Old June 11, 2002, 11:43   #241
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 20:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm in, too... Let me know the 'rules'

And, congrats to Comrade LaFayette who completed the good works of megalomaniac Chairman STYOM

STYOM

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old June 11, 2002, 15:10   #242
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Congrats to all the Yer Mamas. You made it seem so easy; but then, that's what happens if you allow city bribing, isn't it???

We could all learn from watching a game where you had to plan and execute an invasion that didn't rely so much on dips. I know it would take longer and handing off the baton in mid-stride 'might' be tricky. It's just a sugestion...and I hope you make it 2.42 again.
Old June 11, 2002, 15:12   #243
Mercatia
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:14
Great fun guys can't wait til the next one!
Old June 11, 2002, 15:49   #244
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Calling all Gits:

This thread has been so valuable to me as a learning tool. Just one example--I finally "see" what you guys have meant when suggesting the value of Commie Gov't for conquest with Science. It never occurred to me before "seeing" it in the .sav uploads that the part that made the Strat work was a celebrating SSC. Now, of course, that seems obvious to me; but that piece wasn't mentioned (probably faulty memory on my part) in the discussions. That's just one example.

So, I am wondering about making a section in the Great Library for threads like this one. Call it Demonstrations or Illustrative Games or Puting the GL into practice. I think it would be very helpful.

You are the Godfather (s) of the Great Library and will know best how (or even if) this could be done. Another reason I addressed this to you is that you seem to have a penchant for creating these great learning threads. I recall with a smile the "Come laugh..." thread. That's just the thing I'm talking about. Thanks.
Old June 12, 2002, 03:45   #245
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Local Time: 02:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Bloody Monk
Congrats to all the Yer Mamas. You made it seem so easy; but then, that's what happens if you allow city bribing, isn't it???

We could all learn from watching a game where you had to plan and execute an invasion that didn't rely so much on dips. I know it would take longer and handing off the baton in mid-stride 'might' be tricky. It's just a sugestion...and I hope you make it 2.42 again.
..we'll try to make a no diplo/spies game in the next mad succession game, even if LaFayette won't be happy (of course 2.42)
Old June 12, 2002, 04:32   #246
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 02:14
No vet spies?
That is bad news...but we shall overcome
Old June 12, 2002, 09:24   #247
Bloody Monk
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Messer Niccolò

..we'll try to make a no diplo/spies game in the next mad succession game, even if LaFayette won't be happy (of course 2.42)
I like dips, especially lolitas, just not for bribing cities, and as well, no suitcase bombs. It's fun to seduce the militia of the AI and then send them against their former homeys. Bribing cities way over balances the game, IMHO. Going out for popcorn now to make ready for Mad II.
Old June 13, 2002, 14:05   #248
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 01:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Bloody Monk
So, I am wondering about making a section in the Great Library for threads like this one.
Glad you enjoyed the game ... join us in the next one.

The GL has a store of accepted knowledge which is a little different from some of the bizarre antics we get up to in succession games. These are more workshops so players can see the wisdom ... or otherwise...of employing certain strategies at a particular point in the game's development.

Most of all they are meant to be fun

---------------------

SG(2)
Old June 13, 2002, 15:18   #249
Bloody Monk
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits

Glad you enjoyed the game ... join us in the next one.

The GL has a store of accepted knowledge which is a little different from some of the bizarre antics we get up to in succession games. These are more workshops so players can see the wisdom ... or otherwise...of employing certain strategies at a particular point in the game's development.

Most of all they are meant to be fun

---------------------

SG(2)
Workshops--that is the point; and a better title for a section in the GL. The intro would be...okay, you've read the works in the GL. Here are some examples you can follow to illustrate all these fine words.

Different people learn in different ways is my other point. I've learned more in the last few months following these various games (thru sav files and logs) than from reading these fora the last three years. But, then, maybe it's just me. And I agree; it has been fun.
Old June 13, 2002, 17:03   #250
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:14
Hint, hint
Yes, by all means join us in It's a Mad Mad Scxn Game! Let's see if we can get the ball rolling. Tonight is a night off work for me…

[edit]
Harumph! Like anything actually works out that way… maybe later
[/edit]

Last edited by Straybow; June 15, 2002 at 05:56.