Old May 23, 2002, 11:39   #1
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 02:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
AI asking for UN vote ?
Has anyone ever seen the AI building the UN and asking for a vote?
In my last game China built the UN and never asked for a vote until I launched my space ship about 50 turns after. Did it know I would win the vote?
Old May 23, 2002, 11:44   #2
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Hmm, good question. I had one early deity game where the AI got the UN and won the vote, since then I haven't let them get it. They didn't ask for the vote straight away though, so maybe the AI does 'check' the result beforing taking the vote. Anyone seen a tie/loss after the AI holds an election?
Old May 23, 2002, 13:02   #3
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 21:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
In GOTM7 at CivFanatics, the AI built the UN and used it immediately, and there was no winner. No majority or some such.
Old May 24, 2002, 13:36   #4
Txurce
Prince

Local Time: 01:10
I almost always build the UN to keep it out of the AI's hands, then hold off votes. But in my last game, a civ built it ahead of me, and immediately asked for a vote - a first in my experience. More surprisingly, the voting went like this: me three, them one, with one abstention. The abstention was the #2 power, with whom we were all at war. There's a lot of food for thought here... like why the UN builders thought they'd win, why the #2 power didn't vote for itself and, for that matter, why the other two voted for me. (I had been nice to them in a puppetmaster strat, but equally nice to the UN builders.)
Old May 24, 2002, 18:27   #5
AIL
Warlord

That whole UN-Thing shall be overworked and made somewhat like in MOO... It was cool, when after a voting of 2 AI's one came to you and offered an Alliance in Thankfullness while the other threatened to declare war on you if you'd vote their Opponent again...
Old May 24, 2002, 18:33   #6
Beammeuppy
Settler

Sounds like the AI also makes use of the human player option to call for a vote or leave it.

With all the money the AI is waisting on whatever I usually take the safe side and keep UN for myself and only call a vote when appropriate, which is basically never!
Old May 24, 2002, 19:54   #7
BillChin
Warlord

Local Time: 17:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I just lost a Deity level game by U. N. Funny thing is that the civ that built it, lost the vote. Idiots.
Old May 25, 2002, 07:09   #8
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by BillChin
I just lost a Deity level game by U. N. Funny thing is that the civ that built it, lost the vote. Idiots.
Either votes are totally random, which is not fun , or the AI is not omniscient, even at deity level.
Old May 28, 2002, 16:21   #9
High Lord J
Warlord

In a recent game on Warlord difficutly, Normal sized, continet map, and 3 civilizlations were left (Me (China),Greece, and Germans this is what happend...

Greece called for a vote I abstained and the two others voted for themselves.

China called for a vote and I still had never finished a game and didn't know someone could win off being elected so I voted for Greece and lost...

Can only two civs bulid the UN? It wouldn't let me bulid it...
Old May 29, 2002, 06:22   #10
Dr. Stiby
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Anyone seen a tie/loss after the AI holds an election?
I actually had this at my first game. The AI called for an election. I wasn't only a mediocre civ. I was at war with both the civs I could vote for, so I decided to abstain. It turned out the voting went 3-3. Lcky me!
Eventually I won that game with a Space Race victory!