Old May 17, 2002, 03:17   #31
winterfritz
Prince

Local Time: 00:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Ok . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by Exile
some cities in China are going to be very much tougher to seize and Japan has been weakened somewhat. Sorry WF, but the way it stood, a competent Japanese player could mop up in China without much problem. It needed to be more difficult. The Japanese didn't start grabbing up real estate there until the late 1880s, and the first Sino-Japanese War didn't kick off until 1895.

Nah, I'm sure I'll get by. At least you think I must be a competent player

Regarding your very nice map, Grogthar: Sakhalin (the long thin island north of the four main Japanese islands) was actually a Russian possession at the time the scen starts. And I think that the Independent nations civ and the British have far too similar colours. Perhaps make the independents light grey?

Apart from that though, nice work
Old May 17, 2002, 04:09   #32
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Clarification;
As soon as Henrik gets the player list done, I'll send out the final versions to playtest.

Yeah, I know. But I'm a perfectionist these days.

These delays are irritating, but I'm trying to produce the best scenario yet, so bear with me. The end product will be worth it.
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old May 19, 2002, 19:53   #33
Grothgar
Prince

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!! A new map which actually has hawaii on it!! And new zealand in its proper place, thank you PSP!!!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	imperialism1870.gif
Views:	169
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	15746  

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old May 19, 2002, 20:09   #34
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Exile -

Just in case you're checking this thread a bit more often, thought I'd tell you that the civfan player list is good to go.
Old May 20, 2002, 00:23   #35
Exile
King

OK . . .
After excessive testing, the version that exists now should do the trick. I'm going to start sending it out now to the players. If things seem . . . unusual, then look at the Impread file. If you still have questions, then ask them here in this thread or feel free to email me. New sound files are available too.

Here is the player list;

Grothgar--Russia
JJKirk--USA
Henrik--Germany
Jmarks--France
WinterFritz--Japan
I'll take Great Britain (unless someone else wants it. I'm not to clear on who claimed it.)

Let it begin.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mutiny.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	15755  

Last edited by Exile; May 20, 2002 at 00:58.
Old May 20, 2002, 13:22   #36
Grothgar
Prince

Nothing happened in russia, russia is open to any offers of alliance from anyone Also trade units are abord russian steamers and must not be touched or impeded in any way.

Also people you will need to zip up your save files because otherwise it wont attach thanx to the huge map
Attached Files:
File Type: zip russia_turn1.zip (54.3 KB, 5 views)

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old May 20, 2002, 15:10   #37
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:44
That turn list is in the wrong order, it's supposed to be:
Russians (Grothgar)
Japanese (Winterfritz)
French (Jmarks)
Germans (Henrik)
Americans (James J Kirk)
Brittish (Exile)

Which means that now its japans turn.
Old May 20, 2002, 17:33   #38
Exile
King

About the British . . .
Actually, someone else needs to step forward and play them. I'd like to, and it's tempting, but the truth is that I know way too much about the thing and how it works and what kind of potential all the civs have. I've been testing it for several weeks. Me with the Brits just wouldn't be fair to the other players.

If no one steps forward, I will play until someone does, so keep the game going.

It just seemed like the players' list was so perfect--all the right people.

Damn!
Old May 20, 2002, 19:31   #39
Grothgar
Prince

Ok guys, heres what im proposing. I wanted to be britain in this PBEM but iwas under the impression that Britain was taken so i have asked Exile and he has agreed that we can swap places so he is russia and i am britain. Obviously you have the final word on this so please say yes

Also exile would rather not control any nation in this because he knows too much about them. So we still need a russia player but exile will hold that fort until we get one

Old May 21, 2002, 00:09   #40
Soundwave
Prince

Local Time: 12:44
May i play later on?
Old May 22, 2002, 06:38   #41
winterfritz
Prince

The Emperor offers his sincerest apologies - the schedule at the Summer Palace in Kyoto (read: school ) has been particularly hectic as of late. The Japanese turn is coming.
Old May 23, 2002, 16:38   #42
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 16:44
I'm going away starting today for a week, I'll be back next Thursday, and hopefully you all won't have to wait too long for me
Old May 24, 2002, 22:00   #43
winterfritz
Prince

Nippon Times: Dec 1869
Economic plan initiated
Our most wise ministers, acting on the behalf of the great Emperor Meiji, have begun ambitious plans to modernize the economy of our proud nation. At this very moment, ships carrying the best and most modern products are steaming towards the rich ports and cities of Europe. We ask that all nations respect these ships and allow them entry to the prosperous European centres of commerce, so that Japanese-European trade may be encouraged to the benefit of both areas.

Korean independence assured
This month also saw our benevolent government recognize the independence of the Koreans and repudiate Chinese claims to suzerainity over the penninsular. 'Japanese troops are at the ready,' stated Foreign Minister Winterfritz in an address in Tokyo today, 'to prevent the entry of Chinese troops into Korean territory. Indeed, Japan will not tolerate any foreign interference in the destiny of the Korean people... apart from the help and aid of their comrades, the Japanese.' The government has officially asked that all Western nations recognize both Korean independence from China, as well as the superiority of Japan's interests in the region over those of any other nation.

Japan has also staked a claim to the Ryuku Islands south of Kyushu and the island of Formosa, or Taiwan. Ministers are currently planning a program of colonization for both regions, and the Imperial Navy is moving in to enforce Japanese suzerainity.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip japan1869dec.zip (54.3 KB, 4 views)
Old May 25, 2002, 16:32   #44
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

I recieved the French turn via mail...

Some short German Headlines:

German Foreign Policies clarified!

Germany fully supports the Korean independence struggle and expresses confidence that the Japanese troops will be able to solve things in the best possible way.

In Europe, Germany, after having recieved a plea for help from the Serbian Government, is sending troops to Serbia to help enforce the Serbian government and restore order in the nation, it appears a small group of conspirators is trying to destroy the Serbian government.
"Rest asured order will be restored shortly", by our imperial Army said Chanselor Bissmarck earlier today in an official Statement.

An end to Franco-German Rivalry?

The new German Chancelor stated in a speach this morning that "Further rivalry between our two nations will only serve those who would benefit from our demise!"
And later on:
"I intend this to be the start of an era of Franco-German understanding and cooperation..."
Wether this will work or not is unkown and very uncertain, however, similar sentiments are said to have been expressed in France as well...

German Industry is booming!
There is an incredible surge for German quality machinery and goods in general in the world, German factories are pumping out ton after ton of these manufactured goods in a never ending stream of exports to the ever so hungry world market.
A giant trade convoy of is said to sail for Asia this very minute.

Minor diplomatic crisis with Russia

Russian engineers have witout permission from the German Empire started an integration of their railroad network with the german one, this is outrageous, Germany demands an official explanation and/or apology from the Tzar!
As of now the track laying must stop untill an official deal has been made.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip turn1.zip (56.4 KB, 4 views)
Old May 25, 2002, 18:34   #45
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

French Authorities back Korean Independence

French officials have, last tuesday, expressed their sincere desire to keep Korea independent from Chinese agressiveness. To help the Japanese with their efforts, cargo loads of various supplies are being sent to Japan post haste. Among them are arms, amunitions, and of course the ever popular machines for agressive manufacturing. "This is a great day for independence" The supreme chansoler said at the ribbon cutting for the send off. "With our help the world shall live in peace."

Tragedy! Panic! Death! Assasination!

Shortly after the ribbon cutting, the supreme chanselor, as well as all very high heads of state were assasinated for convinience of plot. The finger of blame is resting on the North African and Sub-saharan tribes, all of which will pay dearly for their crimes. Any military 'aid' to these peoples will be seen as a direct threat to French interests.

Following this tragedy, the poeple cry out for order. To fill this gap, Joan Loquate assumed position of temporary supreme chansoler/monarch/parliament. He states his desire to restore the order, bring the criminals to justice, take out the garbage, and restore France to the Republic it should be. Officials are currently making order and regestering everyone to vote, since the records have been destroyed in an explosian. It is unknown how long this will take, but optimists are hoping to hold elections by the end of the year.

Parisian Times Weekly/Bimonthly/Bipolar
Old May 25, 2002, 23:32   #46
winterfritz
Prince

I just realized I accidentally played my first turn with one of the older versions of the scenario. I've thrown out that old version now, but do I have to replay my turn or can we just continue?

Japan thanks France and Germany for their speedy recognition of Korean independence. To repay the kindness of these western nations, our trade goods will be dropped off in their ports and great cities, thereby fostering goodwill and co-operation between our three states.
Old May 25, 2002, 23:42   #47
winterfritz
Prince

Oh, and Grogthar, I really think you should change the colour of the independents to light grey - orange is far too similar to the British red.
Old May 26, 2002, 08:36   #48
Grothgar
Prince

Well i happen to think it looks fine as it is

And the russian ambassador says OOPS didnt see that railroad.

Old May 26, 2002, 20:24   #49
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Exile,

I know its a small thing, and mabey you have a reason for it, but I was thinking you need to change the Mfg. Goods unit icon. Trucks, at least such good looking trucks weren't out by then, and if they were, not in any quantity. Engines at that time would make them virtually useless for any deal of cargo carrying. Therefore you might want to change it. Then again, I wouldn't know what to change it too... a cargo train would only make sense when it plies the rails, and horses and cart might seem too arcane (whether or not realistic, don't know) for this. You could go with the idea you have for raw goods, ei just show the stuff, not its carrying convayence. If you want of course.

Jmarks
Old May 27, 2002, 00:45   #50
Exile
King

Actually . . .
It is a small thing.

Yes, I know. And you discerned the problem. The truck graphic I'm using is a little inaccurate. But what would I use in place of it? Moreover, round about the turn of the century, the truck unit will be accurate. No horses and wagons. No railroad cars. I couldn't come up with a better solution than the truck. If anyone has one, let me know. The boxes and bags work great for the Caravan/Raw Materials, but I don't want to do that for the Freight/Manufactured Goods graphic--I want the two to be different.

Btw, I really can't play in this pbem game. Reason; I don't have the file that you guys are using anymore. My own copy of the scenario is well advanced beyond the one you're all using. No way mine would now be compatible with it, and I've long since deleted obsolete versions here. Ecthelion pm'd me and seemed to want to get in on this game, but we'll wait and see whether he was serious or not. In the meantime, the Russian civ is open to whoever wants to play it, but one of you will have to send a copy of your version of the scenario to the new guy.
Old May 27, 2002, 11:00   #51
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 02:44
OK, Exile. I'm willing to play the part of Russia, if they're still open.

And: if you guys are nice to me
Old May 27, 2002, 13:18   #52
Ecthy
Emperor

I feel obliged to make some corrections concerning city names and locations. While I don't mind the Germans owning also Austria, Hungary and Scandinavia (the Austria-Hungary owning would be sort of OK due t oalliances, but Scandinavia?), I think many of the cities are misnamed. For example, Germans own Lemberg (spelled that way not Lemburg) and Russians own Lvov. One and the same city. Plus, some other spelling things, such as Königsberg (not -burg), Nürnberg or Nuremberg, Timbuctu not Timuctu etc

Those are just the first, I'll keep em coming. I suggest the Russian city of Lvov is renamed to Brest (-Litovsk), which ashould be geographically fine enough
Old May 27, 2002, 14:50   #53
Exile
King

Suggestions noted.
The "Timbuctu" error has been corrected in the version I have.

The Lemberg/Lvov error has also bee spotted and has also been corrected in the latest version.

Berg/burg; does it really matter? Ok just kidding. These will be changed.

About Scandinavia; The problem is, who DO I give it to? Like it not, the Scandinavian countries were more closely tied, in an economic and cultural sense, to Germany than to any other Civ in the scenario. Who else could I give them to? The Russians? Hardly. The British? Perhaps Norway. Perhaps. The independent nations are too bellicose when run by the AI--if I assigned Scandinavia to them, they would get caught up in the inevitable wars and occupied by somebody. Better to just give them to the German civ.

And thanks for the feedback.
Old May 27, 2002, 15:10   #54
Ecthy
Emperor

I sort of figured that was the reason for Scandinavia going to the Germans, thus forming some kind of big central European block. It was probably a good decision

Burg means castle/keep, Berg means hill/mountain

I'll continue testing it later on, not tonight though, a lot of stuff to do for school
Old May 28, 2002, 01:22   #55
Henrik
Emperor

Re: Suggestions noted.
Quote:
Originally posted by Exile The British? Perhaps Norway. Perhaps.
Why do everyone keep forgetting that norway bellonged to Sweden back then?
You couldn't possibly give them to different civs.
Old May 28, 2002, 11:30   #56
Ecthy
Emperor

So when does the game start?

Or are we waiting until the last changes were made?
Old May 28, 2002, 14:26   #57
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Actually we're waiting for our USA player to get back. He said he'd be back by Thursday. JamesKirk! If you're back early, feel free to do your turn!
Old May 28, 2002, 14:41   #58
Ecthy
Emperor

Oh well... aren't we running different versions?
Old June 1, 2002, 01:45   #59
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 16:44
President Grant, Cabinet Resign under Cloud of Scandal, House Speaker James J. Kirk Assumes Presidency

President Kirk Hails Korean Independence, Reaffirms Monroe Doctrine, Welcomes Peace with All Powers

Manufactured Goods Heading Toward Europe, Asia; More on the Way

OOC: Most of my turn was spent staring at the Trade Advisor screens (which all like to close themselves after about 30 or so seconds), Do you have some sort of Supply/Demand masterlist, Exile?
Attached Files:
File Type: zip us1869dec.zip (55.1 KB, 2 views)
Old June 1, 2002, 02:05   #60
Exile
King

No, I don't.
But why does your trade advisor-thing close? That's a new one on me. Problem is; I've played the thing so much that I generally know what cities start out demanding what trade items. There are some rough guidelines that I could provide. Diamonds seem to be more valuable in the Orient. Europe likes Copper and Coffee. The USA and Britain like Coal and, later, OIL! Textiles are generally desirable almost anywhere. Demand for Gold can appear at some very lucrative places, but contracts during the mid-game. Commodities like Silver, Arms, and Rifles have a limited demand. Iron ore is very tricky, but can pay off. Sugar is a good commodity and is demanded in some very nice places, in Europe, England, USA, and Japan.

Does this help any?