Old May 5, 2001, 23:53   #1
Sparky
Warlord

Local Time: 19:59
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Location: DC, Cleveland, Charlotte, Cimarron. Take your pick!
Civ 'n SMAC
Since dinosaurs is gone, do you think Sid will still try some kind of sweep of time game? Any mention whether he's still planning to intertwine the Civ3 and SMAC? I think it would still be a great idea.
Old May 6, 2001, 00:53   #2
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 16:59
Thank you for asking that question, Sparky! I was wondering the same thing. As a matter of fact, I did a search of the Forum and found little information, especially now that Dino has gone the way of the dodo. If anyone knows, any response, or even speculation is most welcome.

------------------
"When you have to shoot - shoot, don't talk." -Tuco Benedicto Juan Ramirez
Old May 7, 2001, 20:07   #3
tniem
King

The whole sweep of time thing was simply a Publicity thing. There was no way they were going to be able to play test three seperate games and get you to play a game from dinos to space and make it make any sense. I don't care how great you think Sid is even he can't do that.

So with the death of Dinos, I guess its the death of the marketing tool known as the Sweep of Time Series.
Old May 7, 2001, 20:19   #4
Roman
King

Local Time: 00:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think tniem is right. Sweep of time trilogy is probably out. Not that it bothers me in any way - I wouldn't have bought the Dino game no matter what anyway (Dinosaur strategy game ? - No, thank you.) and I don't have particular love for future oriented games (ie. SMAC) either.
Old May 8, 2001, 18:21   #5
SerapisIV
King

About the Sweep of Time idea, why do the games have to be tied? The just have to be connected by the idea of past, present, future. Does anyone really think that Dino and Civ3 were going to somehow be connected? Civ3 and SMAC don't have to be connected at all. The idea is of an alternative history (sort of like the Marvel, "What if" comic books). Besides, by the very nature of a Civ game, there is no guarantees that the game will end with the Alpha Centauri ending, you could just as likely conquer the world around the time of railroads, Civ3 and SMAC are connected by the idea of "what if" we as the human race destroyed earth but a small group got out? A further thought is I'm confident that Sid will go back either to Dinos (sid wrote that it took a couple of fresh starts before a Civil War game ever got made) or towards making a MOO type game where the "Sweep of Time" trilogy is still possible.
Old May 10, 2001, 20:27   #6
Pedrun
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Maybe dino couldnt be connected but it would be nice if the CivIII endgame was: build and send a spaceship( like civII) with colonizers to Alpha Centauri.
Old May 10, 2001, 20:32   #7
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 20:59
Either that or something very similar will be included, Pedrun. The military victory is still there (duh), as well as a new diplomatic victory. (Isn't there an economic type thingy too?)

Sabre

------------------
"We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything."
-Thomas A. Edison
Old May 10, 2001, 21:36   #8
tniem
King

What if the new sweep of time thing goes like this...

1. Civ III
2. Sim Golf - to many people are playing golf for the world to survive, soon world wars come because of who has the best course
3. SMAC