Old May 14, 2001, 23:20   #1
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 01:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Firaxians, PLEASE READ!!!!!
To any Firaxians who read this,
I'd just like to say, first up, that I am a long-time Civ fan, and I think the majority of the concepts you've put forward for Civ III are Fantastic!!
This said, however, the one concept which I still don't like the sound of is the Combat model. I've put an idea for a combat model to you in the last 2 weeks, but I accept that for Civ novices it may have been a bit complex. With this in mind, I'd like to suggest a revised version of my original model, and I beg you to give it serious consideration!

1) Simultaneous Combat: For me, this is the most important concept for a battle between armies. I feel that each unit in an army should fight simultaneously against an enemy army/unit. This could be done by having a group of paired combats, where each unit in a stack is immediately paired off with an enemy of equal strength (or weaker) in the opposing army. If any units are left over after initial pairing, then they can gang up on an enemy unit that is already engaged in combat. After each time damage is resolved, the computer can determine new pairings based on the new strength of each unit (based on hit-points).
N.B. All pairings would be decided by the computer.

2) Range and Mobility: Range and mobility should play some role in combat success. To make things simple, you could just say that armies engage each other at a default range based on each armies maximum sight range and/or each armies maximum weapons range. If the enemy army lies outside any units maximum weapons range, then it cannot attack (but can defend). Each time after damage is resolved, each army reduces the range to its enemy by X meters/feet (this X can be anywhere between 10-1000). The amount each army can close the gap would be based on the movement rate of the slowest unit in each army. This gap closing process would cease when all units are within weapons range. N.B. Some units should also have a Minimum range; below this range, the unit can no longer fire (it can still defend), and should thus be withdrawn from combat!
3) Combined Arms: This could simply be that armies consisting of a mix of different unit types will get a bonus to attack/defense. Whereas armies consisting of 1 unit type do not (or receive a penalty).
4) Armour: I feel that units should have an armour rating. If an enemies firepower is less than this armour rating, then it can not do damage. This would be a good way to stop phalanxes from damaging Tanks!!
5) Non-Army stacks: So far you've only dealt with armies consisting of ground units. I'm curious to know whether it will be possible to do the same thing for naval and aerial units (thus making Squadrons and Navies!!) Combined with the above combat model, I think naval and air squadrons would become quite formidable!
As I've already said, I beg you to give the ideas I've raised above some serious consideration, and I hope to hear any comments you wish to make in the near future.
Thank-you,
The_Aussie_Lurker (aka Marcus Hicks).

P.S.: Could you possibly tell the forum what era Nationalism would be available in Civ III, as this is another matter of great concern.
Old May 14, 2001, 23:44   #2
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 01:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hi Again,
I just have a couple of clarification points to make concerning my above post.
Firstly, units which "gang-up" on an enemy unit should all get bonuses to their attack strength and/or firepower. The size of the bonus would depend on by how much they outnumber the enemy unit!
Secondly, a unit can pair off with any enemy unit, regardless of strength, but only if other viable targets are not availiable!
Thank-you again for your time, and I hope to hear back from you soon.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker