Old May 18, 2002, 09:49   #31
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 00:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Anyway there are over a million troups at the borders. There is certainly the potential for escalation and another attack such as occured in the India parlament will certainly set it off next time. In the mean time you have fanatics dreaming up new ways every day on how they can set it off.
Old May 18, 2002, 09:53   #32
Lincoln
King

APNewsAlert
NEW DELHI, India, May 18, 2002 (AP WorldStream via COMTEX) -- India tells Pakistan ambassador to leave.

Copyright 2002 Associated Press, All rights reserved
Old May 18, 2002, 10:34   #33
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 19:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This situation looks bad, hopefully if a war breaks out, each side can refrain from using nuclear weapons. I suppose if war breaks out we could launch an expeditionary force into the Tribal Area of Pakistan that nobody controls, because obviously in such a situation Pakistan would not be able to help us or stop us from going in ourselves.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old May 18, 2002, 11:22   #34
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 01:52
Quote:
I suppose if war breaks out we could launch an expeditionary force into the Tribal Area of Pakistan that nobody controls, because obviously in such a situation Pakistan would not be able to help us or stop us from going in ourselves.
When war breaks out, Pakistan will need all the help they can get, including support from pro-taliban and former taliban forces.

Also, it's very unlikely Pakistan will allow foreign troops within it's border, unless those foreign troops actually help to defend Pakistan.
Old May 18, 2002, 11:40   #35
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

"When war breaks out, Pakistan will need all the help they can get, including support from pro-taliban and former taliban forces."

Maybe, but they also know they need to prevent the USA from siding against them in order to win.

"Also, it's very unlikely Pakistan will allow foreign troops within it's border, unless those foreign troops actually help to defend Pakistan."

Considering the precariousness of the situation they would be in a war and because they wan't us to take India's side, they might not have much of a choice. We can also bribe them with covert aid.....

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old May 18, 2002, 11:56   #36
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
Maybe, but they also know they need to prevent the USA from siding against them in order to win.
The US won't side against anyone in this conflict. There is too much too lose.

Quote:
Considering the precariousness of the situation they would be in a war and because they wan't us to take India's side, they might not have much of a choice.
I think you don't understand the severity of the situation. If a war between India and Pakistan starts it will be biggest war that the world has seen in quite some time.

Reasons why Pakistan won't allow foreign troops within their borders:

1. Foreign troops will be after "terrorist" sympatisers, many of which are Pakistani. The Pakistani people will see this as American helping India, and Musharaf letting them.
2. Both India and Pakistan may fire on foreign troops present in Pakistan in the heat of battle.

Most likely, when war starts Musharaf will ask the US for help, or kindly request American forces to leave Pakistan for their own safety. The US, won't risk the lives of their soldiers in this instance, and will withdraw forces to Pakistan, while in the meantime trying to solve the situation diplomatically.
Old May 18, 2002, 11:58   #37
Saint Marcus
King

Anyway, if you are right and the US will betray it's new ally Pakistan and side with India, the US will lose all support from the Muslim world, which will be extremely bad in the war against terrorism, and a possible war against Iraq.
Old May 18, 2002, 12:54   #38
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

This is all englands faults
Old May 18, 2002, 13:28   #39
Ned
King

Local Time: 16:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion

I'm afraid they'll nuke each other, and that will be it, for the military aspect. Noone but possibly China is going to join in, and the biggest problem won't be the dead down there but rather the environmental consequences.
Now you are really starting to sound like a Nazi.

Ned

Last edited by Ned; May 18, 2002 at 13:47.
Old May 18, 2002, 13:32   #40
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 03:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
Anyway, if you are right and the US will betray it's new ally Pakistan and side with India, the US will lose all support from the Muslim world, which will be extremely bad in the war against terrorism, and a possible war against Iraq.
I dont think the war against terrorism will have any meaning while two nuclear powers are warring.
Old May 18, 2002, 13:47   #41
Ned
King

Quote:
Should a war start, who will the US back? India has been a long time ally, but since sept.11th Bush has gotten very cozy with Musharaf.
Saint Marcus, The U.S. has never been an ally of India. We have always sided with Pakistan. We have even moved carriers in to threaten India in order to stop prior wars.

The only thing that has changed from those days to now is the new "Hindu" government in India that really wants to be friends with the U.S. They know that they can never win a war with Pakistan so long as the U.S. stands in its way.

After 9/11, we need Pakistan to be an ally in the war against terror. Musharraf simply must crack cown on anti-Indian terrorist groups. If he refuses to co-operate, or, like Arafat, gives is only words, we could threaten him with loss of U.S. support. But, we need action, and fast.

America's inaction suggests that we are thinking carefully about the situation. We may be thinking about switching sides and joining India.

Ned
Old May 18, 2002, 13:51   #42
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

anyone thought about a pact between Israel and India , .........
they allready do their missile drill's together ,.............
and , ahem , make their missile's land in the Med , a few yards from a US carrier , who did not saw them coming , ......

have a nice day
There is talk in the U.S. of the U.S., Israel, India and Russia forming an alliance against terror. What do you think?

The EU, save for England, seems to be on the wrong side.

Ned
Old May 18, 2002, 14:02   #43
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

There is talk in the U.S. of the U.S., Israel, India and Russia forming an alliance against terror. What do you think?

The EU, save for England, seems to be on the wrong side.

Ned
hi ,

hmmmmm , sounds good , but it will not work , why , okay , Israel can not work in the US , but the US can work in Israel , ....grrrr, everything stands and falls with communication and intel , .......

a pact with Israel , Greece and India could have a large impact , for the moment their is a pact like that , and the results are , well, very high , .......

as for the rest , the US and the EU are both fighting over the fact that Israel should chose one or the other , ........and in their fighting they forget the essence , ...........

like before , the US , did not see the missile's on their radar , that the Israeli and Indian navy's fired from the Indian Ocean to the MED , .....

and those missile's where fired from a torpedo tube , ........ made in Israel , .......

have a nice day
Old May 18, 2002, 15:38   #44
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:52
How about an international plebicite on the status of Kashmir. Let the Kashmiris decide of which country they wish to be part or for indpendence (which is what all three occupiers fear)?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old May 18, 2002, 15:39   #45
Ned
King

Greece? I thought Israel was allied with Turkey? Ned
Old May 18, 2002, 15:42   #46
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:52
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
How about an international plebicite on the status of Kashmir. Let the Kashmiris decide of which country they wish to be part or for indpendence (which is what all three occupiers fear)?
Better to leave it with one of them. Or to divide it among them. It is landlocked wasteland. Those don't do well as independant states...
Old May 18, 2002, 15:42   #47
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:52
Oh, btw what are the 3 claimants? Anybody have a map of the region?
Old May 18, 2002, 15:43   #48
chequita guevara
Emperor

But it's mineral rich, and the central valley is quite pleasant when things aren't exploding, I'm led to believe.

Pakistan, India, and China all have pieces.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old May 18, 2002, 15:44   #49
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Greece? I thought Israel was allied with Turkey? Ned
hi ,

yep , but that is only on certain things , when it comes to anti terrorist , nothing to do with 9-11 , it was there since about 1996 , intel of all types , training , on a small scale , in-flight refueling , interception of airplanes , person's , ship's , etc , .......
the war on narcotics , the war on human-trade , ......etc , ....

have a nice day
Old May 18, 2002, 16:20   #50
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Should a war start, who will the US back? India has been a long time ally, but since sept.11th Bush has gotten very cozy with Musharaf.
Say what? India a long time ally? During the entire Cold War, Pakistan has been the US's close ally in the region.

Quote:
Pakistan would probably love a plebicite, and India would hate it. Seeing as the majority of Jammu and Kashmir are Muslims, there would seem to be more support to be integrated into Pakistan than India.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 18, 2002, 16:30   #51
C0ckney
King

I think that if a plebicite was held (ha!) most would opt for independence.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old May 18, 2002, 16:42   #52
HisMajestyBOB
Warlord

And then you'd have a three-way war b/t India, Kashmir and Pakistan. Things are barely stable now, but a plebscite could easily lead to a war.

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!
Old May 18, 2002, 16:46   #53
Ned
King

Who here is in favor of self-determination? Let the people of Kashmir vote. Let the US back up that vote with the US Army if necessary.
Old May 18, 2002, 16:47   #54
Promethus
Settler

India promised the U.N. that it would hold a plebicite but it never has done so.
Old May 18, 2002, 17:03   #55
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
Who here is in favor of self-determination? Let the people of Kashmir vote. Let the US back up that vote with the US Army if necessary.
And while we're at it, do the same in Palestina.
Old May 18, 2002, 17:04   #56
Ned
King

Quote:

And while we're at it, do the same in Palestina.
Unless you have something up your sleeve, I agree. Ned
Old May 18, 2002, 17:04   #57
Faeelin
Chieftain

Give it to China. That way, India and Pakistan will stand united to kick the Chinese out of south asia.
Old May 18, 2002, 17:08   #58
HisMajestyBOB
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
So the US can get its ass shot at in Kashmir too? Just what we need, another example of America's imperialism. And we can piss off the Hindus while were at it, get two of the worlds religions against us!

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!
Old May 18, 2002, 17:25   #59
chequita guevara
Emperor

At least we'd bring the Hindus and Muslims together.
Old May 18, 2002, 17:25   #60
chequita guevara
Emperor

When in doubt, self-determination is always the best policy.