Old May 14, 2001, 09:53   #1
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 20:00
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Barbarian town sighted !!
Rollo_CH in another thread spotted a barbarian town in the Firaxis update screenshot (apologies if some did as well in earlier threads)
Firaxis Gameplay Screenshot 2

It's located south of Berlin and west of Rome. It's got a different architecture then both the pop1 German city and the Roman colony, so the only thing left is a barbarian city.

Could it be a minor civ? There isn't any border, but would minor civs have borders?
[This message has been edited by SerapisIV (edited May 14, 2001).]
Old May 14, 2001, 10:02   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 02:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It could be a zero-culture town belonging to the white player (there is the corner of another similar town just in the bottom left corner of the map.

I would expect any Civ to have culture related borders to their towns. If it is true that minors are barbarians then their culture is likely to be pretty low.
Old May 14, 2001, 10:08   #3
SerapisIV
King

I don't think so only because the Germans have a pop1 town in the same screenshot and the architecture and raw size is different. I don't think a pop1 town would be that impacted by culture, aside from its borders, so the baseline pop1 architecture (especially ancient) shouldn't change that much.
Old May 14, 2001, 10:12   #4
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:00
As I can see it is a colony. Isn't that right?
Old May 14, 2001, 10:16   #5
SerapisIV
King

The Romans are operating a colony north east of Rome, its a different architecture from that of the colony in the same screenshot and that of the resource tutorial. What else could it be but a barbarian town? Firaxis has already said that barbarians will have actual cities in CivIII, this town has no name and is unconnected to any Civ's borders or roads
Old May 14, 2001, 10:24   #6
Grumbold
Emperor

It is quite likely that these are barbarians but there have been mentions of 16 nations of 4 distinct cultures. A different culture could have those town graphics as opposed to the roman town models.
Old May 14, 2001, 11:05   #7
SerapisIV
King

But the raw size of the town is also much smaller. Generally a pop1 city should have the same size city tile (for game uniformity) no matter what the culture or technology. The barbarian town is noticeably smaller. In addition, why is there no city name at least? I can understand not seeing the production if its not your civ, but why no town name? It's within explored territory? I cannot find any arguement for it being a full civ city and not a barbarian/minor civ city
Old May 14, 2001, 13:07   #8
SerapisIV
King

Finally, some agreement, yeah I see the cutoff town too. Could barbarian towns be clustered? Sort of minor nations, not "civilized" enough to be treated as a full civilization? There's been talk of such, could this be them? Finally, Civ3 might make it so that you can't expand all the way through North America without having to fight the natives.

Hopefully we can say goodbye to the early game land-rush, now the early game might actually/kind of reflect past history and expansion means war and conquest of less advanced peoples.
Old May 14, 2001, 13:08   #9
Grumbold
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by DrFell on 05-14-2001 12:25 PM
Notice in the bottom left corner there's another city with the same architecture. Looks like they're barb cities to me.

Edit: and look at the warrior on the city! Surely barbarian.
[This message has been edited by DrFell (edited May 14, 2001).]

That looks like the warrior art on the Civ site. The basic 'I have no tech' grunt that everyone will start with. Since the hovel doesn't look like the classical architecture or the celtic architecture and has no name or size I'll give in gracefully and agree its a barbarian settlement
Old May 14, 2001, 13:32   #10
Kurgan
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:00
Hi SERAPIS IV, I have problems trying to view the three screenshots in the CIV3 web. I did not have any problems with the rest of the updates. But in the first post of this topic you have put a link to one of the screenshots, and I can see it without problems. Could you make a link to the other two?

Thanks a lot
Old May 14, 2001, 13:51   #11
SerapisIV
King

It's just the middle screenshot from the Firaxis site. Just go to their webpage, I just linked the thread there. I don't know enough about linking and html and all that stuff to say whats wrong, so you might as well find it yourself straight from the Firaxis site. It's on the screenshot page, most recent update (May 11), middle screenshot.
Old May 15, 2001, 00:25   #12
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Notice in the bottom left corner there's another city with the same architecture. Looks like they're barb cities to me.

Edit: and look at the warrior on the city! Surely barbarian.
[This message has been edited by DrFell (edited May 14, 2001).]