View Poll Results: Largest number of AI units you ever saw moving togehter?
more than 10 units 3 4.69%
more than 20 units 9 14.06%
more than 30 units 11 17.19%
more than 40 units 4 6.25%
more than 50 units 5 7.81%
more than 60 units 5 7.81%
more than 70 units 3 4.69%
more than 80 units 3 4.69%
more than 90 units 2 3.13%
more than 100 units 19 29.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21, 2002, 16:37   #31
AIL
Warlord

Local Time: 01:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
In a Game that I played I haven't seen so many forces in one Stack yet but in my Cousins 1st Game the Persians attacked the Babylonians through his Land with I counted 63 Immortals... and that was on Warlord!

Another thing is a huge stack I had myself! Think around 50 German Panzers towards the Russians...
Old May 21, 2002, 17:34   #32
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Myrddin
Of course the AI ignored your fortresses, it prefers to attack where you are weak, not where you are strong
hi ,

and that is the place for a trap , ....

have a nice day
Old May 22, 2002, 16:31   #33
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Myrddin
Of course the AI ignored your fortresses, it prefers to attack where you are weak, not where you are strong
Well, to be true I had some games where AI seems to consider my fortress as relevant target anyway. But my point is that my fortress don't helped with "opportunity fire" (that was my original plan when I built and garrisoned them). I admit I'm a bit confused about units exerting ZOC or not, because manuals, Civilopedia and real game actions seems differ IIRC.

The best move was when Firaxis explained that while we supposed that a unit not firing at a passing enemy was a hint of a bug, they did that for purpose. True or not, we can both have a correct (but unbalanced IMHO) feature or a legitimated bug!
Old May 22, 2002, 16:37   #34
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

Well, to be true I had some games where AI seems to consider my fortress as relevant target anyway. But my point is that my fortress don't helped with "opportunity fire" (that was my original plan when I built and garrisoned them). I admit I'm a bit confused about units exerting ZOC or not, because manuals, Civilopedia and real game actions seems differ IIRC.

The best move was when Firaxis explained that while we supposed that a unit not firing at a passing enemy was a hint of a bug, they did that for purpose. True or not, we can both have a correct (but unbalanced IMHO) feature or a legitimated bug!
hi ,

when there is a unit in it , and that unit should have a ZOC then it should work , .....

have a nice day
Old May 22, 2002, 18:24   #35
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
re: Fortress ZOC
A unit may (or may not) have to be fortified within a fortress to automatically exert a ZOC. You only 'see' the ZOC effect when the violator loses a HP! Also, way back when, a Firaxian stated that 'because the violator is moving,' the attack strength is HALVED (or defense is doubled?).

This modifying of strengths I strongly disagree with (I played too many manual board combat simulations back in the 70's). OTH, it IS a 'strategic' game.

JB
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 23, 2002, 05:02   #36
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
re: Fortress ZOC
A unit may (or may not) have to be fortified within a fortress to automatically exert a ZOC. You only 'see' the ZOC effect when the violator loses a HP! Also, way back when, a Firaxian stated that 'because the violator is moving,' the attack strength is HALVED (or defense is doubled?).

This modifying of strengths I strongly disagree with (I played too many manual board combat simulations back in the 70's). OTH, it IS a 'strategic' game.

JB
Thanks Jaybe. In fact I had some doubt about 40+ enemy units moving two tiles near my cannon and infantry, fortified in fortress, without a single hit showed.

My bad tactic, of course.
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old May 23, 2002, 05:10   #37
Redstar
Warlord

Local Time: 00:56
its not such a big deal..cause by the time they send inf --you have modern tanks and artillary.

since their inf moves only 1 square at a time...and your cities are usually 2-3 squares away, you have plenty of time to grind them down into nothing.

Plus, if ya have tack nukes...you can kill a stack with just about
3 nukes for 50.

you can also leave 1 city wide open near the border...so they waste more time heading for it.

In short, i would only be worried if they had modern armor and i had NO nukes.
Old May 24, 2002, 02:08   #38
Bautou
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
How do you count the number of troops in a stack? I just don't want to count them all manually.
Well, when I'm watching the AI move 100+ units one by one, I find plenty of time to count the stack.

The biggest stack of ever seen is a ~115 Roman infantry/legion stack. I was playing on a huge continents map on Monarch. I had one continent all to myself, while the Americans, Romans, and 3 other civs shared a truly massive continent between them.

The Romans and the three other civs decide to gang up to take out the second-place Americans, and America comes to me for help. Deciding that a perpetual war on the other continent could be a good thing, I agree to a RoP (though not an alliance) and ship a small force over to America to survey the situation.

I very quickly concluded that America was indeed truly screwed. Aside from the Roman stack, an Iroquois stack of 70-ish mounted warriors/knights is running wild, while the Greeks have some 50 calvary and dozens of infantry marching around, and the Egyptians have another 90+ infantry stack coming in from the opposite direction. I eventually just disbanded my landing force so I could finish a turn without having to watch the AI move hundreds of units around for 20 minutes.

I have (thank god) never seen anything like that against myself, but the AI seems to be positively vicious when playing odd man out.
Old May 24, 2002, 06:44   #39
sgrig
Warlord

Local Time: 00:56
In one of my games I invaded China which was on a continent on the other side of the world (256x256 map) using a off-shore island I captured before as a base. I captured one of their small coastal cities in order to use it as a base for further expansion into the interior, so I landed lots of Mech Infs and Modern Armours in (a total of about 30 units, including a few marine), however the next got really shocked to see two enemy stack approach my city - one stack with about 70 Infantries and 20 Mech Infs, and another stack with about 10 Infantries and 5 mech Infs. I spent the whole turn bombarding these two stacks by my Carrier-borne airforce, and navy. Also my Modern Armours were modded so that they could also bombard. When those two stacks finally attacked, their losses were about 70 units total, while I lost 16 units. Then I landed so more Mech Infs and Modern Armour and after more bombardment practically fully annhilated what was left of the enemy stack (althoug they did reinforcements). The turn after that they retreated. Unfornately, I was in Democracy, so by that time war weariness started kicking in, so I had to sign a piece treaty. China lost almost half of all its modern ground units!

After everything was finished, I realised that it would've been much easier to nuke the stacks. I had a few nuclear subs with tactical nukes floating nearby, plus I had 5 ICBMs in my homeland!!

It's great that the AI is using such big stacks, but it would help if it used attack units such as Cavalry and Tanks more, and would actually have some artillery with its stacks to bombard city defenses. Also has anyone ever seen AI bombers attack your units or cities?