Old May 20, 2002, 06:53   #121
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 02:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Assur
The Pals can go to hell for cheering and celebrating when thousands of people were dying in the WTC towers (and for blowing up teenagers and grandma's too)
Although it still possbile that that news was just fabricated war propaganda.
Old May 20, 2002, 07:24   #122
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 01:41
Yeah, just like the moonlanding
Old May 20, 2002, 10:52   #123
GeneralZosh
Settler

Local Time: 00:41
Zylka?
Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
I agree...
Zylka..if that is your real pic....will you marry me?
Old May 20, 2002, 11:21   #124
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

I don't like neo nazis
Don't you (international Apolyton posters) take offense out of Assur's postings:

his signature is signed : Vlaams Blok.

This signature referres to a fascist Belgian political fraction, a fraction that was/is in awe of Hitler and that none of the other fractions even wants to cooperate with ...

Assur, if you could think for yourself you should have realized that the Palestinian people 'cheering after the WTC debacle' were just fugitives in fugitive camps, meaning: no money, no prospects, no future whatsoever due to the non compliance by Israel to UN-commands and the support Israel gets for not listening to world opinion by the USA. I'm curious how you would react if you were in their shoes.

If you could die any moment (is that an exageration from the view of a Palestinian fugitive?), you would applaud too if you (although incorrectly) find your 'enemy' is being attacked.

Fugitives didn't get any education you know, they're dependant on feelings of the injustice that was inflicted on them. Right now they just hate Israel and the USA, wouldn't you from their point of view?

BTW, the reaction by certain Palestinian refugees is certainly non representative for the whole Palestininan people.

So Assur, 50 years ago you and your alikes hated the Jews.
Now the muslims should 'be terminated' I suppose?

Mind you fellow Apolyton posters, the 'Vlaams Blok' fraction is popular in certain cities of Belgium due to the 'own people first' and 'muslims must be transportated back to their mother country' slogans.

Assur (strangely chosen name though) definitely is a RACIST.

You're already polluating my country and my home city, please don't polluate these forums anymore.

AJ
Old May 20, 2002, 11:26   #125
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7

No, I don't. What exactly is your point as it applies to this topic?
OK, its kind of off topic as I picked in on a remark of a fellow poster,

but my point is that words such as 'racist' and 'terrorist' are more and more used incorrectly and for political purposes.
There ARE dangerous terrorists of course, but the problem is that certain nations now are referring to whoever disagrees to their side of the story as 'racists' or 'terrorists'.

You just don't fool me, propagandists!

AJ
Old May 20, 2002, 11:33   #126
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

It is NOT exagerrated; it is 100% accurate.

To the Zionists, EVERY Palestinian is a "terrorist".
It's a shame, but:

it's very true.

I'm talking by own experiences that far too many zionist/religious orthodist Jews are very fundamentallistic in their views on Palestinians and muslims.

They're definitely co-responsible for the severe violence in that region (daring to settle more and more on Palestinian grounds, even when prohibited by international laws!).

AJ
Old May 20, 2002, 12:41   #127
August Borms
Prince

>Don't you (international Apolyton posters) take offense out of Assur's postings:

I seriously doubt that anyone who has visited the OT forum would be offended by my post

>his signature is signed : Vlaams Blok.

>This signature referres to a fascist Belgian political fraction, a fraction that was/is in awe of Hitler and that none of the other fractions even >wants to cooperate with ...

I think you're being a little hysterical here. In what way is the Vlaams Blok a fascist party? When have they ever been "in awe of Hitler"?

> If you could die any moment (is that an exageration from the view of a Palestinian fugitive?), you would applaud too if you (although >incorrectly) find your 'enemy' is being attacked.

If I were a Pal it would sadden me. Maybe you would be dancing in the streets but that's just me.

>Fugitives didn't get any education you know, they're dependant on feelings of the injustice that was inflicted on them. Right now they just hate Israel and the USA, wouldn't you from their point of view?

That is still no excuse to celebrate the death of thousands of innocent civilians.

>So Assur, 50 years ago you and your alikes hated the Jews.

And now it is you and your alikes that hate jews, burning down synagogues, Jewish shops and assaulting Jews on the streets.

Just like 64 years ago...

>Now the muslims should 'be terminated' I suppose?

You seem to put quite alot of words in my mouth...

>Mind you fellow Apolyton posters, the 'Vlaams Blok' fraction is popular in certain cities of Belgium due to the 'own people first' and 'muslims must be transportated back to their mother country' slogans.

Since when is 'muslims must be transportated back to their mother country' a VB slogan?!
They do want to deport criminal immigrants though - regardless of religion, this is done in Italy too IIRC.

>Assur (strangely chosen name though) definitely is a RACIST.

I don't believe any "race" is superior or that "race" has an effect on personality. Why am I a racist again?

>You're already polluating my country and my home city, please don't polluate these forums anymore

Antwerp 1/3
Old May 20, 2002, 12:55   #128
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Quote:

Antwerp 1/3
That means that the other 2/3 still has brains Assur, and still is ...

WINNING !

AJ
Old May 20, 2002, 13:46   #129
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Local Time: 16:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: I don't like neo nazis
Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR
If you could die any moment (is that an exageration from the view of a Palestinian fugitive?), you would applaud too if you (although incorrectly) find your 'enemy' is being attacked.

Fugitives didn't get any education you know, they're dependant on feelings of the injustice that was inflicted on them. Right now they just hate Israel and the USA, wouldn't you from their point of view?
AJ
Yep, 100% agree. Like I said at the time: If we woke up and found that Ossama bin Ladden's head had been presented to George Bush on a pike, would there not be chearing in American streets?

Remember the World Trade Center
Old May 20, 2002, 14:29   #130
August Borms
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR

That means that the other 2/3 still has brains Assur, and still is ...

WINNING !

AJ
But that doesn't mean that those 2/3 are against the VB.
Infact, the majority is against the cordon sanitaire according to a GVA poll.
Old May 20, 2002, 14:31   #131
bigvic
Prince

Local Time: 19:41
This is looking kind of played out to me. Captain?! Captain, your ship has sprung a leak, I think.

i like ibble blibble
Old May 20, 2002, 19:12   #132
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by bigvic

You seem like a real ok hombre, captain, so sorry if i sounded dismissive or harsh. I'm a member of that much reviled ethno-gender subgroup so often blamed for all the world's ills, white southern male.
sorry if it seemed like I was pointing the finger, that wasn't my intent. you've hit the nail on the head, there gets to be a point when the majority gets sick of being put through guilt and blame. the trouble is that point gets reached far before the minorities get to the point of belonging, acceptance, and equality.

Quote:
I'm a democrat and a Buddhist. I lived in Latin America for a year and am currently getting divorced from a Latina, dating a Thai/African American (hopefully) and really don't think of myself as a racist.
no, I wouldn't say you are, anymore than ALL people are. (everyone has certain preferences, it's part of being human, and in that sense, it would be absurd to claim we're colour blind anymore than we could claim we're gender blind - still our aims are to move towards a state of mind where we can, as fatally idealistic as that is). i'd say most folks here are not racist consciously, but like all people, have certain biases that lead to see the world through particular views and be unaware of it. I definitely continue to struggle with it (for instance, recently learning that in certain non-western cultures making eye contact is considered disrespectful whereas here we think avoiding eye contact indicates dishonesty, innocent assumption but it is racist) but that's just a matter of awareness and being honest with ourselves. it's the large number of unrepentant racists out there that still disturbs me.

Quote:
BTW, I hate running through the "this is why I say I'm not a racist" litany as I find it somewhat pretentious and, well, sort of compensatory when i hear others do the same. But , being a member of the ethnogender I am, unfortunately b/c of other's preconcieved notions (and my own South Carolina perverseness), I find myself having to defend my attitudes in this matter all too often. No prob. Not complaining. Life ain't fair, you know and no need to get bent out of shape, I tell myself.
true, I didn't intend a huge fuss. but i got very annoyed when told racism wasn't worth bothering about. you know, it only takes one experience with being suspected of getting a job because you're a visible minority to burn that into your mind. maybe you've even experience it too? it's in these cases, that we both lose out. we're really fighting for the same thing.

Quote:
Anyway, what bothers me about this thread is that I really don't think oversensitive searching for shades of intolerance and racism is productive in the long run. for anyone. Members of dominant ethnogenders tend to weary and turn defensive, others get worked up, and energy spent on chasing ghost racism could be used dealing w/ the real deal, where found.
right. I just don't see it as oversensitive. it may not be an issue for some people, but it is for others. I don't think it's fair to dismiss it for someone else. if I don't find something important enough to talk about, then I don't say anything and I let those concerned be. check my post history, I try not to interject unless I'm interested. there's no need to be discouraging.

Quote:
Faces do change over time. I see it everyday, even down here in the deep south. I teach at a school next to a military installation and see the true melting pot every day. Fact is, in the US, most "black" people are not really black at all, descended from europeans as well as native americans in addition to africans. Many people who we in the states look at and say "He/she's black" would not be seen as such in many parts of the world, since this idea of someone who looks even remotely African being "black" is a legacy of deep racism itself. As far as that goes, more white people here than might want to admit it (still) have african blood in them. In the old days, when being white was a definate preference socially speaking, if a very light skinned mulato could pass for white, what stopped hm/her from moving 200 miles away and assuming a new ethnic ID? Nothing. Then, throw in all the non "black" and "white" people who live and always have lived here, and racial distinctions become even more meaningless.
Take a walk from Scandinavia to the Congo, taking ferries, of course where needed. Is there a point where, on one side of a national border people are white, and on the other they are black? Try the same thing from England to China. Is there somewhere where all of a sudden race changes, poof!? Of course not. Take, for that matter a very light skinned american black, put him/her in between a blond fair skinned person and a very dark african, and ask skippy the alpha centaurian alien which "race" the light skinned american black belongs to. What would the alien say, lacking the culturally preconcieved notions many of us have?
you're right. the thing is, by the late game,everyone in my cities doesn't look like a NEW mixed type of person, they look exactly the same despite assimilating millions of foreigners (and supposing they intermarried, then they should look different. it was the fact that they look all the same that led me to the conclusion that we wiped out the descendents of foreign nationals)
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old May 20, 2002, 19:18   #133
Captain
King

Re: you know, i think you missed something
Quote:
Originally posted by Whoha
You see, this isn't an issue, and theres a reason: the game straight jackets you into a game of raze the city. I myself havent seen a city assimilate foreigners because I burn them to the ground, and enslave the survivors. THAT is the fairly poorly hidden racist agenda, though I expect it will have changed, havent played since 1.17f.
you are correct!
razing is overly encouraged because garrisoning is too much trouble. totally in opposition to firaxis' stated aims of a less warlike game. (I should note that playing the good guy should be tougher as IRL.)

Quote:
The uu concern is non issue, impis and mws are awesome hands down, and in multiplayer they will really shine. What better resource denier is there then the impi? or say, a stack of 10 of them. Also notice how england,france, and America get shafted into having crappy uus.

However, this, like the top one may just be poor game balance issues that will be resolved.
no, the type of uu isn't what I have a problem with, it's the predestination of saying certain civs are this way or that. i much prefer it to be based on where your civ finds itself concentrating its efforts. building a big navy? you get better ships with experience. building a lot of horsemen to cross the deserts, you get a bonus movement or whatever. in fact i would have absolutely no problem with uu's being assigned based on dynamic play style, instead of at the start of the game.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old May 20, 2002, 19:23   #134
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
Why did you play the race card Captain?

are you trying to bait me?
is this a genuine question not intended to insult everything I've written as merely playing the race card?

did you even read anything I wrote?
i tried to give my reasons there. if you still think it's playing a race card, instead of a genuine attempt to point something out and offer an alternative solution that would make some people happier with the atmosphere of the game, then fine. it's up to you to make such decisions. you can find something useful and positive, maybe learn a little from it and contribute your point of view to the discussion, or you can ignore it. but don't bait me. it works too often
Old May 20, 2002, 19:29   #135
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X
The mods must be sleeping But I guess as long as it don´t turn into a flame war Ming keeps his finger off the lock-button.
well, it was an on-topic discussion. we were talking about civ 3, it was a game concept of assimilation, and what it meant to different people.
I saw it one way, and found it in opposition to my beliefs. others saw it another way, and if I could see it the same way, I wouldn't have a problem with it. so maybe a graphic change would have been all that was necessary, even if it led to tokenism.
we got sidetracked, but i won't go into that. readerso fthe thread can see that for themselves, and so can the mods.
i think, though, at this point, we've gotten so sidetracked that we're no longer on topic.
so if the mods want to close this thread, I think now would be a good time.
besides, closing threads tends to attract more viewers, no?
Old May 20, 2002, 19:40   #136
Captain
King

Quote:
This is looking kind of played out to me. Captain?! Captain, your ship has sprung a leak, I think.
Well, I hope I don't have to go down with the ship!
Old May 20, 2002, 19:43   #137
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 00:41
Dude - just chill. Everyone's getting far too worked up about this. Jews, Palatinians, terrorists, rascists...take it easy guys
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 20, 2002, 20:01   #138
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
true, I didn't intend a huge fuss. but i got very annoyed when told racism wasn't worth bothering about.
Actualy, you are being told that racisim isn't happening in the game. There is a big difference between "racism isn't worth bothering about", and "you are getting all worked up over somthing that isn't happening...

Quote:
you're right. the thing is, by the late game,everyone in my cities doesn't look like a NEW mixed type of person, they look exactly the same despite assimilating millions of foreigners (and supposing they intermarried, then they should look different. it was the fact that they look all the same that led me to the conclusion that we wiped out the descendents of foreign nationals)
It is absurd to belive that _any_ civilization would retain identical racial characteristics through 8000 years of history, but in Civ they do. This is not indicitive of racism, or a refection of their actual belives, but just a refection of information that the player needs and an atempt to get it to the player.

Old May 20, 2002, 20:32   #139
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Cory

Actualy, you are being told that racisim isn't happening in the game. There is a big difference between "racism isn't worth bothering about", and "you are getting all worked up over somthing that isn't happening...

It is absurd to belive that _any_ civilization would retain identical racial characteristics through 8000 years of history, but in Civ they do. This is not indicitive of racism, or a refection of their actual belives, but just a refection of information that the player needs and an atempt to get it to the player.
fair enough. why don't we end it there? if anything happens to be done to show a more pluralistic society in game, good for some of us, and not troubling for the rest of you. I shan't trouble you with my perspective regarding this thread any longer. I think this thread was of some benefit for some people, but it's lived out its usefulness. cheers and happy civving to all!
Old May 20, 2002, 20:49   #140
bigvic
Prince

Yeah captain, I respect your opinion and all, but i just don't think there is a racist element in CIv III. Yeah, I know, everyone has preconcieved notions and all that, but I don't think the firaxis team even thought about this, and if they did, any racist overtones were the result of sloth, not malevolence. Anyhoos, kudos to the sense of righteousness and desire to justice, but be careful - for two reasons.

1. Don't become a crusader. Although motivated by lofty, compassionate ideals, the crusader's lack of wisdom can in the long run cause more harm than good. Keep the hand of compassion firmly in the hand of wisdom. One mistake a crusader might make is to find evil where it is not, or exagerate it, causing unnecesary discomfort at the least.

2. I assume you are of European descent (have I missed something?). Don't fall into that trap of bemoaning all the awful things your dead ancestors did to other people's dead ancestors. The world is replete w/ injustice and always has been, and in ages past when life was much shorter and more brutal (as it still is in many places outside the "developed" world) regardless of the nostalgia myth, people were far more ready to do things to other people that those of us blessed enough to live in the comfort of the developped world now, would never tink seriously of doing. What am I trying to say?
a. If the Chinese, Zulu, Japanese, Indians, Iroqois, Aztecs, Egyptians, Babylonians, or Persians had acheived the technological level of Western Europe first, knowing HUMAN (not any specific racial group) nature, do you really think it would have been terribly different?
b. So please don't become a sniveling self loathing masichistic white boy. No one likes that. See the whole picture and be careful about judgements, including judging yourself, especially for things you did not do.

Of course be compassionate. Understand the effects of evil are often long lived. Yes, people make shallow judgements sometimes based on trivialities like physical diferences and yes, most people feel comfortable around similar people, but this is to a very large extent natural hardwiring, not necisarily terribly significant.

i like ibble blibble

Last edited by bigvic; May 20, 2002 at 20:57.
Old May 21, 2002, 17:12   #141
Captain
King

Quote:
Yeah captain, I respect your opinion and all, but i just don't think there is a racist element in CIv III. Yeah, I know, everyone has preconcieved notions and all that, but I don't think the firaxis team even thought about this, and if they did, any racist overtones were the result of sloth, not malevolence. Anyhoos, kudos to the sense of righteousness and desire to justice,
Thank you bigvic, i appreciate your response. I do agree with you, I only take a harder line because it does feel like I am in the minority of those who do care. It is too easy for the majority to silence the minority of voices speaking out. History has shown this as the primary way the status quo is maintained. I feel as though someone has to be willing to stand up to the majority of naysayers and say "listen, please take a minute to consider this. it is important to some people and if you would only think about it for a while, you would see how little it costs you to be supportive and how damaging it is when you try to silence someone else". And I do see some responses as being harsh enough to discourage some others who would otherwise speak out. I've taught in classrooms before and one of the things hardest for a teacher to realize is how much a student fears to speak their mind. if it's not fear of the teacher, it's fear of their peers. one of the greatest challenges is getting a child to ask a question when they don't understand. learning is not worth the embarassment of appearing stupid. raising an issue in class is not worth risking your group acceptance. who will raise the question of America's response to 9/11 in a classroom? no one dares when the authorities and the majority will shout you down.
this is not a classroom, but the phenomenon remains. when you make it clear that some opinions are unwelcome, only the firmest in their convictions will remain steadfast if at all. the rest who may have had something to say in support will be cowed by fears of rejection and the need for acceptance. Someone needs to stand up, and hopefully by example, show others that they needn't be afraid of the crowd, because the crowd is not homogenous. They are not alone. There are many others who agree with them but are just as silenced. Sometimes it takes a Terry Malloy (On the Waterfront, 1954).

Quote:

but be careful - for two reasons.

1. Don't become a crusader. Although motivated by lofty, compassionate ideals, the crusader's lack of wisdom can in the long run cause more harm than good. Keep the hand of compassion firmly in the hand of wisdom. One mistake a crusader might make is to find evil where it is not, or exagerate it, causing unnecesary discomfort at the least.
You show great insight here, and I take your advice in consideration. I don't always know if what I am doing is the best thing, but I hope you can understand my reasons a little better now. I am just trying to do what I think is right.

Quote:
2. I assume you are of European descent (have I missed something?).
Why would you assume that?

I have posted somewhere on these forums, a long time ago, indications as to my ethnic heritage and you can find that if you're curious enough. But I won't say yes or no or give any more indications here. I would not want to "colour" some people's image of me. While I do live in Canada, we are from the world over and often mixes of many.

Quote:
Don't fall into that trap of bemoaning all the awful things your dead ancestors did to other people's dead ancestors. The world is replete w/ injustice and always has been, and in ages past when life was much shorter and more brutal (as it still is in many places outside the "developed" world) regardless of the nostalgia myth, people were far more ready to do things to other people that those of us blessed enough to live in the comfort of the developped world now, would never tink seriously of doing. What am I trying to say?
a. If the Chinese, Zulu, Japanese, Indians, Iroqois, Aztecs, Egyptians, Babylonians, or Persians had acheived the technological level of Western Europe first, knowing HUMAN (not any specific racial group) nature, do you really think it would have been terribly different?
b. So please don't become a sniveling self loathing masichistic white boy. No one likes that. See the whole picture and be careful about judgements, including judging yourself, especially for things you did not do.
Very true. but I do need to see what has happened in the past to understand how things go the way they are today. For example, it is true that a disproportionate number of blacks are in jail in the US. Does that mean they have worse morals? We need to see that they also do worse economically. Is that because they're bad business people? They also do do worse in schools and attend less school. Is that because they're more stupid? whites do have certain privileges, unearned, over blacks. It would be a denial of reality and racist to attribute the worse socio-economic conditions to the poor innate charateristics of blacks. For there to be justice in this world, we do have to do something to correct past injustices. We can't give back the years of slavery, but we can focus more energy and resources into education and opportunities for blacks. Unfair? Yes. But the playing field was never fair to being with. We are only trying to bring them to the same place that whites already are at through nothing more than their unearned privileges. It is not self-loathing, it is not about revenge, or even trying to correct a past wrong. It is simply trying to make a better future by being aware of the past.

Quote:
Of course be compassionate. Understand the effects of evil are often long lived. Yes, people make shallow judgements sometimes based on trivialities like physical diferences and yes, most people feel comfortable around similar people, but this is to a very large extent natural hardwiring, not necisarily terribly significant.
Everything you wrote was true, but I take issue with the last four words. Not necessarily terribly significant? when you are the only one of your ethnocultural group in the class, the workplace, the social event, and the rest of the people feel more comfortable around similar people and making shallow judgements about you based on your physical differences, and you find yourself on the outside looking in, that's significant. I worked at a school where I saw such things, and believe me, it does a great deal of harm. Very significant.
Old May 21, 2002, 17:29   #142
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Quote:

Well, actualy, they didn't, and "Andrew Cory" isn't as much my real name as "Kamrat X" is yours. *grin* Ain't the Web great?
When someone names himself "Andrew Cory" one could easily assume this is his real name. Like MarkG or DanQ...

Quote:
The problem is that if you give a man a fish every day for a year, he becomes dependant upon you. Simply giving money away doesn't do much (ask the sweeds about how much better off the Kenyens are with all the aid the swiss have sent them.) That isn't to say that they don't work hard-- they do. But hard work doesn't nessicarily equal wealth. the only thing that will allow under-developed nations to develop is bringing them into the world market. That won't happen just by tossing money at them. No one seems to have come to a better conclusion as to how to fix the problem, however...
I beg to differ. The redistribution of wealth won´t make people dependent, it just evens out the differences. Then the world trade can be dealt with in a more equal fashion. I´m by no means an adversary to free trade, I just have another definition of "free"
Old May 21, 2002, 17:33   #143
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Quote:

The Pals can go to hell for cheering and celebrating when thousands of people were dying in the WTC towers (and for blowing up teenagers and grandma's too)
This was footage from a completely different occasion, and Associated Press admitted this IIRC.
Old May 21, 2002, 17:39   #144
Zoid
inmate

Quote:

well, it was an on-topic discussion. we were talking about civ 3, it was a game concept of assimilation, and what it meant to different people.
I saw it one way, and found it in opposition to my beliefs. others saw it another way, and if I could see it the same way, I wouldn't have a problem with it. so maybe a graphic change would have been all that was necessary, even if it led to tokenism.
we got sidetracked, but i won't go into that. readerso fthe thread can see that for themselves, and so can the mods.
i think, though, at this point, we've gotten so sidetracked that we're no longer on topic.
so if the mods want to close this thread, I think now would be a good time.
besides, closing threads tends to attract more viewers, no?
This whole thread has turned into several discussions which are now not even remotely aquainted to the original topic, I´ll suppose I´m as much to blame for this as anyone else...
Old May 21, 2002, 17:51   #145
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Quote:
When someone names himself "Andrew Cory" one could easily assume this is his real name. Like MarkG or DanQ...
Fair enough. There is a long story behind this name, but it isn't worth the telling. I tend to keep it because I am actualy rather well known on certain parts of the web, and if someone sees a post by me, they might want to know that it _is_ me...

Quote:
I beg to differ. The redistribution of wealth won´t make people dependent, it just evens out the differences. Then the world trade can be dealt with in a more equal fashion. I´m by no means an adversary to free trade, I just have another definition of "free"
When I read the phrase "redistribution of wealth", I commonly infer it to mean "hand piles of cash to everyone". This causes the problems that I refered to. If you mean somthing else by it, please let me know...

BTW: have you ever taken an economics class?

Old May 21, 2002, 18:02   #146
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Quote:
History has shown this as the primary way the status quo is maintained. I feel as though someone has to be willing to stand up to the majority of naysayers and say "listen, please take a minute to consider this. it is important to some people and if you would only think about it for a while, you would see how little it costs you to be supportive and how damaging it is when you try to silence someone else".
Just because we are rolling our eyes at you, and you are in the minority, doesn't mean that you are right.

Quote:
Very true. but I do need to see what has happened in the past to understand how things go the way they are today. For example, it is true that a disproportionate number of blacks are in jail in the US. Does that mean they have worse morals? We need to see that they also do worse economically. Is that because they're bad business people? They also do do worse in schools and attend less school. Is that because they're more stupid? whites do have certain privileges, unearned, over blacks. It would be a denial of reality and racist to attribute the worse socio-economic conditions to the poor innate charateristics of blacks.
*sigh* It is true that for a long time, the African-American population was oppresed. It is also true that there is less racism in America Today than is commonly thought. Many of the issues you speak of (large population in jail, lower economic status, worse performance in school, etc) stem not from current racism that exists today, but rather that often within these groups success is seen as treason to the group. Don't take my word for it, compare how well African-Americans do as a group to how well recent African immagrents to the US do. Many of the problems African-Americans face are internaly imposed, not externaly...

Old May 21, 2002, 18:45   #147
Captain
King

Quote:

Just because we are rolling our eyes at you, and you are in the minority, doesn't mean that you are right.
What are you trying to say?
Would it be helpful for me to say that just because you are in the majority, that you are not necessarily right either?
let the arguments speak for themselves. I only hope to provide a counterweight to the push of the majority.

Quote:

*sigh* It is true that for a long time, the African-American population was oppresed. It is also true that there is less racism in America Today than is commonly thought. Many of the issues you speak of (large population in jail, lower economic status, worse performance in school, etc) stem not from current racism that exists today, but rather that often within these groups success is seen as treason to the group. Don't take my word for it, compare how well African-Americans do as a group to how well recent African immagrents to the US do. Many of the problems African-Americans face are internaly imposed, not externaly...
I don't think you can separate the factors. External and internal are intertwined. Attitudes are learned. If one is a slave, one learns to behave like a slave. The mindset of a slave is one that is conditioned by being born into it and having it impressed from every side. It is an attitude that is often passed down from generation to generation. Admittedly a culture of victimhood can prevail, but surely you can see that it has it's origins in genuine victimhood? Thus, there is a role for compensatory actions to play. symbolically and pragmatically, it can help lead out of the cycle if those inside are willing. I do not lay the blame on one side only. But the work is never finished. Let's not deceive ourselves into thinking that we've arrived.

As an aside, I am quite surprised the mods have not shut this thread down as it is just barely hanging onto the original thread, and not even discussing civ 3 anymore.
Old May 21, 2002, 18:48   #148
August Borms
Prince

Quote:

This was footage from a completely different occasion, and Associated Press admitted this IIRC.
CNN did not air decade-old footage of Palestinians dancing in the streets. Eason Jordan, CNN's Chief News Executive, confirmed that the video used on CNN was in fact shot on Tuesday, 11 September 2001, in East Jerusalem by a Reuters TV crew, not during the Persian Gulf conflict of 1990-91 -- a fact proved by its inclusion of comments from a Palestinian praising Osama Bin Laden (whose name was unlikely to have come up ten years earlier in connection with the invasion and liberation of Kuwait) as well as the appearance in the video of post-1991 automobiles. The person who made the claim quoted above has since recanted.

(The argument that the footage CNN used could not possibly be real because it showed Palestinians in broad daylight not long after the attack -- even though Palestinian territory is several time zones ahead of New York -- is not valid. Eastern Daylight Time in the United States is six hours behind the area of the Middle East referred to as Palestine. Thus, when the first attack occurred in New York just before 9:00 A.M., Palestine time would have been 3:00 P.M., and the area would still have been bathed in plenty of mid-afternoon sunlight.)

Reuters, the international news agency whose camera crew shot the footage, issued the following statement:

Reuters rejects as utterly baseless an allegation being circulated by e-mail and the Internet claiming that it circulated 10-year-old videotape to illustrate Palestinians celebrating in the wake of the September 11 tragedies in the United States.
Reuters welcomes a statement by the Universidad Estatal de Campinas-Brasil (UNICAMP), one of whose students was the author of the original e-mail, setting the record straight.

The videotape in question was shot in East Jerusalem by a Reuters camera crew on September 11 in the immediate aftermath of the attacks on the United States. The footage was broadcast by CNN and other subscribers to the Reuters video news service.

http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/cnn.htm
Old May 21, 2002, 19:26   #149
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Quote:
not during the Persian Gulf conflict of 1990-91 -- a fact proved by its inclusion of comments from a Palestinian praising Osama Bin Laden (whose name was unlikely to have come up ten years earlier in connection with the invasion and liberation of Kuwait)
Beyond that, as the palistinians sided with Sadam durring the second persian gulf war, and that the liberation of Kwait was ocasioned with the expulsion of somthing like 20,000 palistinians from Kwait, I doubt very much that the palistinians were clebrating the conclusion of that war...

Old May 21, 2002, 20:04   #150
Coracle
Prince

Quote:

. . . compare how well African-Americans do as a group to how well recent African immagrents to the US do. Many of the problems African-Americans face are internaly imposed, not externaly...
The worst RACISTS - and anti-Semites - I have ever encountered were and are BLACK.

Here in NYC I well recall black racist Al Sharpton leading mobs screaming "yellow monkeys" at the Korean grocery they were boycottiing. Another black lesder was Sonny Carson - an avowed anti-white bigot.

Sharpton helped foment the Crown Heights riots calling the Jews all a bunch of "diamond merchants". Black mobs then went on a three day pogrom chanting "Kill the Jews!".

And not just Sharpton. And not just whites, Jews, and Koreans. Many blacks don't like Hispanics either.

Black racism - the REAL racism in America today.