Old May 21, 2002, 03:05   #1
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 19:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Star Wars Galaxies
Found a video of the game in action. It's a massively multiplayer Star Wars game.

I'm going to cry it's so amazing!
http://www14.big.or.jp/~gesao/swceleb2_swg.wmv
(warning: 40MB)

Please ignore the obnoxious guy who filmed it.
Old May 21, 2002, 04:32   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 18:02
I have to put up with an obnoxious guy?

hmm I don't know...
Old May 21, 2002, 04:46   #3
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

You can turn off your sound.
Old May 21, 2002, 05:37   #4
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 02:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Oh my gosh, it's gorgeous!

I hope there will be an open beta test...
Old May 21, 2002, 08:13   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:02
Wow that looks good ...

very nice graphics.
Old May 21, 2002, 09:39   #6
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 21:02
I am really pysched about this game.
Old May 21, 2002, 10:07   #7
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I wonder what kind of loot those AT-AT Walkers drop?
It's just an EQ clone (and a star wars game, no less). All the graphics in the world isn't going to make it any less crap.

I find it pretty telling that they are just showing off graphics and scripted scenes, rather then saying anything about the gameplay or talking about it's features. I also like how they've already got an expansion lined up.

Do It Ourselves
Old May 21, 2002, 10:15   #8
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: I wonder what kind of loot those AT-AT Walkers drop?
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
It's just an EQ clone (and a star wars game, no less).
These two factors alone should make it sell by the bucket-load.

I agree with you that it will probably be rubbish ... i don't like MMORPG's anyway, but it will certainly be very popular.

You do have to worry about the gameplay of a title if the videos they release of it don't really show any gameplay. Well ... I suppose me and you won't have to worry about the gameplay, Osweld, because we won't be playing it, but I hope others aren't too disappointed.
Old May 21, 2002, 14:05   #9
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Re: I wonder what kind of loot those AT-AT Walkers drop?
Quote:
It's just an EQ clone (and a star wars game, no less). All the graphics in the world isn't going to make it any less crap.
I really disagree. EQ worked very well, and Star Wars is a natural for an online game such as this.

Quote:
I find it pretty telling that they are just showing off graphics and scripted scenes, rather then saying anything about the gameplay or talking about it's features. I also like how they've already got an expansion lined up.
I find it pretty telling that you didn't bother to actually look at the previews online of it, which include detailed descriptions of gameplay.
Old May 21, 2002, 14:51   #10
Lonestar
inmate
King

Re: Re: I wonder what kind of loot those AT-AT Walkers drop?
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

I find it pretty telling that you didn't bother to actually look at the previews online of it, which include detailed descriptions of gameplay.
As they say in Chess, Oswald, "Checkmate!"
Old May 21, 2002, 14:55   #11
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

And regarding the expansion lineup:
This is a good sign for MMORPGs.

They're long life projects, and constantly need new material to keep them up to date. The expansion will add space and probably improve graphics. Since the expansion will have a long time in development, I can assume it won't be a rushed POS like the EQ expansions were.

The video didn't mention the gameplay because, well, why would you watch a video of a guy talking for gameplay?
That's what text is for.
Old May 21, 2002, 15:04   #12
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Re: Re: I wonder what kind of loot those AT-AT Walkers drop?
Quote:

I really disagree. EQ worked very well, and Star Wars is a natural for an online game such as this.
So you don't deny that it is an EQ clone, and that it is a Star Wars game?

I rest my case.

Quote:
They are selling the game through hype and eye candy. Rather then demonstrating gameplay or talking about what kind of new concepts and features they are offering to the genre, they just show a bunch of fancy graphics and a Star Wars logo. That gives a pretty good indication that the gameplay is just as much crap as it was in EQ, and that they are not offering anything new outside of eye candy and a popular logo.

Do It Ourselves
Old May 21, 2002, 15:20   #13
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Re: Re: Re: I wonder what kind of loot those AT-AT Walkers drop?
Quote:
So you don't deny that it is an EQ clone, and that it is a Star Wars game?

I rest my case.
It's certainly not an EQ clone, as it's nothing like EQ aside from it being a MMORPG.

Any moron who can read a preview can see that.

Quote:
They are selling the game through hype and eye candy. Rather then demonstrating gameplay or talking about what kind of new concepts and features they are offering to the genre, they just show a bunch of fancy graphics and a Star Wars logo. That gives a pretty good indication that the gameplay is just as much crap as it was in EQ, and that they are not offering anything new outside of eye candy and a popular logo.
Look at the PC.IGN.COM preview of it, they talk about the gameplay.

The video showed off graphics because that's the people who were presenting (the graphics people). That's what's on video ,because talk about gameplay doesn't translate well to video.
Old May 21, 2002, 15:21   #14
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
And regarding the expansion lineup:
This is a good sign for MMORPGs.

They're long life projects, and constantly need new material to keep them up to date. The expansion will add space and probably improve graphics. Since the expansion will have a long time in development, I can assume it won't be a rushed POS like the EQ expansions were.
The game isn't even done yet.

They are obviously just scheming up ways to sucker as much money out of their customers as possible - if they cared about the game, they would be adding it to the original product rather then designing it as an expansion at the same time as they are developing what is to be the 'original' product.

But this is, of course, not surpising from Lucas Arts and Sony.

Quote:
The video didn't mention the gameplay because, well, why would you watch a video of a guy talking for gameplay?
That's what text is for.
This was from E3, right? I thought E3 was a gaming convention - not a computer graphics convention.

They go there to show what they have - Lucas Arts and Sony did just that, they showed a bunch of eye candy and the star wars logo.

Do It Ourselves
Old May 21, 2002, 17:05   #15
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Ugh... more MMORPGs.

I can safely say, that I probably won't buy one in the near future. No way am I paying a monthly fee for a game .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 21, 2002, 18:10   #16
RonHiler
Warlord

Local Time: 17:02
Re: Re: Re: I wonder what kind of loot those AT-AT Walkers drop?
Quote:
Huh, what a very closed mind you have, Osweld. I have seen many previews that talk extensively about the gameplay. Several people have pointed out a few of them to you, yet still you persist in your totally wrong statement that "they're showing nothing but graphics". What's up with that?

Hell, there's a 12 page preview of the game in this months CGW. Yes, there are screenshots, but there is plenty of text in those pages describing gameplay in pretty good detail. As to your EQ argument, the third and fourth sentences of that preview go like this "Let's just make EverQuest in space. That was the first thing the developers of Star Wars Galaxies made sure not to have as a design goal."

So where, exactly, is your problem?

It's fine if you want to dislike SWG, but your persistance in the idea that they're selling fancy graphics over content is an unfounded and baseless argument. Come up with another one. The developers have released tons of gameplay details.

The game could suck. No doubt about it. But from what I've read about the gameplay (in the previews that describe them which apparently you refuse to believe exist), if they deliver on what they've promised, it's going to be a very big game indeed.

I happen to agree with you that MMORPGs are pretty bad. Asheron's Call is the only decent one that exists (in my opinion), and even that one has its share of problems. EQ is coaster material, as far as I'm concerned. But even I'm going to check out SWG when it's released, given what I've heard about it.

Ron
Old May 21, 2002, 19:20   #17
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
This was from E3, right? I thought E3 was a gaming convention - not a computer graphics convention.

They go there to show what they have - Lucas Arts and Sony did just that, they showed a bunch of eye candy and the star wars logo.
You should probably stop talking now, you still don't get it.

Couple things:
1) E3 doesn't start till tomorrow, this is all pre-E3 stuff.
2) The video you saw was only part of the presentation. If you actually watched the whole thing, you'd see the guy ran out of video while the graphics guys were still talking.

You're making wild and baseless statements off nothing. Cease and desist.

Asheron's Call 2 and Star Wars Galaxies are coming out at around the same time. It's going to be tough trying to go through college then.
Old May 21, 2002, 19:26   #18
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 11:02
Every Star Wars game except for the X-Wing and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series has sucked, so I'd be suprised if this is any good...
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old May 21, 2002, 19:58   #19
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:

You should probably stop talking now, you still don't get it.

Couple things:
1) E3 doesn't start till tomorrow, this is all pre-E3 stuff.
2) The video you saw was only part of the presentation. If you actually watched the whole thing, you'd see the guy ran out of video while the graphics guys were still talking.
Then what, exactly, is it from? Is it just an early presentation? I stoped watching as soon as they mentioned an expansion. I thought they where done talking about the actual game at that point, anyways.

Regardless, it doesn't change how I feel about the game: It's all hype and eye candy - just like every star wars game, and EQ.

Quote:
You're making wild and baseless statements off nothing.
But they are all true.

Do It Ourselves
Old May 21, 2002, 20:00   #20
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

It looks great, but I'm not sure I like those MMOG's (I think I messed up that anacronym ). There are many gameplay issues I don't like about them. Perhaps that is why I haven't bought one yet. We'll see...
Old May 21, 2002, 22:11   #21
Zkribbler
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Case
Every Star Wars game except for the X-Wing and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series has sucked. . .
Star Wars Racer was also pretty good. & now it's down to just $10.