Old May 14, 2001, 17:44   #1
LRotan
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A few things.
I'm new to the forums here and I apologize if any of the following suggestions have been brought up before. These are a few things that I'd like to see in Civ III.

1. More realistic attitudes at the diplomacy table. In Civ II, it took a lot to get another nation to ally with you and even more to maintain that alliance. I think that it should be hard to reach an alliance, but not too difficult to maintain afterwards as long as you keep your word. In the Civ games I've played(I admit, I haven't played them all), another nation would break an alliance if you got too powerful, if you grew too weak, or on a whim if they had no other excuse. I would think that being powerful would be a good reason to *keep* an alliance with someone, but that's me. Overall, they seemed to have this attitude of not caring at all about agreements you've struck with them. I also noticed that whenever an agreement like a peace treaty or an alliance was struck between you and another nation, that nation almost always immediately turned hostile toward you no matter how hard I tried to keep them happy. Basically, I'd just like to see agreements held in a little higher regard and more realistically than previously implemented. I can see some nations being belligerant and overall extremely uncooperative for no good reason, but I don't think all of them should be that way.

2. Better negotiation techniques. There's a difference between saying "We're kinda low on cash right now, could you spare a little?" and "Your pathetic civilization is no match for us! Give us money right now!".

3. Mutual war. This is one of the aspects of Civ II that I really loved. When another nation starts picking on my allies, I'll gladly help fight them off. The problem was it didn't happen all that often and if it did, your allies would lead you to war, decide that they didn't want the alliance anymore, and then you're stuck warring with someone that you had no particular problem with before. It kinda stretches into my first point a little.

4. Map sharing. This is a minor thing, but I've never gotten anyone to share maps with me, so the option is rather useless. I think it should be tweaked a bit or removed altogether.

Well, that's it really. Just a few things I'd like to see in Civ III. Some of it might be due to my playing style, but the points seem to be universal no matter how I approach it. I have no clue if any of these are already planned for tweaking, so if I hit on an old issue, sorry. Heh. Anyway, happy gaming and I can't wait for Civ III!

LRotan
Old May 14, 2001, 17:53   #2
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 20:00
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Welcome to the forum!

You have never been able to share maps? I do it all the time in Civ2, and it is a crucial part of diplomacy for me. Hopefully the Civ3 "bargaining table" will make them even more valuable, and a better choice.

As for the rest of your arguments, I completely agree... see Raingoon's latest column for more on that. Firaxis looks like they are doing a lot for diplomacy, so I hope a more competent and trustworthy AI is part of that.

------------------
"Third option, third option!"
Let's have civ bonuses that YOU control!
Old May 14, 2001, 18:01   #3
LRotan
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thanks for the welcome. Really? You've gotten them to share maps? They always tell me mine are worthless and they don't need them. Do you do it early in the game or later on?

LRotan
Old May 14, 2001, 18:05   #4
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 20:00
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Usually, all they have to do is be friendly and have a peace treaty, although not always. If you are allied, they will almost always share maps. Try giving them some gold, increasing their disposition towards you, and then ask them.

Map sharing is more difficult than tech sharing, but I think this is for a reason. Techs can be harmful to you if you trade them (trading gunpowder to your enemy), but giving away your maps (and thus the location of all your cities) can be devastating if you choose your friends unwisely.

------------------
"Third option, third option!"
Let's have civ bonuses that YOU control!