Old May 24, 2002, 17:03   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 19:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
strategic ressources
I applaud Firaxis for introducing strategic ressources to civ3. It improves trade, since civs will actually have something worth exchanging. Furthermore, ressources become something worth fighting over. Civs are going to have real reasons to start wars rather than just "well, I have to in order to win, don't I?"! In civ3, civs might decide to start a war to gain a precious ressource.

So, I definitely am extremely pleased with the addition of strategic and luxury ressources.

However, I have found myself in situations where I was basically screwed right from the start simply because my starting location lacked an important ressource. Specifically, I remember a game where I was playing as the Romans. I expanded fairly well, but there was no iron in sight. I was basically screwed because there was no way to get iron.

Some of you will probably respond that it is just the nature of the beast. It is part of the game and the player is suppose to just deal with it.

So, I ask the question: is this a problem or should the player just deal with it?
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old May 24, 2002, 17:19   #2
ShredZ
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Without some of the important resourse it can spell utter doom.

-Attack until you have it.
-Trade for it with luxuries etc.
-Be happy with archers only. ;P
Old May 24, 2002, 17:32   #3
zulu9812
King

Well, the key to civ3 is early expansion - the more territory you cover the more likely the resource will be within reach once you get the tech.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 24, 2002, 19:41   #4
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 20:15
Are You Serious?
I can't believe anyone is still playing with the ridiculously low appearance rates Firaxis concocted.

The rates Firaxis threw together are totally non-historical and screw up the entire game forcing civs to constantly go to war to get that needed resource - which sometimes disappears soon after you get it. Iron and coal especially were never that rare.

Edit up the appearance rates for resources to make them rare but not absurdly rare. I have iron at 177 and coal at 170, for instance.
Old May 24, 2002, 19:43   #5
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812
Well, the key to civ3 is early expansion - the more territory you cover the more likely the resource will be within reach once you get the tech.
A basic flaw in the system. In reality, pewking out crappy little towns all over the map as the AI does would result in eventual failure as they produce so little (due to corruption and bad terrain, and need for harbors) and can't be well defended during wars.
Old May 24, 2002, 20:09   #6
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 02:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

A basic flaw in the system. In reality, pewking out crappy little towns all over the map as the AI does would result in eventual failure as they produce so little (due to corruption and bad terrain, and need for harbors) and can't be well defended during wars.
So why is the AI so sucessful with this strategy then? (Don't tell me it cheats. I know that already.)
And please (please!), don't tell me anything about culture flipping any more...
Old May 24, 2002, 22:55   #7
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Re: Are You Serious?
Quote:
I can't believe anyone is still playing with the ridiculously low appearance rates Firaxis concocted.

The rates Firaxis threw together are totally non-historical and screw up the entire game forcing civs to constantly go to war to get that needed resource - which sometimes disappears soon after you get it. Iron and coal especially were never that rare.
Historical precedence is irrelevant. The gameplay is better without resources available to all... otherwise there would be no reason to have resources.
Old May 24, 2002, 23:55   #8
FrantzX
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Am I the only one who has Coracle on ignore?
Old May 25, 2002, 01:24   #9
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 17:15
Re: Are You Serious?
Quote:
I can't believe that one apearance for each civ would be considered ridiculously low by anyone.
Old May 25, 2002, 01:31   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Re: strategic ressources
Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
Some of you will probably respond that it is just the nature of the beast. It is part of the game and the player is suppose to just deal with it.

So, I ask the question: is this a problem or should the player just deal with it?
Well. My most satisying game yet was one where I was Rome. Had no Iron and later no Coal. I traded for them. In short, I dealt with it. Sorry.
Old May 25, 2002, 01:32   #11
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

A better way would be to have the resources everywhere(like historical play) but have extraction costs and amounts vary from place to place so while you might have oil, it would be more economical to purchase it from someone who has a lower extraction cost and more of it.

And no, the random values do not simulate this, I do not want my resource supply dependent on which milisecond I end the turn on.

And Ethelred that one appearance used to mean 1 coal on the map, its on a 1 tile island, and that tile is a mountain tile. Not fun.
Old May 25, 2002, 01:42   #12
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:15
Quote:
Am I the only one who has Coracle on ignore?
Probably not, but I need some humor in my life. Which he provides

Regarding lack of resources, you basically deal with it. Lack iron, trade for it, or prepare a group of the best units you can build without it, and take the site. Challenges of that sort are fun.
Old May 25, 2002, 01:43   #13
Ethelred
King

Quote:
And Ethelred that one appearance used to mean 1 coal on the map, its on a 1 tile island, and that tile is a mountain tile. Not fun.
Not used to mean. It can still happen that way. However if one civ is eliminated that means there is a enough again. Usually some civs have been eliminated by the time coal becomes available. Consequently there is usually a surplus of coal. Early in the game a shortage due to oddities like the one you mention is more likely than it is for coal.

The first game I won on monarch I had resource problems and had to wait till later before I could go to war. Don't expect to win every game. If you do want to win them all play on a lower level than the highest you can win on. I am thinking of doing that myself. I can win on Emperor as a builder-opportunist but its not as fun as Monarch was yet so I am thinking of playing on easier levels in the future.

For one thing on Emperor playing as a religious civ is very helpfull for a builder but I don't like being religous because I personally am NOT religious. Scientific just isn't as good an advantage in Civ.
Old May 25, 2002, 01:46   #14
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 21:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Probably not, but I need some humor in my life. Which he provides
Well, if that's what you want to call it.

Sounds less like humor to me, and more like "I hate everything Firaxis or Civ related and I must constantly make this fact known to all the civilized world at least twice per hour."
Old May 25, 2002, 10:28   #15
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I think that strategic resources SHOULD be less evenly distributed.

Think about RL distribution of iron (or the tech for it), horses, oil, aluminum, etc., and the impact on various civ's development.

Now apply that to the game... get creative.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 25, 2002, 10:47   #16
The diplomat
King

Thanks all for your interesting replies.

Sure, it is true that you could simply change the appearance rates for the ressources. But I don't like to muddle with things like that.

In most of my games, I do just "deal with it". I remember another game I played as the Romans, where I lacked iron, but I was able to trade for it, build some legions then conquer the poor civ that gave me the iron.

I was just wondering what people thought of this, since there were times when ressource distribution really messed up my games.

To further the debate, what if strategic ressources gave a bonus to a specific unit instead of being mandatory to build that unit? Thus, everybody could build swordsman without iron, but the civ that had iron would build better swordsman. This would keep ressources important but not doom a civ because of a bad starting position.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old May 25, 2002, 12:16   #17
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
To further the debate, what if strategic ressources gave a bonus to a specific unit instead of being mandatory to build that unit? Thus, everybody could build swordsman without iron, but the civ that had iron would build better swordsman. This would keep ressources important but not doom a civ because of a bad starting position.
I think they should stay mandatory. Agreed, I was annoyed when I was Japan and didn't have iron to build my Samurais and nobody wanted to sell it either. But hey, that tought me that I should have expanded earlier...
The strategic resources stuff makes the game more challenging. You can for instance do major damage to your enemy by cutting off his trade roads to the iron, horses, etc.
Old May 25, 2002, 12:34   #18
Txurce
Prince

I like the resource system and, if anything, would occasionally enjoy at least one resource being even more rare, so that efforts to control it would have to lead to war.

Part of the fun of the game for me is rising to the occasion, once I get over my sense that the world has screwed me. If you lose, it sucks; if you ein, it's the best. The Emperor game I enjoyed most required me to invade another continent to saltpeter, even though I controlled my own land mass. My favorite Monarch game found me alone with the Aztecs on a good-sized island, so that the UU was totally wasted; later, I had to war against the #1 civ from my island empire to acquire not one, but two, resources.
Old May 25, 2002, 13:26   #19
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Exactly, Txurce.

And what overall strategic impact do those kinds of games have on your empire?

Meaning, did the lack of certain resources, and / or the nature of landmasses, change your "normal" balance between research, economics, building and warfare? Did it change the order of research? Did it change the military strategies you would have otherwise pursued?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 25, 2002, 17:17   #20
Txurce
Prince

Theseus, the Aztec game was Monarch/standard v. 1.16, and early enough in my development that I particularly favored the Aztecs' super-fast start. I found myself on a good-sized, green island... alone. There went the UU's value, and pretty much the value of the militaristic trait. At that level/version, decent research was possible up certain tech trees, and I focused on making contact and starting little colonies all over the place - two things I otherwise never do. I was more-or-less even on techs by the start of the medieval era, and felt confident that, thanks to the human's huge focus advantage, I would win the space race. I focused on science (which of course makes you theoretically state-of-the-art militarily), and gritted my teeth as I got pushed out of some of my overseas holdings by the Romans, whose home continent it was. (Yes, I got even later.) All was going well, even though there was another fly in the ointment: I had no uranium. When the Persian superpower decided that I was the next neck to go on the block for their perpetually swinging miltary axe... and the closest source of uranium to my civ was across a channel in their sparsely populated, newly conquered territory... my strategy coalesced. I couldn't conquer Persia - but I could take the uranium and maybe fight them to a standstill that would eventually lead to peace. So I built some subs to protect my home island, enough transports to have every-turn unit transfers to the uranium territories, and cranked out tanks... all the while building the space ship in my biggest cities. My invasion caught the overly confident and over-extended Persians by surprise; I secured my uranium source, and set about taking enough cities that they would sue for peace. It was tough, because they were bigger and on their home continent with railroads (although I severed their lines [with JWs!] as often as possible, so as to hit their counterattack before it could hit me). I would lose some cities, but take them back, and make incremental progress away from the uranium and toward their original Persian cities. Eventually, they sued for peace and... a couple of minor wars later... I won the space race.

My Emperor game (standard everything, v.1.17) was my first success with the Iroquois. I was on a small continent with the Americans, whom I destroyed with the MWs, picking up the Pyramids and the continent by 90BC, at which point I switched to republic. Up until this point, I was playing my standard game, with the intent to switch to builder mode and win the space race with less than 20 cities. All I was missing was... iron. (Not saltpeter, as I wrote earlier.) The Persians were on the bigger continent next door, steadily having their way with the Zulu. I built a galley-borne invasion force of six MWs, and took the coastal city with the iron. I lost the city later, the stirred-up Persians would never leave me alone and... because I wanted less than 20 cities... eventually razed their continent. Yes, barbarians sprung up all over the place, dashing themselves against my tanks, which guarded a plethora of luxury colonies. I never stopped my standard space-race approach, however, even though I built my first major modern-day invasion force to take a couple of the German superpower's cities later on. The recurring theme here was that, because I refused to get big, people kept picking on me. It made the game a blast, because I had to constantly adjust my strategy. The research never varied much, though, and this is one of Civ3's weaknesses - it should have.
Old May 25, 2002, 17:47   #21
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The diplomat. One of the best fan suggestions I've seen was based on the object of giving resource starved civs access to the neat toys. It was Vel's Mod with No Name (abandoned unfortunately). I think they were going to allow the civ without the resource to build the unit for double the shield cost.

Personally, I would favour slightly weaker versions of the units and keep the same or similar shield cost. Tank>LightTank. Battleship>BattleCruiser. And so on.

Resources would still be important, but not the killer they are now. The biggest reason I can think of to implement such a scheme is not to aid me BTW. I usually find a way to cope. However, it would make the AI much more of a challenge. If I never see a Longbowman built to counter my Tanks ever again it will be too soon.

Last edited by notyoueither; May 26, 2002 at 16:58.
Old May 25, 2002, 19:21   #22
Denday
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:15
the way they have tried to do it with resouces is they only have major depoits not little ones which would only last 1 turn remeber in one turn 50 years can go past and with so much time only a few deposits will go the distance.
but after that i still beleve the resouces are to scarce but that does give them reason.
Old May 26, 2002, 15:57   #23
gozpel
Settler

So now I know why the clever Babs plopped down their second city 8 squares away from their capitol. First I thought it was only to stop my expansion, but after researching Iron working, the only deposit on the visible map was next to their little city in the middle of nowhere...and the next turn they dare to ask to trade Iron working. So they didn't know that tech...hmmm...why build that city so far away from Babylon then? They even walked past nice pastures with a cow and a river...

I suspect cheating here

Oh well, i send my merry band of 15 horsemen and take the city, and great now I can build swordsmen...just to see the frigging mine being depleted in no time! From now on I set iron on zero disappearance, like horses.
Old May 26, 2002, 16:56   #24
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:15
Yes, the AI gets to view the entire map, including resources, at all times. This was proved by anyone who ever used the multi cheat to watch the AI make beelines straight towards ever meaningful strategic resource including the ones they couldn't "see" yet.
Still if you get the needed tech before the AI you can still start a war with him and take the resource away from him.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 26, 2002, 18:43   #25
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Yes, the AI gets to view the entire map, including resources, at all times
Not entirely true. They do get to know where the strategic resources are, that has been confirmed by Firaxis. They may know the entire map but that has never been confirmed. They definitly don't know where everything is. They will send settlers to areas that are filled up with my cities. They don't turn back untill the unit can see the area is full.
Old May 26, 2002, 18:58   #26
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred

Not entirely true. They do get to know where the strategic resources are, that has been confirmed by Firaxis. They may know the entire map but that has never been confirmed. They definitly don't know where everything is. They will send settlers to areas that are filled up with my cities. They don't turn back untill the unit can see the area is full.
All of which is why Firaxis killed the popular "multi.sav" cheat and why there is no Cheat Mode as in Civ 2 - it proves how much their AI CHEATS.

The AI does know the map and sends settlers arroganrtly wandering through my territory. After two turns of telling them to leave we finally get to the "declare war" or else phase. So what happens?? The AI settlers teleport themselves across my territory to the other side and wind up right in the middle of a handful of open tiles no one else should even know are there. That's a Cheat.

It is also stupid, this settler diarrhea flood, because those crappy towns never produce much, are very hard to defend during war, and sometimes Culture Flip, although that idea is so lame I try to give flipped cities back.

Yes, the AI CHEATS.
Old May 26, 2002, 19:29   #27
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred
Not entirely true. They do get to know where the strategic resources are, that has been confirmed by Firaxis.
The AI has definitely no clue about the map before it discovers it. This includes strategic and luxury resources, which are not "light spots on dark background". Once a site with a strategic resource is discovered, the AI knows, that there's something valuable, but probably not what it is, before it has the appropriate tech.

Coracle: Thanks... your post made my evening!

EDIT: Btw, I saw today an AI suicide galley attempt before my coast. The galley sailed out of my sight, but returned the next turn. I first thought, the AI settled on an island. But later, when I discovered the map there, I saw nothing there, but water. It seems to be just a blind try. If the AI knew the map, this move would not make sense at all. If the galley was "ocean going", it would not make sense to return the next turn and continue to sail along my coast.

Last edited by Harovan; May 26, 2002 at 19:36.
Old May 26, 2002, 19:57   #28
Ethelred
King

Quote:

All of which is why Firaxis killed the popular "multi.sav" cheat and why there is no Cheat Mode as in Civ 2 - it proves how much their AI CHEATS.
Still waiting for some evidence of cheating Coracle. We allready know that YOU want to cheat.

Quote:
The AI does know the map and sends settlers arroganrtly wandering through my territory.
If they knew the everything on the map they wouldn't send settlers into filled up territory.

Quote:
After two turns of telling them to leave we finally get to the "declare war" or else phase. So what happens?? The AI settlers teleport themselves across my territory to the other side and wind up right in the middle of a handful of open tiles no one else should even know are there. That's a Cheat.
That can happen with you as well so its not a cheat. I just ignore those silly settlers. They can't hurt me unless I freak out over them. If I think they can bother me I just set one or two weak units to slow them down till I have the territory that they might want.

Quote:
It is also stupid, this settler diarrhea flood, because those crappy towns never produce much, are very hard to defend during war, and sometimes Culture Flip, although that idea is so lame I try to give flipped cities back.

Yes, the AI CHEATS.
I am waiting for evidence Coracle. The only sure thing the AI knows is the resources. Everything else is just your own paranoia based on YOUR irratation at not being able to cheat yourself.
Old May 26, 2002, 22:57   #29
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

"Don't expect to win every game. "

Coal is not part of any victory condition, what does it have to do with winning? Don't need coal to build the un, don't need coal to build the space ship, don't need coal to pop rush a bunch of horsies and win the game before coal is discovered. That is just not fun to be stuck in one era of the game ALONG WITH the ai, instead of being able to move forward. So I diserned how the resource information is stored in the save file,among other things, and it was no longer a problem.

"quote:

The AI does know the map and sends settlers arroganrtly wandering through my territory.

If they knew the everything on the map they wouldn't send settlers into filled up territory.
"

This is a known exploit, take a unit, cover up the 1 tile he KNOWS is not covered by your radius, watch him turn around, then move off the tile, watch him turn back, etc can't believe you called him on this one ethelred.
Old May 26, 2002, 23:12   #30
Ethelred
King

Quote:
So I diserned how the resource information is stored in the save file,among other things, and it was no longer a problem.
So instead of accepting the fact that you can't win every game you decided to cheat. The rest of that was mere rationalyzing.

Quote:
This is a known exploit, take a unit, cover up the 1 tile he KNOWS is not covered by your radius, watch him turn around, then move off the tile, watch him turn back, etc can't believe you called him on this one ethelred.
I have watched them continue on while I COVERED the spots. I had them blocked and on they came till they reached the same visual range that I have in the game. That is why I called him on it. I have seen that I was right on this. It surprised me considering just how many people were insisting on the opposite just like you are doing right now.

How about you test this yourself? I have done so allready.