Old May 15, 2002, 12:20   #1
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
We surrender! AI flees in terror from my forces
I was playing one of my games yesterday, and something happened that convinced me the AI is either smart or incredibly stupid. My cavalry was laying siege to New Orleans with the help of some artillery. New Orleans was a city that they had built early in the game on the other side of my empire, so it was completely surrounded by me. I was having trouble killing their infantry and had moved several cavalry units next to the city so that I could probably take it the next turn. During the AI's turn, a galleon sailed in and out of New Orleans. When it was my turn I discovered that there were no longer any defenders left in the city, so I just waltzed in and took the city without a fight. So, did the AI see that it would eventually lose the city and evacuate the infantry to get some more use out of them? Coincidentally a privateer of mine sunk their galleon the next turn. Or did it just blunder and accidentally move them out of the city? I must say I've never seen anything like this before.
Old May 15, 2002, 13:08   #2
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 03:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ixnay, this is an obvious example of the AI being clever, the action was surely done with intent. It just won't be taking units in and out of the city.

What patch are you using?

Go Soren !
Old May 15, 2002, 13:30   #3
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

I'm using 1.21.
Old May 15, 2002, 13:37   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:45
I would wager that a Settler was onboard that galleon (especially if New Orleans was still of a size to build one).

JB
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 15, 2002, 13:44   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 20:45
I've seen this many times, not necessarily with ships. The AI will pull units out of cities under siege. I don't really think it's very smart, as those units are usually caught out in the open and killed. Jaybe's probably right that it was a settler team. The AI will attempt to recolonize cities that you've just razed - they will send a defender/settler team right through your massive invasion force to try and rebuild the city. This team will, of course, die.

The AI will also send out last-ditch survival teams from coastal cities. They will be the standard settler team on a boat, and will beeline for some open coastline (usually a tundra island or something like that) and plunk down a city. I'll say this: it does prolong the civ's lifespan, and is a pain in the ass for the human player, who has to hunt down and kill those little outposts (or make peace, which means the AI did its job - it survived).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 15, 2002, 14:52   #6
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 01:45
Like Arrian, I've seen that many times, but I've never seen that the AI leaves the city completely undefended. Strange, strange...
Old May 15, 2002, 14:56   #7
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 01:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
The AI will also send out last-ditch survival teams from coastal cities. They will be the standard settler team on a boat, and will beeline for some open coastline (usually a tundra island or something like that) and plunk down a city. I'll say this: it does prolong the civ's lifespan, and is a pain in the ass for the human player, who has to hunt down and kill those little outposts (or make peace, which means the AI did its job - it survived).
Correct, and it was even more pain in 1.17f and earlier, due to the "sink last galley crashes game" bug. It didn't help to hunt down that last galley, because sinking it you ruined your game. You had to set a sea blockade and kill that galley before you capture the last city. Now, with 1.21f, things are easier.
Old May 15, 2002, 18:20   #8
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I've seen the AI leave cities undefended... usually in the face of overwhelming force.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 15, 2002, 20:11   #9
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 19:45
You are all missing what this REALLY proves.

The AI's determination to FLOOD the map with settlers building towns everywhere they can is DUMB and DUMBER.

These towns/cities - although annoying in the extreme - are usually INDEFENSIBLE in case of war because they are so isolated.

Thus, strategically, the AI is indeed dumb as a doorknob.
Old May 15, 2002, 20:17   #10
KrazyHorse
Deity

It's a genius compared to Civ2 AI.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old May 15, 2002, 20:19   #11
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

OK, when we get MP, and I show up on your doorstep with 100 Tanks, you're just going to sit there?

Hmmm, if I remember, the Iraqis in Desterm storm SURRENDERED by the 10s of thousands, due to a combo of PsyOps and concentrated overwhelming force. But then, I guess your argument would be that Iraq is secretly controlled by an Ai from Civ.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old May 16, 2002, 00:56   #12
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:45
Quote:
And certain posters on this forum too.
Old May 16, 2002, 06:35   #13
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 11:45
I've actually seen the AI with empty cities that have been there for hundreds of years. I was playing the Imperialism map, and was at war with the Russians (I was the Germans). I had one city on the other continent, the Russians had four. I'd been using cavalry to clear out the barbarians before and sent it across the continent at the Russians. When I got there, one of their cities was completely defenseless.
Old May 16, 2002, 07:17   #14
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I saw the AI move out its units in my current game but I thought they were heading for its other opponent. It didnt leave the city undefended though.

Another new AI strategy (to me) was to found a city in the neutral zone between our civs in the middle of a war. While it had some advantages and disadvantages, I didnt like it. Its kind of like using your buildings to attack with, a la AOE.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old May 16, 2002, 09:27   #15
bigvic
Prince

yup, I've seen it too. Good Idea, but usually poorly executed.

i like ibble blibble
Old May 16, 2002, 09:56   #16
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Quote:
And certain posters on this forum too.

Well said. Well said indeed. There are few things more annoying than a broken record.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 16, 2002, 10:18   #17
Mkinser
Chieftain

I've seen it too.
I have seen it a few times where the AI moves units out of a city I am laying into, but never by ship.

For example, last night I am playing as the Americans and am humbling Russia. I have a spy so I check out the forces of a town I have been hitting for a few turns...unsuccessfully, I might add.

According to my spy there are 5 infantry units and 2 artillery. So, I roll in a couple of newly created tanks to prepare for attack on the next turn. During the AI's turn, I watch as they move 3 infantry units out of the city. They don't move together, each one goes in a seperate direction leaving each one unprotected. There were no settlers moving with them. I check the city with my spy again and sure enough, only 2 infantry and artillery units left. So I pick off the lone infantry men with my own infantry and roll the city with my tanks.

It seemed like the AI just gave up.
Old May 16, 2002, 18:01   #18
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 00:45
Its a good practise to fall back from weak positions to make a tough defensive line.. or front line. It makes it a bit too easy to capture a city though if all the population are removed, maybe the AI should just abandon cities like this to not leave its enemy anything.
Old May 16, 2002, 18:56   #19
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ
Its a good practise to fall back from weak positions to make a tough defensive line.. or front line. It makes it a bit too easy to capture a city though if all the population are removed, maybe the AI should just abandon cities like this to not leave its enemy anything.
Uh, ohhhh!

IF the AI already can evacuate cities,
AND with 1.21 cities can be 'disbanded'
THEN
Next thing you know, when an AI metropolis has been ground to a town and you have your whole army ready to strike it, the AI will evacuate it and disband it!!

How would THAT be for a shocker!
I do hope that the AI knows to disband it AFTER it has moved all of its units.

JB
Old May 16, 2002, 19:32   #20
AzNtoccata
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:45
very good if that was the intent
Old May 17, 2002, 01:03   #21
Redstar
Warlord

Local Time: 00:45
the AI has the insider knowledge that it can leave the city and get it back in revolt a few turns later.
Old May 18, 2002, 04:03   #22
KrazyHorse
Deity

AI's not smart enough to think of a few turns later...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old May 19, 2002, 00:24   #23
Evil_Eric_4
Warlord

Quote:
Yes it is good practice-And a human player does it quite well-ie.-fighting a rearguard action while the main body of the army retreats to more defensable positions and digs in.

The AI however could never be expected to think like this and therefore apperantly botches the attempt.
The AI should stay where it is (in a highly defensable position like a city)since its too stupid to defend its retreating army.

I personally have never seen the AI do this but if they ever do I assure you I will be quite happy that they just made my job easier.
Old May 19, 2002, 01:08   #24
Theseus
Emperor

Tonight, I fell back from a German city that I had captured... and I purposefully did NOT abandon it, so that enemy forces would be held up trying to defend it and quell resistance.

It worked quite well; several turns later, after healing on a mountain, I retook the city, and succesfully invested it with defenders.