Old October 13, 2000, 14:58   #1
Daddy-O
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesC3CDG Team BabylonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 17:45
Local Date: October 30, 2010
What to buy?
I have played Civ2 before and loved it. Now I want my own copy but with so many versions which should I buy? ToT looks to have many neat new features over Civ2. Is it worth it? Should I buy Call To Power? Can I play against someone else head to head ie not over a LAN?

Thanks for your time.
Old October 13, 2000, 17:44   #2
SunTzu
Prince

Local Time: 22:45
Buy Civilization 2 Multiplayer Gold Edition! That's the best version, and u can play via internet......
Old October 13, 2000, 17:47   #3
Daddy-O
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesC3CDG Team BabylonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Team Banana
Emperor

But do I get the option of Future or Fantasy worlds, above and below ground that ToT has?

oh and thanks
Old October 14, 2000, 07:26   #4
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Well, tough question!

Let's deal with CTP 1st. Most people who loved civ2 didn't appreciate it that much, and I agree with them. I think it lack the balance and the atmosphere of civ2. I tried CTP but never managed to finish a game. CTP is maybe not such a bad game, but if you love civ2, it is not what you need.

I can't help you to choose between MGE and ToT. I've got and play both of them.
ToT has different (are they improved ?) graphics a little more customizing options for scenarios and - it's the big point - a sci-fi, an extended, and a fantasy games included. It's great.
But MGE is the standard ! You can play multiplayer with ToT, but most people play it with MGE (someone correct me if I am wrong) and almost every good scenario available has been made for MGE. And I like the HiRes graphics you can download better than those from ToT.

So it's up to you : for conviality MGE, for originality ToT. If you can afford it, buy both of them !

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old October 14, 2000, 21:59   #5
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:45
MGE comes with Fantastic Worlds scenario tools and Conflicts in Civilization.

There is a major problem with ai hostility in MGE.It seems the ais attitude towards you is reset every turn making peaceful interaction close to impossible for any length of time.Unfortunately,this makes many scenarios somewhat unplayable as the creator intended.No problems for a scenario like Red Front but an example is:

I start the WW1 scenario that comes with it as British.Turn 2 I am sneak attacked by the Americans.Not very realistic.

So..if you are interested in multiplayer,then I highly recommend it.If you after solo play and scenarios then I'm not so sure.In the latter case I think you are better off with original civ2 and FW add-on if you can find it.

Major MGE pro:you can find it for $20US or less.
Old October 15, 2000, 03:02   #6
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Ditto, SunTzu's comment.

No Contest.

RAH
Old October 15, 2000, 21:28   #7
zyxpsilon
Warlord

MGE for overall "packaged" content (Multiplayers, FW, CC, plenty of scenarios... etc.) and purchasing cost.
TOT for new design of interface (triple mapping levels, options... etc.) and 64K's graphics.

But... if you're not in a hurry, might be a good idea to wait a little for CIV-III.
Old October 19, 2000, 16:59   #8
Daddy-O
Emperor

Thanks for your help.

re wait for CIV3. That's funny!
Old October 20, 2000, 08:51   #9
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Wait for CivIII... HA HA HA HA!

Who knows how they are going to manage to screw up a good game, or when it will come out, and how long it will take them to fix the bugs.

I'll probably still be playing MGE after it comes out.
So buy MGE if you want to play with real people!
Old November 7, 2000, 17:46   #10
Andz83

I agree with Ming