Old May 23, 2002, 00:19   #1
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 20:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Why Korea may *NOT* be included in the XP
First and foremost, I do hope Korea does make it in the game. If it were up to me they would certainly be in, but at this point there are good reasons to believe that they are not included.
The gamespot preview of e3 released just moments ago reveals that there is going to be 17 (!) new units in the Feudal Japan themepack. That is a large number of units, and the fact that they didn't show any pictures of any of the WW II or Feudal Japan scenarios in the released screenshots besides possibly this one, points strongly in the direction of this unit IS actually from a scenario. In fact, in all the websites which mention the hwacha, it is always being described as being a time in which Korea was at war with Japan. This fact alone strongly points to Korea only existing in the feudal japan scenario.
If Korea is out, that means there will be an american civ at least, most likely the Inca, and at least one middle-eastern civ. However, my prediction is this, with all the violence in the middle-east Firaxis may not want to stir up any contraversy prematurely, but I think the last two civilizations will be the Hebrews and the Arabs.
Old May 23, 2002, 00:21   #2
monkspider
King

On a goodnote, if Korea is only in the themepack, then at least it will be easy for our hackers to add them as a 9th civ, even if they only have one animated leaderhead. They will certainly have a number of cool UUs to choose from.
Old May 23, 2002, 04:47   #3
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 02:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Your guess about Korea as a Civ only available in Feudal Japan have some point, still I don't believe Firaxis would develop a full Civ only for scenario purpose.

I agree they would develop specific units for scenario purpose (but they will probably be available from start, not related to a dedicated tech tree).

So, while the Korea guess seems to me to be based mostly on the picture of the unit "hwacha", I suppose we can have Firaxis mixing Korean and Japanese units for Japanese scenario (hence, the hwacha could be only a new unit added to Japan set for scenario purpose.

That is, or the Korea is a regular Civ of the new bunch of eight added.
Old May 23, 2002, 09:19   #4
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Yeah, developing a Civ complete with animated units and leader heads just for a scenario seems a bit wasteful. Still, if it is possible to do, then it's a good thing - in that case we can lookj forward to many very interesting scenarios, at least if the editor is up to scratch this time.
Old May 23, 2002, 12:02   #5
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:09
it will be added AND used in the japanese thing...they wouldnt make so much without adding it as a normal civ too

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 23, 2002, 13:43   #6
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I agree with Civman. That much effort wasted on a singel scenario is improbable indeed.
Old May 23, 2002, 16:09   #7
JtheJackal
Warlord

Why is it so hard to beleive Korea will make it into the game?
Old May 23, 2002, 22:49   #8
monkspider
King

Probably the strongest reason that we are jumping to conclusions with Korea here, and one that I didn't think of until a few moments ago, is that their unit would be an artillery unit and as such, it would be one that would turn our system of Golden Ages on it's ear. Currently, a golden age occurs when a UU "wins" a battle, and I don't see how Artillery can "win" a battle unless lethal bombardment is turned on, and even then it is considerably more difficult than other units.
I think that with all these factors taken into consideration, unfortunately, it seems Korea will be relegated to the Feudal Japan scenario.

Last edited by monkspider; May 24, 2002 at 00:34.
Old May 23, 2002, 22:52   #9
monkspider
King

I really, really hope that I am proven wrong though. I was once a key supporter of Korea in the XP civs vote a few months back.
Old May 23, 2002, 23:02   #10
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

good point...maybe it somehow won't be artillery ...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 24, 2002, 03:33   #11
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
good point...maybe it somehow won't be artillery ...
Yes, may be it ends to act as a different kind of lonbowmen (different statistics).
Old May 24, 2002, 09:01   #12
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 11:09
I remain hopeful that the Koreans will be in. As already said, it would be wasteful to make them just for the Feudal Japan themepack.

I hope that there are more units in this themepack than just the hwacha that could be used as a Korean UU, since I'd like to see the Turtle Ship in, and if it doesn't get in, then I could at least grab it from the themepack, rather than having to export it from the AOE2 XP.
Old May 24, 2002, 16:06   #13
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 21:09
All the unit portraits already shown were UUs for various civs. That makes me think the Hwacha is the UU for Korea as well.
Old May 24, 2002, 16:36   #14
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:09
I think that Infogrames didn't unveil anything precise about the graphic packs... The first possible reason is that they're not ready (it seems they're toying with the idea of adding a dinosaur pack as well). The second possible reason is that Infogrames doesn't want to disclose all the new info at the same time.
Anyhow, I think we've seen only graphics from the regular game, and I'm happy to believe the Koreans will make it. Possibly, we'll know tomorrow the name of the last Civ.
Old May 24, 2002, 16:44   #15
monkspider
King

Good points folks, we will find out soon.
I still think it is much more likely that Firaxis will include at least one American civ in the XP (either the Inca or Mayas) than the Korean unit is in fact, not part of the theme pack.
In any event, nothing at this point may be set in stone. Anyone remember the Russian UU MiG graphics that they had circulating for the longest time after Civ 3 was announced?
Old May 24, 2002, 16:45   #16
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Bah, screw a dinosaur pack. Give us a Roman pack or something. Or a good modern warfare pack. Not... dinosaurs...
Old May 24, 2002, 16:51   #17
monkspider
King

No way Trip, Dinosaurs=
Old May 24, 2002, 16:59   #18
Jon Shafer

Oh my goodness...
Old May 24, 2002, 18:30   #19
The Eliminator
Warlord

Dinosaurs and Koreans? Please, I hope Firaxis doesn't make Civ worse than it already is.
Old May 25, 2002, 01:45   #20
Andydog
Civilization IV PBEMIron Civers
Emperor

I too was wondering about this dinosaur pack. Dinosaus??? Seems strange to me, what technology would you need to research to attack with a t-rex for example? And what resources? Coal?? I think not. I can't see how it would work.

Imagine loosing London to a bunch of Diplodicus. Crazy.

I would also prefer a modern warfare pack, but who knows, come XP we may see threads singing praises for the dinos.

Bring on the lizard battles.
Old May 25, 2002, 01:49   #21
Jon Shafer

If they do do it, then they're design team will probably spend a month on it, and so doing, change all the techs, civs, resources, etc. I really hope that the whole speculation over the dino pack is just some bad joke. I'd much rather have any period in (human) history than something so outlandish and wasteful...
Old May 25, 2002, 02:23   #22
The Eliminator
Warlord

Yeah, concentrate on modern warfare. Pretty soon he'll be trying to incorporate his "Golf" game into Civ.
Old May 25, 2002, 02:27   #23
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Eliminator
Yeah, concentrate on modern warfare. Pretty soon he'll be trying to incorporate his "Golf" game into Civ.
Ahhhh, don't kid like that!
We'll see "Castle Pines" Civilization unleashing upon the world with its UU "driverless golf cart."
Old May 25, 2002, 02:44   #24
Switch
Prince

feel the wrath of my caddie!
Old May 26, 2002, 01:48   #25
Andydog
Civilization IV PBEMIron Civers
Emperor

I just watched that PTW video from E3; I saw dinorsaurs!

Dinosaurs are definitely in. I can't believe it.
Old May 26, 2002, 02:53   #26
PhoenixPhlame73
Chieftain

On the main page several days ago did it not say that 6 of the eight new civs were known and tha Korea was one of them???

Ack......dinosaurs??? How 'bout you take away the dinosaurs and give us wonder movies!!!
Old May 26, 2002, 03:21   #27
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Bah, screw a dinosaur pack. Give us a Roman pack or something. Or a good modern warfare pack. Not... dinosaurs...
Dinosaurs could be used by modders to add a new japanese UU...
Old May 26, 2002, 04:27   #28
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:09
Just thought of something regarding the AI unit being an artillery unit. The main thing is that the unit gets "bloodied" up in starting a Golden Age. They could easily make it so that a successful bombard can also start a Golden Age. It would be a good option to provide anyways, for scenario creation.
Old May 26, 2002, 07:18   #29
moomin
King

I think the Japanase ought to have Godzilla as their UU!
Old May 26, 2002, 11:35   #30
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by moominparatrooper
I think the Japanase ought to have Godzilla as their UU!
Well take a mean-looking dino in the dino pack and just say it's Godzila.