Old May 13, 2002, 19:31   #1
MosesPresley
Prince

Local Time: 19:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Freedom Force
Do any of you have this game?

I just bought it this weekend and I am having a blast. The game is extremely funny. It is in the style of the early 60's comic books and is full of campy humor. It is a squad based game with some rpg elements.

The best part is the heroes are fully customizable and tons of skinz are available. There are many, many different powers available. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to use the skins yet.

I have only two complaints against the game. It's a little short. The other is camera control. You can zoom in nicely and rotate 360 degrees, but you can't pan up. Other than that this is game is extremely fun.

I'll post a small screenshot later, if anyone is interested.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old May 13, 2002, 21:32   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sounds interesting. Post a screenie when you get the chance
Old May 13, 2002, 22:02   #3
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 00:39
I played it a bit, liked the theme and style of the game - but thought the game itself was lacking. In my opinion the gameplay is a bit too straightforward and simple, and as you mentioned, the camerca control stinks.

I did enjoy making some custom skins for it, though.

Do It Ourselves
Old May 13, 2002, 22:31   #4
MosesPresley
Prince

This is a screenshot of the character Minuteman getting ready to clobber a bad guy with a car.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	minuteman w car.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	15352  
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
Old May 13, 2002, 22:37   #5
MosesPresley
Prince

Almost everything in the environment can be used as a weapon or be
destroyed. You can swing a lamppost at someone or use a mailbox. There are a lot of options.

I agree with you Osweld, the gameplay is simple and straightforward, but as you advance your characters get more abilities. But if you want to, you can hack the game easily, (cheat code) and import superpowerful characters right from the beginning.

The character Mentor is interesting. He is physically weak, but his mind powers are good. He can confuse enemies, and although I haven't seen it yet, he gets some kind of mind beam later.

There is also a large mod community for this game, so I think this game has good legs.
Old May 13, 2002, 22:53   #6
MosesPresley
Prince

This is El Diablo shooting flames at an ice soldier who is simultaneously shooting a freeze ray back at him.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	el diablo 2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	15353  
Old May 14, 2002, 02:26   #7
MosesPresley
Prince

Last one.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ff 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	15360  
Old May 14, 2002, 06:06   #8
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:39
I thoroughly enjoyed the game and recommend it to everybody. I believe that it would have been a little better had you not been able to import custom characters into the story campaign first time around. Because their points system is not perfectly balanced its too easy (even without cheating) to create a hero capable of single handedly outperforming Freedom Force and the villains they meet. Even so, it still took me about a week of solid play to complete all the missions so I would not call it short. The lack of a random generator does mean its replay value lies in online multiplayer games only. There are amny good suggestions being put forward about how to enhance the server options to allow those games to be more effectively moderated too. Once they are done you won't get so many 30 second first-hit-wins battles between superfast high stun attack characters.
Old May 14, 2002, 08:38   #9
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 02:39
The game was ok, but I don't play it anymore, because of the lack of good MP!

But I must admit, I really loved the way they made the game, when talking about the theme, for those who's interested, then this game might be interesting: www.cityofheroes.com They use kinda the same theme, but is an online MP game instead, though I wont play it, since it requires you to pay on monthly basis
Old May 14, 2002, 09:17   #10
Grumbold
Emperor

All online games need money to cover their ongoing costs. These days advertising alone isn't enough to pay the way of game zones that just host other peoples software. When you add in dedicated teams of customer support staff plus developers bug fixing and writing more content in a far more active way than you ever get for a normal title, its understandable. I can't think of a better way for them to do it.

City of heroes looks interesting but the problem will always be in implementing the truly awkward powers like invisibility, incorporeality, stretchiness etc in such a way that there is a balance between powers, costs and protections. City of Heroes only seems to have some basic fire/ice/energy stuff properly developed. Being a MMORPG people are going to be obsessed with "balance" so the likelihood is that a level 3 anything will be able to defeat a level 2 anything which to my mind goes against the whole idea of certain heroes having weaknesses against some villains and easily able to defeat others whose powers they are resistant to.

Last edited by Grumbold; May 14, 2002 at 10:33.
Old May 14, 2002, 12:45   #11
tishco
Prince

Local Time: 00:39
how do you rotate the camera?
i have the demo and have made "microman" who is not micro as i couldnt change the mesh changed the pic. with paint but it didnt work, but the skin editing is v effective, i wrote microman on him and made his face different, looks brilliant, and the other skin that was with the demo, female, i made a clown face, looks wierd
formerlyanon@hotmail.com
Old May 14, 2002, 13:04   #12
Grumbold
Emperor

From memory you can zoom the camera from high up in the sky to up close and scroll it round the map but not actually rotate.
Old May 14, 2002, 14:08   #13
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 02:39
To rotate the camera you first need to go into options and choose something that's called free camera mode, or something like that, then just right click (in game) and move the mouse, then you'll get the idea
Old May 14, 2002, 14:22   #14
MosesPresley
Prince

tishco:

Go to options. Check camera rotate. When in the game hold down the "alt" key and move the mouse. It isn't listed on the controls config screen, but it is in the manual. Another way is to hit "z", which zooms to the character and then move the mouse to the edge of the screen to rotate.

Grumbold:

Did you use the pregenerated characters for your first game?
Old May 15, 2002, 05:39   #15
Grumbold
Emperor

I made my own character after a few missions and he ripped through parts of the plot that would have been a challenge for FF. Once you've started getting attached to your homemade hero you don't want to leave him on the bench so you tend to keep using him. Thats why I know it wasn't a good idea, unless you make a hero of similar strength to the ones already made for you
Old June 4, 2002, 18:30   #16
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I just thought that some of the people here would be interested to know that the actor that did the voice for Minuteman and other character has offered to do voicework for fan made mods.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club