. the fun and excitement of gaming is lost to a lot of females forever because of preconceived notions about them (the huge-breasted female characters don't help, either - girls don't have the same "look, boobies" instincts as guys). the only way to break this trend is to keep the diologue (sp?) open. game makers, if you're out there, don't just have the boys in mind when you design a game. you're missing out on a huge female audience that likes to have fun just like the guys do.

i know this really didn't cover everything, but i'm available for questions at any time. class dismissed.
Old May 13, 2002, 12:47   #26
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

In my experience, I don't know any girls IRL that like to play games... computer, video, whatever it might be.

*Thinks for a while*

Makes me wonder what they're doing all the time...
Old May 13, 2002, 13:13   #27
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

My girlfriend is a PLAYER
My girlfriend used to play Civ2, actually we played together; Civ2 meant many-many days and nights spent together in the front of the computer! Unfortunately she doesn't really like Civ3 (she misses the spyes, the stealth fighter as it used to work, etc) so I'm playing alone now.

The funny part is that although both of us are builder/perfectionist players (we like to develop the cities and manage the workers and so on), she likes going to war more than me! I can play a game from one end to another without any war, what she finds quite boring!

Like I said she doesn't like Civ3 so lately she went back to Zeus/Poseidon and sometimes she plays Age of Empires.

Unfortunately we have only one PC at home so who can play what is sometimes a problem!

Now you tell me: am I lucky or on the contrary?
Old May 13, 2002, 13:15   #28
Jon Shafer

If you ask me, then I'd say lucky. After all, at least you have a significant other.
Old May 13, 2002, 13:23   #29
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Re: "how do i get my GF into civ?"
Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Hella

that's an interesting question, and one that's been debated a lot on various message boards that i've seen. how does a guy get his GF or DW into gaming? i don't think there's an easy answer. some chicks are just not interested at all, and never will be. don't ask me why. i don't understand some peoples' obsession with, like, soap operas as a form of entertainment, so it's only natural that some people will never understand what i consider fun.

ok. down to business. how do you get your s.o. interested in playing civ? there's no easy answer, but here are some points to consider.

- first of all, she's with you, and that's a good sign. if she at least accepts that you like civ and isn't trying to change that, you should be very "content." (yeah, i know that her actually playing would make you "happy," but you're not rioting, are you? )

- look at her personality and interests. if she's a history buff, well, she'd probably be a lot more likely to get into civ!!! one guy got his GF into playing heroes 3 through her love of fairies and dragons and fantasy stuff. if she likes sci-fi, there are tons of games out there she might be interested in. if she's competitive, try a MP game (just remember to give her a chance to learn it on her own first!!!). another favorite among girls/women, is, of course, the sims. that could be a great "starter" game.

- civ isn't the easiest game to learn, especially for someone who's never played strategy games, or computer games at all! try something a little easier to grasp for her very first game. you can't expect someone to just sit down and know how to play civ. it's really a pretty complicated game. it took my BF several days and a few startovers to finally understand what the f- was going on. he was ready to quit! so bottom line with this point is BE PATIENT. isn't there a tutorial in civ3? get her to run through it, maybe a couple times, before trying a "real" map. help ONLY WHEN ASKED. if there's one thing girls hate, it's being treated as an inferior. so don't even say anything. sit in a different chair and read a book while she's learning the game. if she has a question, answer it in as much detail as you can to make sure she grasps the concept. and speaking of grasping stuff (huh huh), UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES grab the mouse out of her hand, or i personally will come over and kick your @$$. now, it doesn't have to be that militant. if you're naturally patient, feel free to pull up a chair and watch. she might be more prone to asking questions if you do that. just don't sigh loudly with frustration when she puts a city in the middle of the tundra or roll your eyes when she asks what the little faces mean. never imply that she's stupid, and don't be patronizing! thanks.

- when/if you decide to bring this up, be tactful and polite. like instead of "why can't you be into something FUN like playing civ instead of watching stupid reruns of 'friends' on tv?", maybe you could say "it would be really cool if we could both play a game together." wanting your GF to share your interests is totally cool and fine, and it's really nice when you both like the same stuff.

- on the other hand, YOU should try to be interested in HER interests, too. this... may mean... shopping. i'm sorry. or whatever. but it really shouldn't only be HER adapting to YOU. remember that this could be held over your head at some point. "i spent all that time learning civ so we could play together, and you won't even go to ONE ricky martin show with me???" ok, i know that's worst-case-scenario, but you get the idea.

- you may have to accept that she will never, ever be interested in playing any computer games at all, period, case closed. if this is the case, there is nothing you can do about it and you should stop trying. you'll have to agree to disagree on this. sometimes you can persuade somebody who's totally resistant by bringing up a point like "i really enjoy playing this game, and it would mean a lot to me if we could do it together." you never know! but if she constantly refers to it as "that stupid computer game," you may have a problem. you should definitely get her to stop making fun of you and calling it stupid, or your relationship will probably suffer.

- a lot of girls have many reservations about games. they may consider them stupid, immature, childish, geeky, weird, a waste of time, etc. computer games have traditionally been the domain of adolecent boys and young men, and girls just don't feel included. if you feel left out, you're going to find a different way to spend your free time. the fun and excitement of gaming is lost to a lot of females forever because of preconceived notions about them (the huge-breasted female characters don't help, either - girls don't have the same "look, boobies" instincts as guys). the only way to break this trend is to keep the diologue (sp?) open. game makers, if you're out there, don't just have the boys in mind when you design a game. you're missing out on a huge female audience that likes to have fun just like the guys do.

i know this really didn't cover everything, but i'm available for questions at any time. class dismissed.
hi ,

Bella , what are your studies , .........
if only have the woman in world would do half the things ya write , ......only half , .........

then the world would be a different place , ....

so , "are there other girls / woman out there" , ....??

have a nice day
Old May 13, 2002, 13:25   #30
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Makes me wonder what they're doing all the time...
From my experience from the office:
chatting

while me, in the meantime ... (just joking, I never play at work, not even Solitaire!)