Old May 11, 2001, 17:34   #1
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 20:01
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Civ III Site Updated
The site has been updated, and it's a pretty significant one. We've got a new game update that deals with resources and we have a "slideshow" that walks you through how resources work.

We've also got a new edition of ask the Civ team.

And oh, by the way, we have some official screenshots for you as well.
http://www.firaxis.com/civ3

Have a good weekend,

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.
[This message has been edited by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS (edited May 11, 2001).]
Old May 11, 2001, 17:35   #2
markusf
King

Local Time: 01:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
sweet. I will check it out.
Old May 11, 2001, 17:37   #3
markusf
King

where is the windowed mode in the screen shots?

I have finished reading through everything and it looks pretty good. I am glad to see strong influences from master of orion showing up in this game.
I still think there should be a public beta test of civ3 especially on the multiplayer side. I am sure you will find many people willing to help that are programmers and familier with defect tracking/reporting.. like me hint hint

Markus www.civ3online.com
[This message has been edited by markusf (edited May 11, 2001).]
Old May 11, 2001, 17:38   #4
tniem
King

Oh my god! You weren't kidding this is pretty significant. Will be back when I am through with all this stuff about colonies, borders, and other things. But by golly am I excited.

Tell the gang that they have done a great job to this point!
Old May 11, 2001, 17:55   #5
tniem
King

This is somethig that I haven't been able to figure out for sure so I am asking the community and Firaxis if they have time. I have now read the pages multiple times and am confused by the borders. Obviously as the borders expand due to culture, the better your chances for gaining resources such as coal, iron, and oil. But what about regular resources such as food, shilds, and trade? Do I know need to have culture and borders to simply maintain the normal level of production in the past?

My guess is yes, that when you originally build a city you can only farm, mine, etc in your own city. And as culture is added that radius expands. But what about that huge border radius around Rome? Can I place workers anywhere within that border? I would guess not. And by looking at the gallery it has the standard Civ, Civ II, SMAC border tiles shown where the city is going to be founded. So I wonder how exactly does workers in a city work?

Also if luxuries and resources can be shared within your own nation's trade community can more than one nation build colonies near these resources and also gain their advantages? Or do they have to trade with you?

I would say that only one nation can build colonies on a resource and force the world to trade with you. But that is just my belief.

That's it for my questions.
Old May 11, 2001, 18:07   #6
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

quote:

Originally posted by tniem on 05-11-2001 05:55 PM
This is somethig that I haven't been able to figure out for sure so I am asking the community and Firaxis if they have time. I have now read the pages multiple times and am confused by the borders. Obviously as the borders expand due to culture, the better your chances for gaining resources such as coal, iron, and oil. But what about regular resources such as food, shilds, and trade? Do I know need to have culture and borders to simply maintain the normal level of production in the past?

My guess is yes, that when you originally build a city you can only farm, mine, etc in your own city. And as culture is added that radius expands. But what about that huge border radius around Rome? Can I place workers anywhere within that border? I would guess not. And by looking at the gallery it has the standard Civ, Civ II, SMAC border tiles shown where the city is going to be founded. So I wonder how exactly does workers in a city work?

Also if luxuries and resources can be shared within your own nation's trade community can more than one nation build colonies near these resources and also gain their advantages? Or do they have to trade with you?

I would say that only one nation can build colonies on a resource and force the world to trade with you. But that is just my belief.

That's it for my questions.

The way it currently stands, your borders are seperate from your "workable city tiles". The number of city tiles you can work does increase as your city grows, but it doesn't expand nearly as far as your city borders do. Even if your city has only the beginning 1-square (no) border, you can work the requisite number of surrounding squares. But until those squares actually fall within your borders, the enemy can come onto them and do what he pleases. Once you've got borders around those squares, you can tell the other players to get out (and in most cases, they listen).

As for colonies, the resources go to whoever builds a colony and connects it with a road first. Consequently, colonies become key while your borders are expanding, and if you leave them unguarded or weakly guarded, you will pay the price. Also, since colonies need to be connected to a city with roads, an enemy can destroy your roads and sever the connection to that resource.

This can be disastrous, especially when you're relying on goods to pacify unhappy citizens. I had a game going this week and the CPU destroyed my roads at a key juncture and sent four cities into revolt.

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.

[This message has been edited by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS (edited May 11, 2001).]
Old May 11, 2001, 18:10   #7
java4me
Warlord

Local Time: 17:01
tniem has a lot of the same questions that I have. I was also wondering on, how far can the borders extend? What is the limit? And also what would happen if two cities crossed over each other? Would the same thing happen in Civ2? I need these questions answered.

But those screen shots are just mouth watering!!!

The more and more i read on Civ3, the more anxious I get about the game coming out!!!
Old May 11, 2001, 18:10   #8
tniem
King

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS on 05-11-2001 06:07 PM

The way it currently stands, your borders are seperate from your "workable city tiles". The number of city tiles you can work does increase as your city grows, but it doesn't expand nearly as far as your city borders do.

As for colonies, the resources go to whoever builds a colony and connects it with a road first. Consequently, colonies become key while your borders are expanding, and if you leave them unguarded or weakly guarded, you will pay the price. Also, since colonies need to be connected to a city with roads, an enemy can destroy your roads and sever the connection to that resource.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Great work Dan getting all the new Civ III stuff up and the Sim Golf stuff in one week. I propose now that you put new information, screen shots, etc up one week for Civ III and the next for Sim Golf, giving us a new update from the company every week. Of course that is if you aren't already busy from all the work of two games...
[This message has been edited by tniem (edited May 11, 2001).]
Old May 11, 2001, 18:11   #9
markusf
King

quote:

Originally posted by tniem on 05-11-2001 05:55 PM
Obviously as the borders expand due to culture, the better your chances for gaining resources such as coal, iron, and oil. But what about regular resources such as food, shilds, and trade? Do I know need to have culture and borders to simply maintain the normal level of production in the past?

Yup looks that way to me. You can only harvest your own city square until you build a temple or other improvements. Its brillant and solves so many problems. The biggest one of which is ICS. It looks like you won't even be able to produce a settlar until you have a temple built.(your city needs food to get to size 3) The other thing this solves is that someone won't be able to build a ton of units right off the bat and try and go hunting down others. Because getting your city up to size 3 is going to be your number one task...

Markus
www.civ3online.com
Old May 11, 2001, 18:15   #10
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 02:01
Sounds impressive. I haven't had time to absorb the detailed stuff but one brief impression: If cities are going to have that huge fixed wall size, please fill the inside with tightly packed hovels until the improvement buildings displace them. It looks more like a lightly populated scout camp with all that green space inside the walls than a bustling hive of commerce
Old May 11, 2001, 18:15   #11
SerapisIV
King

Dan, what the heck is the psychodelic peace flag in the city window of the last resource tutorial screenshot?

Thanks for the update by the way
Old May 11, 2001, 18:17   #12
SerapisIV
King

Oh yeah, and does a colony take up a whole settler? Or can a simple worker build one? Because if a colony takes up 2 pop, why not just build a new city? Also do the borders depend on an individual cities cutlture or the whole nations?
Old May 11, 2001, 18:19   #13
markusf
King

quote:

Originally posted by SerapisIV on 05-11-2001 06:17 PM
Oh yeah, and does a colony take up a whole settler? Or can a simple worker build one? Because if a colony takes up 2 pop, why not just build a new city? Also do the borders depend on an individual cities cutlture or the whole nations?

Let me guess, worker settlars build colonies and the settlars that take up 2 food build cities.

Old May 11, 2001, 18:22   #14
java4me
Warlord

There are two seperate units, the settler which only makes cities, and the worker who makes colonies, roads, etc...
Old May 11, 2001, 18:41   #15
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 03:01
I like what I read
Old May 11, 2001, 18:46   #16
polymths
Warlord

I wonder though whether the amount of resources you have access to matter or whether access to one resource is as good as access to 10 such resources.

In other words, if you have access to 10 iron, will you be able to create more legions or create them faster than if you had access to only 1 iron mine???
Old May 11, 2001, 18:50   #17
tniem
King

The first appearances of unique civs are beginning to make an appearance (maybe). The Greeks and Romans in the screen shots have cities of the clasical architecture motiff on the map while the Germans have huts that look like stones. I cannot tell whether militiary units are different other color.

Also, Hoplites are a new unit that appear to be in the game. Athens is building a Hoplite. According to the map which I think does a great job of telling what cities are building what, it will complete it in what appears to be 16 turns. Now whether this an unique unit - time will tell.
Old May 11, 2001, 19:02   #18
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Dan: Nothing happens when I click the links on the slide show. Is the highlighting (or whatever) a (gasp!) IE-only feature?
Old May 11, 2001, 19:12   #19
tniem
King

quote:

Originally posted by Snapcase on 05-11-2001 07:02 PM
Dan: Nothing happens when I click the links on the slide show. Is the highlighting (or whatever) a (gasp!) IE-only feature?

Just to check for you I quickly downloaded Netscape 6.0 and yes it does appear to be a IE only feature. If I get some time tonight I'll see if I can get some screen captures to allow all you Netscape people a chance to see what Firaxis has in store.

Old May 11, 2001, 19:18   #20
ancient
Prince

oooh.. ah.. oh umm it looks pretty good tell chao im sorry about the monkey thingy... lol..
[This message has been edited by ancient (edited May 11, 2001).]
Old May 11, 2001, 19:43   #21
Mike Breitkreutz

quote:

Originally posted by SerapisIV on 05-11-2001 06:15 PM
Dan, what the heck is the psychodelic peace flag in the city window of the last resource tutorial screenshot?

Programmer art, baby!

-MB

Old May 11, 2001, 20:19   #22
tniem
King

quote:

Originally posted by tniem on 05-11-2001 07:12 PM
Just to check for you I quickly downloaded Netscape 6.0 and yes it does appear to be a IE only feature. If I get some time tonight I'll see if I can get some screen captures to allow all you Netscape people a chance to see what Firaxis has in store.

As promised, here you go. Not the highest quality due to size of file shrinking coming from a screen capture. But anyway...

Screen 1
Screen 2
Screen 3
Screen 4
Screen 5
Screen 6
Screen 7
Screen 8

Hope this helps, and as thanks why don't you swing by my website, http://www.timfryreport.com .

[This message has been edited by tniem (edited May 11, 2001).]
Old May 11, 2001, 20:20   #23
tniem
King

quote:

Originally posted by SerapisIV on 05-11-2001 06:15 PM

My guess, a "we love the king day."

Old May 11, 2001, 20:36   #24
Roman
King

I am very impressed - the game is looking excellent, so keep up the good work Firaxis.

I wonder about whether luxuries/resources are stackable with one another (ie. if you have two units of silk your people are happier than with one). I guess so, as you can see several resources/luxuries of the same type in one area.

Anyway, a job well done, Firaxis.
Old May 11, 2001, 20:42   #25
AcidReflux

ummm... the gfx aint all dat horrorshow, droogie... lack resolution... gimme fractals... not fuzz... im just playin civ cuz i love the ole ultraviolence... bita war and revolution... the Bog essence of our collective dream...
Old May 11, 2001, 20:43   #26
Ralf
King

Local Time: 02:01
Below Firaxis-answer really feels reassuring:

"Alexander,

Have no fear! You will indeed be able to decide which tiles within your city border your citizens "work"."

Great!! My only follow-up question is: Will I also be able to see what each tile actually contributes with, just as one could do in that clickable Civ-2/SMAC city-area view? I noticed there was no Civ/SMAC-style tile-output icons. Where are they?
Old May 11, 2001, 21:52   #27
Timeline
King

All I can say is *wow*. There is some really great stuff in this update.

For the next time it would be great to hear more talk about Minor Civs, and some more information about the number of civs in a game. Also, it would be really super to hear more about Nuclear Weapons: What kind of defenses are available against them, will instant retaliation be possible, how will it work ... etc.

----To Dan Magaha FIRAXIS: The Following Contents of This Post Are Irrelevent To Game Development, Please Do Not Waste Time Reading----

“Resources and luxuries outside of your borders can be made available by building a colony. Trade networks can also cross air and water via airports and harbors.”

This is fantastic!! I love the concept of colonies, nice implementation, very realistic, and of course, very fun! I very much like the concept of trade routes by air, also incredibly realistic and something I always dreamed about!

I know most you guys hate annoying graphics, but I think it would be cool if you could see the cargo planes taking off and flying to other cities (I.E. like SC3K), and boats making trade runs with appropriate graphics to whichever age you are in. I know, I know . . . Civ isn’t about graphics, but I can dream if I want too.

“Foreign nationals will reside in captured cities and may choose to resist your rule, or throw your city into revolt.”

Foreign Nationals? Great stuff ... great stuff! You really gotta keep an eye on them though, they’ll slip away from you the first chance they get.

“You'll be pleased to know that the "city view" is back, and will indeed reflect the current state of your city, from wonders to city improvements. You'll even be able to see differences in your city between major eras of the game. Finally, each civilization is reflected in the architecture of buildings within your city. Culture type and era (along with city size) will also determine how your city appears on the main map screen.”

Did you see the way cool city screen view? Look at the graphics, look at how they improved the forest and resolution. See guys? Not to be rude or anything, but IMHO you had no basis for complaining about how the city view screen looked. Great stuff Firaxis!! You still need have a little more work to on the map screen though.

Timeline

[This message has been edited by Timeline (edited May 11, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by Timeline (edited May 12, 2001).]
Old May 11, 2001, 22:02   #28
Lung
King

Local Time: 11:01
The graphics seem to be coming along nicely, yet i hope certain tiles continue to improve. Some tiles look like little more than blotches from a drunk's paintbrush! I'm guessing that they're trees, but they look like rejects from an Civ2 beta! Okay, so the paintbrush look fit's in with the Tower of Babel rule, but if one has t oguess that they're trees, then something is wrong.

That said, i must say that the rivers are fantastic, while the pine forests are a nice touch too It's also good that Civ3 is avoiding the "total beach" look of CTP, which was ridiculous. The Civ3 coasts look generic in that they're too macro to define beaches or rocks or cliffs. This is fine, although i would think that a nice touch would be to include a mixture of beaches and rocky headlands. Hill tiles on coasts should be reflected by cliffs, while mountains could be defined by a sharp drop into the sea with little or no shallows. Of course, they are no more than eye candy, but only serve to enhance the feel of the game.

Okay, so the game isn't finished, and neither are the graphics, but this is constructive criticism, so a couple of suggestions couldn't hurt

Bring on civ3!
Old May 11, 2001, 23:35   #29
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 18:01
Very, Very Nice. makes me drool again...

the resource thing was good, it worked for me using Netscape Communicator 4.5

So I guess a worker can build a colony, just to work that one resource...
so the colony disappears once the resource comes within your borders. do you get your worker back?

The one thing that I was hoping for during those munte-and-a-half long slide loads. waiting, waiting, will they do it? DANG! Didn't happen. I was hoping they'd finish the Pyramids and see it on the map. Either they didn't finish them, or wonders don't appear on the main map. Dang...
Old May 12, 2001, 01:10   #30
Chronus
Prince

I am very pleased to see that more emphasis is being placed on economic/infrastructure details.

By the way, I got a real kick out of the city view screenshot. The pyramid appears to have more brick and mortar than the entire city! LOL!