Old May 23, 2002, 18:10   #1
Stuie
King

Local Time: 21:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Fully functioning editor in June...!!!!
From wargamer.com:

"However, our attentive reporters caught another little tidbit, casually mentioned during their conversation. Apparently there are plans to release a fully functional Scenario/Map Editor, complete with multiplayer tools, as early as June."

http://www.wargamer.com/news/default...22193974,18997
Old May 23, 2002, 19:18   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
like i've said before, i expect them to release some kind of multiplayer for free, but if you want the the whole thing , you've got the pay for it. Wich to me seems fairto me, if they throw in the editor, let's not argue 'bout that ok

have fun
Old May 23, 2002, 19:47   #3
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 18:11
I'm not sure "multiplayer tools" means the same thing as "multiplayer capabilities." The "tools" are related to the scenario editor to be released in a (free) patch. My guess is that the greatly enhanced editor will allow true scenario creation, including city / unit placement, etc.

So, each of you scenario creators can select multiple human player locations and civs (i.e., can create scenarios for MP), which are unplayable as such until multiplayer capability is available . . . . thereby whetting the appetite for the coming (NOT free) XP.

At least, that's what I would do . . . .

Catt
Old May 23, 2002, 20:19   #4
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 20:11
I would have gladly shelled out $30 extra for multiplayer and the scenario editor if it came out packaged with Civ3 back in December. Civ3 only needed a little boost to make it into a legend.

But given the disappointment seen in Civ3 so far, I'd take a "wait and see" approach to this. Probably won't be the be all, end all of Civ editing, but if there is some scenario potential, I reckon its better than none.
Old May 23, 2002, 20:27   #5
Coracle
Prince

I paid fifty bucks for a beta, incomplete game last December.

I expect scenarios as a free patch, or the like.

I don't really care about MP.
Old May 23, 2002, 20:46   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
I paid fifty bucks for a beta, incomplete game last December.

I expect scenarios as a free patch, or the like.

I don't really care about MP.
does this happen automatically??
kind of like a standard form, fill in the blanks kind of thing?
Old May 23, 2002, 21:42   #7
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Local Time: 17:11
Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
like i've said before, i expect them to release some kind of multiplayer for free, but if you want the the whole thing , you've got the pay for it. Wich to me seems fairto me, if they throw in the editor, let's not argue 'bout that ok

have fun
That makes a lot of sense, buisness-wise. If they release the senerio editor in June, we can expect at least 5 _good_ senerios come october when the XP arrives. People will buy the XP, and come looking for senarios. Which will exist...

Remember the World Trade Center
Old May 24, 2002, 04:26   #8
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 01:11
To be honest - I only really want the scenario editor. What then, is the point of buying the XP
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 24, 2002, 05:22   #9
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 02:11
I suppose it depends on whether you can play the games you design without the XP. If you can build a single player WWII scenario with all your own units, stats, techs and map features and play it using the original Civ game, then that will be enough for some players and answer a lot of their critics.
Old May 24, 2002, 13:54   #10
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

If they indeed release the full editor for free, then I consider their reputation as pure as snow. Really, and without irony.

(But I'm sure that even if they do, some whiners will come automagically, just to ruin the party)
Old May 24, 2002, 17:56   #11
zulu9812
King

The 'free' editor will probably have less features than the one you pay for.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 24, 2002, 18:25   #12
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 17:11
Eh... at this point, even with something they might call a "full editor," I don't think the game is salvageable, but we'll see. (How could they possibly integrate a function that allows you to add new city improvements or wonders without completely redesigning, or eliminating, the City View, for example?) Besides, too many numbers are hardcoded, and it's a pain in the ass to work around them.

Still, there are a lot of good ideas in Civ III, and I hope they make enough money to do Civ IV, and really work everything out properly.
Old May 24, 2002, 20:40   #13
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812
The 'free' editor will probably have less features than the one you pay for.
If that's the case, then it will probably only due to the fact that they'll have an extra 4 months to work on it.
Old May 24, 2002, 22:37   #14
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by EnochF
Eh... at this point, even with something they might call a "full editor," I don't think the game is salvageable, but we'll see. (How could they possibly integrate a function that allows you to add new city improvements or wonders without completely redesigning, or eliminating, the City View, for example?) Besides, too many numbers are hardcoded, and it's a pain in the ass to work around them.
We'll see. I, for one, am certain that the editor will allow you to add buildings and Wonders. Call me optimistic.

As far as hard-coded numbers, have you looked at the editor lately? There are less and less hard-coded numbers each iteration.
Old May 24, 2002, 23:46   #15
alva
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Cory

That makes a lot of sense, buisness-wise. If they release the senerio editor in June, we can expect at least 5 _good_ senerios come october when the XP arrives. People will buy the XP, and come looking for senarios. Which will exist...
you're quite right there , still i stand by my other point as well, (yes i do believe/think they WILL release some kink of MP free!!) when is a different question offcourse
but hey we can hope
Old May 25, 2002, 01:44   #16
DarthVeda
Emperor

I fully expect you people will get what you pay for in the scenario editor. Maybe you should take a note from the fact that Firaxis does not appear to be shipping Singleplayer scenarios with the expansion pack.

And as far as I consider it, a scenario editor with no macro language is simply a fancy map editor.
Old May 25, 2002, 02:24   #17
player1
Emperor

Did anybody remember CiC for Civ2?

It had dozen of custom scenarios done by fans.

Maybe they want to try same thing.

Ship editor.

Wait for finished scenarios by fans.

Ask for permission.

Put them on XP pack.
Old May 25, 2002, 07:16   #18
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by player1

Ship editor.

Ask for permission.

Put them on XP pack.
There's a Civ3 video from E3 over at that OTHER civ site, and it specifically states that they are going to take some of the best user created scenarios from the web and put them on the expansion disc. So there you go. Start planning your scenarios now!!
Old May 25, 2002, 07:48   #19
player1
Emperor

Cool!
Old May 25, 2002, 14:49   #20
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Quote:

Ship editor.

Ask for permission.

Put them on XP pack.
A dozen custom made scenarios by fans in CiC? Talk about creeping revisionism...it's eight to be exact and except for one or two exceptions like Don Melsom's East, Wind Rain they were pretty lame...
Old May 25, 2002, 15:06   #21
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Hey, why isn't this discussion going on in Creation????

Or in the PTW forum?

I think it is an editor which allows Single- and Multiplayer scenarios to be created (Multiplayer tool might be to place the flag that shall be grabbed for instance)

Do you think the ediot can run on a computer without Civ3 on it? I highly doubt it. But it would be good for me, as I can't be home mush during that time.
Old May 25, 2002, 23:15   #22
Switch
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
There's a Civ3 video from E3 over at that OTHER civ site, and it specifically states that they are going to take some of the best user created scenarios from the web and put them on the expansion disc. So there you go. Start planning your scenarios now!!
Personally, I think User made scenarios are great, really great. But, if they're going to ship them with the XP, I do hope they polish them up, give a professional feel to them. With the creator's permission, of course. Call me a perfectionist, but I really don't play many user made scenarios simply for the lack of a professional feel.

By polish it up, I mean fix Grammar/spelling, make the map not rigid looking (lots of straight lines), and place cities in both balanced (if the situation calls for it) and astetically pleasing locations. Pretty much, how the AI would NOT place cities.
Old May 26, 2002, 01:13   #23
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

the reaons they're letting us have the editor is because they want us to make scenarios for them. if you saw the e3 video, they said they plan on including a "Best fo Net" scenario pack ala civ2mge. they'll make their fuedal japan / ww2 scenarios, and expect us to come up with 6 or 8 good scenarios.

and the sad part is i think we will.
Old May 26, 2002, 11:46   #24
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:

Ship editor.

Ask for permission.

Put them on XP pack.
hi ,

one of the main reason's it was not there before was that they never believed they could go so far with the game , .......now new possibilities emerge that a lot of people only could dream off before , .......

and there shall be a patch , .......;because firaxis shall listen to the players , ..........

as for scenario's , well that is a wait and see , but for now its sure that there shall be some on the PTW cd , ...........

have a nice day
Old May 26, 2002, 12:14   #25
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 02:11
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
the reaons they're letting us have the editor is because they want us to make scenarios for them. if you saw the e3 video, they said they plan on including a "Best fo Net" scenario pack ala civ2mge. they'll make their fuedal japan / ww2 scenarios, and expect us to come up with 6 or 8 good scenarios.

and the sad part is i think we will.
If people find doing hard work for free is their thing, more power to them. Everybody else will just profit, no? It's not like they intend to go after you with a gun to extract your valuable contribution to the Civ community.
Old May 26, 2002, 12:50   #26
CapTVK
King

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

one of the main reason's it was not there before was that they never believed they could go so far with the game , .......now new possibilities emerge that a lot of people only could dream off before , .......

and there shall be a patch , .......;because firaxis shall listen to the players , ..........
It took Civ2 scenariomakers several years to reach the level they've achieved now. Those Civ3 'possibilities' will take years to develop if not longer. It's far harder to develop a good scenario for Civ3 due to the complexity and the graphics format. In the meantime Civ3 will have to be pretty succesful and stay live long enough for that to happen.

So as long as the people keep buying in sufficient numbers your logic is impeccable....if not...quack quack :
Old May 26, 2002, 12:56   #27
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CapTVK

It took Civ2 scenariomakers several years to reach the level they've achieved now. Those Civ3 'possibilities' will take years to develop if not longer. It's far harder to develop a good scenario for Civ3 due to the complexity and the graphics format. In the meantime Civ3 will have to be pretty succesful and stay live long enough for that to happen.

So as long as the people keep buying in sufficient numbers your logic is impeccable....if not...quack quack :
hi ,

it shall not take years , ......
there is no need for people to buy in sufficient numbers , .....

have a nice day
Old May 26, 2002, 13:05   #28
CapTVK
King

Quote:

hi ,

it shall not take years , ......
there is no need for people to buy in sufficient numbers , .....

have a nice day
Let me put that differently...

"Do you think Civ3 will have the same staying power as Civ2?"

(And I mean staying power as in 5-7 years)
Old May 26, 2002, 13:11   #29
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CapTVK

Let me put that differently...

"Do you think Civ3 will have the same staying power as Civ2?"

(And I mean staying power as in 5-7 years)
hi ,

it's allready proven to go behind that , ........

have a nice day
Old May 26, 2002, 13:17   #30
CapTVK
King

Quote:

hi ,

it's allready proven to go behind that , ........

have a nice day
If you mean "behind" as in "under" or "less then", then we are in agreement.

Enjoy...