Old May 15, 2002, 21:52   #1
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 10:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What's Your Favorite Dinosaur?
I've always like tyrannosaurs, ever since I was very, very young. I was impressed, I suppose, by their sheer size and power. And now they're trying to make us believe that Tyrannosaurus Rex was a scavenger. Please!
Old May 16, 2002, 04:22   #2
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 02:46
i like the birds, yep, the birds are my favorite dinosaur.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old May 16, 2002, 04:35   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:46
I like the Diplodocus.
They are big, peaceful, but don't get bullied around too much by scavengers.
Old May 16, 2002, 16:46   #4
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 00:46
Anklyosaurus with the turtle shell and the clubbed tail. That must've been one bada$$ dinosaur

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old May 16, 2002, 20:09   #5
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 20:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Parasaurolop(h?)us of the duck-billed kind used to be my favourite.
Old May 17, 2002, 03:40   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

I like this one too
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	minirex.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	15559  
Old May 17, 2002, 03:55   #7
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Is that a tyrannosaur?
Old May 17, 2002, 06:45   #8
Jethro83
Prince

I'd probably say that my favourite dinosaur is the velociraptor. Small, fast, near impossible for its prey to escape.
Old May 17, 2002, 07:53   #9
chronocrator
Warlord

Local Time: 01:46
I used to like the Triceratops since it could often defeat Tyrannosaurs and they were only attacked when those big carnivores were really hungry.
Yet somewhere I recently read that those long horns they had were no weapons instead they were used to attract mates, in this case Triceratops would not be all that cool anymore.

BTW many Anklyosaurus skeletons have been found laying upside down, which suggests that bigger dinosaurs could sometimes turn them over and eat them then when they were pretty much defenseless.
Old May 17, 2002, 20:05   #10
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chronocrator
I used to like the Triceratops since it could often defeat Tyrannosaurs and they were only attacked when those big carnivores were really hungry.
Yet somewhere I recently read that those long horns they had were no weapons instead they were used to attract mates, in this case Triceratops would not be all that cool anymore.

BTW many Anklyosaurus skeletons have been found laying upside down, which suggests that bigger dinosaurs could sometimes turn them over and eat them then when they were pretty much defenseless.
Ceratopsians are pretty cool. The one I like best (I can't remember its name) is smaller than the Triceratops and has spikes on the top of its head shield.

Do you notice that they seem now to want to downplay the degree to which dinosaurs used their attributes for hunting and fighting? Tyrannosaurs are now scavengers, Velociraptors are not efficient hunters but thinking animals, Triceratops uses its horns for "peaceful" purposes.

Just the fact that Ankylosaurus skeletons have been found on their backs doesn't automatically imply that they were turned that way by predators, but I'm sure that did happen since so much of their weight would have been on their back like a modern turtle.
Old May 18, 2002, 00:05   #11
Skanky Burns

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Is that a tyrannosaur?
Yep, tyrannosaurus rex.
Old May 18, 2002, 06:57   #12
chronocrator
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Ceratopsians are pretty cool. The one I like best (I can't remember its name) is smaller than the Triceratops and has spikes on the top of its head shield.
I believe you are talking about the styracosaurus.

Quote:
Do you notice that they seem now to want to downplay the degree to which dinosaurs used their attributes for hunting and fighting? Tyrannosaurs are now scavengers, Velociraptors are not efficient hunters but thinking animals, Triceratops uses its horns for "peaceful" purposes.
Maybe it isn't a downplay but rather actual scientific research. Before, scientits who found a horn on a dinosaur might just have assumed that it is for fighting and the dino with the biggest, sharpest teeth was the greatest hunter of course.
I still think dinosaurs are cool, though.

edit: found the picture here: http://taggart.glg.msu.edu/isb200/dino.htm
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	dinos.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	15634  
Old May 27, 2002, 12:48   #13
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 19:46
I always liked the Dionycus. I don't know why.
Old May 28, 2002, 07:30   #14
Skanky Burns

My father-in-law really likes dinosaurs.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	dino10.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	16334  
Old May 29, 2002, 03:42   #15
Mr. President
Emperor

Oh my! Did he make that!

Apocalypse is a cool screen name, congratulations on beating me to it.
Old May 29, 2002, 22:47   #16
Skanky Burns

Yes. This he painted on the neighbours shed. The T-Rex (posted previously) is out the front, inside a wire fence. (not electrified though)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	dino06.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	16452  
Old May 30, 2002, 03:48   #17
Mr. President
Emperor

Oh wow, those are so cool! That last one seems familiar to me for some reason. When I have time, I'll look at the covers of some of my old dinosaur books and get back to you.
Old June 2, 2002, 21:38   #18
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 17:46
Yes, Victorian era paleoarcheologists made a whole lot of assumptions that have been dismissed after careful examination. I believe the story on Tyrannosaurus is that the teeth are the wrong shape for a big game hunter. Any twisting action of the T's head or the live, large prey would tend to break the teeth. Or something like that.
Old June 2, 2002, 23:46   #19
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow
Yes, Victorian era paleoarcheologists made a whole lot of assumptions that have been dismissed after careful examination. I believe the story on Tyrannosaurus is that the teeth are the wrong shape for a big game hunter. Any twisting action of the T's head or the live, large prey would tend to break the teeth. Or something like that.
I also heard it had to do with the way they know believe his bone structure went and that to have chased down animals at high speeds would have expended so much energy that it would not have been worth it. But I might be wrong with that.
Old June 3, 2002, 17:13   #20
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Mamenchisaurus

I just love the name.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old June 3, 2002, 18:48   #21
Mr. President
Emperor

That is a cool name.

Another cool name (for me, anyway) is "Saichania", which they dug up in Mongolia.
Old June 3, 2002, 23:38   #22
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Do you have any info on the species Mr. President? I haven't heard of it before.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old June 3, 2002, 23:48   #23
Mr. President
Emperor

From The Dinosaur Society Dinosaur Encyclopedia (Don Lessem and Donald F. Glut, Random House 1993):

Saichania

Type Species: chulsanensis

Order: Ornithischia

Suborder: Ankylosauria

Family: Ankylosauridae

Name: Mongolian saichan = beautiful

Size: 7 meters (24 feet) long

Period: Late Cretaceous, 79 million to 75 million years ago

Region: Mongolia

Diet: Herbivorous

"Saichania was an ankylosaurid, an armored dinosaur with small spikes on its flanks and a clubbed tail. It was unique among armored dinosaurs in that both its back and its belly armor were discovered. Others may have had such extensive protection, but their armor was not preserved.

"Saichania and Pinacosaurus differed from most of the other known Mongolian ankylosaurs in the structure of their nostrils and nasal cavities. The nasal cavity was divided into left and right passages. Within these passages were thin, spiralling bones. In living mammals, similar bones are covered with membranes that warm, moisten, and filter the incoming air. Similar nasal bones were recently discovered in Nanotyrannus, a newly named tyrannosaurid.

"If Saichania had a keenly developed sense of smell, it could have compensated for its slowness by warning it of approaching predators, and by helping it locate food sources in the semi-arid environment of the ancient Gobi."
Old July 3, 2002, 14:40   #24
tomcat ha
Warlord

Sorry for Rzz this topic
Me likes Megaraptor very much
why?
9 meter big Raptor
Smart, big and gunting in packs
Old July 8, 2002, 11:56   #25
Dr. Stiby
Chieftain

I remember having this book on dinos when i was a kid (yup this was before Jurassic Park). My theory by that time was "the bigger the better". So I kinda liked the Brontosaurus, which I believe was the biggest in that book!
Old July 12, 2002, 11:26   #26
Jac de Molay
Prince

I think there's one even bigger than the Bronto, isn't there?

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old July 12, 2002, 17:02   #27
Dr. Stiby
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by DetroitDave
I think there's one even bigger than the Bronto, isn't there?

Dave
I'm pretty sure there are couple of species bigger than Bronto, but I don't recall them from that book I once owned. My dino interest has severely slumped away since then (only to be boosted again by the release of jurassic Park and the announcement of Sid Meier's Dinosaurs ..)
Old July 12, 2002, 21:25   #28
Mr. President
Emperor

I think Brachiosaurus is bigger than Brontosaurus / Apatosaurus. Diplodocus is longer, I believe due to its tail, but around the same height and weight. I read a while ago that they discovered fossil fragments from a couple of species in Montana that they dubbed "Supersaurus" and "Ultrasaurus" (I don't know if those were the official names or what) because the vertebrae were around eight feet long or something like that.
Old July 16, 2002, 14:15   #29
Jac de Molay
Prince

You are correct sir. Ultrasaurus would be the largest land mammal discovered so far, with Supersaurus a distant. Both were discovered in Colorado in the 80's

Dave
Old July 17, 2002, 00:39   #30
MattyBoy
Prince

Triceratops is my favourite - cannot explain why.